Apr 15 - Gangsta Giant African Snails Taking Over South Florida. Cant Stop Em.

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
228 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
105 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
159 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
9557 pageviews
55 comments

Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067
space
space
$22,887 | Props total: 5118 5118
Apr 15 - Gangsta Giant African Snails Taking Over South Florida. Cant Stop Em.

(Reuters) - South Florida is f!ghting a growing infestation of one of the world's most destructive invasive species: the giant African land snail, which can grow as big as a rat and gnaw through stucco and plaster.

More than 1,000 of the mollusks are being caught each week in Miami-Dade and 117,000 in total since the first snail was spotted by a homeowner in September 2011, said Denise Feiber, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Residents will soon likely begin encountering them more often, crunching them underfoot as the snails emerge from underground hibernation at the start of the state's rainy season in just seven weeks, Feiber said.

The snails attack "over 500 known species of plants ... pretty much anything that's in their path and green," Feiber said.

In some Caribbean countries, such as Barbados, which are overrun with the creatures, the snails' shells blow out tires on the highway and turn into hurling projectiles from lawnmower blades, while their slime and excrement coat walls and pavement.

"It becomes a slick mess," Feiber said.

A typical snail can produce about 1,200 eggs a year and the creatures are a particular pest in homes because of their fondness for stucco, devoured for the calcium content they need for their shells.

The snails also carry a parasitic rat lungworm that can cause illness in humans, including a form of meningitis, Feiber said, although no such cases have yet been identified in the United States.

EXOTIC INVASION

The snails' saga is something of a sequel to the Florida horror show of exotic species invasions, including the well-known infestation of giant Burmese pythons, which became established in the Everglades in 2000. There is a long list of destructive non-native species that thrive in the state's moist, subtropical climate.

Experts gathered last week in Gainesville, Florida, for a Giant African Land Snail Science Symposium, to seek the best ways to eradicate the mollusks, including use of a stronger bait approved recently by the federal government.

Feiber said investigators were trying to trace the snail infestation source. One possibility being examined is a Miami Santeria group, a religion with West African and Caribbean roots, which was found in 2010 to be using the large snails in its rituals, she said. But many exotic species come into the United States unintentionally in freight or tourists' baggage.

"If you got a ham sandwich in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic, or an orange, and you didn't eat it all and you bring it back into the States and then you discard it, at some point, things can emerge from those products," Feiber said.

Authorities are expanding a series of announcements on buses, billboards and in movie theaters urging the public to be on the lookout.

The last known Florida invasion of the giant mollusks occurred in 1966, when a boy returning to Miami from a vacation in Hawaii brought back three of them, possibly in his jacket pockets. His grandmother eventually released the snails into her garden where the population grew in seven years to 17,000 snails. The state spent $1 million and 10 years eradicating them.

Feiber said many people unfamiliar with the danger viewed the snails as cute pets.

"They're huge, they move around, they look like they're looking at you ... communicating with you, and people enjoy them for that," Feiber said. "But they don't realize the devastation they can create if they are released into the environment where they don't have any natural enemies and they thrive."
visit this link Florida battles slimy invasion by giant snails | Reuters

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 04-15-2013 at 03:03 AM..

55 comments for "Apr 15 - Gangsta Giant African Snails Taking Over South Florida. Cant Stop Em."

5 years ago '10        #2
WalmartRollback 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,959 | Props total: 109 109
I'd be pissed considering their shells can blow out tires.
 5 years ago '05        #3
Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067 OP
space
space
Am i weird for ignoring the snail and saying "She got some nice feets?"

[video - click to view]

Snails are so gangsta they eat the stucco of the side of houses... Something a lot of cribs have down there. Bad part, they use that calcium to grow 10x bigger.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Snail theme song

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 04-15-2013 at 03:04 AM..
 5 years ago '10        #4
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,864 | Props total: 13652 13652
"If you got a ham sandwich in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic, or an orange, and you didn't eat it all and you bring it back into the States and then you discard it, at some point, things can emerge from those products," Feiber said.
that sh*t got me buggin out

The last known Florida invasion of the giant mollusks occurred in 1966, when a boy returning to Miami from a vacation in Hawaii brought back three of them, possibly in his jacket pockets. His grandmother eventually released the snails into her garden where the population grew in seven years to 17,000 snails. The state spent $1 million and 10 years eradicating them

5 years ago '07        #5
cankstoochie 48 heat pts48
space
space
$16,575 | Props total: 1045 1045
If you got a ham sandwich in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic, or an orange, and you didn't eat it all and you bring it back into the States and then you discard it, at some point, things can emerge from those products," Feiber said.

Wait... What!!!!!!

Wheres bugs bunny?
 5 years ago '11        #6
Sin 1257 heat pts1257
space
space
$18,358 | Props total: 38969 38969
i know how to take care of snails SALT

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '12        #7
Middy 
space
space
space
$238 | Props total: 1 1

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #8
Yung Dilla 1478 heat pts1478
space
space
$54,860 | Props total: 25605 25605
May its true bad pork has all kind of nasty sh*t with it. If you have some bad pork and pour some alcohol on it maggots start coming out and crawling around. Another reason I don't put pork on my plate.
 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM         #9
Chopzilla 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #10
Alixix 27 heat pts27
space
space
$4,721 | Props total: 25 25
not to mention that those snails are as3xually reproduce so its gonna be hell getting rid of all of them lol
 5 years ago '05        #11
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,036 | Props total: 1400 1400
miami gets the good sh*t..i want to see one here
 5 years ago '06        #12
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
space
$13,450 | Props total: 2645 2645
 Yung Dilla said:
May its true bad pork has all kind of nasty sh*t with it. If you have some bad pork and pour some alcohol on it maggots start coming out and crawling around. Another reason I don't put pork on my plate.
n*ggaz still believe this smh
no what happens is a fly lays its eggs on it and it hatches and then u see the maggots coming out of it...
i did a science project dealing with soda and meats where u put a steak in some coke and no maggots appeared
 5 years ago '05        #13
space
space
 datVAkid said:
n*ggaz still believe this smh
no what happens is a fly lays its eggs on it and it hatches and then u see the maggots coming out of it...
i did a science project dealing with soda and meats where u put a steak in some coke and no maggots appeared
yep, only contaminated meats have worms.

But i agree with dude stop fuking wit swine.
 5 years ago '05        #14
n@tedogg|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,677 | Props total: 8 8
Sup with the f*ggot with snails on each side of his face??

5 years ago '04        #15
hedake 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$5,625 | Props total: 9937 9937
 Middy said:

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #16
space
space

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

melted, n*gga started letting out smoke like he was vaping a cig.

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 04-15-2013 at 09:06 PM..
 5 years ago '13        #17
puffmypiff2k9 71 heat pts71
space
space
$2,133 | Props total: 30 30
them some nice feet doe
 5 years ago '12        #18
You Hater 1447 heat pts1447
space
space
$42,393 | Props total: 19883 19883
 Liv2tell said:
them some nice feet doe
 5 years ago '07        #19
Jay-Vab 
space
space
space
$693 | Props total: 106 106
escargot for days!

5 years ago '05        #20
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,887 | Props total: 104 104
i will k!ll any i see (im in South FL) on site!

they carry all types of bacteria that have the potential or are zoonotic and can infect humans, as well (as the article states) can cause meningitis, this is not something you want crawling on your face like the moron in the picture, he deserves to get sick for being a complete idiot.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
57 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
18 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
17 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Sony drops the price of PSVR bundles by $100 for the holidays
30 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
101 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
102 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy