Ten Health Benefits of Cold Showers

most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
35 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #1
7811 pageviews
68 comments

Rick Ross 224 heat pts224
space
space
$10,714 | Props total: 11210 11210

visit this link http://www.guidinginstinc .. d-showers.html

By Jordan & Kyla Miller

Contributing Writers for Wake Up World

How many of us can actually say that we take regular cold showers? If you’re from a colder climate, the number is likely to be even less. However, cold showers and baths have a long history in many cultures, and for good reason. Vincenz Priessnitz, a farmer in the 1920s, developed and marketed a medical treatment he called hydrotherapy. He sold the concept of using cold water to cure a long list of aliments, and achieved almost instant success. As the 20th century moved along however, the popularity of hydrotherapy began to decline and falter when medical professionals began to rely more on drugs to treat illnesses and the luxury of hot showers began to increase. However, the use of hydrotherapy as a viable medical treatment never completely stopped. Here are 10 of the many reasons why:

1. Strengthens Immunity

Cold showers are sometimes touted as a preventative tonic for colds, flu, and infections. An experiment in Prague studied the effect of cold water immersions on athletic young men. They immersed themselves in water at 14°C (57°F), three times a week for six weeks. Among many changes, they saw increased levels of two types of white blood cells: monocytes and lymphocytes. While certain lymphocytes are instrumental in eliminating bacteria, viruses, and toxins; monocytes are indirectly responsible for the engulfing and consuming of pathogens and foreign materials. Researchers believe that the increased metabolic rate, which results from the body’s attempt to warm itself up, activates the immune system and releases more white blood cells in response. Therefore, it is reasonable to a.ssume that people who take regular cold showers are less likely to develop colds, flu’s, and even some forms of cancer.

2. Improves Blood Circulation

Good blood circulation is vital for overall cardiovascular health. Alternating between hot and cold water while showering, is an easy way to improve circulation. When exposed to cold water, our arteries and veins constrict or tighten. This process is called “vasoconstriction”. The tightening helps blood to flow at a higher pressure as now there is less space for the blood to flow, meaning circulation will improve. “Vasodilation”, the opposite effect, and is done when we are exposed to heat. The natural tendency of the body when it is exposed to cold is that your blood rapidly circulates to your vital organs to keep them warm, hence increasing your overall blood circulation. Why should you be conscious of having good circulation? Well, it prevents such problems as hypertension, hardening of the arteries, and the appearance of varicose veins. Good circulation improves the performance of your system and thus help looking and feeling better.

3. Regulates Temperature

Cold showers provide a gentle form of stress that leads to thermogenesis (internal generation of body heat), which in turn activates the body’s adaptive repair systems. If you suffer from chronically cold hands and feet, or feel that you sweat an abnormal amount, try a cold shower.

4. Promotes Weight Loss / Increases Metabolism

Brown fat, as opposed to white fat is heavily involved in burning energy. Exposure to cold naturally stimulates the production of these brown fats. These cells burn glucose to try and produce as much heat energy as possible. Having a higher amount of brown fat leads to more energy being burned per second and therefore, more weight is lost. As a result of the increased brown fat levels, and the increased blood pressure and body temperature, chemical reactions in the body will happen faster than they would have without regular cold showers. An increased metabolism is what a lot of people seek for because it means that any process in the body will become more efficient; meaning more weight loss will be seen and more growth/repair of muscles and otherwise will be seen.

5. Alleviates Depression

Depression is yet another thing that cold showers can help and prevent. Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University indicates that cold water has a stimulating effect on the brains “blue spot”, the main source of noradrenaline for our bodies. Noradrenaline is a chemical that might be used to help alleviate depression.

6. Improves Lymphatic Movement

The lymphatic system is a system of tubing separate from our blood vessels that is responsible for carrying away waste from your cells as well as help f!ght pathogens (disease). Unlike blood vessels, the lymphatic system does not have blood, it has lymph, which carries away waste products and white blood cells which handle infection. Also different from blood vessels is that the heart does not pump lymph around the body like it does the blood. The lymph relies on the contraction of muscles. This contraction squeezes the lymph up to the thoracic duct so that the lymph can mix with the blood and then be dealt with by organs. Cold showers cause whole-body contraction and this works excellently with the lymph system, squeezing the fluid up through the body. If the lymphatic system is compromised and not efficient, then the fluid pools at faraway places (usually the feet). This results in what is known as lymphedema (a type of edema).

7. Deepens Breathing

What you will notice as an effect of cold showers is that you begin inhaling very deeply. This is to try and combat the stress of the shock, the vasoconstriction and the overall need for oxygen to respire and keep oneself warm. This process opens up the lungs much like strenuous physical exercise does and results in a higher average intake of oxygen, which is good for many things like not feeling tired during the day and doing better at sport or other exercises.

8. Keeps Skin and Hair Healthy

It is well known that hot water dries out our skin and hair. On the other hand, cold water can make our hair look shinier and our skin look healthier by tightening cuticles and pores, preventing them from getting clogged, thus reducing blemishes like acne. Cold water also contributes to detoxification which results in the squeezing of toxins and waste products out of the skin. This detoxification has a good effect on the skin which appears more clean and young. Additionally, the cold water closes the cuticle which makes the hair stronger and prevents dirt from easily accumulating within our scalp. Stronger hair, of course, prevents hair from easily falling out and it helps in slowing down overall hair loss.

9. Increases Energy and Wellbeing

There are plenty of mental benefits to ending your shower with cold water. The ancient samurai warriors used to pour buckets of cold river water on their heads every morning in a Shinto practice called Misogi. This was a purification ritual on a spiritual level. They believe that it cleansed their spirit and helped start a fresh new day. A cold shower can definitely leave one feeling invigorated and energized. The heart starts pumping, and the rush of blood through the body helps shake off the lethargy of the previous night’s sleep. Additionally, while there are not many studies to confirm, many people swear that cold showers are a definite stress reducer.

10. Increases Hormone Production

Cold water showers have the ability to increase hormone production and activity by giving the body’s glands a boost. For example, cold showers can be of great benefit to the reproductive system when trying to conceive a child. A man’s testes are not meant to get too hot; that’s why they hang outside of a man’s body. Sperm counts decrease when the temperature of a man’s testes increases. In fact, experiments done in the 1950s showed that hot baths were an effective contraceptive. Men who took a 30 minute hot bath every other day for 3 weeks were infertile for the next six months. More recently, the University of California at San Francisco did a study with men who were exposed to 30 minutes of “wet heat” (hot baths, saunas and such) a week. When the men cut this exposure out, their sperm count went up by 491%, and their sperm’s motility improved as well. While switching from a hot to cold shower may not have as dramatic an effect, if you’re trying to reproduce, it surely won’t hurt. Furthermore, it has been said that cold water therapy helps regulate the endocrine system (including the adrenals and thyroid).

How to Start

Gradually adjusting from hot to cold showers is recommended. For many, a drastic change in temperature would be too much a stress to their body. Push yourself to step outside your comfort zone, while at the same time listen to what your body can handle. A great way to implement cold showers into your daily routine is by turning the water to cold for the last 30 seconds to a minute of your shower. Give it a try and see what benefits you experience. Who knows, maybe the secret to the fountain of youth is hidden within cold showers.

68 comments for "Ten Health Benefits of Cold Showers"

5 years ago '08        #2
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,487 | Props total: 579 579
I love cold showers tho lol... Mainly only doing that in the Summer tho or at least when the temperature outside is decent for it.
 5 years ago '08        #3
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,972 | Props total: 7397 7397
hate cold showers. Went to Africa for 3 weeks had to deal with it tho. They had the hot lever in the bathtub making me think that sh*t was gonnna be warm. That first shower shook me the hell up.
 5 years ago '08        #4
M 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,199 | Props total: 5322 5322
I've been trying to take cool showers lately, mostly cause I knew it would benefit my skin and hair, nice to know there are other benefits as well
 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM         #5
typicalblackman 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'ma try and get back on the cold shower wagon.
 5 years ago '04        #6
D1nOnlyMrM@ 43 heat pts43
space
space
$12,461 | Props total: 1455 1455
i hate cold showers except in the summer.
 5 years ago '04        #7
RoyceDa59 240 heat pts240
space
space
$14,969 | Props total: 4681 4681
I've been doing this for about a month now, gotten used to it and it feels great. I feel like this guy

[video - click to view]

@ 1:36
 5 years ago '07        #8
Goosie McNeen 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,756 | Props total: 762 762
You don't just hop in cold, you slowly turn the cold on during the last few minutes. Your body will gradually adjust.
 5 years ago '09        #9
Zaosyn 261 heat pts261
space
space
$14,072 | Props total: 1120 1120
You're so fu*king dumb if you do this sh*t. The increase in metabolism is probably not significant enough to create a measurable change in weight, infact I KNOW it's not without even looking it up I absolutely hate worthless sh*t like this that gets spouted.

Not mad @ you TS, just in general because I know people who will do this
 5 years ago '07        #10
J_Duece 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,753 | Props total: 876 876
 Zaosyn said:
You're so fu*king dumb if you do this sh*t. The increase in metabolism is probably not significant enough to create a measurable change in weight, infact I KNOW it's not without even looking it up I absolutely hate worthless sh*t like this that gets spouted.

Not mad @ you TS, just in general because I know people who will do this
You have studies that disproves this my son?

Last edited by J_Duece; 04-09-2013 at 02:58 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #11
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,878 | Props total: 13677 13677
I just took the phattest hot shower ever
So hot showers does the opposite of what this piece is talking about? I can't stand cold water except for on my face. Might try it out tho...
 5 years ago '05        #12
the407problem 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,516 | Props total: 231 231
cool sh*t. i love cold showers. probably cause the hot water heater in my apartment runs of gas and im afraid of that sh*t so i never had them hook it up lol plus i live in FL so its always hot out
 5 years ago '08        #13
AKMPLCE 34 heat pts34
space
space
$3,851 | Props total: 1097 1097
i take warm showers like 90% of the time but i do enjoy myself some cold showers.. sometimes i do feel energized and fresh right after a cold shower ..all of this makes sense tho.. the cold water usually makes my heart rate go up which goes with circulation so i will try and take more cold showers more often now knowing that there are actual benefits... sometimes when i have an injury i switch back and forth from hot to cold..
 04-09-2013, 03:04 PM         #14
KiddKidd45 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
very interesting
 5 years ago '10        #15
Account001 
space
space
$3,342 | Props total: 180 180
+1

will try
 5 years ago '05        #16
TheChief 23 heat pts23
space
space
$6,191 | Props total: 9389 9389
I live in LA and have been taking hot showers ever since I could remember, no wonder I shoot blanks
 5 years ago '12        #17
ALTheGreatS 23 heat pts23
space
space
$4,470 | Props total: 900 900
I normally take it during the summer, all days of the season. However I will try to incorporate it into my daily showers starting from today.
 5 years ago '11        #18
indagame 20 heat pts20
space
space
$8,484 | Props total: 6347 6347
i heard about some of these but I remember hearing/reading that hot water is good for your face or acne because it opens up your pores

Anybody have any more info on that?
 5 years ago '11        #19
indagame 20 heat pts20
space
space
$8,484 | Props total: 6347 6347
 Ghost Writer said:
Well it's good to start with Warm (not hot, hot water is actually bad for your face) because it does open your pores but you want to finish with cold to close them back up. You don't want your pores to stay open after you wash your face.
ok
so like in the morning sometimes i don't take a shower if I don't have to go anywhere but i still wash my face with Clearasil
So what I wanna do is wet my face with warm water apply the Clearasil and wash it off with cold water?
 5 years ago '05        #20
Panopticon 42 heat pts42
space
space
$23,925 | Props total: 11287 11287
Pseudoscience at its best. The studies are very weak in terms of causation, and nothing is even close to definitive. One of the cited pieces used 10 students from one university in Prague. The other paper seems to just be a hypothesis discussion based on the data of others, and no real claims are made.

If you like taking cold showers, go for it. The articles she cites at the end don't even come close to supporting what she writes.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
109 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
187 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
97 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
64 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy