[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
53 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
234 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
157 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
7598 pageviews
95 comments

ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,705 | Props total: 22071 22071
[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

visit this link What The Tech Ep. 159 - Facebook Home 4-5-13 - YouTube

Apparently Microsoft is launching a 99$ Xbox 360 codenamed "Stingray" this November alongside of the Next Xbox.

According to Paul this is because the next Xbox isn't going to offer backwards compatibility for 360 games.

He mentions that it's going to be expensive. Apparently around 500$ for a normal unit, or 300$ for a subscription model.
It was also relayed to him that the device does indeed require a constant internet connection to function, although that is better discussed in this dedicated thread.

He also mentions that nothing that he has read about the next Xbox sounded negative to him.

Here's the Transcript.

"The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year.

"So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they're also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don't actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they're making one—I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know, that I'm guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

"Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says 'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like 'Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes' or something like that. I don't even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you're playing against other people online. Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

"Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April—April 24—now they're going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we're going to learn more about Durango.

[And it's a fourth quarter release, right?]

"Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they're going to talk about the developer story because it's a Windows 8 device. It's going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff. So I think there's a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I've seen about Durango and I think, 'it's all positive.' I don't really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I've seen about this is really positive. It's amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a sh-t what it looks like?

"I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you've seen literally nothing from Microsoft.

[I don't think that's even a possibility considering how many people use Xbox LIVE... You're not going to have this mass Xbox audience jumping to Sony.]

"The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones.

95 comments for "[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil"

04-07-2013, 05:54 PM         #2
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
$500 for a NORMAL unit. Wonder what the premium is.
 5 years ago '11        #3
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
5 Bills + Always on DRM? They can kick rocks
 5 years ago '04        #4
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
around the 55 minute mark of the video
 5 years ago '11        #5
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
no BC?
 5 years ago '07        #6
CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943
space
space
$27,639 | Props total: 16733 16733
I think M$ may be taking on way top many ppl with one device. If done right they can secure their future for a while. If not they will be in trouble. They aren't just going against Sony. They are battling apple, Google, Samsung, smart TVs, etc.

This is about Windows and securing the last bastion of hope they have.

PCs are dying, win8 tablets arenttaking off. Smart TVs are the next big thing. And a win with the new Xbox puts them ahead of Google, apple and their competitors.

Last edited by CadillacVyse; 04-07-2013 at 07:34 PM..
 5 years ago '09        #7
WILLIAM 49 heat pts49
space
space
space
$22,616 | Props total: 1791 1791
I dont mind
 5 years ago '04        #8
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
Damn if that 5/21 reveal date is true...might as well wait two more weeks and unveil it at E3...
 5 years ago '11        #9
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 CadillacVyse said:
I think M$ may be trading on way top many ppl with one device. If done right they can secure their future for a while. If not they will be in trouble. They aren't just going against Sony. They are battling apple, Google, Samsung, smart TVs, etc.

This is about Windows and securing the last bastion of hope they have.

PCs are dying, win8 tablets sent taking off. Smart TVs are the next big thing. And a win with the new Xbox puts them ahead of Google, apple and their competitors.
What??
 5 years ago '05        #10
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,626 | Props total: 13698 13698
 Danai said:
What??
PC sales have declined year over year since the iPad released. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are dying but they are definitely losing market share.
 5 years ago '04        #11
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8912 8912
i don't mind the $499.99 price tag, but MS really has to clarify the "always online" thing.

I'm not buying a game system that becomes a brick if its not connected to the internet.

Electricity & a TV monitor should be all a game console needs to function.
 5 years ago '09        #12
dadon85 135 heat pts135
space
space
space
$30,177 | Props total: 13439 13439
$500 and still pay for online. That bi*ch better do it all. Come out the ate beastin. Tired of rumors. M$ reveil so I can make my decision .
 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM         #13
vgcinematics 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Noted Windows blogger Paul Thurrott has claimed during the latest What The Tech episode (via NeoGAF) that the Xbox 720 will launch in November beginning at $300 for a subscription-based model. A standard model will sell for around $500, he said.

He described the platform overall as "expensive."

The Xbox 720 won't be the only new Xbox on shelves this season, Thurrott claimed. The writer said Microsoft is planning a $99 "Stingray" Xbox 360. He did not provide any further information about this platform.

Thurrott also shared information about the Xbox 720's reported always-online requirement. He said this a confirmed feature for the platform, claiming the system's notes specifically state that the Xbox 720 "must be Internet-connected to use."

The Xbox 720 reportedly stops functioning if an Internet connection drops for three minutes.

As for when the Xbox 720 could be announced, Thurrott said Microsoft is planning a reveal event on May 21. This matches up with an recent analyst report suggesting Microsoft was readying a reveal next month.

The blogger added that Microsoft will share further information about the Xbox 720 during two June events: the Electronic Entertainment Expo and the Build 2013 developer conference.

Thurrott further claimed that Microsoft was working on an entertainment-focused Xbox that would not play games. He said this device was called "Yumo," and speculated that Microsoft decided not to pursue this so as not to confuse the market.

A Microsoft representative was not immediately available to comment.

Thurrott is a noted Microsoft insider and runs Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

5 years ago '04        #14
Yd4001 8 heat pts
space
space
$5,366 | Props total: 727 727
First page,not too big on news like this but I'll be in line so either way we fu*kin
 5 years ago '05        #15
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,626 | Props total: 13698 13698
Late

04-08-2013, 01:12 AM         #16
vgcinematics 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Y.G. said:
Late

Well I'll be dammed...sh*t beat Gamespot!

Gotta step my game up. I think this article confirms the rumor tho
 5 years ago '10        #17
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
$500? Cool.

$500 and no BC? Alright.

$500 and requires Internet to function? Hell no.

$300 w mandatory XBL subscription, Always-On functionality?

Imagine all the cheap folks getting the $300 version. I'm pretty sure their Internet situation is already janky.

Microsoft about to put n*ggas through collection agencies.
 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM         #18
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Didn't MS do this subscription 360 where it turned out you'd be paying an arm n a leg more for XBL
 5 years ago '12        #19
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347 OP
space
space
$69,705 | Props total: 22071 22071
 Hovi Bryant said:
$500? Cool.

$500 and no BC? Alright.

$500 and requires Internet to function? Hell no.

$300 w mandatory XBL subscription, Always-On functionality?

Imagine all the cheap folks getting the $300 version. I'm pretty sure their Internet situation is already janky.

Microsoft about to put n*ggas through collection agencies.

I can't deal with you anymore.
 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM         #20
Tha Problum 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the price aint really that serious, cell phones cost more than that now a days and people switch those like twice a year now
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
81 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
25 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
124 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
63 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy