most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
111 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #161
GriffMcfly 22 heat pts22
space
space
$3,500 | Props total: 50 50
 Scan said:
Little Brother – “Minstrel Show”

[pic - click to view]

Now, Little Brother was a lesser known group from the underground comprised of Phonte, Rapper Big Pooh, and super producer 9th Wonder. The group got so hot in the underground that they landed themselves a deal with a major label, Atlantic Records, when that wasn’t even plausible at the time. With that deal they dropped “The Minstrel Show” in 2005. The concept of the album was to make fun of what they felt the rap game had become at the time. Some may not agree with that, but this was an amazing album that was overlooked. Song after song Pooh and Phonte attacked 9th Wonder’s freshly chopped soul samples and k!lled the game. If you like hip-hop and like substance this is a must hear from start to finish.

Little Brother

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #162
JacmanPones 23 heat pts23
space
space
$3,153 | Props total: 598 598
 Lord Lovely said:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #163
StraightUp99 
space
space
space
$1,204 | Props total: 0 0
Black Album

God's Son

Then list is perfect.
 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM         #164
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
Just because something isn't a classic doesn't mean it's a bad album. Like I said there's albums out there that IMO track for track are better than some classic albums. We just can't call them classic because they never achieved that public acclaim, or didn't hold up over time or whatever the reason was.

If you think something is an amazing album just call it an amazing album , give it a 10/10 rating if you want. I gave you a term to use if you thought it was that good and that's calling it a "personal classic". What's wrong with using that ?? That term is perfect for what you're describing, but you can't call it classic if you're in a minority. You can't call an album you picked up from some unknown at your local swap meet a classic no matter how good it is if nobody else knows about it. Call it a personal classic. I have alot of albums I call personal classics that I listen to more than actual classic albums.

Classic is the term reserved for quality pieces of work that made some sort of wide spread impact and have held relevance over time. There's no other term for that besides "classic". If you think an album is just dope, just call it dope. Don't call it classic just because YOU like it and YOU think it has no skippable tracks.

and just because the hood bangs it doesn't mean anything, there's been plenty of garbage tracks that blew up and people were banging everywhere. People bang Gucci and Waka records in the hood all the time, Does that mean they have classic albums ??

Jigga That n*gga is a mediocre track at best. Some people will say Hola Hovito, some people will say All I Need, some people will even say Girls, Girls, Girls. How are you gonna tell someone it isn't a skippable track if they're the one pushing skip ??

Bruh a classic is perfection nothing wrong at all with it. I know plenty of album that are dope 9/10 albums but are not classics. To say reasonable doubt has skippable tracks is horrendous. To say the blueprint has skippable tracks is horrendous. Hola hovito, girls girls girls, and all i need are classic tracks from a classic album. n*ggas was trippin when those songs were first released. When something is given the term CLASSIC it means that it did stand the test of time as a perfect body of work. How is a album gonna have 12 tracks on it and out of 12 tracks 8 are dope and the rest are garbage and you call the album a classic. In that case every album out would be a classic.

You keep saying a album is "classic" off of impact. In that case vanilla ice and mc hammer albums are both classics. While impact does add to the overall term classic it dosent take away anything from it. IF a tree falls and no one hears it..guess what it still fail to the ground.

To the guy who said RD has a skippable track on it ...please name it... and dont say aint no n*gga..Thats still a classic song by itself.

For something to be a undeniable classic it has to be perfection.
 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM         #165
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Venom2k2 said:
That's an easy one. Kanye changed the game with his sample technique. Suddenly everyone had soul samples with the pitched voice. Also Kanye brought more fashion into rap.

I agree with you, that it's very hard to pin point the change any album had

No sir the blueprint did this first..well the soul sampling part
 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM         #166
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Switchc2390 said:
So you really don't skip Hola Hovito? Cashmere Thoughts? Aint No n*gga? Illmatic IMO doesn't have a skippable track(Even though some say One Time..), but that's a rare case.

What cashmere thoughts is flames..Also hola hovito beat is still crazy. Aint no n*gga still gets bumped. None of those tracks are weak and all are classic songs. They are just the weakest cuts on a classic album
 5 years ago '04        #167
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,791 | Props total: 1796 1796
 Brolic757 said:
Bruh a classic is perfection nothing wrong at all with it. I know plenty of album that are dope 9/10 albums but are not classics. To say reasonable doubt has skippable tracks is horrendous. To say the blueprint has skippable tracks is horrendous. Hola hovito, girls girls girls, and all i need are classic tracks from a classic album. n*ggas was trippin when those songs were first released. When something is given the term CLASSIC it means that it did stand the test of time as a perfect body of work. How is a album gonna have 12 tracks on it and out of 12 tracks 8 are dope and the rest are garbage and you call the album a classic. In that case every album out would be a classic.

You keep saying a album is "classic" off of impact. In that case vanilla ice and mc hammer albums are both classics. While impact does add to the overall term classic it dosent take away anything from it. IF a tree falls and no one hears it..guess what it still fail to the ground.

To the guy who said RD has a skippable track on it ...please name it... and dont say aint no n*gga..Thats still a classic song by itself.

For something to be a undeniable classic it has to be perfection.

and an album is perfect just because YOU say it is ?? You're looking at everything through a subjective lens because you're going off just your opinion alone.

How are you gonna tell me a certain track isn't skippable when I'm the one skipping it ??

You're trying to deem albums classic mostly by what YOU think of it.

I'm say a classic is determined by collective impact and majority consensus

Which one of those sounds more reasonable ?? I view classic status through a democratic process while you're going " this is a classic, well because I say so, if you disagree that it's less than perfect than you're wrong " In your opinion it doesn't matter if you and two other people are the only ones thinking an album is classic, as long as YOU think it is, it automatically makes it one right ?? By that logic you can call ANY album classic, am I wrong ?? you can call Kreayshawn's album a classic and no one could argue because the only opinion you would listen to is your own. I go by the impact it made on the game ( overall consensus) you just go off your own opinion and that's it. How does that make any sense ??

Vanilla Ice and Hammer's albums aren't classics because those albums as a whole didn't maintain relevance.

My definition of classic is certainly more objective than yours, There's classic albums out there that I dont even really care for but I can't say they aren't classics because they made their impact and held their relevance. I'm going by an objective and democratic criteria while you're just going solely off what you feel.
 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM         #168
PLATAOPLOMO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Lord Lovely said:

[pic - click to view]

MY BAD (lol)

Keep JAMMING OUT to YMCMR ARTIST & OTHER GARBAGE ARTIST B/I/T/C/H BOY
 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM         #169
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Venom2k2 said:
That's an easy one. Kanye changed the game with his sample technique. Suddenly everyone had soul samples with the pitched voice.
You know he got that from RZA right?
 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM         #170
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
and an album is perfect just because YOU say it is ?? You're looking at everything through a subjective lens because you're going off just your opinion alone.

How are you gonna tell me a certain track isn't skippable when I'm the one skipping it ??

You're trying to deem albums classic mostly by what YOU think of it.

I'm say a classic is determined by collective impact and majority consensus

Which one of those sounds more reasonable ?? I view classic status through a democratic process while you're going " this is a classic, well because I say so, if you disagree that it's less than perfect than you're wrong " In your opinion it doesn't matter if you and two other people are the only ones thinking an album is classic, as long as YOU think it is, it automatically makes it one right ?? By that logic you can call ANY album classic, am I wrong ?? you can call Kreayshawn's album a classic and no one could argue because the only opinion you would listen to is your own. I go by the impact it made on the game ( overall consensus) you just go off your own opinion and that's it. How does that make any sense ??

Vanilla Ice and Hammer's albums aren't classics because those albums as a whole didn't maintain relevance.

My definition of classic is certainly more objective than yours, There's classic albums out there that I dont even really care for but I can't say they aren't classics because they made their impact and held their relevance. I'm going by an objective and democratic criteria while you're just going solely off what you feel.

I didnt say its perfect because i said it is. Im talking about through a general consensus. When these albums were released they were deemed classics except for rd... PEople looked past rd because jay-z was underneathe big and pac but when they died and people gave jay a chance thats when this album was deemed a classic.

You keep talking about impact and relevance. That dosent have anything to do with the quality of the music. No one really heard the little brother ministrel show album. That dosent take away from the fact its still a classic.

When these albums were released go to any website and look at the rating of these albums. amazon.com 5 out of 5. Im not saying something is classic just because of me i going by general consensus. Just Cause something had a impact on the game dosent make it a classic. Look at 808s and heartbreak. This really birthed the whole auto-tunish rapper gimmick but is it deemed a classic by general consensus no it isnt.. A great body of work is a great body of work...

Last edited by Brolic757; 03-30-2013 at 12:47 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #171
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Brolic757 said:
I didnt say its perfect because i said it is. Im talking about through a general consensus. When these albums were released they were deemed classics except for rd... PEople looked past rd because jay-z was underneathe big and pac but when they died and people gave jay a chance thats when this album was deemed a classic.

You keep talking about impact and relevance. That dosent have anything to do with the quality of the music. No one really heard the little brother ministrel show album. That dosent take away from the fact its still a classic.
but that general consensus has to be on a large scale and if on a large scale the majority thinks something is classic it pretty much always translates into some kind of impact whether immediate or retroactively.

It can't be a general consensus of a small amount of people because everyone else just didn't care about the album enough to rate it or even listen to it.

If only 10 people bought Kreayshawn's album (the actual number probably isn't that far off) and 9 out of 10 of those people said it was a classic, does that make it a classic ? Since only 10 people heard it and 9 of them thought it was classic ?? By your definition that would make it a classic , No ?
 03-30-2013, 01:29 PM         #172
factorx3 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Lord Lovely said:

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #173
CuddyAbeRo 27 heat pts27
space
space
$818 | Props total: 11 11

[pic - click to view]

03-30-2013, 02:40 PM         #174
IronManStarks 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
im not mad at anything on there being called classic really...except the minstrel show...

03-30-2013, 03:25 PM         #175
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
but that general consensus has to be on a large scale and if on a large scale the majority thinks something is classic it pretty much always translates into some kind of impact whether immediate or retroactively.

It can't be a general consensus of a small amount of people because everyone else just didn't care about the album enough to rate it or even listen to it.

If only 10 people bought Kreayshawn's album (the actual number probably isn't that far off) and 9 out of 10 of those people said it was a classic, does that make it a classic ? Since only 10 people heard it and 9 of them thought it was classic ?? By your definition that would make it a classic , No ?

The general consensus besides a few people on bx thinks that there are no weak cuts on the blueprint or reasonable doubt.. Blueprint got 5 mics and XXL. There is also no weak cuts on stillmatic and stillmatic is a classic. Brave heart party was take off of stillmatic.

Thriller and off the wall are classics. No filler or skippable tracks. Does it have tracks on it compared to other songs on the album that arent up to par with those songs yes. But even the weak tracks off a classic album are still classic songs. There just the weakest songs of the album.

Food & liquor is not a classic it has some weak songs on it and ut didnt really do anything new. It kinda came and went.

College droput is not a classic its a very very dope album.
 5 years ago '04        #176
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Brolic757 said:
The general consensus besides a few people on bx thinks that there are no weak cuts on the blueprint or reasonable doubt.. Blueprint got 5 mics and XXL. There is also no weak cuts on stillmatic and stillmatic is a classic. Brave heart party was take off of stillmatic.

Thriller and off the wall are classics. No filler or skippable tracks. Does it have tracks on it compared to other songs on the album that arent up to par with those songs yes. But even the weak tracks off a classic album are still classic songs. There just the weakest songs of the album.

Food & liquor is not a classic it has some weak songs on it and ut didnt really do anything new. It kinda came and went.

like I said, how are you gonna tell me a record doesn't have a skippable track when I'm the one pushing skip ??

and you're using the age old back up argument of " Only people on BX , everyone in public I've talked to agrees with me " which really isn't credible on here.

People on here are telling you left and right classics including blueprint have skippable tracks but you only care about your own opinion so it doesn't really matter what everyone else says right ??

Baby Be Mine and Lady In My Life off Thriller are TWO skippable tracks, why do you think both are left off of so many Michael Jackson compilations ??

Classics have skippable tracks, accept it, everyone else does.
 5 years ago '04        #177
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Brolic757 said:

Let me ask you a question though, What do you think is the greatest hip hop album of all time with absolutely no skippable tracks ??
 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM         #178
bbrossy313 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Brolic757 said:
No sir the blueprint did this first..well the soul sampling part
Kanye made thoses beats
 03-30-2013, 06:07 PM         #179
bbrossy313 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Switchc2390 said:
Since you guys are saying classic albums must have some sort of revolutionary impact or something..why do you consider "College Dropout" a classic? What did that change? What did Food and Liquor change? Hell, what did Reasonable Doubt change? Better yet how can yall even PROVE that these albums were the ones that changed anything?

I don't know if people are expecting albums to have some Martin Luther King Jr. type of impact, but The Minstrel Show is a classic no matter how you cut it. In a time where not many people were making dope group albums, LB came out with a statement about the game and it didn't go unnoticed.

People here take one little statement and go extreme with it. If an album has classic music, if you feel something inside and it's different than everything else that's generic as sh*t, that's a classic album.
Thank you, thats what ive been trying to say. I feel that albums that really made people switch their styles up helps become a classic but it is not necessary at all. a classic is a great album that is stiil as great today as it was years ago. it does not need to sell a million copies either. I feel all these people are just talking about mainstream classics
 5 years ago '05        #180
Philly B 41 heat pts41
space
space
$5,570 | Props total: 38 38
 Cutty Olds said:
A classic is a classic.....Kanyes album was full of filler?!? n*gga you're BUGGIN!

And so what you didn't hear Little Brothers album...that doesn't take away from the superior quality
Of that album...or the fact it was involved in a serious rating issue with a major publication that reneged on the classic rating of it. The fact that people go back and mention it as a classic and is heavily agreed upon by an overwhelming
amount of hip hop heads only proves one thing.......

You, and everyone who didn't listen,cop, or think like you missed on a for real gem back in 05!

Yessir
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
198 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
87 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
166 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
222 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
187 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
132 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
259 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy