most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
119 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-30-2013, 05:41 AM         #141
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dlettern said:
Hip Hop fans are obsessed with calling albums classics. That sort of title is earned through continued relevancy. Threads like this are useless cuz all it does is appease the thread starter's need for attention.
Damn if this ain't the truth.

A lifetime of dealing with the hood, my people, & hip hop music and NOT ONCE did I ever hear a muthafuhka say the word "classic" when describing an album.
I got a homeboy I know TO THIS DAY that thinks Group Home 1st album the best sh*t to ever come out! Lol
But he nevers said "classic" though
 5 years ago '10        #142
smokinthe420 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,463 | Props total: 6613 6613
Atmosphere - overcast is pretty much a classic album... Not one skippable track..
 5 years ago '04        #143
Venom2k2 
space
space
$976 | Props total: 3 3
I absolutely forgot about Madvillain - Madvillainy. That is a classic, no doubt. It pretty much broke any rules about a traditional album with it's unorthodox rhyme schemes and track structures, filled with short but good interludes by Madlib and a very good production. It is raw, gritty and Doom's best album. From the artwork to the musical presentation, this album is a classic.
 5 years ago '04        #144
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
First 2 I can agree on..last 3....not so much. Solid in some ways, but classic? No.

Classic is such a subjective term, but for me over the past decade some of my absolute favorites:

I see Common's "BE" album getting some love but personally I thought Finding Forever was a much better album. And it's REALLY early but I thought Xzibit's Napalm is one of the better albums of the last decade.

T.I.'s Paper Trail and Trouble Man.
Scarface's MADE and/or Emeritus.
The Roots How I Got Over.
UGK 4 Life.
Any Outkast album for me is a solid play all the way through, same with Kanye pretty much. Had they released Nas' I AM as the advance version that would have been a k!ller.
Masta Ace's Long Hot Summer.
Ludacris' Word of Mouf.
I think Lil' Wanye's Carter III is the best of his efforts.
Killer Mike's Pledge and RAP Music.
Jay-z's Black Album.
Apathy's Eastern Philosophy.
Big Krit's Krit Wuz Here and R4E.
Meth & Red's Blackout.

Honorable Mentions for Obie Trice's Cheers, Ghostface's Pretty Toney Album, Jay-z's American Gangster, and Saigon's debut.

Another factor that possibly influences these discussions that no one has brought up is album length. I definitely use # of skipable tracks as part of my rating process, but the longer an album is the more difficult it is to achieve no skipables.

For example, 2 albums widely regarded as all-time classics - Illmatic and The Great Adventures of Slick Rick - are 10 and 12 tracks respectively. Really 9 for Illmatic with the skit. Had those albums had 3 or 4 extra songs that a few ended up being throwaways would the overall reputation of those albums have taken a hit at all? Conversely, albums like Life After death and All Eyez on Me where you have 20+ tracks and perhaps only have a handful of skipables but still leaving you with OVERALL more bangers than the above examples - how does that come into play regarding their legacy?

I think our insatiable need as consumers for more and more material from our favorite artists has to some degree created an environment where they feel the need to constantly provide material for us, even if it's not their best work. Pac was the only one who could bang out songs in that kind of volume.....

Last edited by WHAT_THE_; 03-30-2013 at 09:15 AM..
 5 years ago '09        #145
Big Ash 51283 
space
space
$259 | Props total: 0 0
 Cartel-Clipz said:
The Listening >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Minstrel Show
 5 years ago '07        #146
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
 WCIB said:
....they are though.
 03-30-2013, 09:11 AM         #147
YoungRichROy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Late Registration
F&L
The Cool
THug Motivation 101
MOTM
Diplomatic Immunity
all Outkast albums
 5 years ago '07        #148
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,798 | Props total: 14598 14598
 MiseryCityTexas said:
minstrel show wasn't even little brother's best album
 Cartel-Clipz said:
The Listening >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Minstrel Show

I guess this is meaning mainstream classics.
 5 years ago '04        #150
notoriousthugzz 41 heat pts41
space
space
$18,941 | Props total: 2044 2044
 Account001 said:
College Drop out is NOT a classic. Breathe in Breathe out took that away from it....

The Carter II is a classic.. impact and no skippable track(s)

Im thinking GRODT is classic, impact is clearly there but idk about skippable tracks

I think Take Care is a classic but its too soon to tell.

a classic has to have social impact within its genre at least (at time of release or later),
0 skippable tracks
timeless in the sense that the album as whole isn't exploiting a niche sound that is currently popular at the time its made
less than 50% feats for a solo project.
stopped reading when you said you think take care is a classic

03-30-2013, 10:26 AM         #151
bbrossy313 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokinthe420 said:
Atmosphere - overcast is pretty much a classic album... Not one skippable track..
along with Godlovesugly
 5 years ago '05        #152
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,984 | Props total: 3270 3270
Since you guys are saying classic albums must have some sort of revolutionary impact or something..why do you consider "College Dropout" a classic? What did that change? What did Food and Liquor change? Hell, what did Reasonable Doubt change? Better yet how can yall even PROVE that these albums were the ones that changed anything?

I don't know if people are expecting albums to have some Martin Luther King Jr. type of impact, but The Minstrel Show is a classic no matter how you cut it. In a time where not many people were making dope group albums, LB came out with a statement about the game and it didn't go unnoticed.

People here take one little statement and go extreme with it. If an album has classic music, if you feel something inside and it's different than everything else that's generic as sh*t, that's a classic album.
 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM         #153
Brolic757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
By that definition then there's no such thing as a classic album because I've never heard an album in my life that didn't have a skippable track. For instance Blueprint has That n*gga Jigga and Stillmatic has BraveHeart Party which are two not only skippable but horrible tracks IMO. Does that stop them from being classics ??

If Biggie never released Ready to Die and only 10 people at Bad Boy heard it then it couldn't be considered an actual classic. It would sit in the archives on potential classic status.

that's like Michael Jackson never getting signed but growing up an indie artist that made the same quality music and only 10 people in his local town heard his music. Could you call him an Icon then ??

You think if a local artist in your town put out an album as good as Ready to Die but only you and like 3 other people heard it that you could come on BX and call it a classic album ??

A classic album is suppose to hold prestige, recognition, and be distinguished on a public scale.

If we solely go off just what we think is good then anybody can call anything a classic. People will be in here like " Yo I love this album , I can bang it straight through , and it still goes !, so Bow Wow-Beware of Dog is definitely a classic in my eyes ! "
Blueprint has no skippable tracks. When it first released jigga that n*gga use to get banged out in the hood daily. The problem is thats the only song up there that didnt age well. To say that song is horrible is a damn lie.

Also a classic cant have a skipable track on it. Thats just insane. When people say "man that pink floyd album breaking the wall is classic" they are saying that its not one weak or skippable track on it. Thats just what a classic is.

And again i state just because the masses havent heard a album it dosent make it classic. No one really outside the internet or mainstream has heard Below The Heavens but its still a classic. The music is still quality. Just because no one heard it does not make it any less. Also u said every rap album has a skippable track. Thats not true. Reasonable Doubt has no tracks u skio neither does illmatic or blueprint.

Something cant be given the stamp classic unless its flawless.
 5 years ago '04        #154
bdizzle316 
space
space
$504 | Props total: 1 1
 Lord Lovely said:

[pic - click to view]

Everyone says Tha Carter 2 was Wayne's best album, but I still think Tha Carter was Wayne at his best.
 5 years ago '04        #155
doro85 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,166 | Props total: 435 435
Id agree.. all except f & l .. idk never listened to it more then 4 times probably
 5 years ago '04        #156
Venom2k2 
space
space
$976 | Props total: 3 3
 Switchc2390 said:
Since you guys are saying classic albums must have some sort of revolutionary impact or something..why do you consider "College Dropout" a classic? What did that change?
That's an easy one. Kanye changed the game with his sample technique. Suddenly everyone had soul samples with the pitched voice. Also Kanye brought more fashion into rap.

I agree with you, that it's very hard to pin point the change any album had
 5 years ago '05        #157
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,984 | Props total: 3270 3270
 Brolic757 said:
Blueprint has no skippable tracks. When it first released jigga that n*gga use to get banged out in the hood daily. The problem is thats the only song up there that didnt age well. To say that song is horrible is a damn lie.

Also a classic cant have a skipable track on it. Thats just insane. When people say "man that pink floyd album breaking the wall is classic" they are saying that its not one weak or skippable track on it. Thats just what a classic is.

And again i state just because the masses havent heard a album it dosent make it classic. No one really outside the internet or mainstream has heard Below The Heavens but its still a classic. The music is still quality. Just because no one heard it does not make it any less. Also u said every rap album has a skippable track. Thats not true. Reasonable Doubt has no tracks u skio neither does illmatic or blueprint.

So you really don't skip Hola Hovito? Cashmere Thoughts? Aint No n*gga? Illmatic IMO doesn't have a skippable track(Even though some say One Time..), but that's a rare case.
 5 years ago '08        #158
OzzieCanseco 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,340 | Props total: 111 111
Jeezy classics TM 101/Trap or Die/Inspiration/I am the street dream/Recession are all still in rotation in the SS

Dru Down Explicit Game
Luniz Operation Stackola
Click Game Related
E40 In a Major Way
E40 Element of Surprise
E40 tka Charlie Hustle
BLegit Hemp Museum
Kurupt Streetz iz a Mutha
Daz Dillinger RAW

stopped keepin up when rap went metro

Last edited by OzzieCanseco; 03-30-2013 at 11:08 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #159
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,816 | Props total: 1849 1849
 Brolic757 said:

Just because something isn't a classic doesn't mean it's a bad album. Like I said there's albums out there that IMO track for track are better than some classic albums. We just can't call them classic because they never achieved that public acclaim, or didn't hold up over time or whatever the reason was.

If you think something is an amazing album just call it an amazing album , give it a 10/10 rating if you want. I gave you a term to use if you thought it was that good and that's calling it a "personal classic". What's wrong with using that ?? That term is perfect for what you're describing, but you can't call it classic if you're in a minority. You can't call an album you picked up from some unknown at your local swap meet a classic no matter how good it is if nobody else knows about it. Call it a personal classic. I have alot of albums I call personal classics that I listen to more than actual classic albums.

Classic is the term reserved for quality pieces of work that made some sort of wide spread impact and have held relevance over time. There's no other term for that besides "classic". If you think an album is just dope, just call it dope. Don't call it classic just because YOU like it and YOU think it has no skippable tracks.

and just because the hood bangs it doesn't mean anything, there's been plenty of garbage tracks that blew up and people were banging everywhere. People bang Gucci and Waka records in the hood all the time, Does that mean they have classic albums ??

Jigga That n*gga is a mediocre track at best. Some people will say Hola Hovito, some people will say All I Need, some people will even say Girls, Girls, Girls. How are you gonna tell someone it isn't a skippable track if they're the one pushing skip ??

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-30-2013 at 11:40 AM..
 5 years ago '10        #160
TheGift 1 heat pts
space
space
$9,854 | Props total: 8217 8217
 Get Wrecked said:
A bunch of classics have skippable tracks. That doesn't make them not a classic
Yup. n*ggaz act like RD and RTD didnt have any skippable joints. Don't mean there not classics. Ive still yet to hear a album thats flawless straight through. It's all about impact and relevancy that makes a album a classic.
Home      

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
103 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
181 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
135 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Terry Crews says “they” are watching him :iseeyou2:
113 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
vida guerra
82 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Biggie Smalls was Official South Side Compton Crip
61 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
61 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
76 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy