Justin Timberlake Debuts At Number 1 On Album Charts With 980,622 Sold

most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
139 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
192 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
235 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
81 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM         #121
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Nest said:
The funny thing is when Suit and Tie released everyone put it down saying it wasnt what they were expecting, how it was his weakest first single, how JayZ was unnecessary, how his part wasnt even that great, how they were let down after waiting for almost 7 years. I really dont think this album did so well because of JayZ let alone Suit and Tie at all. He had one feature on this album. People were buying it because of JT not anybody else. I dont care it if was JayZ, Nas, Biggie or the return of Jesus Christ.

Check the numbers. There's a general consensus that Jay-Z is the reason why "Umbrella", "Frontin'", "Heartbreaker", "Fiesta" and "Crazy In Love" were huge commercial successes, so I don't think we can deny the fact that he attributed (partially) to the success of 'Suit & Tie' and Justin's album.

When you look at Nas' discography it's quite clear that he lacks that commercial appeal (people just don't buy for that fake conscious sh*t anymore) to propel an artist to drop a single that charts #4 on the Billboard 200.

I just like to deal with facts and history shows that there's a positive correlation between featuring Jay-Z on your single and it charting well as a result of this.. which cannot be said for Nas.
 5 years ago '04        #122
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
 Analytical One said:

Check the numbers. There's a general consensus that Jay-Z is the reason why "Umbrella", "Frontin'", "Heartbreaker", "Fiesta" and "Crazy In Love" were huge commercial successes, so I don't think we can deny the fact that he attributed (partially) to the success of 'Suit & Tie' and Justin's album.

When you look at Nas' discography it's quite clear that he lacks that commercial appeal (people just don't buy for that fake conscious sh*t anymore) to propel an artist to drop a single that charts #4 on the Billboard 200.

I just like to deal with facts and history shows that there's a positive correlation between featuring Jay-Z on your single and it charting well as a result of this.. which cannot be said for Nas.
but all those artists you named usually sell big without any guest features, and almost all of them have singles bigger than the Jay featured ones you named. So it's really hard to say Jay is responsible for the success of singles from artists who have a history of having that kind of success or bigger.

So it's not really that great of an example.

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-28-2013 at 02:40 PM..
 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM         #123
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
but all those artists you named usually sell big without any guest features, and almost all of them have singles bigger than the Jay featured ones you named. So it's really hard to say Jay is responsible for the success of singles from artists who have a history of having that kind of success or bigger.

So it's not really that great of an example.
This is the problem with reviewing singles in retrospect with no contextual knowledge.

Rihanna wasn't the established artist she is today and without Jay on that record she would not have broke through.

R. Kelly's "Fiesta" was the first time that a single of his spent five weeks atop of the US R&B Chart, while it wasn't Jay's first as "I Just Wanna Love U" spent more than five weeks atop of the R&B Chart.

Before "Frontin'" how many singles did Pharrell have that achieved such success commercially? And how many proceeding singles matched the success of that song? The only singles I can think of are "Change Clothes" and "I Just Wanna Love U"--which both unsurprisingly featured Jay.

And read the Wikipedia page for "Heartbreaker" to recognize just how significant Jay's presence was on that song for Mariah:
)

The single was Beyonce was spawned firstly because before releasing that song her two biggest singles were Crazy In Love and Bonnie & Clyde '03--both which unsurprisingly featured Jay, and secondly because they at the time were the two biggest stars in the music industry despite Hov having retired.
 5 years ago '12        #124
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,665 | Props total: 375 375
 Analytical One said:

Partial success yes. There's no denying that. He was on the single so of course he gets props. People cant take that away from him. But for people to say that the ONLY reason why JT is doing good is because of JayZ is beyond ignorant. We know thats not true so why people even bother saying it is ridiculous. People just naturally fall to Timberlake.
 5 years ago '12        #125
kiddalex 11 heat pts11
space
space
$5,607 | Props total: 6831 6831
 psylence2k said:
So what exactly happened when Usher sold 10 mill off Confessions then ??

where you been living ... that's the ancient past.

Confessions was almost a decade ago man , that sh*t could NOT and would NOT move those kind of numbers today.

People don't buy albums but they showed up for this one PARTICULARLY

Find me a black artist that comes close to the JT/Em/TS level of sales NOW ... not 10 years ago back when people were still moving units. Even when Jay releases an album it doesn't touch these fu*king number ... even when JAY AND KANYE the two biggest names in rap put out a cd together ... it doesn't touch this opening week number.

People were so excited about this album coming out like this was the second coming of Marvin Gaye. The guy put out 2 pretty good solo albums (i didn't hear anyone calling them record of the year when they came out ) with some corny as fu*k singles off them and now hes the savior of R+B music ... he bringing baby making music back , right ?

This is the guy with the perm from Nsync who made a couple sh*tty a.ss movies and we treat him like MJ part 2 cause he didn't have an album out for a minute ? fu*k out of here.
 5 years ago '04        #126
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Analytical One said:
This is the problem with reviewing singles in retrospect with no contextual knowledge.

Rihanna wasn't the established artist she is today and without Jay on that record she would not have broke through.

R. Kelly's "Fiesta" was the first time that a single of his spent five weeks atop of the US R&B Chart, while it wasn't Jay's first as "I Just Wanna Love U" spent more than five weeks atop of the R&B Chart.

Before "Frontin'" how many singles did Pharrell have that achieved such success commercially? And how many proceeding singles matched the success of that song? The only singles I can think of are "Change Clothes" and "I Just Wanna Love U"--which both unsurprisingly featured Jay.

And read the Wikipedia page for "Heartbreaker" to recognize just how significant Jay's presence was on that song for Mariah:
)

The single was Beyonce was spawned firstly because before releasing that song her two biggest singles were Crazy In Love and Bonnie & Clyde '03--both which unsurprisingly featured Jay, and secondly because they at the time were the two biggest stars in the music industry despite Hov having retired.

Like I said Rhianna, Kellz, and Mariah already had Billboard Hot 100 Number 1 records before Jay.

Pharrell and Chad ran radio and cranked out hit after hit in the early 2000's.

Crazy in Love was Beyonce's debut but she already ran shyt with Destiny's Child and continued to show she could k!ll shyt by herself.

You're trying to say Jay was the reason those records were so huge, I'm saying those records would've been at least 90% as huge without Jay.

So you know how we settle this ??? Take Jay out the equation , do those artists still have Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 singles ?? Yes they have dozens of them.

How many solo Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles does Jay have by himself ?? None , with Alicia Keys help he got one.

So I think we can see which part of this equation is more heavily responsible for the success.

Nobody cares about solo Jay songs, what does that say ??

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-28-2013 at 03:34 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #127
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 kiddalex said:
where you been living ... that's the ancient past.

Confessions was almost a decade ago man , that sh*t could NOT and would NOT move those kind of numbers today.

People don't buy albums but they showed up for this one PARTICULARLY

Find me a black artist that comes close to the JT/Em/TS level of sales NOW ... not 10 years ago back when people were still moving units. Even when Jay releases an album it doesn't touch these fu*king number ... even when JAY AND KANYE the two biggest names in rap put out a cd together ... it doesn't touch this opening week number.

People were so excited about this album coming out like this was the second coming of Marvin Gaye. The guy put out 2 pretty good solo albums (i didn't hear anyone calling them record of the year when they came out ) with some corny as fu*k singles off them and now hes the savior of R+B music ... he bringing baby making music back , right ?

This is the guy with the perm from Nsync who made a couple sh*tty a.ss movies and we treat him like MJ part 2 cause he didn't have an album out for a minute ? fu*k out of here.

So then what exactly was it that made white people stop supporting black artists by your theory then ?? They helped Usher hit 10 million, did they all of a sudden start saying "We're gonna stop buying black artists's albums " ??

By your theory even back then Justin Timberlake should've outsold Usher. Though Confessions outsold Justified AND FSLS by more than double. So how do you explain that ??
 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM         #128
Analytical One 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
Like I said Rhianna, Kellz, and Mariah already had Billboard Hot 100 Number 1 records before Jay.

Pharrell and Chad ran radio and cranked out hit after hit in the early 2000's.

Crazy in Love was Beyonce's debut but she already ran shyt with Destiny's Child and continued to show she could k!ll shyt by herself.

You're trying to say Jay was the reason those records were so huge, I'm saying those records would've been at least 90% as huge without Jay.

So you know how we settle this ??? Take Jay out the equation , do those artists still have Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 singles ?? Yes they have dozens of them.

How many solo Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles does Jay have by himself ?? None , with Alicia Keys help he got one.

So I think we can see which part of this equation is more heavily responsible for the success.
I find it rather interesting that you chose to near completely neglect Jay's significance in helping propel those artists to achieve those hit singles, but do the complete opposite when discussing Alicia Key's importance in helping Jay achieve his first #1 single in Empire State of Mind.

And nobody cares about Jay's solos? That's why "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" charted #5 on the Billboard 200 and spawned one of the most popular lines in music history ("allow me to reintroduce myself...").

That's why Hard Knock Life has sold 5,000,000 copies--with the majority of these sales coming before the iTunes era?

That's why Izzo (H.O.V.A.) and Girls, Girls, Girls both two singles which had no credited features managed to crack into the top ten and twenty respectively? Name two singles from a solo artist that dropped that year that were as successful as both those singles?

And it's widely recognized that had Jay-Z released D.O.A. on iTunes when it dropped it would have made it's way to #1 on the Billboard 200 and that had no single guest appearance.

Now how many top forty singles does Nas have in discography?
 5 years ago '13        #129
HipHopFactz 436 heat pts436
space
space
$31,063 | Props total: 38357 38357
Jayz has only had 1 solo no1 single on Billboard Hot 100 and that was with the help of Alicia Keys

The idea that JT needs Jayz to secure a no1 single is ridiculous

JT on his last album had 3 no1 singles back to back.

Jayz actually needs JT to get a no1 single rather than JT needing Jayz

Krypton aka Analytical One is a delusional Jayz super stan

5 years ago '04        #130
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Analytical One said:
I find it rather interesting that you chose to near completely neglect Jay's significance in helping propel those artists to achieve those hit singles, but do the complete opposite when discussing Alicia Key's importance in helping Jay achieve his first #1 single in Empire State of Mind.

And nobody cares about Jay's solos? That's why "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" charted #5 on the Billboard 200 and spawned one of the most popular lines in music history ("allow me to reintroduce myself...").

That's why Hard Knock Life has sold 5,000,000 copies--with the majority of these sales coming before the iTunes era?

That's why Izzo (H.O.V.A.) and Girls, Girls, Girls both two singles which had no credited features managed to crack into the top ten and twenty respectively? Name two singles from a solo artist that dropped that year that were as successful as both those singles?

And it's widely recognized that had Jay-Z released D.O.A. on iTunes when it dropped it would have made it's way to #1 on the Billboard 200 and that had no single guest appearance.

Now how many top forty singles does Nas have in discography?

You know what's funny ?? You trying to make it seem like Jay is hugely responsible for the success of artists who REGULARLY have #1 hits on the BILLBOARD HOT 100 charts when Jay has no solo #1 hits on that chart.

Wouldn't that mean that these artists are bigger draws than Jay since their chart history is better (including Alicia Keys) ?? Yet somehow he is the MAIN reason for their singles being so successful by your logic ??

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-28-2013 at 04:16 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #131
SlimDunkin 1717 heat pts1717
space
space
$10,570 | Props total: 1616 1616

[pic - click to view]

haha yall r too wackk
 5 years ago '04        #132
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,457 | Props total: 80 80
lmao people not realizing that if we could go back 10-15 years and have rampant downloading and itunes no one would have sold 5-10 mill like that. i hate to put it in these terms but white people buy music. black people don't.
 5 years ago '10        #133
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,282 | Props total: 23789 23789
 urbangatsby said:
This is one sales figure I believe

Lady gaga had that bullsh*t amazon deal where her album was 99 cents

Lil Wayne C4 numbers gotta be fake due to birdman

Taylor swift rode the Kanye controversy first album then 2nd time she had all those songs aimed at her boyfriends

But JT

All he did was drop 1 single, 2 videos and 2 songs off album to get this number....my n*gga....no controversy....this is what I love....no weird outfits, no fake beefs, no on stage bullsh*t antics...just music
yup.. jt gon run show the biz after a while
 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM         #134
bigsyke19 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Analytical got some good points.

I wasn't trying to diss Jay, I just don't like Suit and Tie.....it's not my type of flavor. Jay's part is actually decent in the song, but was not big enough to win me over overall.

Now I'm on the wall about whether JT used Jay and vice versa. I mean you got to be crazy if you don't think Jay helped with sales a little bit. But JT always does decent the first week.....it's tricky man.
 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM         #135
bigsyke19 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
So then what exactly was it that made white people stop supporting black artists by your theory then ?? They helped Usher hit 10 million, did they all of a sudden start saying "We're gonna stop buying black artists's albums " ??

By your theory even back then Justin Timberlake should've outsold Usher. Though Confessions outsold Justified AND FSLS by more than double. So how do you explain that ??
Yep i agree. People be underestimating Usher. I thought JT had smashed Usher records sales until my dumb a.ss looked it up. LOL
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
50 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
66 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
50 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
40 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
189 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
141 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
160 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
67 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy