NBA Lonzo Ball still disrespecting Nas
43 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 OT Auburn banned Corey Myers for smashing his players
9 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Video inside Jay Z's Tidal Is Running Out Of Cash & On Verge Of Bankruptcy, Lost $36..
35 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '08        #201
El Fuerte 
space
space
$3,902 | Props total: 1700 1700
Jay-z was already an established artist at the time.

As an unheard of newcomer, DMX was absolutely crushing Jay-z's and anyone else who was poppin' at that times buildings - some of yall might just be too young to remember

There was no1, no1, fu*king w/ X at that timeframe. If anything his features/co-sign gave Jay-z the extra grittyness/edge he had started to lose w/ his more commercial endevaors, and the streets was like o hey we fu*king w/ J again

DMX in 1998 = greatest year for any rapper ever - n*gga arguably put out two classic albums in one year = mind blown :wow:
 5 years ago '04        #202
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,399 | Props total: 107 107
 HipHopFactz said:

01 is interesting, em dropped the d12 joint, but that didnt sell like his solo albums

Ja Rule was poppin in 01 with Pain is Love selling 3 million copies
Damn, I forgot about Ja.
 5 years ago '13        #203
HipHopFactz 436 heat pts436
space
space
$31,046 | Props total: 38332 38332
 Bedewe22 said:
Damn, I forgot about Ja.
Ja had 01 covered with all those r&b pop cross over hits, that was his year, he was riding the wave untill 50 came and ruined the party a year and half later
 5 years ago '07        #204
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,039 | Props total: 1023 1023
50 was two albums deep by 2005, and he sold 20 million, so he's better than both of them, Nelly's first two albums did huge numbers also lol *sarcasm*. Pac, Nas, and Jay didn't do big numbers out the gate, so let's use that to discredit them lol.

Nah, but in all seriousness, I was personally feeling X slightly more during that time. I'm a Philly native, but I was living in New Jersey during 98 and 99, and when I would go back to visit, a majority of what i heard playing out of car windows were tracks from the hard knock life album or something from one of the two X albums out at the time. Nore and Method Man was also real hot on the east coast during that time too lol. I even remember in the summer of 99 in Philly when Clue's tape was out (that got on bootleg), and hearing one passing car blast Jay's "Gangsta sh*t" and another one playing "If it's on it's on" by X. It's kind of hard to tell who was hotter at the time imo, they both seemed to be everywhere, even though I prefered X more at the time, but Jay was getting busy too. I remember a lot of kids wanting to be like X and barking lol, Ruff Ryders anthem was huge, but Jay had a little movement with what he was doing also.
It's really hard to tell, that's why you probably could say they shared that year. X get's it for sales though, but Jay was hot during that time so I don't see him having a hard time selling if Hard Knock Life was realesed a little earlier in 98 and he followed up with Vol 3 later on in the year.

But I also think that if Jay was in X's place during that era, ya'll be saying something like "Well, yeah it's because he filled the void for Pac, he sold more that year because he put out two albums, had Def Jam backing him, and he capitalized off the success of Belly, while collabing with hot acts" lol. There seems to be like some kind of bias on this site when it comes to Jay, there's a million and one reasons for his success except for his talent that can apply to a lot of other rappers, but ya'll don't nitpick other artist success as closely.

Last edited by A-L-P; 03-27-2013 at 12:42 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #205
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
 Kreemy said:
2006 and 2009
96 - 2Pac
97 - Mase
98 - DMX
99 - DMX
00 - Eminem
01 - Ja Rule
02 - Eminem
03 - 50 Cent

06 - Jay-Z

09 - Eminem

Eminem released Relapse in '09, so Jay has one year.

5 years ago '10        #206
Walmart 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,870 | Props total: 8996 8996
 psylence2k said:
but does any of that really matter when ......

At the end of the day you have to give it to X because he shut the game down off straight grimey music, he never needed RNB features, flashy videos, or trend chasing to sell records
True, Jay Z did hop on trends to try to blow up.

In '97, he even tried to follow the Bad Boy shinny suit trend.

[video - click to view]

03-27-2013, 12:47 PM         #207
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Walmart said:
True, Jay Z did hop on trends to try to blow up.

In '97, he even tried to follow the Bad Boy shinny suit trend.

I fu*ks with Vol.1 Jay all day, but even that disc had some minor flaws such as that joint you posted
 5 years ago '05        #208
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,873 | Props total: 8394 8394
 Bedewe22 said:
96 - 2Pac
97 - Mase
98 - DMX
99 - DMX
00 - Eminem
01 - Ja Rule
02 - Eminem
03 - 50 Cent

06 - Jay-Z

09 - Eminem

Eminem released Relapse in '09, so Jay has one year.

this list doesnt really make sense. what are you basing it off of? because if you are basing it off of sales then lauryn hill should be 98, em should probably be 99 with SSLP and dre 2001 dropped that year with forgot about dre

if you talking about biggest name in the game then jay pretty much has to be 01. that was the year of summerjam homie, bringing michael on stage. blueprint dropping the same day as the win towers attack, the battle with nas that people on here STILL continuously argue about. and as far as im concerned nelly has to be somewhere on that list too

help me out on the reasoning of this list homie
 5 years ago '04        #209
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
 StateProperty88 said:
this list doesnt really make sense. what are you basing it off of? because if you are basing it off of sales then lauryn hill should be 98, em should probably be 99 with SSLP and dre 2001 dropped that year with forgot about dre

if you talking about biggest name in the game then jay pretty much has to be 01. that was the year of summerjam homie, bringing michael on stage. blueprint dropping the same day as the win towers attack, the battle with nas that people on here STILL continuously argue about. and as far as im concerned nelly has to be somewhere on that list too

help me out on the reasoning of this list homie
Sales. I'm a.ssuming we're talking about the hottest artists here. Lauryn Hill doesn't count. I'm talking strictly hip hop albums. She and DMX sold around the same amount in '98 anyway. I forgot about Dre. Dre has '99 with X and Em following.

With all that in '01, Ja was still ahead of him.

Nelly smoked Hov in '00 and '02 too, but Em would still take the cake those years. Nelly was right behind him though.

Make no mistake, I would never say Nelly and Ja were better rappers at that point.
 5 years ago '05        #210
space
space
 Bedewe22 said:
Sales. I'm a.ssuming we're talking about the hottest artists here. Lauryn Hill doesn't count. I'm talking strictly hip hop albums. She and DMX sold around the same amount in '98 anyway. I forgot about Dre. Dre has '99 with X and Em following.

With all that in '01, Ja was still ahead of him.

Nelly smoked Hov in '00 and '02 too, but Em would still take the cake those years. Nelly was right behind him though.

Make no mistake, I would never say Nelly and Ja were better rappers at that point.
i feel what your saying, but still have to disagree. you talking about biggest names but jay was the biggest name. outside of selling more, what do you remember that year from ja? what did he do that year that put him over the top?

people consider that summerjam performance epic, and whether he lost or not, was a part of one of the biggest battles the game has seen and great music was made out of that battle from both sides. (edit: and if im not mistaken thats the year he did mtv unplugged and that went plat too i believe) these are things that stuck with you a decade after they happen, ja had no such thing, to his credit though he sh*t sold and he did have an anthem or 2 from that album

Last edited by StateProperty88; 03-27-2013 at 03:03 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #211
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
 StateProperty88 said:
i feel what your saying, but still have to disagree. you talking about biggest names but jay was the biggest name. outside of selling more, what do you remember that year from ja? what did he do that year that put him over the top?

people consider that summerjam performance epic, and whether he lost or not, was a part of one of the biggest battles the game has scene and great music was made out of that battle from both sides. (edit: and if im not mistaken thats the year he did mtv unplugged and that went plat too i believe) these are things that stuck with you a decade after they happen, ja had no such thing, to his credit though he sh*t sold and he did have an anthem or 2 from that album
I wasn't even thinking about Ja until HipHopFactz brought him up. I forgot all about dude.

I still think Jay-Z won that battle though.

5 years ago '10        #212
A.Dot789 1053 heat pts1053
space
space
$13,942 | Props total: 8040 8040
 CosbySweater said:
The hate Jay gets on this website is disgusting

n*ggas act like he isn't one of the nicest ever to touch a mic

jay is one of the most overrated artist on this site
 5 years ago '07        #213
Bullseye 59 heat pts59
space
space
$8,915 | Props total: 1802 1802
This is true about Jay-Z and not a lot of people realize that.

Tupac, Biggie and DMX all were ahead of him and had WAY more popularity than him and were more appealing as well. Once they first 2 died an the third became a crackhead, Jay-Z stepped in as the default.
 5 years ago '08        #214
Eagles All Day 87 heat pts87
space
space
$32,797 | Props total: 12452 12452
 Bullseye said:

Tupac, Biggie and DMX all were ahead of him and had WAY more popularity than him and were more appealing as well. Once they first 2 died an the third became a crackhead, Jay-Z stepped in as the default.

you are right...i mean it was so easy to ascend to the top thats why nas did it....

oh wait
 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM         #215
Kreemy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bullseye said:

These "____ was bigger than Jay-Z in the 90s" are made once a week
 5 years ago '08        #216
Eagles All Day 87 heat pts87
space
space
$32,797 | Props total: 12452 12452
The jay hate on this website has gotten ridiculous

any person who doesn't hop on the anti jay bandwagon is labelled a stan on boxden

these n*ggas name a different artist to go up against jay every other day
 5 years ago '07        #217
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
X bodied hov in a battle that is a fact
 5 years ago '04        #218
Bedewe22 1 heat pts
space
space
 KnicksLost said:
X bodied hov in a battle that is a fact

Where is the footage? All we have is opinions from Jay's camp and X's camp.
 5 years ago '13        #219
HipHopFactz 436 heat pts436
space
space
$31,046 | Props total: 38332 38332
 StateProperty88 said:

people consider that summerjam performance epic, and whether he lost or not, was a part of one of the biggest battles the game has seen and great music was made out of that battle from both sides. (edit: and if im not mistaken thats the year he did mtv unplugged and that went plat too i believe) these are things that stuck with you a decade after they happen, ja had no such thing, to his credit though he sh*t sold and he did have an anthem or 2 from that album
2001 was Ja's best year 3 million albums sold, the Jlo I'm Real song, Ashanti collab All Ways On Time, both went no 1 on the charts. Its his most successful album to date and he was at his peak fame wise, he was running 2001
 5 years ago '05        #220
space
space
 HipHopFactz said:
2001 was Ja's best year 3 million albums sold, the Jlo I'm Real song, Ashanti collab All Ways On Time, both went no 1 on the charts. Its his most successful album to date and he was at his peak fame wise, he was running 2001
homie, you stated stuff that was already stated and didnt address my post that you quoted, maybe you should try again
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
31 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
51 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now