When Dmx was in his prime, he had Jay Z looking like Scottie Pippen

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
85 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
13766 pageviews
240 comments

Laronla 429 heat pts429
space
space
space
$7,163 | Props total: 16832 16832
When Dmx was in his prime, he had Jay Z looking like Scottie Pippen

When Dmx and Jay z were in competition from 98 to 2000, Dmx was k!lling that n*gga all across the boards. It wasn't until Dmx started doing them exit wound movies and slacking on his rap sh-t that Jay z was really looked at as number 1. It's not like Hov rose up, X just fell off, and Jay stayed afloat. But if Dmx would have stayed on top of his game, Jay wouldn't be talked about as much, and Dmx would likely been looked at as the Goat. Not that it matters, I'm just a x fan, and think this generation doesn't really give him the respect he deserves. If you got Biggie in your top 10, I think Dmx should be right up there somewhere

240 comments for "When Dmx was in his prime, he had Jay Z looking like Scottie Pippen"

03-26-2013, 11:31 AM         #2
Mwana Ya Lola 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 5 years ago '13        #3
HipHopFactz 437 heat pts437
space
space
$31,081 | Props total: 38468 38468
HipHopFactz co signs
 5 years ago '10        #4
Walmart 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,918 | Props total: 9074 9074
True, DMX was the bigger artist during that time
 5 years ago '06        #5
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
$14,136 | Props total: 4737 4737
"and I'm tired of hearin about old n*ggas that had it" -
[pic - click to view]

Okapi slapped this ish

5 years ago '12        #6
Thugocracy 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,346 | Props total: 10 10
Crazy to think about that now. X was huge back then, so much hype around him. At that time I feel like Jay was looked at as basically being just another rapper while X brought something new.
 5 years ago '07        #7
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 197 197
True to an extent
Jay had his own little niche. He wasn't as aggressive as X was. You gotta give Jay credit for staying clever on the mic and keeping the hustler image intact. Other than Nas and maybe Big Pun, he was the only NYC threat to DMX. We knew one of them would eventually take over.

Last edited by Playa; 03-26-2013 at 11:55 AM..
 5 years ago '06        #8
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
 LYTE said:
"and I'm tired of hearin about old n*ggas that had it" -
[pic - click to view]

but X bodied the game with that dark flow.
Stole that shiny suit sh*t & got it muddy.
 5 years ago '06        #9
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
 Thugocracy said:
Crazy to think about that now. X was huge back then, so much hype around him. At that time I feel like Jay was looked at as basically being just another rapper while X brought something new.
though I think Jay is the best overall, if you follow his career, he always copied someone else sh*t. JAy didnt bring nothing new to rap.
 5 years ago '05        #10
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,264 | Props total: 9754 9754
I was listening to Vol. 2 the other day and it blows my mind that when that album dropped in 1998, DMX was THE ONLY ARTIST EVER TO HAVE TWO ALBUMS DEBUT AT NUMBER 1 IN THE SAME YEAR.

HE EVENTUALLY BECAME THE FIRST ARTIST TO HAVE HIS FIRST 5 ALBUMS REACH NUMBER 1 IN MUSIC HISTORY.

Yeah. That's in caps because n*ggas underestimate just how big DMX was.

Jay was Scottie Pippen? So was the rest of the rap game.
 5 years ago '07        #11
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
 WCIB said:
I was listening to Vol. 2 the other day and it blows my mind that when that album dropped in 1998, DMX was THE ONLY ARTIST EVER TO HAVE TWO ALBUMS DEBUT AT NUMBER 1 IN THE SAME YEAR.

HE EVENTUALLY BECAME THE FIRST ARTIST TO HAVE HIS FIRST 5 ALBUMS REACH NUMBER 1 IN MUSIC HISTORY.

Yeah. That's in caps because n*ggas underestimate just how big DMX was.

Jay was Scottie Pippen? So was the rest of the rap game.
A couple labels beg to differ.
 5 years ago '12        #12
Thugocracy 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,346 | Props total: 10 10
 LYTE said:
though I think Jay is the best overall, if you follow his career, he always copied someone else sh*t. JAy didnt bring nothing new to rap.
I always felt like Jay could rap (obviously) but that he was almost generic in a way, like there wasn't anything that really stuck out about him to me. In a sense I think that's kinda why he made it so far in the end, he took a somewhat safer route, just played the middle, talked about regular street sh*t but didn't get too extreme, had skills but didn't go over people's heads, good flow, etc.

I remember Reasonable Doubt dropping (I was going into 7th grade I think) and I remember when all his other sh*t up to the Blueprint dropped but I don't remember any of them having the type of impact at the time that they dropped as X did.

X took sh*t to an extreme, but the thing is I don't think that all that yelling and barking and sh*t could have resulted in the kind of longevity that Jay saw. Jay was always way smoother with his delivery so I think over time it could appeal to a soft-ass demographic in a way that X couldn't.
 5 years ago '05        #13
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
 Nyuzi said:
A couple labels beg to differ.
 5 years ago '07        #14
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
 WCIB said:
Check the stat sheets
 5 years ago '05        #15
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
 Nyuzi said:
Check the stat sheets
 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM         #16
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah, that's why X was a Supporting Artist on the "Hard Knock Life" Tour While Jay was Headlining...

5 years ago '07        #17
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
 WCIB said:
Which album dropped in June of 98, went No. 1, and eventually went 4x platinum?

Which album dropped at the end of 98 at No. 9 on the Billboard 200 and went on to go 4x platinum by the end of 99?

This is a hard one.
 5 years ago '12        #18
Laronla 429 heat pts429 OP
space
space
space
$7,163 | Props total: 16832 16832
 Illstreet said:
Yeah, that's why X was a Supporting Artist on the "Hard Knock Life" Tour While Jay was Headlining...

And they had to rearrange the line up, because Dmx's performance was so much better than Jay z's, that Jay couldn't even perform after X. Jay admitted this on several occasions
 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM         #19
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"Look at all these off brand ni**as,
Runnin round yappin bout, they be holdin figgas is big as Jiggas"

Jay even had the Best/Biggest fukking song on the Ruff Ryders CD.
 5 years ago '06        #20
LYTE 126 heat pts126
space
space
space
 Thugocracy said:
I always felt like Jay could rap (obviously) but that he was almost generic in a way, like there wasn't anything that really stuck out about him to me. In a sense I think that's kinda why he made it so far in the end, he took a somewhat safer route, just played the middle, talked about regular street sh*t but didn't get too extreme, had skills but didn't go over people's heads, good flow, etc.

I remember Reasonable Doubt dropping (I was going into 7th grade I think) and I remember when all his other sh*t up to the Blueprint dropped but I don't remember any of them having the type of impact at the time that they dropped as X did.

X took sh*t to an extreme, but the thing is I don't think that all that yelling and barking and sh*t could have resulted in the kind of longevity that Jay saw. Jay was always way smoother with his delivery so I think over time it could appeal to a soft-ass demographic in a way that X couldn't.
truth
i was going to 10th grade when RDoubt dropped. Jay never had a crazy buzz nor wasnt considered a heavyweight until Vol.2 dropped. so when he said "who's the best emcee Biggie, Jayz or Nas" me at 15/16 and my brother peers 10 years plus older all looked puzzled.

tbt, if nas was out there, the game could of been his for some time ESP after Pac/Big died. there was a void in 97 for East coast after big died. Jay tried with vol.1, he didnt hit. He struck gold(figure of speech)with vol 2. NAs took a break that k!lled him from 96 to 99 only dropping the lackluster The Firm.

Jay is smart. he rode waves. & correct. How long can a mofo yell on every song & expect longetivity
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
34 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
74 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
85 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy