10 Ways Dipset Changed Hip-Hop

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
147 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
77 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
133 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
9247 pageviews
107 comments

Radio Raheem 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,186 | Props total: 479 479
10 Ways Dipset Changed Hip-Hop

[pic - click to view]

10 They Pioneered the Artist-Driven Mixtapes of Today
G-Unit's mixtape hustle is rightfully given credit for turning 50 Cent and his proteges into hip-hop superstars, paving the way for the mixtape game as it's known today. But on the low, Dipset's The Diplomats, Vol. 1 was actually released at the beginning of 2002, prior to 50 Cent is the Future's June release.

Back when mixtapes were packed with different tracks from different artists, all given to one DJ, Dipset broke new ground and pushed their group on one release and sold it independently. It mixed industry freestyles with the group's original material, and successfully pushed their new singles to radio.

Among these singles was a song called "Oh Boy," which, of course, would go on to break Cam'ron as a national hip-hop star. Today, multiple artist-driven mixtapes drop per day; this was ground zero.

9 They Became Stars Through Street DVDs
Street DVDs pre-date Dipset—Master P was one of the early artists to work an underground trade in street cinema. But Dipset was the first to market itself so actively outside of music, to sell fans on the artists' real-life personalities the way a reality show would.

Whether traveling to London ("[Tim Westwood] is the only person I know in London with an American car—I would say the steering wheel is on the wrong side, but it's really on the right side which is the left side..."), showing off Cam's extravagant abode or proving their support of the neighborhood by buying a bunch of booze on New Year's Eve, the DVDs were a window into the singular personalities and eccentricities of Dipset.

8 They Changed the Face of Rap Fashion
Dipset was Harlem and Harlem has always been about fashion. So when Dipset hit the scene, it's no surprise that Harlem's fashionable flamboyance came with them. From Juelz Santana's American flag gear to the crew's bright, baggy coats, furs, and fitted caps, Dipset was a loud, extroverted, unapologetic presence.

The culmination of all of this, of course, was how Cam'ron brought the color pink to the forefront, from his footwear to his automobiles: "bi-ches say I'm tacky, daddy/Range look like Laffy Taffy."

7 They Brought Hip-Hop into the E-Beef Era
Tru Life seemed to have it all; a Jay-Z endorsement, a reported six-figure deal with Rocafella, and growing buzz thanks, in part, to beef with Mobb Deep and Dipset. One such attack was the mixtape cover for Tru York, which featured Jim Jones in a Borat-style thong.

Dipset certainly broke important ground for hip-hop when they successfully hacked Tru Life's MySpace page (remember those?), replaced his photo with an image of Jim Jones, put Tru Life's face over Borat's body, and updated the cover with prominent placing for the name "Jim."

One hopes that it was Jim Jones himself PhotoShopping the Jim York logo just so.

6 They Introduced Important New Talent to the Game
The list of artists whose careers have benefitted from the Dipset movement is wide and varied. Of course, many were unable to emerge unscathed, but you'd be hard pressed to deny that Dipset had depth beyond the original Cam/Juelz/Jones/Zekey lineup.

They were responsible for the rise of producers like The Heatmakerz and Araabmuzik. The rappers that came up underneath them were a wide array of talents, from JR Writer to A-Mafia, Stack Bundles to Sen City to Vado. And of course—of particular note—Max B.

Although Max would fall out with the group in a dramatic fashion (and end up receiving a 75-year prison sentence), the rapper ended up becoming one of the most influential underground rappers of the late '00s.

5 They Embraced Artists Outside of NYC
Sure, Jay-Z recorded a "Ha" remix and reached out to Pimp and Bun for "Big Pimpin," but Dipset was a movement, and as such, were considerably more open to collaborations with rappers from across the country.

They got Master P to record a second sequel to "Bout It, Bout It" over the same beat, did songs with Paul Wall, The Game, Bun B and T.I., and the Heatmakerz ended up producing for both Lil Flip and Lil Wayne. At one point, the Dipset movement, ideology, and sound had spread nationwide, even without hits as big as those that kick-started Cam'ron as a star.

4 They Popularized "No Homo" and "Pause"
For better or, really, worse, Dipset popularized the world's most concise way to reassert your heteros3xuality, after incidentally saying something that might be misinterpreted as having a homos3xual subtext.

Despite a near-suffocating ubiquity last decade, these days, the terms are mostly seen as homophobic and juvenile. Things have changed, but it'd be inaccurate to overlook the widespread use of the vernacular, or that a large part of the influence to use it stemmed from Dipset.

3 They Changed the Face of Rap Fashion, Again
Not ones to get caught behind the times, as the Dipset umbrella grew to include groups like Byrd Gang and Skull Gang, the crew's style evolved. Out were the baggy, flashy Harlem fits of Cam'ron; in came the grungy rock star look of mid-decade Jim Jones.

Boot-cut True Religion jeans, designer scarves, Ed Hardy shirts and lots and lots of skulls took over. It was the "party like a rock star" era, and it was Jim Jones' peak of commercial relevance, so he became quite the influential force.

Don't just take our word for it. Let the man speak for himself: "Them dudes be talkin' about they swagger—nobody copies the Jay Z or T.I look but they damn sure copy me. Remember when bi-ches was asking they hairdressers for the Rachel cut? I'm in that Jennifer Aniston zone, them dudes is Lisa Kudrow!"

2 They Brought Humor Back to NYC Rap
Jadakiss had zingers and 50 seemed eternally bemused while eviscerating his enemies, but you can't say that anyone in New York was touching the Diplomats when it came to comedy. From the skits to the punchlines, Cam and crew brought back a sense of brutal irreverence at a time when the city was in great need of it.

There was "On Fire Tonight," about catching an STI (opening sketch: a woman clowns Freeky Zekey while he threatens to put her in "eight headlocks" for giving him the clap). The group understood the comedic power of cutting right to the uncomfortable bone, that being concise and unpretentious made them more effective.

The mix of brutality and absurdity, in particular, was Cam's specialty: "I get the boosters boosting, I get computers 'putin', y'all get shot at, call me, I do the shooting." His apex may have come just as Jay-Z was entering the self-mythologizing moment in his career; who better to deflate Jigga's burgeoning profile with polite society than Cam, who memorably inquired as to how the King of New York could rock chancleta sandals with jeans?

Not to mention the skit where one of Cam's girls thinks chickens go "quack."

1 They Popularized Independence for Major Label Refugees
Regional stars from E-40 to Too $hort had been making independent moves for years before Dipset got on. But in the wake of Napster and the collapose of major label funding for rap music in the mid-2000s, Dipset—and Jim Jones in particular—pioneered the independent hustle for rappers who could deal with their own marketing, and found major label support dwindling.

The biggest name at this time, of course, was Koch Records, who soon signed artists like Master P and Snoop Dogg to deals. Koch had become something of a punchline (Lil Flip famously sent shots at Slim Thug, saying "after your album flop, you gon' be on Koch"). But Jones managed to build a successful career on the label; each record he released sold more than the previous one in its opening week, culminating in 2006's Hustler's P.O.M.E., which did 106,000 out the gate.

The rapper ended up getting signed by Sony/Columbia for his next record, but returned to Koch (at this point, renamed E1) afterwards and was even granted an A&R gig for the label: "Jim Jones put Koch on the map," said E1 president Alan Grunblatt at the time.

[pic - click to view]

10 Ways Dipset Changed Hip-Hop | Complex

107 comments for "10 Ways Dipset Changed Hip-Hop"

5 years ago '13        #2
HipHopFactz 436 heat pts436
space
space
$31,061 | Props total: 38356 38356
in terms of fashion the belts swag they brought over from Europe etc, fitted jeans

but rappers then went 20 steps to far fitted jeans turned into leggings, then skirts and now u have rappers wearing female belts
 5 years ago '11        #3
Radio Raheem 14 heat pts14 OP
space
space
 HipHopFactz said:
in terms of fashion the belts swag they brought over from Europe etc, fitted jeans

but rappers then went 20 steps to far fitted jeans turned into leggings, then skirts and now u have rappers wearing female belts
Ill make you wear it
 5 years ago '05        #4
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,043 | Props total: 823 823
5 They Embraced Artists Outside of NYC

and Wu-Tang didn't?
 5 years ago '11        #5
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
50 cent and GUnit should be credit with at least 4 of these claims

And Diddy, Damon John from fubu and Dame Dash should be credited with hip hop fashion....they took hip hop style from wearing clothes and giving free promotion to these racist companies that didn't want to fu*k with us in the 80s and made their own fashion labels then thru marketing of their own, they went on to gross 100s of millions of dollars.............all dipset did was dress like phags and promote fashion companies that don't like fu*king with the urban community

And Jay did more than just the Ha remix and big pimpin....he has like 4 classic songs with Scarface and beanie sigel plus he has songs with snoop dogg, master p and twista all before 2003.....fu*k this list talking about...talking about syrup makes you embrace southern sh*t?

Last edited by UrbanGAAWD; 03-25-2013 at 03:47 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #6
Young Hov 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,473 | Props total: 3 3
I heart Dipset
 5 years ago '06        #7
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,126 | Props total: 4714 4714
 Radio Raheem said:

[pic - click to view]

G-Unit's mixtape hustle is rightfully given credit for turning 50 Cent and his proteges into hip-hop superstars, paving the way for the mixtape game as it's known today. But on the low, Dipset's The Diplomats, Vol. 1 was actually released at the beginning of 2002, prior to 50 Cent is the Future's June release.
smh @ complex. they're usually decent but 1997 says "hi"

The Montana Way

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #8
Young Hov 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,473 | Props total: 3 3
i was around homey... nobody was listening to the cormega tape, fukk outta here

and if you can't see dipset's influence those times then you def wasn't around
 5 years ago '05        #9
s1eepyboy 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,556 | Props total: 4912 4912
camron goat rapper
 5 years ago '04        #10
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$4,213 | Props total: 1039 1039
Dipset dipset

Some of these are still hilarious to this day

For me it wasnt jay's blueprint but rsonist's sped up samples... That alvin the chipmunk sound... Also the overdramatic, orchestral, movie-theme soundin like epic beats... That got me interested not just in party breaks and atomic dog oriented samples in hip hop but real dope songs that stands on its own. The rza had the sounds from shaolin temple, i know, but the heatmakerz had wicked sample loops for dayz...
 5 years ago '08        #11
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,872 | Props total: 723 723
lmao "that's a duck, u wanna be a duck or a chicken"
 5 years ago '11        #12
space
space
I remember me and my n*ggaz and some dyke bi*ch use to wear bandanas and listen to dipset songs we recorded on our boost mobile churp phones,i miss those days
 5 years ago '11        #13
space
space
We also use to wear them 4x biggie and tupac shirts we got from the flea market,damn i came along way
 5 years ago '12        #14
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,032 | Props total: 17221 17221
People always try and discredit what they did, but them n*ggas had sh*t on smash.

Complex forgot to add that the tri-state area wouldn't have 60% of the bloods they do now if it weren't for Dipset . I remember the gangs were blowing up an sh*t...but they weren't so front street....Dipset blew up and started doin the blood sh*t and everywhere I went in NY and NJ was red
 5 years ago '10        #16
Smith262 57 heat pts57
space
space
$4,912 | Props total: 319 319
And of course—of particular note—Max B.

Although Max would fall out with the group in a dramatic fashion (and end up receiving a 75-year prison sentence), the rapper ended up becoming one of the most influential underground rappers of the late '00s.

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '13        #17
Thetinman 24 heat pts24
space
space
$2,758 | Props total: 49 49

Back when mixtapes were packed with different tracks from different artists, all given to one DJ, Dipset broke new ground and pushed their group on one release and sold it independently. It mixed industry freestyles with the group's original material, and successfully pushed their new singles to radio.
Smh everything these n*ggas did with tapes texas was already doin. I'll give them some props they put out some hot sh*t, but they ain't no fu*king Pioneers of sh*t.
 5 years ago '06        #18
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,126 | Props total: 4714 4714
 Young Hov said:
i was around homey... nobody was listening to the cormega tape, fukk outta here

and if you can't see dipset's influence those times then you def wasn't around
i was around too "homey". I never said anything about their influence.

all of that fucc around here aint even called for Complex said they pioneered it. Im just stating Mega was 1 of the few artist who did that first.
 5 years ago '10        #19
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
11. Wayne wouldnt be wayne with out help from the dipset crew

n*ggas in the south felt dipset and most n*ggas in the south hate NY artist just for gp. So Dipset HAD to be major
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
147 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
95 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
297 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
45 comments
2 days ago