I'm 29 years old, how do i learn to dress in style for my age?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #41
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 855 855
Wardrobe Essentials for a young man like yourself:

black leather jacket: I wouldn't say to go for a motorcycle style jacket, but if that suits you, go for it. Look for more of a bomber style and size down, you dont want a bulky fit

all purpose utility jacket: very important, if you opt for something in a military style, it gives you a commanding presence. Go ahead and laugh

a perfect, slim fit suit (navy, grey or charcoal): don't listen to everyone who says get a black suit. Black is boring, and unless you are attending a "black tie preferred event" (which is rare), navy, grey or charcoal is perfectly acceptable for a wedding or funeral. A bonus to having a grey or navy suit is you can paid the jacket or trousers with other looks for going out

white button down shirt: this is your swiss army knife. Don't skimp on spending here. Start with at least one and please make sure it fits properly. If it has extra material in the torso, take it to your tailor (which reminds me to make sure you find yourself a good tailer, cant stress that enough)

pair of dark denim: one pair of dark washed denim jeans. Black or indigo, straight or slim fit

v-neck sweater: try and get a couple of these in solid colors and you can pair them with dress shirts underneath. Make sure they are fitted, don't be a slob

dress shoes: black or dark brown. I would say if it is your first pair to start with loafers. Something with a buckle perhaps. You want to spend a couple hundred here. You can easily spend 5-8 hundred here though (save that for your next pair)

belt: If you are wearing this belt with your suit, no wider than 1 inch. If you are wearing this belt with your suit, it should match your shoes

ties: a solid black one for sure. As a secondary, grab something in a neutral color such as navy or chambray with a slight pattern or texture

scarf: If you like in a cold environment like me, it is so essential. It keeps you incredibly warm and it is also very versatile as there is many ways to wear a scarf. My first was a black one with dark grey and red stripes, very neutral and goes with anything. IF you have the extra cash, grab a second one with some color for a pop

once you have established these items, you can branch out to acquiring other pieces such as cardigans, blazers, trousers (no pleats for the love of god), khakis, maybe a trench or peacoat.

There is also other things I should mention which aren't necessarily clothing such as a decent razor/shaver/trimmer, moisturizer, a quality timepiece, sunglasses, fragrance, and a positive attitude.

Also, if you come across a particular designer or brand that fits you perfectly, don't hesitate to stock up. For example you find a perfect white button down shirt, grab 3 or 4. They won't last forever

One last thing, you need to take care of your clothing. I used to live with a guy who washed all his clothing in hot water and then threw it in the dryer on high. Blasphemy. You're going to spend a lot of money on your wardrobe, treat it with care. Wash all your cottons in cold water and hang or lay flat to dry. Wools: let them soak in cold water and hand wash, reshape while wet and lay flat to dry. Use common sense and take leathers to a leather cleaner, suits, blazers, trousers and bags to the drycleaner.
 5 years ago '07        #42
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 Hovi Bryant said:
Horrible advice.

This whole "do you" thing has context.

Don't wear some street clothes if you're going to a formal event. You're going to embarrass whoever invited you, along with yourself.

Formal can be anything from a plain polo, all the way to a tux. Start from there and then "do you".
That's why I clearly said "Dress for occasions." Don't be the dude at a vow renewal "doing you" with some camo cargos and Infrared 6s. My a.ssumption is that a "grown man" is someone with home training who realizes which clothes are ideal for specific environments. Not someone going for the look.

My beef is with this misconception that business casual or semi-formal or trendy chic is somehow synonymous with being a grown man. There are a lot of grown men out here rocking Navajo prints that are better adjusted as independent adults than the dudes with form-fitted gear that's safe for lounges.

Last edited by KeithHernandez; 03-25-2013 at 05:57 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #43
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
 makaveli_420 said:
wardrobe essentials for a young man like yourself:

Black leather jacket: I wouldn't say to go for a motorcycle style jacket, but if that suits you, go for it. Look for more of a bomber style and size down, you dont want a bulky fit

all purpose utility jacket: Very important, if you opt for something in a military style, it gives you a commanding presence. Go ahead and laugh

a perfect, slim fit suit (navy, grey or charcoal): Don't listen to everyone who says get a black suit. Black is boring, and unless you are attending a "black tie preferred event" (which is rare), navy, grey or charcoal is perfectly acceptable for a wedding or funeral. A bonus to having a grey or navy suit is you can paid the jacket or trousers with other looks for going out

white button down shirt: This is your swiss army knife. Don't skimp on spending here. Start with at least one and please make sure it fits properly. If it has extra material in the torso, take it to your tailor (which reminds me to make sure you find yourself a good tailer, cant stress that enough)

pair of dark denim: One pair of dark washed denim jeans. Black or indigo, straight or slim fit

v-neck sweater: Try and get a couple of these in solid colors and you can pair them with dress shirts underneath. Make sure they are fitted, don't be a slob

dress shoes: Black or dark brown. I would say if it is your first pair to start with loafers. Something with a buckle perhaps. You want to spend a couple hundred here. You can easily spend 5-8 hundred here though (save that for your next pair)

belt: If you are wearing this belt with your suit, no wider than 1 inch. If you are wearing this belt with your suit, it should match your shoes

ties: A solid black one for sure. As a secondary, grab something in a neutral color such as navy or chambray with a slight pattern or texture

scarf: If you like in a cold environment like me, it is so essential. It keeps you incredibly warm and it is also very versatile as there is many ways to wear a scarf. My first was a black one with dark grey and red stripes, very neutral and goes with anything. If you have the extra cash, grab a second one with some color for a pop

once you have established these items, you can branch out to acquiring other pieces such as cardigans, blazers, trousers (no pleats for the love of god), khakis, maybe a trench or peacoat.

There is also other things i should mention which aren't necessarily clothing such as a decent razor/shaver/trimmer, moisturizer, a quality timepiece, sunglasses, fragrance, and a positive attitude.

Also, if you come across a particular designer or brand that fits you perfectly, don't hesitate to stock up. For example you find a perfect white button down shirt, grab 3 or 4. They won't last forever

one last thing, you need to take care of your clothing. I used to live with a guy who washed all his clothing in hot water and then threw it in the dryer on high. Blasphemy. You're going to spend a lot of money on your wardrobe, treat it with care. Wash all your cottons in cold water and hang or lay flat to dry. Wools: Let them soak in cold water and hand wash, reshape while wet and lay flat to dry. Use common sense and take leathers to a leather cleaner, suits, blazers, trousers and bags to the drycleaner.
qft...
 03-25-2013, 08:07 PM         #44
Niruggg 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 makaveli_420 said:
Wardrobe Essentials for a young man like yourself:
i agree with most of this post^^

However your leather doesn't necessarily have to be black I've got a really nice brown ralph lauren jacket that goes great with my reddish brown redwings, you don't want it to be baggy it should fit you snug but not so snug that it a problem to go into your pockets.

As far as the slim fit suit that depends on your body type generally large men don't fit european cut suits but they make some dope sh*t so if you got the body type rock out. If not like makaveli said find yourself a good tailor. you get no better fit the a jacket thats tailor made just for you

I would find a denim designer that you feel fits you good and get a variety of colors, dark denim is cool but i prefer odd washes my current fav is PRPS they fit me right and they can be worn casual or semi formal.

i don't like V necks...just my preference

Shoes are essential, a good pair, he said loafers i disagree i think loafers are a bit advanced you might wanna start with an Oxford i got my first "good" pair when i was like 15 from these guys well made they will literally last you a lifetime if you take care of them that means having a good shoe repair spot. had i not got em before my foot stop growing i would still have em

the right blazer in the back of the car can turn jeans from just chillin to casual dressy

but most of all be comfortable if your dress to the 9s but your not comfortable your no longer confident and then it doesn't after what you have on
 5 years ago '04        #45
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,457 | Props total: 80 80
man....yall n*ggas stupid. we know how to dress, if you havent noticed that the forum is called Kicks @ BX.

Kicks= sneakers, baseketball shoes, trainers, tennis shoes, however u wanna put it.

lets not act like people dont have or wear clothes meant for other occasions.

Last edited by Kalon; 03-26-2013 at 12:40 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #46
makaveli_420 
space
space
space
$2,686 | Props total: 855 855
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Niruggg again.

Niruggg said:
i agree with most of this post^^

However your leather doesn't necessarily have to be black I've got a really nice brown ralph lauren jacket that goes great with my reddish brown redwings, you don't want it to be baggy it should fit you snug but not so snug that it a problem to go into your pockets.

As far as the slim fit suit that depends on your body type generally large men don't fit european cut suits but they make some dope sh*t so if you got the body type rock out. If not like makaveli said find yourself a good tailor. you get no better fit the a jacket thats tailor made just for you

I would find a denim designer that you feel fits you good and get a variety of colors, dark denim is cool but i prefer odd washes my current fav is PRPS they fit me right and they can be worn casual or semi formal.

i don't like V necks...just my preference

Shoes are essential, a good pair, he said loafers i disagree i think loafers are a bit advanced you might wanna start with an Oxford i got my first "good" pair when i was like 15 from these guys well made they will literally last you a lifetime if you take care of them that means having a good shoe repair spot. had i not got em before my foot stop growing i would still have em

the right blazer in the back of the car can turn jeans from just chillin to casual dressy

but most of all be comfortable if your dress to the 9s but your not comfortable your no longer confident and then it doesn't after what you have on

yea I suggest black because I think it takes a certain personality to rock a different colored leather. White, Navy, Brown, Oxblood, all very fashionable...if you are the type to rock it, then do you damnit. Just make sure before you drop 800+ on leather threads that you love it and you can wear it often

As far as suiting, my favorite off the rack brand is Tiger Of Sweden, no doubt THE best. At least half of my formal wardrobe is by them.

And yea I was just stating the essentials, a dark wash denim is essential. I've got probably 12 or 13 pairs of denim. Just gotta make sure you have the dark wash. Light or distressed is great for summer and spring. Like I said and you also, find a good designer or brand and grab a few pairs in different tones. My favorite is Adriano Goldschmeid, no doubt

Remember, I'm in Canada and we like to layer up here which is why my selection may include some other things such as the v-neck sweater. It is a perfect garment to layer with. Hey, everyone is different right, how much fun would it be if we all walked around wearing the same thing??

5 years ago '07        #47
S0ap 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,424 | Props total: 291 291
for inspiration just search "menswear" on tumblr or pinterest. for guides on what's trending i'd recommend following tommy ton's street style blog or check out men's magazine websites. but in all honesty, you're not gonna get anywhere unless you know the rules of style. Ex: How long a tie is suppose to be, or when to wear black or brown shoes, how to match patterns without clashing, how to tell if what you're wear is too big, etc. For that I recommend . Start basic then eventually get creative with your style.
 5 years ago '04        #48
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space
delete

Last edited by Kalon; 03-25-2013 at 11:09 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #49
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space

[pic - click to view]

this is who im going to model myself after when it comes to dressing like this. i aint got his money but i will definitely try to achieve that type of clothing fit.

this type of clothing aint for fat n*ggas either.
 5 years ago '06        #50
Junglist 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,043 | Props total: 9891 9891
All the advice in this thread is horrible, especially Keith Hernandez and the clown that said look in the wdywt thread, Makaveli_420 gave the best advice and go on Pinterest and look at men's fashion, copy what you see enjoy the pus*y.

And I forgot who previously mentioned this but most importantly of ALL

FIND A GOOD TAILOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Dress shirts should not be baggy at your waist

Dress pants and denim should not be too tight or too baggy and the waist should always be able to stay up without a belt

Last edited by Junglist; 03-25-2013 at 11:42 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #51
bridouble 239 heat pts239
space
space
$6,943 | Props total: 2512 2512
Lmao @ asking for fashion tips on bx.
 5 years ago '06        #52
Junglist 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Kalon said:

[pic - click to view]

this is who im going to model myself after when it comes to dressing like this. i aint got his money but i will definitely try to achieve that type of clothing fit.

this type of clothing aint for fat n*ggas either.
FYI Kobe looks like a clown in this pic, hes not even wearing his size

you wanna model yourself after someone look up Ryan Gosling and David Beckham
 5 years ago '04        #53
Sabotage 9 heat pts
space
space
$17,240 | Props total: 35 35
 Kalon said:
man....yall n*ggas stupid. we know how to dress, if you havent noticed that the forum is called Kicks @ BX.

Kicks= sneakers, baseketball shoes, trainers, tennis shoes, however u wanna put it.

[pic - click to view]

not the best picture nor the best outfit but yall get the point.
my man, why are you wearing jordan size slacks? get some fu*king pants that fit, those pants are baggy as hell and so is that sweater. your pants shouldnt be fitting like jeans
 5 years ago '06        #54
Junglist 23 heat pts23
space
space
I thought he put that to be funny or to show someone that was being different

He couldnt be serious with that picture
 5 years ago '07        #55
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 Junglist said:
All the advice in this thread is horrible, especially Keith Hernandez and the clown that said look in the wdywt thread, Makaveli_420 gave the best advice and go on Pinterest and look at men's fashion, copy what you see enjoy the pus*y.

And I forgot who previously mentioned this but most importantly of ALL

FIND A GOOD TAILOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Dress shirts should not be baggy at your waist

Dress pants and denim should not be too tight or too baggy and the waist should always be able to stay up without a belt
That hurts from you, Jung. I wasn't giving advice. Just explaining that a grown man isn't fascinated with a grown-man look in my long-winded way.
 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM         #56
Niruggg 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Junglist said:
FYI Kobe looks like a clown in this pic, hes not even wearing his size

you wanna model yourself after someone look up Ryan Gosling and David Beckham
why would a Blackman ever model himself after a white man,

Last edited by Niruggg; 03-26-2013 at 10:28 AM..
 5 years ago '06        #57
Junglist 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Niruggg said:
why would a Blackman ever model himself after a white man,
Yeah because when you shop they have shirts and slacks separated by race and ethnicity

fu*king Clown
 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM         #58
cavsfantic23 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
OP IS REMEDIAL
 5 years ago '07        #59
Root Of Evil 56 heat pts56
space
space
$11,914 | Props total: 573 573
 Kalon said:

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #60
GollyI'mGully 69 heat pts69
space
space
$7,735 | Props total: 400 400
 Kalon said:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside R.I.P. Polar Bears
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy