Time Out New York Names Jay-Z "Greatest NYC Hip-Hop Artist," Notorious B.I.G Gets 2nd Place

most viewed right now
Video inside Rolland Collins, aka Troy Ave, Wheeled Into Manhattan Criminal Court;"I..
165 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jaden Smith has officially lost his mind
112 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Havana Ginger Can Still Get It
54 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA The Decision - Kevin Durant Edition
67 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM         #1
7479 pageviews
156 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Time Out New York Names Jay-Z "Greatest NYC Hip-Hop Artist," Notorious B.I.G Gets 2nd Place

Jay-Z has beaten out the Notorious B.I.G. for Time Out New York's "50 Greatest NYC Hip-Hop Artists" list.

[pic - click to view]

By Latifah Muhammad (@TheLatifah) March 21, 2013, 15:13pm

Hovito won the honor thanks to his genre-bending collaborations, and for being the best at enduring "the day-in, day-out shift of the modern rap era."
According to their website, Jay "filled the void created with Christopher Wallace's death with gold-standard-setting LPs like 1998's Vol. 2 Hard Knock Life, 1999's Vol 3 Life and Times of S. Carter and 2001's The Blueprint."

The list features a host of old school rap figures like Kool Herc (No. 47), Digable Planets (No. 36), and Big Daddy Kane (No. 11), plus the newbies, including Nicki Minaj (No. 35) and A$AP Rocky (No. 39). Rakim's lyrical expertise helped him crack the Top 15, and Sean "Diddy" Combs landed at No. 7. "Combs made his greatest impact on hip-hop with his entrepreneurial skill as the magnate behind Bad Boy," the story reads. "The template for every would-be empire builder who followed in his wake (not to mention the master of the original Harlem Shake)."

As expected, the list is causing controversy among readers. "While lists are ALWAYS subjective, and NO list can or should be argued, it's pretty clear that this list is more arbitrary than carefully constructed," commented one reader. "It's a great list that pays tribute to a great history of artistry from our area, but it is not fully accurate, nor properly indicative of a true hierarchy, and should not have been presented as such."

Another person debated Jay-Z's placement."This is what happens when people who don't understand real rap and just look at charts and sales do 'rap' list they pick the most popular person," the reader wrote. "Nas is No.1 and Big is No. 2 Jay-z is third at best knock it off."
Making the process interactive, TONY allowed select rappers to nominate their favorite MCs, and encourages readers to share their thoughts via their Twitter page.
--
Photo: Jon Klemm

Read more at
[pic - click to view]

Time Out New York Names Jay-Z "Greatest NYC Hip-Hop Artist," Notorious B.I.G Gets 2nd Place | Hip-Hop Wired

top in section
24 comments
top in hiphop
top in section
9 comments
top in news
top in section
32 comments
top in movies

03-21-2013, 01:21 PM         #2
Mwana Ya Lola 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

I'm before the stans...

3 years ago '10        #3
Hovi Bryant 567 heat pts567
space
space
$26,560 | Props total: 5321 5321
Camel Warriors salute!!

We in here!!!!!

3 years ago '06        #4
LYTE 84 heat pts84
space
space
space
$12,294 | Props total: 479 479
not a stan but I totally respect that opinion

03-21-2013, 01:24 PM         #5
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It makes sense given that this is Time NY. When did they become an authority in Hip Hop?....That being said.....

3 years ago '10        #6
Rebirth46 55 heat pts55
space
space
$3,744 | Props total: 2 2
Young!!!!!!!!!!!1

3 years ago '06        #7
LYTE 84 heat pts84
space
space
space
$12,294 | Props total: 479 479
ASAP on list?
Puff before Rakim....cool list

3 years ago '11        #8
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
$21,010 | Props total: 42 42
 s7venwords said:
Another person debated Jay-Z's placement."This is what happens when people who don't understand real rap and just look at charts and sales do 'rap' list they pick the most popular person," the reader wrote. "Nas is No.1 and Big is No. 2 Jay-z is third at best knock it off."

Sales matter when providing reasons why Jay is the GOAT but they never do any other time. I wonder why that is

3 years ago '05        #9
T.O.N.Y. 3633 heat pts3633
space
space
$66,711 | Props total: 3252 3252
Nas >>>>>>>

3 years ago '04        #10
Adwerdz 167 heat pts167
space
space
$25,324 | Props total: 1227 1227
jay done more for nyc than any rapper, so why not?

3 years ago '10        #11
Cashis Clay 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,746 | Props total: 45 45
Jay that n*gga and I do think he's the best outta NY...

But since Puff is #7 and ASAP an Nicki is on there, this list is null and void

3 years ago '10        #12
space
space
 dlettern said:
It makes sense given that this is Time NY. When did they become an authority in Hip Hop?....That being said.....
CNN said Nas was the GOAT. Didn't see you in there.

03-21-2013, 01:35 PM         #13
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Retro said:

Sales matter when providing reasons why Jay is the GOAT but they never do any other time. I wonder why that is
It's longevity.... as Facemob & Too $hort said years ago.

[video - click to view]

3 years ago '10        #14
space
space
 Retro said:

Cuz nobody fu*ks with anyone else. Jay gets everyone to buy his sh*t.

The people who like Nas' bootleg the fu*k out of him anyway.

I remember my homeboy back in high school said Nas was the GOAT. He siding have one legit Nas album. But he had some ol bullsh*t R&B cuts.

3 years ago '08        #15
Chief Dee 6 heat pts
space
space
$10,683 | Props total: 52 52
Nas is better than Jay, but Jay in his prime held the lyrical crown for commercial rappers. People talk about him making pop records like he wasnt nasty. Bullsh*t, put this in prospective back in 2001 when Jay dropped Takeover the record was so strong that n*ggas thought Nas was finished. I remember, I had a computer back in '01 the audio and video of Jay-Z at Summer Jam was on every rap site. It looked ugly for Nas for a minute, at that time nobody was saying that Nas was far and away superior to Jay-Z, it wasnt till later years when n*ggas started hating on Jay that they started fronting like Nas always had a crazy gap over Jay.

But prime late 90's early 2000's Jay was considered neck-and-neck with Nas at the time. Nowadays Nas is far ahead but it wasnt like that when I first started using the net.

3 years ago '10        #16
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$25,023 | Props total: 4194 4194

[pic - click to view]

YOUNG!!!!

3 years ago '10        #17
Mocking Mind 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,407 | Props total: 16 16
He is...

Except for

3 years ago '13        #18
HipHopFactz 296 heat pts296
space
space
$25,028 | Props total: 5432 5432
Yes Time Out New York Magazine the authority on hip hop culture and all things rap related

Like anyone here reads that sh*t, or gives two fu*ks what some dorky writer has to say.

Anyways

BIG >>>

3 years ago '12        #19
iBoxden 27 heat pts27
space
space
$2,776 | Props total: 87 87

3 years ago '10        #20
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$25,023 | Props total: 4194 4194
 HipHopFactz said:
Yes Time Out New York Magazine the authority on hip hop culture and all things rap related

Like anyone here reads that sh*t, or gives two fu*ks what some dorky writer has to say.

Anyways

BIG >>>

JOVEN!!!

Home      

most viewed right now
NBA Thunder-Warriors game thread - continued
4207 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sutton Tennyson is the guy who shot LOAD in Angela Simmions He's 6'5 c..
152 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside AllHipHop.Com Examines Allegations Of Taxstone's Involvement In Troy Av..
65 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside thefull_monti
34 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside This cube test will tell you everything about your personality..
84 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside That time Thor was ready to body Iron Man
64 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Apple Store Worker Tells What it's Really like Working for Apple
39 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Amber Heard laughing with her new girlfriend as she leaves her Lawyers Office ..
75 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy