How Much Do Artists REALLY Earn?

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
26 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
73 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
96 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
267 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #41
Account001 
space
space
$3,342 | Props total: 180 180
 iBoxden said:

Do ya math my dude. say an artist like hov get's $7.50 per record. he sales 652,000 units in the states first week that comes out to be $4.9Mil first week pocket money for him. As a huge hov fan he's not doing 2 in the states no more because of how easy it is to get free music these days. so at the most he sales 1.5mil units in the states total after a few months. That's $11,250,000 pocketed from album sales. that's great. But sale 652,000 tickets in the states at $100 a ticket. not including the package joints they have. That's $65,200,000 in the states alone. after taxes are taken out you still comfortable with keeping your album sales?. now factor in the same amount of ticket sold at $100 on a 38 days tour throughout the rest of the world.

Now add that number up with the one i said before. -
dont worry about the numbers (and think an artist like The weekend, Joey Badass, or even K.dot)... nobody would come to the shows... and even if they did after the first tour date the album would be online for free

what prince did is now illegal and his album was free at the shows (nobody knew it was included in the ticket price)
 5 years ago '12        #42
iBoxden 27 heat pts27
space
space
$2,897 | Props total: 235 235
 Account001 said:
dont worry about the numbers (and think an artist like The weekend, Joey Badass, or even K.dot)... nobody would come to the shows... and even if they did after the first tour date the album would be online for free

what prince did is now illegal and his album was free at the shows (nobody knew it was included in the ticket price)
 iBoxden said:
If i was a new artist that had a buzz as big as Drake did when he came through or on a Jay-Z level. To make my bread. Especially on a Major. I would go on a world tour with a new album. no retail, no itunes, no nothing. just straight release the album on tour. So you would have to come to the tour if you want the new album. no leakage of a great album that you should be buying. just make the entry rules strict. no phones no cameras. if caught.

I cleary said an artist of a greater status.
 5 years ago '04        #43
walterroan 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,294 | Props total: 79 79
 iBoxden said:
If i was a new artist that had a buzz as big as Drake did when he came through or on a Jay-Z level. To make my bread. Especially on a Major. I would go on a world tour with a new album. no retail, no itunes, no nothing. just straight release the album on tour. So you would have to come to the tour if you want the new album. no leakage of a great album that you should be buying. just make the entry rules strict. no phones no cameras. if caught.

the punk band fugazi used to always tour like that. you got a shirt and a cassette with your ticket purchase of 25 bucks. they were purposely trying to undermine the music industry though. and this was back in the early 90's too.
 5 years ago '04        #44
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,815 | Props total: 1847 1847
 iBoxden said:

Do ya math my dude. say an artist like hov get's $7.50 per record. he sales 652,000 units in the states first week that comes out to be $4.9Mil first week pocket money for him. As a huge hov fan he's not doing 2 in the states no more because of how easy it is to get free music these days. so at the most he sales 1.5mil units in the states total after a few months. That's $11,250,000 pocketed from album sales. that's great. But sale 652,000 tickets in the states at $100 a ticket. not including the package joints they have. That's $65,200,000 in the states alone. after taxes are taken out you still comfortable with keeping your album sales?. now factor in the same amount of ticket sold at $100 on a 38 days tour throughout the rest of the world.

Now add that number up with the one i said before. -

Bruh, nobody is getting anywhere near $7.50 a record on a MAJOR

talking about Hov sells 1.5 mill and profits $11 million

Then on top of that you're doing all types of stupid shyt in your math and pulling figures completely out of your a.ss.

Just stop man ,there is no situation where limiting the selling of your album to your shows would be more profitable than allowing it to be available everywhere

The math you did just showed me not only do you not know anything about the music industry but also nothing about how cost and profit with business in general works either.

Last edited by psylence2k; 03-21-2013 at 11:45 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #45
CartelFamill 55 heat pts55
space
space
space
$5,162 | Props total: 1504 1504
 187Proof said:
KInda wondering where that quote came from because Tha Dogg Pound's "Dogg Food" album was released on death Row Records. Not sure why they're considering that an independent release?
Because deathrow was idisturbed by Priorty Records which was Independant at The Time
 5 years ago '05        #46
Quddus 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$14,950 | Props total: 6187 6187
 psylence2k said:

Bruh, nobody is getting anywhere near $7.50 a record on a MAJOR

talking about Hov sells 1.5 mill and profits $11 million

Then on top of that you're doing all types of stupid shyt in your math and pulling figures completely out of your a.ss.

Just stop man ,there is no situation where limiting the selling of your album to your shows would be more profitable than allowing it to be available everywhere

The math you did just showed me not only do you not know anything about the music industry but also nothing about how cost and profit with business in general works either.

Nobody knows what HOV is getting. Clearly he is not broke. Honestly I don't even think major artist worry about records sales. They probably get they money up front and the record company gets all of the sales.

Honestly that is the best thing to do I would take 30mil for a 4-5 album deal.
 5 years ago '04        #47
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Quddus said:
Nobody knows what HOV is getting. Clearly he is not broke. Honestly I don't even think major artist worry about records sales. They probably get they money up front and the record company gets all of the sales.

Honestly that is the best thing to do I would take 30mil for a 4-5 album deal.
Whatever it is , it isn't no $7.50 an album, Michael Jackson who had the highest royalty rate in the biz during his thriller years was only getting $2 a record and that was back when records were actually selling.
 5 years ago '06        #48
Johnny Tapwater 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,559 | Props total: 2683 2683
 BryanBodyLotion said:
How do you think Wiz and Mac Miller are actually really well...they're independent so they get more money for themselves...
were from Pittsburgh..were smart

we're
 5 years ago '10        #49
Walmart 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,908 | Props total: 9059 9059
 psylence2k said:
Whatever it is , it isn't no $7.50 an album, Michael Jackson who had the highest royalty rate in the biz during his thriller years was only getting $2 a record and that was back when records were actually selling.
Yeah, I'm not sure indy artists even keep $7.50 per record, but I see the point the other poster was making.
 5 years ago '04        #50
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Walmart said:
Yeah, I'm not sure indy artists even keep $7.50 per record, but I see the point the other poster was making.
I really dont think they do , Multiple big figures like 50, Jay, Stoute, etc have shot down that notion.

Records retail in places like Target, WalMart, Best Buy for like $12 to $14, the retailer usually gets all of the mark-up past the $7-$8 mark. So it's hard to see even an Indy label giving up damn near ALL profit and distributing an artist's record for free.
 5 years ago '04        #51
walterroan 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,294 | Props total: 79 79
artists get on average 7 to 10 points, a point = 1 cent.

let that soak in.

on a major label, artists make 7 to 10 cents per record sold.
Home      

most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
113 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
73 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Denzel speaking Realism!
30 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
107 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy