How Much Do Artists REALLY Earn?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
148 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
7 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #21
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,362 | Props total: 6374 6374
 BryanBodyLotion said:
How do you think Wiz and Mac Miller are actually really well...they're independent so they get more money for themselves...
were from Pittsburgh..were smart
wiz is on atlantic
 5 years ago '11        #22
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,446 | Props total: 617 617
 iBoxden said:
If i was a new artist that had a buzz as big as Drake did when he came through or on a Jay-Z level. To make my bread. Especially on a Major. I would go on a world tour with a new album. no retail, no itunes, no nothing. just straight release the album on tour. So you would have to come to the tour if you want the new album. no leakage of a great album that you should be buying. just make the entry rules strict. no phones no cameras. if caught.

that's a pretty stupid business plan
 5 years ago '10        #23
Account001 
space
space
$3,341 | Props total: 179 179
wiz is signed

fresh prince gif dude is dumb AF

I though boxden was back for a second
 5 years ago '10        #24
Walmart 8 heat pts
space
space
$11,846 | Props total: 8964 8964
Kanye and Jay Z only get 3 mil for certain shows, I believe.

I think that list reflects the most an artist has ever made in one show (at the time the list was made).

It all depends on the venue and what show.

Definitely props to Macklemore for doing so many #s indy.

I like when artists take a stand and release music on their own terms.
 5 years ago '04        #25
187Proof 470 heat pts470
space
space
$6,253 | Props total: 6367 6367
 regulate said:
deathrow was a record label not a distributor. The article said independently distributed not released.

Although I thought interscope distributed that one as well. Could be wrong...
Yeah Interscope distributed it. Def not anything close to independent.
 5 years ago '05        #26
Basicgz 
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 1399 1399
 regulate said:
deathrow was a record label not a distributor. The article said independently distributed not released.

Although I thought interscope distributed that one as well. Could be wrong...
Dogg Food was distributed through Priority Records which at that time was a independent label. Master P & No Limit went through them also during their glory years. That's why P always screamed that Independent and black owned stuff on all his records when No Limit was on fire.
 5 years ago '11        #27
GrindPOWER$ 389 heat pts389
space
space
$19,253 | Props total: 12503 12503
didn't ICE CUBE sold gold independent on one album he seen a nice size check from that everybody knows independent is the way to be all you need is some catchy music a co-sign from couple major artist and a loyal team you can get bank out this game...out the box way to sell records i got a few idea's i'm working on this game will never see me coming when i get off in it.

Last edited by GrindPOWER$; 03-20-2013 at 06:37 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #28
Seb.201 
space
space
$387 | Props total: 12 12
I went on tour with a Hip Hop artist and the money for record sales whether it be digital or at a store like FYE are not even worth taking a look at. The real money is in touring. First step is to determine what the draw of the artist is. Lets say Artist A brings in a draw of 1000 people. Your manager would go to the venue lets say SOBS in NYC he would ask to speak to the promoter if he has room for Artist A who has a draw of 1000 people per show. The promoter then asks for an advance which is usually half of what the ticket sales would be in this case whatever 500 tickets would be lets say they're 10 dollars a ticket. You will be able to generate a good $10,000 for the show. Now the tricky part is the split or the "rip" so lets say out of 1 ticket which is $10 you probably will split the rip with the venue at 7 to 3 ....which means $3 going to the venue and $7 going to yourself to pay for your expenses and tour. so at the end of the day you will walk away with $7,000 for one show but take into consideration what you else you can do. The most important thing to have besides the ticket sales is a merchandise table as long as your selling hot sh*t like shirts bookbags even custom Jordans whatever you can sell that you know your fan would want is also a money maker. So say you sell 20 shirts at 30 dollars a shirt you making an extra $500 which will probably come out to $400 after the costs of the shirts. So the job of your manager is to book SOBS one night then you're off to another show lets say in Maine the next night then Boston and if you are averaging this ratio and rate you're making pretty good money and you're able to pay your team. This is on a smaller scale but I hope this helped you a little bit.
 5 years ago '06        #29
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
$32,947 | Props total: 13568 13568
 Aten said:
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis might go Plat independently
that my point

gold album
4x plat single
 5 years ago '06        #30
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
$32,947 | Props total: 13568 13568
 BryanBodyLotion said:
How do you think Wiz and Mac Miller are actually really well...they're independent so they get more money for themselves...
were from Pittsburgh..were smart
wiz is on a major jack

5 years ago '12        #31
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
$3,903 | Props total: 2401 2401
 killacag said:
Found this list of cost to perform( not including monies made from ticket sales, merch ect..)
List is correct, i know ppl part of some of the labels n these are the numbers they throw at promoters, kinda crazy that these guys really make this much

btw before "Pop That" French was making $8,000
 5 years ago '05        #32
DanBootleg 210 heat pts210
space
space
$18,772 | Props total: 8933 8933
I was told that if it costs 100 000 to book an artist that doesn't mean they pocket 100 000. That mans they get 100 000 to put the show on, so that money gets broken down by whoever needs to get paid to put the show on.
 03-20-2013, 10:54 PM         #33
J_Rey 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sh*t if that's the case who need the majors?
 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM         #34
A6249CF 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Aten said:
before I even checked I knew he was gonna be Jewish
 5 years ago '11        #35
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
Macklemore is at 200k which equals roughly 2 milli plus his single is 4 times plat so 1 dollar roughly is 4 milli....of course he didn't pocket 6 milli.....15-30 percent goes to distributor, plus manager cut and split with Ryan Lewis.....either way tho, he has more money than tyga
 5 years ago '06        #36
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,780 | Props total: 2260 2260
This is only talking about royalties from record sales and streaming. Don't major recording artists also get a lump sum of money upfront? Where as the independent artists have to rely only on record sales and concerts.
 5 years ago '04        #37
Kalon 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,457 | Props total: 80 80
 iBoxden said:
If i was a new artist that had a buzz as big as Drake did when he came through or on a Jay-Z level. To make my bread. Especially on a Major. I would go on a world tour with a new album. no retail, no itunes, no nothing. just straight release the album on tour. So you would have to come to the tour if you want the new album. no leakage of a great album that you should be buying. just make the entry rules strict. no phones no cameras. if caught.

In April 2004, Prince released Musicology through a one-album agreement with Columbia Records. The album rose as high as the top five on a number of international charts (including the U.S, UK, Germany and Australia). The U.S. chart success was a.ssisted by the CD being included as part of the concert ticket purchase, and each CD thereby qualifying (as chart rules then stood) towards U.S. chart placement. Musicology is R&B and soul themed along with funk, pop, quiet storm, and rock.
That same year, Rolling Stone magazine named Prince as the highest-earning musician in the world, with an annual income of $56.5 million,[74] largely due to his Musicology Tour, which Pollstar named as the top concert draw among musicians in U.S. The artist played an impressive run of 96 concerts; the average ticket price for a show was U.S.$61. Further highlighting the success of the album, Prince's Musicology went on to receive two Grammy wins, for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for "Call My Name" and Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance for the title track. Musicology was also nominated for Best R&B Song and Best R&B Album, while "Cinnamon Girl" was nominated for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. The album became the artist's most commercially successful since Diamonds and Pearls, partly due to a radical scheme devised which included in Billboard's sales figures those that were distributed to each customer during ticket sales for the Musicology tour, with concert figures accounting for 25% of the total album sales.[75]

From wiki. that short n*gga out here winning.
 5 years ago '04        #38
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,117 | Props total: 4418 4418
 Aten said:
they dont each have to. n*ggas is indie and on every radio station in major markets at least twice and hr. n*ggas bank accounts is prolly off charts now
 5 years ago '04        #39
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,786 | Props total: 1794 1794
 iBoxden said:

I'm sorry but this is just retarded, there's just so many things wrong with this. Whatever the first date on your tour is , that same night your album is gonna be on the Internet. Then without it being available pretty much ANYWHERE like you said , people are gonna flock to downloading it because 1.) They might not feel like paying for a show to get your album 2.) They might not be close enough to go to any of your show dates 3.) They're gonna get impatient having to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for your show in order to get a copy of the album.

Then on top of that you're gonna hurt your show sales too because thinking that people would be more attracted to coming to a show for an album they're mostly unfamiliar with rather than an album they've been bangin in their whip, home, headphones for at least a month or two is also a very illogical way of thinking.

Hypothetically, lets try to apply this model to the hugest hip hop tour in recent memory, the "Watch the Throne Tour" had like 34-38 dates in the U.S. which came out to 652,000 tickets sold. Even if your tour was somehow THAT huge, you're gonna limit yourself to 652,000 albums in the U.S. ?? That's a.ssuming everybody who comes buys a copy if you make it optional instead of mandatory with the ticket purchase. Acts who usually sell that many tickets can usually push anywhere from 1 to 3 million albums through retail/online sales. Shyt would make no sense from any angle to limit the album sales to that method.

If you want to make it mandatory with the ticket purchase like Madonna, Prince and other huge acts have done ALONG with making it available everywhere else , then that's one thing, but this whole "my album is only available for purchase at my show" is just retarded.
 5 years ago '12        #40
iBoxden 27 heat pts27
space
space
$2,895 | Props total: 233 233
 psylence2k said:

I'm sorry but this is just retarded, there's just so many things wrong with this. Whatever the first date on your tour is , that same night your album is gonna be on the Internet. Then without it being available pretty much ANYWHERE like you said , people are gonna flock to downloading it because 1.) They might not feel like paying for a show to get your album 2.) They might not be close enough to go to any of your show dates 3.) They're gonna get impatient having to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for your show in order to get a copy of the album.

Then on top of that you're gonna hurt your show sales too because thinking that people would be more attracted to coming to a show for an album they're mostly unfamiliar with rather than an album they've been bangin in their whip, home, headphones for at least a month or two is also a very illogical way of thinking.

Hypothetically, lets try to apply this model to the hugest hip hop tour in recent memory, the "Watch the Throne Tour" had like 34-38 dates in the U.S. which came out to 652,000 tickets sold. Even if your tour was somehow THAT huge, you're gonna limit yourself to 652,000 albums in the U.S. ?? That's a.ssuming everybody who comes buys a copy if you make it optional instead of mandatory with the ticket purchase. Acts who usually sell that many tickets can usually push anywhere from 1 to 3 million albums through retail/online sales. Shyt would make no sense from any angle to limit the album sales to that method.

If you want to make it mandatory with the ticket purchase like Madonna, Prince and other huge acts have done ALONG with making it available everywhere else , then that's one thing, but this whole "my album is only available for purchase at my show" is just retarded.

Do ya math my dude. say an artist like hov get's $7.50 per record. he sales 652,000 units in the states first week that comes out to be $4.9Mil first week pocket money for him. As a huge hov fan he's not doing 2 in the states no more because of how easy it is to get free music these days. so at the most he sales 1.5mil units in the states total after a few months. That's $11,250,000 pocketed from album sales. that's great. But sale 652,000 tickets in the states at $100 a ticket. not including the package joints they have. That's $65,200,000 in the states alone. after taxes are taken out you still comfortable with keeping your album sales?. now factor in the same amount of ticket sold at $100 on a 38 days tour throughout the rest of the world.

Now add that number up with the one i said before. -
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith passes Kobe for 12th all-time in 3 pointers made
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
5 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact and familie..
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
68 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy