The Rise And Fall Of Jodeci

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
149 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
84 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
94 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
142 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
7246 pageviews
22 comments

LBoogie2122 20 heat pts20
space
space
$5,658 | Props total: 2255 2255
The Rise And Fall Of Jodeci

[pic - click to view]

At 16, Donald DeGrate aka Devante Swing was so determined to be a singer/songwriter/producer in the music industry that he traveled alone to Minneapolis, determined to work for Prince's organization but he was refused. He returned to Charlotte, N.C. with his spirits down until he and his brother Dalvin met the Hailey brothers.

Both sets of brothers came from a Pentecostal background. The Haileys and DeGrates originally performed and recorded independently released gospel albums separately during the late-1980s, and eventually met each other through their girlfriends. However, it turned out that Dalvin DeGrate was dating K-Ci Hailey's girlfriend. The Hailey brothers and DeVante eventually became friends and discussed possibly recording songs together.

Eventually, hip hop artist and record producer Heavy D heard one of the tapes and loved it. He talked Uptown Records CEO Andre Harrell into listening to the tape, who was impressed enough to sign the group.
The group was a.ssigned to Uptown executive Sean "Puffy" Combs, who took on the task of developing the new act. He helped the group create its rough hip-hop-based image, reminiscent of that of Teddy Riley's group Guy.

From there, the group racked up gold and platinum albums for the next several years. Their only competition was "Boyz II Men," who outsold them.

Around this time, Jodeci signed a management contract with Suge Knight and "death Row" records. To sweeten the deal, Knight presented Devante with a $250,000 Lamborghini sports car.

Life was good and Devante was living out his dream, producing hits for Jodeci, Tupac and Al Green.

In 1993, things began to fall apart. A woman filed a s3xual harassment lawsuit against K-Ci and DeVante. She had met K-Ci at a nightclub, and went home with him, where allegedly DeVante pointed a gun at her while K-Ci fondled her brea$ts.

In 1994, DeVante was robbed of over $160,000 in jewelry, clothes, and other items in a home invasion at gunpoint.

Around this time, Devante's behavior and appearance changed, he started missing performances and rumors of drug use became persistent. At a awards show, he appeared on stage with a sword an during a appearance at the "Hard Rock Cafe," in Las Vegas, he jumped on stage and started talking incoherently. Despite being the best looking group member, during this time, Devante appeared unrecognizable.

Soon, rumors of bankruptcy began to surface as Devante stayed in seclusion, similar to Sly Stone. It was also rumored that he lost possession of his fleet of luxury automobiles.

For all of their success, "The Show, The After Party, The Hotel" proved to be the last album the group would release.

In a March 2006 interview with DJ Trevor Nelson, Jodeci spoke of a comeback album, as well as a look into the past and future of the famous band but to this day it hasn't been released.

Despite all of Jodeci's album's selling platinum and multi-platinum which is an impressive feat in the music industry, this group still can't reunite to do a reunion tour our a album-where good money could be made and none of the brothers are currently signed with a major label despite their past accomplishments. Normally, when a large sum of money is at stake by during a reunion tour or recording a new album, people usually put aside their differences to make the money but not Jodeci. I wonder why? I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

22 comments for "The Rise And Fall Of Jodeci"

5 years ago '07        #2
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 194 194
Devonte will forever get props for producing classics and discovering Timbo, Static, Missy, Magoo, and Ginuwine
Some Bassment produced tracks...

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Playa; 03-04-2013 at 04:40 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #3
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
Good read...
 5 years ago '10        #4
ARosary 47 heat pts47
space
space
$9,778 | Props total: 2870 2870
I dont think some understand the demographics Jodeci touched (sh*t I was a kid & didnt back then). They had the streets, ladies, industry & everything on lock....a universal sound of soul that could resonate with anyone. It’s a shame how some graft their own demons to eventually their demise.
 5 years ago '11        #6
Radio Raheem 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,186 | Props total: 480 480
where the fu*k is devante swing at now
 5 years ago '05        #7
Gremlin 1095 heat pts1095
space
space
$9,869 | Props total: 4767 4767
This sh*t tho...
This sh*t right here...

[video - click to view]

fu*king sickness....

and Kurupt went in

"I told the bi*ch I'd cry for you, I'd die for you, I lied to you
But getting the pus*y is all I tried to do"

It's me Kurupt bi*ch, and I'm a rider, I'll ride ya
Roll up beside ya, serve ya d!ck like an appetizer
Tasty as fu*k -- ya know ya wanna fu*k me
bi*ch, my name's Kurupt

I told ya, see gotcha ya Feenin like Jodeci
It's Dat n*gga Daz, bi*ch did ya notice me?
Yeah, see we out with tha crew, when we chillin in the back bi*ch
So what ya wanna do?? (Whatcha wanna do?)

{I wanna fu*k him,
I wanna fu*k him,
And I wanna fu*k you.}

So what's your name? Devante Swing...
And that's K-Ci, and that's my brother Dalvin...
And that's Jo-Jo, so, whats happenin???
Anything can happen from the way these hoes is acting
I see it like a picture, It's all up in my mind,
See all I see is a.ss, and me hittin it from behind
(I wanna uhhhh--ahhhh) Pumpin like the old days.
bi*ch ya got your hooks in me just like the O'Jay
 5 years ago '11        #8
xo xo xo 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$5,426 | Props total: 427 427
Yes they did have everything on lock. I love Jodeci and I still listen to them till this day. They had classics after classics.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '08        #9
V.R. Nabor 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,148 | Props total: 3046 3046
Forever My Lady is a classic
 5 years ago '04        #10
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$4,213 | Props total: 1039 1039
If u give n*ggaz money what r they to do but fu*k it all up?
 5 years ago '05        #11
classicgstyle 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,029 | Props total: 7 7
jodeci one of the greated of all time
dairy of a mad band is one of my favorite albums ever
 5 years ago '07        #12
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,836 | Props total: 194 194

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #13
jmoney 59 heat pts59
space
space
$775 | Props total: 373 373
Da Bassment - "Demo Tape" (Timbaland, Static Major, Ginuwine, Missy Elliott & More)

5 years ago '11        #14
virus21 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$443 | Props total: 132 132
my favorite r&b group if they ever reunite and go on tour I'm copping some tickets
 5 years ago '07        #15
240ka 49 heat pts49
space
space
$22,344 | Props total: 2061 2061
 Radio Raheem said:
where the fu*k is devante swing at now
on drugs, atleast he was on that show K&J had a coupe years ago

But I remember hunching(dry humping) a lot of pus*y back in the day to Jodeci
 5 years ago '11        #16
darealvelle 96 heat pts96
space
space
$7,879 | Props total: 4475 4475
Top 90's r&b group
 5 years ago '12        #17
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22144 22144
Lovely thread
 5 years ago '11        #18
MoneyChasnMason 24 heat pts24
space
space
$1,913 | Props total: 41 41
the good ole days where r&b singers sang real SOUL/LOVE music and didnt look like f*gs
 5 years ago '12        #19
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,033 | Props total: 17222 17222
 ARosary said:
I dont think some understand the demographics Jodeci touched (sh*t I was a kid & didnt back then). They had the streets, ladies, industry & everything on lock....a universal sound of soul that could resonate with anyone. Itís a shame how some graft their own demons to eventually their demise.
Word....their success also opened the doors for a lot of people.

Puff once said about 85% of the money he used to start Bad Boy and sign Craig Mack/Biggie/Faith came from checks he got off Jodeci

Puff, K Ci and Devante pretty much put together Mary J Blige(And of course her issues with them n*ggas and their drugs ended up being all her material she would sing about lol)

If Devante ain't do the sh*t he did we prolly wouldn't have Timbaland, Missy, Aaliyah, Ginuwine, and Statik Major.....

So many major albums/songs/projects and accomplishments happened because of the work they did first.
 5 years ago '12        #20
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,033 | Props total: 17222 17222
Found a picture of Devante now on his twitter this n*gga looks hilarious

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
153 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
96 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
50 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy