Feb 18 - American Retail Store Era Coming To An End, Look How Many Stores Closing.

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #21
Rebirth46 59 heat pts59
space
space
$3,997 | Props total: 982 982
"It gets dangerous money and power is changing us and now we lethal infected with D'evils"
 5 years ago '04        #22
Djkommish6 
space
space
$2,973 | Props total: 66 66
radioshack always has major deals...I just got a 16 gig extreme sd card for 22 bucks...they usually sell it for 80 hahahaha come up...YES I KNOW i can get it that price on amazon every day its just cool to walk in and out of the store #instantgratification aha
 5 years ago '09        #23
mrderrick3421 68 heat pts68
space
space
$365 | Props total: 1426 1426
 Andrefrbk said:
I guess i got time to rant a bit more on this fu*k it.

Yo anyone noticed you go to a big name retail supermarket right... What do you see at check outs now.

YOU DONT EVEN SEE PEOPLE WORKING. Now its like 1-2 cashiers, and 3-4 self checkout lines. The sad shiit is people actually prefer self checkout because they can ring the shiit up quick. I never use that fukery, id be supporting it which i never will.

I went to best buy the other day to buy some duster air, i couldnt even find help. I used to work for bb i never seen it that bad. And i worked there during the crash of 2008!!

New latest trends sweeping across America, MALLS CLOSING, SHUTTING DOWN FOR GOOD. You see all these big malls with stores shutting down, and forcing them to figure out a plan to wrap it up.

Malls were the future we thought 50 years ago, so we kept building them bigger and bigger. Now look, no one goes to malls. Malls are such an inefficient way to shop now.

The system is collapsing before our eyes, manufacturing is gone, retail is going, online retail is down but picking up because of offline retail failing. People dont have the purchasing power to keep these stores going.

If retail goes what do we have left for young people? Non professionals, those who are displaced because of not being able to find a job in their field? Hmm.
 02-19-2013, 05:26 AM         #24
Ni2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Andrefrbk said:

Yo anyone noticed you go to a big name retail supermarket right... What do you see at check outs now.

YOU DONT EVEN SEE PEOPLE WORKING. Now its like 1-2 cashiers, and 3-4 self checkout lines. The sad shiit is people actually prefer self checkout because they can ring the shiit up quick. I never use that fukery, id be supporting it which i never will.

I went to best buy the other day to buy some duster air, i couldnt even find help. I used to work for bb i never seen it that bad. And i worked there during the crash of 2008!!

New latest trends sweeping across America, MALLS CLOSING, SHUTTING DOWN FOR GOOD. You see all these big malls with stores shutting down, and forcing them to figure out a plan to wrap it up.

Malls were the future we thought 50 years ago, so we kept building them bigger and bigger. Now look, no one goes to malls. Malls are such an inefficient way to shop now.

The system is collapsing before our eyes, manufacturing is gone, retail is going, online retail is down but picking up because of offline retail failing. People dont have the purchasing power to keep these stores going.

If retail goes what do we have left for young people? Non professionals, those who are displaced because of not being able to find a job in their field? Hmm.

its a bad time to live in i guess economically but the collapse of these giants is probably a good thing. like you say, you dont even see people working the registers anymore. fu*k these companies. bc soon as they arent making a billion they move out of town. can you believe people stand outside in the cold helping themselves at redboxes. blockbuster came in crushed family owned video shops. they lost a few dollars, dont try to make it, just leave. then redbox comes in and now you circumvented every human being. when they lose out on a few dollars there will be nothing. hopefully all this creates a gap for family owned businesses. people have to stop trying to save 2 dollars at places like walmart. all the money from all the local economies goes into one bank account they dont put nothing back into it. then leave you in the cold.
 5 years ago '11        #25
bd2eazy 37 heat pts37
space
space
$5,138 | Props total: 155 155
i wish they said fu*k malls and bring back big manufacturing.

a country thats being creative, making sh*t >>>>> a country that just sells sh*t other countries make.
 5 years ago '10        #26
rek0nize 66 heat pts66
space
space
$9,238 | Props total: 1285 1285
Whoever buys their electronics from RADIO SHACK deserves to be shot in the first place. That place is embarrassing to society.
 5 years ago '04        #27
WHAT_THE_ 
space
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 2 2
Mixed feelings I suppose....I feel bad people are losing their jobs but:

1. Who looks at retail as a viable job anyway? The pay is absolutely terrible. Can't support a family on it.
2. As other have posted - you don't see people working there now anyway. Lines long as fu*k.
3. Stores/Companies got greedy and/or stupid and over-expanded to begin with, this is just a correction.
4. Evolution - adapt and survive. You don't force inefficient and ineffective things to stick around just for the sake of those unwilling or unable to adapt to the times at the expense of the whole populace moving forward. This could very well be a good sign of things moving back to innovation in this country.
5. There will always be retail stores, placing an item in a person's hand is one of the basic tenets of sales game. We just won't have as many - do we really need a starbucks on every block?
 5 years ago '04        #28
SpittN4Cash 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,388 | Props total: 592 592
*SHOCK* thread title

It's not the "end of an era", retail is just evolving..and it's not just an "American issue" it's a global issue. The global economy is changing. Technically the economy is improving - those companies that are performing well are doing really good, while the companies that are performing poor are doing really bad. It's like a Darwinian economy - only the strong will survive.

These 8 companies are failing because they are using an outdated business model...CEO's are looking for higher revenue and profits, without giving any increased value to the consumer. They need to get with the times. People are looking for convenience, speed and affordability...hence e-commerce.

"OH NOOO!! The high school graduates wont have any retail jobs! What will they do??" ... well I guess they'll have to go to college..become an entrepreneur, or inventor..or find another hustle. And retail is only one sector of the economy..there is still food services, hospitality, auto services, transportation services, installation and repair services, and the left-overs from retail.
 5 years ago '05        #29
monrowe 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,020 | Props total: 537 537
Other than Sears and penny i can understand the rest closing stores places like radio Shack and best buy and games top gett torched by people being able to find better quality self service and better product at a fraction of the price.. Best buy can eat a d!ck all these workers with no knowledge of telling you sh*t thats not true.... Game stop eat a d!ck for overpriced games while they only give you half the price or less for the game..

Alot of these closing are based on the change in how people shop than it is financial blowback. And there has always been open registers at stores... More people standing around than working anyway.
 5 years ago '04        #30
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,404 | Props total: 678 678
Nobody is wasting gas money and paying a premium on products in a store when you can get the same product for 25% cheaper on Amazon or Ebay and have it delivered to your doorstep.... People in retail stores never have any valuable information or help.... Its a changing market
 5 years ago '04        #31
albemarle 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,141 | Props total: 444 444
Radio shack needs to upgrade their image. I went in our local store and they srill got a Tandy 8086 in the window for sale.
 5 years ago '08        #32
Nut-In-Honeys 10 heat pts10
space
space
$6,025 | Props total: 5810 5810
 bd2eazy said:
i wish they said fu*k malls and bring back big manufacturing.

a country thats being creative, making sh*t >>>>> a country that just sells sh*t other countries make.
Its a damn shame this country doesn't make products like it used to
 5 years ago '04        #33
Confidance 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,776 | Props total: 144 144
 WhoThaFuk said:
I haven't bought anything from Best buy in 6 years. I stopped shopping in stores in general around 4 years ago. I have a busy schedule during the day so I don't have the time to travel from place to place especially when everything is available from my laptop or tablet. I'm looking into doing my food shopping online too.
Glad you posted this, because this fits my point perfectly.

This economy is p!ss right now because of the speed rush of technology release. Everyone has to have the biggest, best, and fastest, so retailers, manufacturers, and developers rush that stuff to shelves at a loss to their own pockets.

The problem here is, that's the reason no one buys the crap... Too much stuff, too little time.

Videogames are the perfect example, there were years and years and years between technological advances with the older systems, but not today, f* that, a new system is dropping at least once every two years. If not a system then a system add-on (Kinect, Move) that is necessary to advance into some new aspect. Now we are looking at new systems that (based on rumors) require the internet to even power on (in which the internet used to be a luxury...... remember having to hustle to get dial-up).

The concept of the quickest, most efficient device is making the economy lazy as fu*k and I for one hates it. You can do everything with a tiny device when back then you had to get up and get it yourself either around the home or go places, now you can buy food by touching your phone....... disgusting!

The reason we are screwed is because of we, no one else. And the retailers are too afraid to lose sales to tell you that

In 2000, folks went to the theaters, arcade, mall, grocery store, church, the park, etc to get all and do all.

Now, go to your bedroom, log-on, and do all of that within moments and a few clicks of a button. (and maybe gain a few pounds in the process)
 5 years ago '12        #34
Cubs Draco 141 heat pts141
space
space
$16,303 | Props total: 3982 3982
i don't even remember the last time I've been to a store and bought something besides groceries.
 5 years ago '07        #35
Eddie..|M 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$18,069 | Props total: 1515 1515
I seriously doubt jc penny and best buy are struggling
 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM         #36
Skratch 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think n*ggas is overeacting
 5 years ago '04        #37
Confidance 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,776 | Props total: 144 144
 Eddie.. said:
I seriously doubt jc penny and best buy are struggling
Allz I can say.... Go into one. Security isn't even tight anymore, gamers don't run the gaming department anymore, they are required to run customer service and other stuff so they can reduce staff.

Its bad at Best Buy right now, the discounts aren't the same, sales for customers aren't, everything is watered down from last year even
 5 years ago '05        #38
autoraptronix 11 heat pts11
space
space
$4,521 | Props total: 279 279
 Andrefrbk said:
SMFH, stack food because of hyper inflation and devalue currency.

Are you a fu*king moron?

Have you been to the supermarket lately? Do you even buy your own food or does your mommy do it for you?

Hey man get the fuking c*m out your eyes maybe you will see better, stop standing infront of govts officials c*cks.

Have you noticed how food production is affected by our weather? Have you noticed how food prices have gone up production down?

[pic - click to view]

Low food production in some areas + low wages... Hmmm ever heard of inflation?

[pic - click to view]

)

Hey man you better start using your head and think for yourself. Stop listening to what the majority tells you. That kind of thinking will get you k!lled, see the titanic for reference.

Edit.

Yo bro run your fat a.ss to the store really quick, tell me the price of milk now, tell me how much it was 5 years ago.
Weak response.

Nothing but hominem attacks and some charts showing what every already knows. Prices go up and buying power goes down over time. So what?

Nothing you posted points to any crisis to justify your retarded fearmongering. You can't even be creative and make up a reason why people should horde food. Its nothing but fearmongering. In fact the economy's improving and the job market's getting better.

Most of these sites and people pushing doom collapse conspiracy theories are trying to profit off scared people throwing their money into gold and silver. Its always just 6 months to a year out, and it never happens. They just want you to buy so they can cash out.

If someone is using small news stories to constantly push fear and uncertainy to get people to buy gold and dump currencies, they're trying to manipulate you.

Gold prices are affected by a few different factors. Some of the common factors are tough economic times and future uncertainty; but who would have thought conspiracy theory websites could even have an effect? Well it’s true; theories of doom also raise the price of gold.

You’re probably thinking a few different questions like, well how does the effect work and what kind of theories fuel the fire? Well first I will have to explain to you the various theories that conspiracy theorist use that help push the gold market. Some conspiracy theorists think we are going to face an economic Armageddon where civil chaos and poverty will rule. They feel that stocking up on essentials such as food and gold will keep their families safe. They write about their theories on popular websites and convince others to do the same as them. On the show ‘Dooms Day Preppers’ on the National Geographic Channel one woman who theorized this would happen in the not too distant future stocked up on ‘junk’ precious metals. This was a way to have small pieces of gold for trading and it was much more cost effective than buying big pieces of bullion.

Some other theories include a global catastrophe happening that would k!ll a large portion of the population, leaving destruction in its path. Since precious metals are not paper money and real tangible money; they feel that it would be the only currency for trading. The different global catastrophes they use are Planet X, global warming, comets, World War III, Nibiru, Sun spots, ice ages, 2012 and more. When Earthquakes, tornados and other natural disasters happen they hype up their talk on their said global catastrophe and people spend more on tangible gold. They often buy actual bullion and store it in various places.

Sometimes conspiracy websites are home to real life whistle blowers. An example would be before a big bank announces bankruptcy; a whistle blower may log onto the website and warn others before it happens. People who heed their warnings may take money out of said bank and invest it in gold. They know that the bank going bankrupt will affect the markets and their savings account. Gold is usually a safe alternative investing strategies in these situations.

The reason conspiracy websites work to effect prices on gold is that when everything else is failing, gold is always rising. Naturally if the markets or currency go down, the prices of gold go up. Precious metals are the oldest known currency to man. In this time of global economic unrest, gold prices are at an all time high. This means your jewelry is worth more than it has ever been. If you have a lot of gold pieces, now may be the time to cash it in and insure you are getting the most for your gold.

[pic - click to view]

02-19-2013, 01:16 PM         #39
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Andrefrbk said:

"Seasoned Economists" have said we were poised for an economic collapse since the start of Obama's first term. I'm tired of people who see a few retail stores closing talking about THIS IS THE SENSATIONALIST END I WAS SECRETLY HOPING FOR!!! FEMA CAMPS ARE NEXT!!!

Stop it.

You talk about this being the "The End of Retail" Look at GameStop, 500 stores out of 4,000?! Sounds like they're shutting down underperforming stores that are collecting dust in shopping malls. That's corporate strategy for you. GameStop JUST opened a Market street store in San Francisco that is hopelessly busy. Stack your money though!

Best Buy is suffering from the same problem most electronics retailers are dealing with, cheaper prices online, property taxes rising, operating costs rising, it makes very little sense to operate a brick and mortar space when you're losing money and foot traffic.

What about fashion retailers like H&M, Zara and Uniqlo who have recently opened retail stores in this country? What about GOOGLE making retail stores later this year.

Retail will never go away, spend a weekend near an Apple store and you'll see that. It's all about adapting and it's all about creating a unique experience and product for this century or being timeless enough that people keep coming back, which is why there are two coach store in San Francisco within two blocks of each other.

Stop pushing for the end of this system. I never worked retail or fast food a day in my life, people will find a way to adapt. Grow some balls and get a fu*king job. And THIS is from one of the most liberal people on BX.
 5 years ago '10        #40
WalmartRollback 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,959 | Props total: 109 109
 FoShizzle8 said:

[pic - click to view]

no suprise here

oh and as far as this economic collapse goes.i wouldnt be to concerned,remember the mayan calender and y2k? ya,people freaking out over nothing
How is the president at fault you fu*king idiot?

It's called technology.... As time change, the need for these retailers are irrelevant. Amazon is one of the biggest retailers that surpasses most of the stuff mentioned on that list. I can one person be so stupid..

614FACE said:
obama this, obama that...

yall give him too much credit. obama dont run sh*t like people would like to think. dude is nothing more than a face. some of yall act like he sits up in the white house, develops and approves this sh*t by himself with no one to answer to. alot sh*t that yall find him guilty of was in motion way before he was president. some of yall need to do some homework bfore pointing the finger and joining the bandwagon.

they're all liars, crooks, k!llers and thieves and the ones who werent were not around long. this is not news.
You can't tell these fu*king idiots anything... A simple political science class would tell them exactly what you said. The president hardly has any power in the grand scheme of things. There is something called checks and balance for a reason.

I have no idea why people attempt to talk politics on here and know nothing about how things work.

Last edited by WalmartRollback; 02-19-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Home         

most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
BOX Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux - December 9?
1400 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago