The IRS Just Sent Me $160,000. Can I Keep It?

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
101 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #1
8491 pageviews
92 comments

aju8483 21 heat pts21
space
space
$188 | Props total: 1 1

We've probably all had the experience where a store cashier accidentally hands over too much in change, and we kindly point out the error and decline the windfall. We're basically forgoing "free" money, but we feel good about doing the right thing and perhaps saving the cashier from later being personally penalized for the error. But what if it were the faceless and evil-ish U.S. Internal Revenue Service that made the mistake? What would our instincts tell us to do then?
I recently received a letter from the IRS alerting me that it had made changes to my 2011 tax calculation. I've received such notices in past years. They usually affirm that, upon further evaluation, the IRS has concluded that I've underpaid my taxes by a few hundred dollars, and I obediently write a check for the required amount.

In this case, however, the change was in my favor. Significantly. A check just arrived from the U.S. Treasury, for $161,392.00.

Now What?
Not sure if this is a repost if is is sorryimage.
Wild a.ss situation ha!

Original Story from LifeHacker:
[pic - click to view]

92 comments for "The IRS Just Sent Me $160,000. Can I Keep It?"

5 years ago '04        #2
youngd 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$3,286 | Props total: 1085 1085
i would have kept it and never filed taxes again
 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM         #3
Throbbin' Thicke 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 youngd said:
i would have kept it and never filed taxes again
Yea great idea

I would contact the IRS and review my return with them. Its not that I'm super honest and willingly want to give money back. Its the fact that when they realize they made a mistake they are going to come for that money and they dont want to hear any excuses. I'd rather them take that money back then garnish my wages or send me to prison down the line
 5 years ago '09        #4
Spiffy 34 heat pts34
space
space
$20,051 | Props total: 26 26
2 things in life you can't avoid, death & the IRS
 5 years ago '06        #5
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,238 | Props total: 5042 5042
irs will freeze your accounts and get that sh*t back 1 way or another

id consider keeping some money thats put in my bank account before i would mess with the irs but I couldn't see myself doing any of the 2

id just let them know
 5 years ago '05        #6
TheChief 23 heat pts23
space
space
$6,191 | Props total: 9387 9387
cash out and move to mexico
 5 years ago '04        #7
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
The IRS will come looking for that money eventually. They are prone to making the initial mistake, but one thing they don't fu*k around with when trying to identify that mistake is figuring out what happened. They will pin your a.ss to the wall once they figure it out and see that you kept the money and didn't try to get the error corrected (whether you spent the money or not).
 5 years ago '05        #8
Jazzy Soul 27 heat pts27
space
space
$14,162 | Props total: 10 10
Invest it or flip it. By the time they get back to you you'll have their money and some extra.
 5 years ago '05        #9
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,908 | Props total: 21065 21065
They'll get that money back if you keep it, and if you don't have it, you're fu*ked. Keeping that kind of money from the IRS when you rightfully know it was an error isn't exactly legal.
 5 years ago '06        #10
nightmare 429 heat pts429
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
 Kooper said:
IRS setting up thirst traps

n*gga would be working 72 hour weeks for $64.11 checks for the remainder of his natural life
 5 years ago '12        #11
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,474 | Props total: 13011 13011
Nah. whoever got that needs to turn that sh*t back in. There's a good chance they'll find it. Like that other guy said, they gonna come full force soon as they know they made a mistake. Sometimes i actually think the IRS set traps on random people and try to entice them to keep the money. Just turn the money back in. People claim anything nowdays anyway. I know people who actually got their pets legal social security numbers and claim them on their taxes.
 5 years ago '06        #12
Beantown Bully 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,159 | Props total: 1 1
 Jazzy Soul said:
Invest it or flip it. By the time they get back to you you'll have their money and some extra.
Exactly what I was going to say
 5 years ago '04        #13
J.BEEZY 10 heat pts10
space
space
$8,325 | Props total: 2476 2476
put it all on black or cop a house and have em take it out my check forever
 5 years ago '04        #14
J.BEEZY 10 heat pts10
space
space
$8,325 | Props total: 2476 2476
 daman729 said:
Nah. whoever got that needs to turn that sh*t back in. There's a good chance they'll find it. Like that other guy said, they gonna come full force soon as they know they made a mistake. Sometimes i actually think the IRS set traps on random people and try to entice them to keep the money. Just turn the money back in. People claim anything nowdays anyway. I know people who actually got their pets legal social security numbers and claim them on their taxes.
 5 years ago '13        #15
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
Put it over seas in a swiss bank account or in the walls of your crib

But seriously, them mother fu*kers at the irs will hunt you down like tom did jerry or pimps do hoes. Just give them the cash and be honest about it.
 5 years ago '05        #16
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,908 | Props total: 21065 21065
 daman729 said:
LEGAL social security numbers for their pets?
 5 years ago '10        #17
RedLight 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,406 | Props total: 2348 2348
Ya seriously think ya can outsmart the IRS? lol

If i know it was a mistake i would give that sh*t back in a heartbeat, no one with more than half a brain will keep IRS money, you'll be stupid if you do.
 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM         #18
Ednyce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
id keep that sh*t and not say anything, but dont spend it just yet cause im sure theyll be contacting you shortly. and if you do spend it your gonna be on the hook for that sh*t.
 5 years ago '11        #19
wjcorner 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,804 | Props total: 2668 2668
 Krazie said:
I don't know about social securities but you can claim your pets if you breed them, or they're working animals(herders, security, etc.) they have to be professionally trained though
 5 years ago '12        #20
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,474 | Props total: 13011 13011
 Krazie said:
Yep Its true.
I've never done that sh*t but I know people who pulled strings and legally got there dogs SS numbers. Don't even know how they did it. Then they claimed them on the taxes and got an extra $400-$600. There are dog tags that have a 9 digit number on them and people count it as a SS number.
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
81 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
83 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
85 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
95 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Hugh Jackman Clarifies Disney-Fox Merger & Wolverine Joining the Avenge..
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy