Microsoft chose not to buy Sega because it didn't have the 'muscle'

most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
26 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
177 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
41 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
132 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #41
Tha754kid 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,902 | Props total: 833 833
 Jesszman said:
And they bought Rare so they could run it into the ground.
They technically didn't run it into the ground. Most of the original RARE team left after the takeover, kinda like how all those Infinity Ward members left when Activision took over. All Microsoft gained was the Rare name lol.
 5 years ago '11        #42
Xyrax 
space
space
$2,396 | Props total: 2456 2456
 Tha754kid said:
They technically didn't run it into the ground. Most of the original RARE team left after the takeover, kinda like how all those Infinity Ward members left when Activision took over. All Microsoft gained was the Rare name lol.
I had heard about that, with the Stamper Brothers and Free Radical, but having it confirmed explains a lot.

Its still a shame though. Oh well.
 5 years ago '06        #43
Prince Ace 35 heat pts35
space
space
$15,720 | Props total: 8903 8903
 Ra-da-god said:
sure you can go back in play them now but its not going to give you that same feeling that we had when the sh*t first came out its like me going back to watch the first star wars I like it cause I like star wars but I cant appreciate the way n*ggas that were around for it's debut could when it first came out my pops said it was the single most amazing thing he'd seen far as technology in a movie....

I had k!ller instinct on snes and before that I used to catch the bus to the arcade and blow my allowance on that game...

Donkey kong country, k!ller instinct, Golden Eye, Konkers bad fur day, Banjo kazooie, diddy kong racing, perfect Dark....

I have memories with these games I remember when Rare was at the top of their game and in my eyes they could do no wrong......

so again STFU with the trolling sh*t take that bullsh*t to gamefaqs.com or sohh and
you sir are a gentleman and a scholar
 5 years ago '08        #44
lookin$pac 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,160 | Props total: 100 100
whats that game in the screencap for this thread
 5 years ago '09        #45
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,392 | Props total: 5096 5096
 lookin$pac said:
whats that game in the screencap for this thread
Crazy Taxi

its the reason i came in here...use to play it all the time

Last edited by Axl Rose; 02-10-2013 at 12:02 AM..
 5 years ago '06        #46
9.18 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,676 | Props total: 656 656
 One-O-One said:
I agree, but only if they actually do something with the franchises instead of what they did with RARE. Sega is gold mine when it comes to viable franchises, they just need the talent to reboot these games. If I was a billionaire and wanted to bury Sony & Nintendo's consoles, I'd buy up Sega game rights.

From 1988 to I'd say 2000 was probably the best time period in videogame history.

If you was too young during that glorious moment in time, then you missed it.

It was more fun, more social, more surprises, more competitive. You was actually putting money on the line @ Arcades, so you were forced to be good at the game. None of that XboxLive/PSN racism trash talk because the possibility of an a.ss kicking was real.

The myth and discovery of Reptile in MK1 and Akuma in SSF2T cannot be duplicated ever again in videogames. Those were true videogame mysteries u couldn't just google the answer to back then.

PS2 is one of the greatest systems ever, but that system also marks when arcades died & when the gaming community changed for the better and for the worse.

5 years ago '10        #47
sm0kex 
space
space
$340 | Props total: 14 14
Segaaaaaaaaaa!
 5 years ago '05        #48
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1401 1401
good fu*king times back in the day
[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '07        #49
jhj26 51 heat pts51
space
space
$15,676 | Props total: 1337 1337
 Shakezula714 said:
loved the dreamcast, imho it was the last true gaming console...prob my fav console next to snes and n64

jet grind radio
ikaruga
samba de amigo
power stone
house of the dead
crazy taxi
soul caliber
the f!ghting games stf, mvc, snk
skies of arcadia
grandia ii
ooga booga
fur f!ghters
mdk 2
rayman 2
sonic 1 and 2
phantasy star online
nfl 2k and nba
hydro thunder

long live 9.9.99...saturns rep left a bad taste and ppl didn't trust sega...ea games didn't back up dreamcast either fu*kem ...ps2 outlasted the dreamcast cuz of its previous success of the ps1 and saturns lack of success even tho it was a great f!ghting console

I liked some of the rare games that were made after nintendo...keep in mind some of the people that made rare what it was left...
ps2 didn't outlast the dreamcast! As soon as the ps2 was released, it r*ped and murdered the dreamcast! the sh*t was a 1st round KO.
 5 years ago '04        #50
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8912 8912
 jhj26 said:
ps2 didn't outlast the dreamcast! As soon as the ps2 was released, it r*ped and murdered the dreamcast! the sh*t was a 1st round KO.
Sega k!lled themselves. Dreamcast would have survived if it wasn't so easy to bootleg their games and if they dropped a few more quality 1st party games.

But after ppl figured out how to burn games, Dreamcast was definitely toast.
 5 years ago '08        #51
Kewop Decam 79 heat pts79
space
space
space
$15,974 | Props total: 9739 9739
 One-O-One said:
Sega k!lled themselves. Dreamcast would have survived if it wasn't so easy to bootleg their games and if they dropped a few more quality 1st party games.

But after ppl figured out how to burn games, Dreamcast was definitely toast.
This was part of it, but to me not the major issue. Sega k!lled the Dreamcast themselves when they told EA to fu*k off when EA told them they wanted to run their own servers for stuff.

That's why NFL2K got made. Sega basically said, "no you can't do your own server sh*t and we think we can make a better football game than Madden". THAT k!lled the Dreamcast. You can't have a console without EA published games. It will not last.

If MS or Sony wanted to just murder the console war one of them would buy EA. It would be an instant win because of the sports titles alone.

Also EA runs their own servers for all their games because they do a ridiculous amount of telemetry. When I worked there, the amount of data they record from the player is crazy. We're talking like average time it takes the player to press start at the title screen. It's how they decide what should be worked on and what shouldn't by who is play what and how much. MS and Sony learned from Sega's mistake REAL QUICK.
 5 years ago '04        #52
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8912 8912
 Kewop Decam said:
This was part of it, but to me not the major issue. Sega k!lled the Dreamcast themselves when they told EA to fu*k off when EA told them they wanted to run their own servers for stuff.

That's why NFL2K got made. Sega basically said, "no you can't do your own server sh*t and we think we can make a better football game than Madden". THAT k!lled the Dreamcast. You can't have a console without EA published games. It will not last.

If MS or Sony wanted to just murder the console war one of them would buy EA. It would be an instant win because of the sports titles alone.

Also EA runs their own servers for all their games because they do a ridiculous amount of telemetry. When I worked there, the amount of data they record from the player is crazy. We're talking like average time it takes the player to press start at the title screen. It's how they decide what should be worked on and what shouldn't by who is play what and how much. MS and Sony learned from Sega's mistake REAL QUICK.
That's true also. It was a combination of things that k!lled Sega. But the bottomline is that Sega did themselves in and no one else.

They had the tools to compete with PS2 and N64, they just made poor decisions.
 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM         #53
bongt0ker420 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jesszman said:
Donkey Kong 64 >>>
Donkey Kong Country bi*ch!
 5 years ago '13        #54
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
Crazy Taxi was the sh*t. I love Dream cast so much. I was so young and can still remember playing so many great games for it. Including sonic Adventure,power stone, the first soul caliber and all that. I like the video game s we have today, but they can't touch the games sega was kicking out. Even the first Nba 2k was so ill, maybe live was better but that game was just as good. If microsoft bought sega.....man! Just imagine what could have happened.
 5 years ago '04        #55
Sental 
space
space
$1,955 | Props total: 0 0
If the Dreamcast had a dvd player in it we would be playing dreamcast 3 today
 5 years ago '11        #56
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
 Sental said:
So true.
 5 years ago '13        #57
Guvnor 1122 heat pts1122
space
space
$43,263 | Props total: 12305 12305
 Sental said:
Word! That, and online support with wi-fi,cause it's a little known fact that Dreamcast partnered with at&t back in the day to be the first game system with online capability. They even had a web browser CD that came with them but most people never used it. Especially not me, although I tried to. But I was too little to understand how all that worked. The memories of the past.

[pic - click to view]

Actually I think Saturn used the idea first. Either way, Sega was so innovative.
 5 years ago '05        #58
Emperor85 
space
space
space
$7,865 | Props total: 5660 5660

[pic - click to view]

dreamcast was ahead of its time
 5 years ago '05        #59
Emperor85 
space
space
space
 Sental said:
people were still hiring vhs when dreamcast dropped, dvds werent even that popular and were expensive, plus you could play vcd bootleggs on dreamcast which were cheap
 5 years ago '05        #60
Emperor85 
space
space
space
the dreamcast control sucked
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
86 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
LIL FLIP shows $1,000,000 worth of JEWELRY!!!!!!
90 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
94 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
69 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
56 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
295 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy