Microsoft chose not to buy Sega because it didn't have the 'muscle'

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
117 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
28 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
43 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
62 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #1
6231 pageviews
81 comments

Tiko377 1860 heat pts1860
space
space
$15,186 | Props total: 8924 8924
Microsoft chose not to buy Sega because it didn't have the 'muscle'

Xbox owner once considered buying Sega to help it develop gaming hardware, says former Microsoft executive.

Microsoft once considered purchasing Sega before opting to develop the original Xbox internally, a former executive at the company has said.

"There were three companies at that point in time, I think this was [Sony,] Sega and Nintendo. There was always talk maybe we buy Sega or something like that; that never materialised," said Joachim Kempin, former vice president of Windows Sales at Microsoft, to IGN. "We were actually able to license them what they call Windows CE, the younger brother of Windows, to run on their system and make that their platform [for the Dreamcast]," added Kempin.

Kempin worked at Microsoft for almost 20 years, from 1983 to 2002, and saw Bill Gates resolve to enter the hardware business itself in a bid to take market share away from electronics giant Sony. "[Gates] didn't think that Sega had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing," he said.

Before that, though, there was the idea within Microsoft that the company would purchase Sega in its entirety. "There were some talks but it never materialised because Sega was a very different bird. It was always Sony and Nintendo, right? And Nintendo had some financial trouble at that point in time, so Sony came out with the PlayStation and bang! They took off, and everyone else was left behind."

The original Xbox sold 24 million units before being replaced by its successor, the Xbox 360. Sega's ill-fated Dreamcast, by comparison, sold 10.6 million units in its three-year life span.

[pic - click to view]

Microsoft chose not to buy Sega because it didn't have the 'muscle' - GameSpot.com

81 comments for "Microsoft chose not to buy Sega because it didn't have the 'muscle'"

5 years ago '04        #2
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
I still think M$ should by the rights to sega's gaming franchises

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 02-08-2013 at 10:14 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #3
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
And they bought Rare so they could run it into the ground.
 5 years ago '04        #4
fabolous111 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$309 | Props total: 11 11
 Jesszman said:
I Want k!ller Instinct!!!!!!!!!!
 5 years ago '05        #5
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,868 | Props total: 20842 20842
 Jesszman said:

Probably never even played any of the old Rare games.
 5 years ago '04        #6
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Jesszman said:
STFU! Danai when rare was poppin you were like 5, you dont even know what you are talkin about.....smh
 5 years ago '11        #7
space
space
space
 Ra-da-god said:
STFU! Danai when rare was poppin you were like 5, you dont even know what you are talkin about.....smh
Donkey Kong 64 >>>
 5 years ago '04        #8
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
once again you were like 5 to a kid almost any videogame is >>>>

its like me trying to talk about the bill russel nba era with my pops and criticizing the moves certain teams made lol when MS bought rare you were what? 12? what does your opinion matter?

and I personally think microsoft is doing alot things wrong in the gamer space right now but atleast I can speak of these subject objectively...

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 02-08-2013 at 11:49 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #9
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$20,941 | Props total: 16911 16911
This guy couldnt even spell his own name around the time Rare was popping and he wants to tell us about it?

That troll. Should be shot in his forehead
 5 years ago '11        #10
space
space
space
Guess playing old games impossible these days, my bad
 5 years ago '05        #11
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 ALLEEK said:
This guy couldnt even spell his own name around the time Rare was popping and he wants to tell us about it?

That troll. Should be shot in his forehead
Shooting him in his forehead would be as easy as hitting the broadside of a barn.
 5 years ago '04        #12
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
 Jesszman said:
Guess playing old games impossible these days, my bad
sure you can go back in play them now but its not going to give you that same feeling that we had when the sh*t first came out its like me going back to watch the first star wars I like it cause I like star wars but I cant appreciate the way n*ggas that were around for it's debut could when it first came out my pops said it was the single most amazing thing he'd seen far as technology in a movie....

I had k!ller instinct on snes and before that I used to catch the bus to the arcade and blow my allowance on that game...

Donkey kong country, k!ller instinct, Golden Eye, Konkers bad fur day, Banjo kazooie, diddy kong racing, perfect Dark....

I have memories with these games I remember when Rare was at the top of their game and in my eyes they could do no wrong......

so again STFU with the trolling sh*t take that bullsh*t to gamefaqs.com or sohh and

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 02-09-2013 at 01:23 AM..
 5 years ago '12        #13
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$20,941 | Props total: 16911 16911
 Ra-da-god said:
sure you can go back in play them now but its not going to give you that same feeling that we had when the sh*t first came out its like me going back to watch the first star wars I like it cause I like star wars but I cant appreciate the way n*ggas that were around for it's debut could when it first came out my pops said it was the single most amazing thing he'd seen far as technology in a movie....

I had k!ller instinct on snes and before that I used to catch the bus to the arcade and blow my allowance on that game...

Donkey kong country, k!ller instinct, Golden Eye, Konkers bad fur day, Banjo kazooie, diddy kong racing, perfect Dark....

I have memories with these games I remember when Rare was at the top of their game and in my eyes they could do no wrong......

so again STFU with the trolling sh*t take that bullsh*t to gamefaqs.com or sohh and
My n*gga
 5 years ago '09        #14
WILLIAM 49 heat pts49
space
space
space
$22,611 | Props total: 1780 1780

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #15
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
 Ra-da-god said:

I've never seen someone on a gaming forum that tries to talk so much about sh*t they never experienced. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.
 5 years ago '07        #16
CadillacVyse 943 heat pts943
space
space
$27,629 | Props total: 16719 16719

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '09        #17
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 71 71
 Ra-da-god said:

Perfect post. The Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 arcades are something that comes to mind that if you didn't live the time period, just playing them now doesn't cut it. Having people lined up taking turns to beat wholesale a.ss in all of it's gory glory. I miss that packed arcade feeling. Still remember the first time a muthafu*ka heard FINISH HIM at the arcade. Instant hook.
 5 years ago '08        #18
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,484 | Props total: 17038 17038
Nintendo needs to buy them, they fit better with them than anybody else
 5 years ago '04        #19
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8912 8912
 Ra-da-god said:
I still think M$ should by the rights to sega's gaming franchises
I agree, but only if they actually do something with the franchises instead of what they did with RARE. Sega is gold mine when it comes to viable franchises, they just need the talent to reboot these games. If I was a billionaire and wanted to bury Sony & Nintendo's consoles, I'd buy up Sega game rights.

Acid Rap said:
Perfect post. The Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 arcades are something that comes to mind that if you didn't live the time period, just playing them now doesn't cut it. Having people lined up taking turns to beat wholesale a.ss in all of it's gory glory. I miss that packed arcade feeling. Still remember the first time a muthafu*ka heard FINISH HIM at the arcade. Instant hook.
From 1988 to I'd say 2000 was probably the best time period in videogame history.

If you was too young during that glorious moment in time, then you missed it.

It was more fun, more social, more surprises, more competitive. You was actually putting money on the line @ Arcades, so you were forced to be good at the game. None of that XboxLive/PSN racism trash talk because the possibility of an a.ss kicking was real.

The myth and discovery of Reptile in MK1 and Akuma in SSF2T cannot be duplicated ever again in videogames. Those were true videogame mysteries u couldn't just google the answer to back then.

PS2 is one of the greatest systems ever, but that system also marks when arcades died & when the gaming community changed for the better and for the worse.
 5 years ago '10        #20
Gouki 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,435 | Props total: 268 268
SEGA >>>
omg Sega
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
65 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
102 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
74 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy