These Jobs Will Get You Earning a Six Figure Salary Pretty Quick

most viewed right now
Article inside George Zimmerman threatens to beat hov up over Trayvon Martin documen..
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
54 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #61
influence22 
space
space
space
$519 | Props total: 137 137
 SpittN4Cash said:
Systems analyst is just a "glorified helpdesk" position, with less user interaction/ less phone calls/ less bullsh*t.

I work for as an IT Analyst (Systems Analyst I), I moved up directly from the helpdesk. The only difference between me and systems analyst II or systems analyst III is the amount we make, and system analyst II & III get pagers and are on-call 24/7, while my day ends at 5pm.

Basically all i do is:
  • maintain the intranet portal for our 150+ departments
  • provide a.ssistance with SharePoint site navigation
  • SharePoint site development/implementation
  • take part in IT meetings by preparing reports and documentations
  • work on the change control board
  • process change request forms
  • maintain the ITIL Knowledge base
  • assist with implementing the knowledge base into the IT service manager application
  • work on "projects" individually or with a team
  • Get quotes from vendors and service providers
  • provide feasibility reports, swot analysis, ROI analysis or any other financial analysis
  • be the liaison between the IT department and upper management, helping them understand how investments in IT can support the organizations strategic objectives.

On a typical day I come into the office at 8:30am, Check my voicemail/email for new messages. I check for any change request forms that need to be approved/denied, then make the requested changes. Then I'd look to see if there are any proposed changes to the ITIL knowledge base, then make the requested changes. (On a normal day there are 30-40 requests.)

I'd post any announcements/system outages onto the SharePoint site, and remove old system outage alerts. If needed, I submit an incident ticket/helpdesk ticket for major outages that I cannot fix.

There's usually a meeting once or twice a week...once in a blue moon the schedule is jam packed with meetings, then there will be nothing for a while...then jam packed again..then nothing. It's the same pattern over and over.

I go to lunch around 1pm, come back at 1:30 and spend the rest of the day processing the remaining requests, and browsing facebook or boxden. Then leave around 5pm.

thanks for posting this as many have said there are alot of jobs for ccna / computer people good to read what a day in the life is like

currently working on ccna but need to narrow down what i want to do

Last edited by influence22; 02-03-2013 at 10:23 PM..
 5 years ago '08        #62
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,580 | Props total: 17250 17250
Oil Rig Operators look at that
 5 years ago '08        #63
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,580 | Props total: 17250 17250
 LAZARO said:
That sounds like a dope job it doesn't sound stressful but have a busy day. How did you get the job and do you have a degree or just got certifications?
Here is what they will say.......

Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, MCSE certification, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
 5 years ago '06        #64
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
$29,007 | Props total: 10679 10679
How do you go about getting mcse certificate? Do you need experience or college degree out can you just start taking a course, pass the exam then ur good?
 5 years ago '04        #65
SpittN4Cash 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,392 | Props total: 593 593
 LAZARO said:
That sounds like a dope job it doesn't sound stressful but have a busy day. How did you get the job and do you have a degree or just got certifications?
degree in computer science/ computer information systems/ computer engineering.

I got one semester left before I get my bachelors, but that's overkill, you really only need an a.ssociates.
 5 years ago '04        #66
space
space
 philly337 said:
How do you go about getting mcse certificate? Do you need experience or college degree out can you just start taking a course, pass the exam then ur good?
Without experience it'll be hard to find a job...but you can certainly take a course/read a book then take the test. No previous experience required, just knowledge.

To become a MCSE you would have to pass all of these exams:

Exams on networking systems: All required
  • Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment || Exam 70-290
  • Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure || Exam 70-291
  • Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure || Exam 70-293
  • Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure || Exam 70-294

Plus 6 "elective exams" from this page:

After you pass all 10 exams you will earn the title MCSE.
 5 years ago '06        #67
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 SpittN4Cash said:
Without experience it'll be hard to find a job...but you can certainly take a course/read a book then take the test. No previous experience required, just knowledge.

To become a MCSE you would have to pass all of these exams:

Exams on networking systems: All required
  • Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment || Exam 70-290
  • Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure || Exam 70-291
  • Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure || Exam 70-293
  • Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure || Exam 70-294

Plus 6 "elective exams" from this page:

After you pass all 10 exams you will earn the title MCSE.
yea I've never actually looked into this at all so have no idea about it. But how would I go about getting started? From what I've seen any job asks you have 1-2 years experience but how do you get hired to some sort of HelpDesk if ur not certified yet (and how would you even know what you're doing?). I'm guessing that would be the best way to go to get some basic help desk job while getting ur certs but unless there are jobs that train you how's that possible?

Also do those courses for the mcse teach you everything you need to know from the ground up if you have no knowledge or took any classes on the subject before? Read about A+ and a few others....would you have to take something like that first to learn the basics or is that all involved in mcse and you'll learn the basics through that also?

Last edited by philly337; 02-07-2013 at 10:24 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #68
space
space
 philly337 said:
yea I've never actually looked into this at all so have no idea about it. But how would I go about getting started? From what I've seen any job asks you have 1-2 years experience but how do you get hired to some sort of HelpDesk if ur not certified yet (and how would you even know what you're doing?). I'm guessing that would be the best way to go to get some basic help desk job while getting ur certs but unless there are jobs that train you how's that possible?

Also do those courses for the mcse teach you everything you need to know from the ground up if you have no knowledge or took any classes on the subject before? Read about A+ and a few others....would you have to take something like that first to learn the basics or is that all involved in mcse and you'll learn the basics through that also?
Every job will give you basic training..don't even worry about that. You just need to know windows. And Yes, The 10 courses for the MCSE will teach you all of that and more....that is how you will gain your experience before you get the job. The books will teach you the basics, and what's on the exam..then you just pay $150 for each exam - and you only need a 70% score to pass.

Start looking for your first helpdesk job once you pass your first microsoft exam. Let the employer know what you can do for them, what your career goals are and how they can help you (by giving you experience, and giving you income to pay for the exams).

Get started by:
  1. Choosing the 10 exams you will need to take from this web page:
  2. Then hit up Amazon.com and buy the books for the exams that you chose.
  3. Sign up for your first exam (and PASS the exam)
  4. Create a good helpdesk resume. (You can find a "helpdesk resume" template in microsoft word, just search for it and tailor it for your needs.)
  5. Start looking for that first helpdesk job

You can find entry level helpdesk jobs on:
  • Indeed.com
  • SimplyHired.com
  • Dice.com

The usual requirements are:
  • 0-1 years of experience
  • High School Diploma
  • Some Customer service experience
  • Some Technical Knowledge
  • At least one IT certification

Keep in mind once you put your resume on Dice.com you will start getting calls from recruiters all over the country. Local staffing agencies will also be calling you to fill local positions..

That's basically all you need to do, then you'll be on the career path of a MCSE.

-Cash
 5 years ago '06        #69
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 SpittN4Cash said:
Every job will give you basic training..don't even worry about that. You just need to know windows. And Yes, The 10 courses for the MCSE will teach you all of that and more....that is how you will gain your experience before you get the job. The books will teach you the basics, and what's on the exam..then you just pay $150 for each exam - and you only need a 70% score to pass.

Start looking for your first helpdesk job once you pass your first microsoft exam. Let the employer know what you can do for them, what your career goals are and how they can help you (by giving you experience, and giving you income to pay for the exams).

Get started by:
  1. Choosing the 10 exams you will need to take from this web page:
  2. Then hit up Amazon.com and buy the books for the exams that you chose.
  3. Sign up for your first exam (and PASS the exam)
  4. Create a good helpdesk resume. (You can find a "helpdesk resume" template in microsoft word, just search for it and tailor it for your needs.)
  5. Start looking for that first helpdesk job

You can find entry level helpdesk jobs on:
  • Indeed.com
  • SimplyHired.com
  • Dice.com

The usual requirements are:
  • 0-1 years of experience
  • High School Diploma
  • Some Customer service experience
  • Some Technical Knowledge
  • At least one IT certification

Keep in mind once you put your resume on Dice.com you will start getting calls from recruiters all over the country. Local staffing agencies will also be calling you to fill local positions..

That's basically all you need to do, then you'll be on the career path of a MCSE.

-Cash
damn nice info...you say figure out what exam i want to take and then buy the book...two questions...

1. Isn't there i certain one i should start on that will teach me the basics from scratch as i have know knowledge as of now?

2. Is a book all that is required or would a course be a better road to take in understanding and learning everything?
 5 years ago '04        #70
space
space
 philly337 said:
damn nice info...you say figure out what exam i want to take and then buy the book...two questions...

1. Isn't there i certain one i should start on that will teach me the basics from scratch as i have know knowledge as of now?

2. Is a book all that is required or would a course be a better road to take in understanding and learning everything?
Yeah, start on the electives, then build up to the required exams.

Start with one of these:
  • Windows 7, Configuring (Exam 70-680) Difficulty: Low
  • CompTIA A+ Difficulty: Medium-Low
  • Designing a Windows Server 2003 & Active Directory (Exam 70-297) Difficulty: Medium-Low

The courses are OK if you can learn everything in 3-5 days, I would recommend the course to people who have hands-on experience because of the speed of the course - you have to grasp everything at their pace, and they can't give you one-on-one attention because they only have a few days to cover the material.

Plus the courses only cover what is in the book - nothing more, nothing less. I think the books will do just as good of a job, if not better than the courses.
 5 years ago '06        #71
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 SpittN4Cash said:
Yeah, start on the electives, then build up to the required exams.

Start with one of these:
  • Windows 7, Configuring (Exam 70-680) Difficulty: Low
  • CompTIA A+ Difficulty: Medium-Low
  • Designing a Windows Server 2003 & Active Directory (Exam 70-297) Difficulty: Medium-Low

The courses are OK if you can learn everything in 3-5 days, I would recommend the course to people who have hands-on experience because of the speed of the course - you have to grasp everything at their pace, and they can't give you one-on-one attention because they only have a few days to cover the material.

Plus the courses only cover what is in the book - nothing more, nothing less. I think the books will do just as good of a job, if not better than the courses.
just curious..why those? Are they ones that teach you from scratch? (just don't want to be jumping into any where you need some kind of prior knowledge). Also is there a certain line of books that are best for the exams?
 5 years ago '12        #72
sigNN 14 heat pts14
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 3897 3897
 philly337 said:
just curious..why those? Are they ones that teach you from scratch? (just don't want to be jumping into any where you need some kind of prior knowledge). Also is there a certain line of books that are best for the exams?
i would a.ssume because you dont have much knowledge with pc?

tso the 1st course teaches you about windows 7 and how it works
2nd course is a basic certification that all technicians should have
3rd to learn basic server stuff for small offices
 5 years ago '06        #73
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 LAZARO said:

I mean i'm not pc illiterate

had one all my life and help my fam friends out with issues but i don't know the ins and out where i could troubleshoot somebody over the phone and tell them what to type in command prompt other then like ipconfig and moving through folders lol

i basically just have no idea what kind of problems helpdesk/system analyst deal with and need to know. I don't want to study for an exam too far ahead that you might need prior knowledge on but i also want to do exams that would get me prepared and not just get a certificate and still be clueless how to do the job. I was skimming over "Windows 7, Configuring (Exam 70-680)" and "Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment" and they seem really basic..like just how to install windows ect...

also wondering if it would be better to study for the exams on win2k before windows 7 or if it doesn't really matter which is really why i asked why he felt those electives were better to learn first other then the required exams
 5 years ago '04        #74
space
space
 LAZARO said:
 philly337 said:

Exactly

And you should get Microsoft's book for each Microsoft exam, and the CompTIA book for the A+ exam.. there's a book for each exam -- the books will teach you the basics, and cover exactly whats on the exam.

All the prior knowledge that you need will be covered in those books....You can't just "skim" the material -- those books really go deep into Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003. You'll be an expert at it by the time you get the certification. You'll learn the basics, and have first hand experience, plus it demonstrates to employers that you're ready for your first helpdesk job. Also these certifications will count towards the MCSE..so it's like you're k!lling 3 birds with one stone.

philly337 said:
I mean i'm not pc illiterate

had one all my life and help my fam friends out with issues but i don't know the ins and out where i could troubleshoot somebody over the phone and tell them what to type in command prompt other then like ipconfig and moving through folders lol

i basically just have no idea what kind of problems helpdesk/system analyst deal with and need to know. I don't want to study for an exam too far ahead that you might need prior knowledge on but i also want to do exams that would get me prepared and not just get a certificate and still be clueless how to do the job. I was skimming over "Windows 7, Configuring (Exam 70-680)" and "Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment" and they seem really basic..like just how to install windows ect...

also wondering if it would be better to study for the exams on win2k before windows 7 or if it doesn't really matter which is really why i asked why he felt those electives were better to learn first other then the required exams
Thats a good point -- those books wont teach you how to talk to people, and they wont teach you the cmd prompt..but you can always google different command's for the cmd prompt, that's how most people learn it. There is no "Helpdesk training camp" to prepare you for the job, you just have to be a helpful person that will try your best to resolve any computer issue that comes your way. It's mostly customer service mixed with a little technical knowledge..if you add a certification that says you're an "EXPERT", then you should be good to go.

Yes, you can go after the required exams, instead of the electives. But those exams are geared toward people who are seeking jobs as Network Administrators...those people have a few more years of experience, and are generally overlooked for helpdesk positions (ie. "Overqualified").

Most companies are just now upgrading to Windows 7, so that will be a highly sought after certification for helpdesk personnel. Win2K is pretty much a dinosaur, no need to learn it. Windows server 2003 certification is useful if you don't have any experience performing basic administrative tasks. Thats why I think those would be perfect for you.
 5 years ago '06        #75
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
good look on all the info (i'm sure it's annoying answering basic questions....i just like to understand 100% what i'm getting into and what steps to take). So i should complete those 3 exams ad then start looking for work and once hired complete the rest to finish mcse right? Also i was checking this thread out and saw a lot of people saying to go for the network+ and security+ along with the a+. Also saw you mention HDI certification...

just making sure this is the best route (windows 7, a+, designing windows 2003 mentioned in previous post) and not what was mentioned in that thread that will have e prepared on my way
 5 years ago '04        #76
space
space
 philly337 said:
good look on all the info (i'm sure it's annoying answering basic questions....i just like to understand 100% what i'm getting into and what steps to take). So i should complete those 3 exams ad then start looking for work and once hired complete the rest to finish mcse right? Also i was checking this thread out and saw a lot of people saying to go for the network+ and security+ along with the a+. Also saw you mention HDI certification...

just making sure this is the best route (windows 7, a+, designing windows 2003 mentioned in previous post) and not what was mentioned in that thread that will have e prepared on my way
No prob.

The Network+ and/or Security+ exams can be next after the first three..they both count towards the MCSE certification as electives. But those certifications wont help you land a helpdesk position.

And are very easy to get..but they wont open as many doors as the A+, or Microsoft certifications...I've learned this from experience.

Plus the HDI will not count towards the MCSE, so i can't recommend it for you. If you just wanted to land a Helpdesk role, then the HDI would be perfect for you, but since you said you were going after the MCSE, then you should start taking exams that will move you in that direction. Employers want more than someone with a certification, they want someone who knows where they are going, and are actively moving in that direction. Stay focused on your career goals, don't just get certifications to get "a job".
 5 years ago '07        #77
Jeet Kune Do 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,072 | Props total: 1844 1844
good info in here. props

edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SpittN4Cash again.
 5 years ago '06        #78
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 SpittN4Cash said:
No prob.

The Network+ and/or Security+ exams can be next after the first three..they both count towards the MCSE certification as electives. But those certifications wont help you land a helpdesk position.

And are very easy to get..but they wont open as many doors as the A+, or Microsoft certifications...I've learned this from experience.

Plus the HDI will not count towards the MCSE, so i can't recommend it for you. If you just wanted to land a Helpdesk role, then the HDI would be perfect for you, but since you said you were going after the MCSE, then you should start taking exams that will move you in that direction. Employers want more than someone with a certification, they want someone who knows where they are going, and are actively moving in that direction. Stay focused on your career goals, don't just get certifications to get "a job".
nice....i downloaded "MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-680 Configuring Windows 7" i'm guessing this is good? Reviews on amazon are so-so..says it will teach you everything for the exam but a lot of errors in the book (like the correct commands to use) which worry me because like i said i want to actually be doing things right and known what i'm doing rather than just know enough to pass the exam

also what all materials tools would i need for practicing and and doing exercises? I have a laptop and 1gb usb stick but looks like you need two computers. Are 2 laptops good enough or would you actually need a pc since it's only dealing with the operating system (i'm a.ssuming all the exams mentioned are software based and not hardware)?
 5 years ago '04        #79
space
space
 philly337 said:
nice....i downloaded "MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-680 Configuring Windows 7" i'm guessing this is good? Reviews on amazon are so-so..says it will teach you everything for the exam but a lot of errors in the book (like the correct commands to use) which worry me because like i said i want to actually be doing things right and known what i'm doing rather than just know enough to pass the exam

also what all materials tools would i need for practicing and and doing exercises? I have a laptop and 1gb usb stick but looks like you need two computers. Are 2 laptops good enough or would you actually need a pc since it's only dealing with the operating system (i'm a.ssuming all the exams mentioned are software based and not hardware)?
That's perfect for 70-680. I dont recall that many errors in the training kit, but it was fine for me.

You only need 2 computers, some blank DVD's, a USB stick or external hard drive, and a copy of windows 7...Oh, and you might need a copy of Windows server 2003 or Windows server 2008 -

You may also want to look into ...and

^^those are optional.
 5 years ago '06        #80
philly337 20 heat pts20
space
space
 SpittN4Cash said:
That's perfect for 70-680. I dont recall that many errors in the training kit, but it was fine for me.

You only need 2 computers, some blank DVD's, a USB stick or external hard drive, and a copy of windows 7...Oh, and you might need a copy of Windows server 2003 or Windows server 2008 -

You may also want to look into ...and

^^those are optional.
thanks again for the info....

what about these professor messor videos? See the comments and a lot of people saying they passed using his videos. I'd rather watch videos then read a book but don't want to take a shortcut aka not learn everything i need to know. Was wondering if you know if covers everything to prepare you?

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
70 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
191 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Did This NBA Announcer Stole Boxden Lingo?
27 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
77 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
55 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
24 comments
20 hours ago