We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
28 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
134 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
187 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #161
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
$4,815 | Props total: 7011 7011
 Dos-effect said:
pigeon holding

First, dude said the script was going around a year before Django came out,
so Spike probably read it. There's no proof he has.

Second, people act like there were no Black director's before Spike.

Melvin Van Peebles>>>>>>>>>>>

Add Sidney Poitier, Michael Schultz, Gordon Parks, Ossie Davis, Bill Duke
They should all get thanked before Spike.
 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM         #162
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The movie was good, he portrayed the slavery aspect fairly, however he did downplay the overall attitude of whites back then, and it did make seem as if slavery was an inconvience for some, but overall not that bad for most........but it is just a movie
 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM         #163
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Bandito said:

First, dude said the script was going around a year before Django came out,
so Spike probably read it. There's no proof he has.

Second, people act like there were no Black director's before Spike.

Melvin Van Peebles>>>>>>>>>>>

Add Sidney Poitier, Michael Schultz, Gordon Parks, Ossie Davis, Bill Duke
They should all get thanked before Spike.
Did you even read the whole post? It wasnt even in direct relation to Spike Lee......foh with that sh*t. And who the fu*k cares if Spike didnt like the movie...its his opinion...and he has the right to voice it...........fu*k you going to tell another person how they should think or feel about something that is personal to them

Last edited by Dos-effect; 01-24-2013 at 04:00 PM..
 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM         #164
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 One Shot said:
The word kike was born on ellis island. it's an american slur, the americans in this movie were jews so they wouldn't be using it.

I haven't seen iron fists.

white people don't go around calling each other cracker so it wouldn't make any sense to be in reservoir dogs.
Ha, so you mean to tell me Germans had no offensive words for Jews? Germans never r*ped and had Jewish concubines? C'mon, you getting stuck on that specific word and not addressing the main point of my post speaks volume.

Just because Black people say it to each other doesn't mean QT has the right to exploit the word. I don't even remember the word being used that much in Amistad and that was an official Slavery movie. Stop reaching.....QT was wrong and honestly, the movie was wak to me
 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM         #165
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dlettern said:
Ha, so you mean to tell me Germans had no offensive words for Jews? Germans never r*ped and had Jewish concubines? C'mon, you getting stuck on that specific word and not addressing the main point of my post speaks volume.

Just because Black people say it to each other doesn't mean QT has the right to exploit the word. I don't even remember the word being used that much in Amistad and that was an official Slavery movie. Stop reaching.....QT was wrong and honestly, the movie was wak to me
But it was used alot back then........I mean to be fair it was......I could understand if it was actually covert racism going on( like alot of the skits on the Chappelle Show) but it didnt really seem that way,.....I think your reaching on this one bruh
 5 years ago '07        #166
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,403 | Props total: 2522 2522
 UrbanEnterprise said:
what is disrespectful about this movie then??? please enlighten me

how does this disgrace your ancestors huh?? in what way
I think it boils down to this... People are disrespected because they want to be disrespected... To make this movie equally as destructive as a rapper that glorifies destroying his own community is crazy to me... But it's his opinion and I strongly disagree with it... But I'm not going to change his mind and I'm not going to make him like this movie...

That being said... Tough break... I enjoyed it and if other people don't then that's their prerogative
 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM         #167
bbrossy313 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BlackRepub85 said:
Why does every conversation have to mean something? I can tell you I've been in and heard conversations just like those in pulp fiction and worse, by black people, not even people in another race. In reality some conversations mean nothing. But in movies, every word is supposed to mean something or carry some superlative message. That's just not realistic.
I would actually say a lot of the nonsense talk is the best part of some movies.

but in pulp fiction the dead nig storage even to me seems justified. me living around so many cornfed white people i have met a lot of sketchy racist people that say really vulgar sh*t about black people. so i would imagine that in the 70's things people would be right along the lines of dead nig storage

so to me the scene in pulp fiction was mainly to make u look at QT's character and hate him
 5 years ago '09        #168
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,430 | Props total: 11256 11256
 Optimus Crime said:
I think it boils down to this... People are disrespected because they want to be disrespected... To make this movie equally as destructive as a rapper that glorifies destroying his own community is crazy to me... But it's his opinion and I strongly disagree with it... But I'm not going to change his mind and I'm not going to make him like this movie...

That being said... Tough break... I enjoyed it and if other people don't then that's their prerogative
seems like you're one of the few who actually gets it

QT loves the controversy, and everyone who is hating on this movie without even watching it first are feeding right into his hands
 5 years ago '07        #169
clipse_designz 
space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
I didn't hear jews and europeans crying about inglorious bastards, you know why...

BECAUSE ITS A fu*kING FILM.
 5 years ago '10        #170
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
 Dos-effect said:
Did you even read the whole post? It wasnt even in direct relation to Spike Lee......foh with that sh*t. And who the fu*k cares if Spike didnt like the movie...its his opinion...and he has the right to voice it...........fu*k you going to tell another person how they should think or feel about something that is personal to them
My post didn't have anything else to do with your post, except that word you made up.
It's pigeonholing, as in to squeeze people into a hole only pigeons can fit through, not
pigeon holding.
 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM         #171
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dos-effect said:
But it was used alot back then........I mean to be fair it was......I could understand if it was actually covert racism going on( like alot of the skits on the Chappelle Show) but it didnt really seem that way,.....I think your reaching on this one bruh
I respect your opinion brother.

However, I'm still with Spike. White directors should be just as mindful when they venture into "Black" movies as they do when they make any other type of movie. Michael Jackson was almost hung when he dropped the word kike in one of his tracks and he wasn't even dissing Jews. He just used the word as an example of ignorance. Funny how how sensitive we all are to ever discriminatory word except for the N word. Its not a coincidence that Black people are the most disrespected around the world. I get disgusted just thinking about that
 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM         #172
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 clipse_designz said:
I didn't hear jews and europeans crying about inglorious bastards, you know why...

Are you serious? Did you miss the whole point of the original post?

I watched Inglorious Bastards. The Jews in that movie were badass. None of them needed a non-Jew to help them get their revenge on the Nazis. It was fantasy to the max cuz we all know what really happened and we all know that it was indeed the Russians who beat the Nazis.

Django was supposed to be a fantasy film as well, yet QT felt it important to use the N word 100xs for validity plus he made Jamie's character Waltz's flunky who earned his right for revenge only because a White man let him. The undertones in this movie in comparison to Inglorious Bastards are crazy. You can choose to turn a blind eye if you want.....I'm much more conscious than that.
 5 years ago '04        #173
jplaydadon 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,911 | Props total: 620 620
 Dos-effect said:
he really isnt reaching though. his main point is that you dont see that level of insulting and degradation of other races in other films that deal with oppression. it all goes back to the concept of white privilege when it comes to dealing with black people. there is a legacy of that in popular culture that was handed down from slavery and academia. i feel that is a significant critique because using the n-word so much in a film appeals to a large audience, esp of whites who either get pleasure from hearing and seeing that word used or dont see why they can use it themselves. you have to remember, we do not live in a post racial society, we live in a society that is still VERY RACIST (its just not politically correct to be open about it) and a lotta racist sentiment is on the rise in a lotta places in this country. a lot of what he is saying is subtle, i remember writing a paper on the animalistic portrayal of blacks in sports as compared to whites and how when lebron james ignorantly took that king kong like picture with that white woman on the vouge magazine cover, he unknowingly rekindled the legacy of the white privilege white women held with black men, as well as played into the stereotypical notion of the black brute (the n*gga even had his mouth open like he was screaming and was was wearing black to contrast the bright colors the blonde female was wearing) and the main constituency of vogue magazine has historically been well to do white women, which given it was an anniversary issue REALLY made the issue controvesial. i digress, but i think his point is along those lines. yes the n-word was used a lot back then, but it wasnt necessarily thrown around every second and as aggressively as tarantino uses it in his films all the time either. he knows that word is a lighting rod for audiences and i dont think hes entirely concerned about accuracy.
 5 years ago '05        #174
lilmeaty6122 
space
space
space
$780 | Props total: 1 1
 UrbanEnterprise said:
what is disrespectful about this movie then??? please enlighten me

how does this disgrace your ancestors huh?? in what way
im not sure if you are Black or white but whatever you are im not going to waste much time explaining why as an informed Black man that this movie disrespects me & my ancestors...i'll just state the obvious that this is a spaghetti western centered around Black men & women that are slaves in slave times...that in itself should resonate with you but if not oh well

do you think jews would be disrespected by a spaghetti western depicting jews centered around the jewish holocaust w/ gas chambers & concentration camps???
 5 years ago '05        #175
ice wolf 515 heat pts515
space
space
$9,299 | Props total: 5485 5485
'Um... yeah. Waking up next to "us" doesn't mean you love us and neither does a slavery movie in which the protagonist happens to k!ll all the "bad White people."

So Tarantino voicing his love for black America, and dating black women isn't enough to show you that he isn't in fact a racist? GTFOH

Soft a$$ journalist

Freedom of speech reigns supreme.

Let Tarantino write whatever the f#ck he wants. If you don't like it, don't watch his films.
 5 years ago '10        #176
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
 jplaydadon said:
i feel that is a significant critique because using the n-word so much in a film appeals to a large audience, esp of whites who either get pleasure from hearing and seeing that word used or dont see why they can use it themselves.
But, most conservatives blasted Django as a "kill whitey" movie. So do they
separate themselves from that aspect of the film and just enjoy it when
n*gger is spoken. Should blacks separate themselves from the movie when
n*gger is said and just enjoy the "kill whitey" moments.
 5 years ago '04        #177
jplaydadon 9 heat pts
space
space
 clipse_designz said:

well since jews and europeans control the industry and arent necessarily still dealing with the long term effects of the racism they endured, on a large scale, as are black people who are still struggling due to the legacy of slavery and jim crow etc. and in the same RELATIVE position as a race to others that have been in since we got here, they probably wont be crying. black people have been historically victimized by their portrayals in popular culture. ever hear of birth of a nation? single handedly launched the concept of the black brute in contrast to the docile childlike figure that needed white guidance. it went from that to the black peril, largely due to our portrayal on the big screen in the midst of an era of social change and advancement (maybe like today? maybe not) that whites envied during reconstruction.
 5 years ago '04        #178
lment 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,040 | Props total: 66 66
f*ck spike lee

5 years ago '09        #179
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,430 | Props total: 11256 11256
 lilmeaty6122 said:
im not sure if you are Black or white but whatever you are im not going to waste much time explaining why as an informed Black man that this movie disrespects me & my ancestors...i'll just state the obvious that this is a spaghetti western centered around Black men & women that are slaves in slave times...that in itself should resonate with you but if not oh well

do you think jews would be disrespected by a spaghetti western depicting jews centered around the jewish holocaust w/ gas chambers & concentration camps???
you still didn't answer my question

because slavery was depicted as a spaghetti western is disrespectful how again??? does that take away from the brutality of slave times??? there was no hanging in the film, there was no r*pe of black women in the film so why include gas chambers or concentration camps in IB.

there was however cold blooded murder in the opening scene of IB and not to mention the strangling of a woman who was helping the american jews

but i'll let you go ahead and be on your own little island thinking your ancestors would disapprove of this film, i'm not even black and i feel they would love the story of love and rescue while still being able to show the pain and suffering that they went through

that is called respect, to showcase the honest truth, to remind your dumbass what your people went through, to enjoy a film where u can raise your head up high and be proud of what your people have become, very strong indeed
 5 years ago '04        #180
jplaydadon 9 heat pts
space
space
 Bandito said:
But, most conservatives blasted Django as a "kill whitey" movie. So do they
separate themselves from that aspect of the film and just enjoy it when
n*gger is spoken. Should blacks separate themselves from the movie when
n*gger is said and just enjoy the "kill whitey" moments.
first off, its a difference. k!lling a deserving antagonist and k!lling someone because of the color of their skin is entirely different. white ppl have had their FILL of movies k!lling us off, creating inaccurate portrayals of our character to a.ssist in creating the idea that we are a peril and that our ill treatment is justified. so trying to make "kill whitey" vaild is just wrong because they arent dying undeservingly. ive heard that argument from conservatives and it doesnt make sense. they want to have done everyone wrong, benefit from it, then tell other ppl they cant do the same thing lol. its the same stupid argument they make with affirmative action, even though they still live off the upper hand a history of racism has given them

as far as the ****** word, i dont know exactly what the fu*k they do lol. im not them, but i do know that lots of white do use that word still in a negative, racist, and steretypical fashion, and, like i mentioned in my other post, links them to a sense of power and privlege, largely because the current order of things hasnt changed so much that it would be irrelevant. i feel that tarantino is playing on that to sell his movie, good move, just dont respect that.

and no, because of that blacks shouldnt ENJOY the k!ll whitey moments either for the same reasons i mentioned. its not just about k!lling white people for the sake of. if those people did you wrong, then they did deserve to die. enjoying k!lling people for the sake of makes us as bad as them, and we're not. and to me if people have to ignore large parts of a movie and highlight others just to watch a film, then the movie isnt as good and effective as it could have been then
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
44 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
95 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
59 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Fans Find Doo Doo Condoms and Lube While Digging into Zac Efrons Trash!
227 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy