We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
14 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
50 Cent Says Jay Z Will Fail In Boxing Promotion....and he was right
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
209 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '08        #141
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
$12,945 | Props total: 5500 5500
 dlettern said:
To anyone who thinks that the usage of the N word isn't a big deal....why didn't he use the word Kike or other disrespectful words in Inglorious Bastards? I never heard the word Chink or Gook in the man with Iron fists....They weren't calling each other crackers in Reservoir dogs....I guess QT and some of you guys feel its fine to ONLY disrespect Black people. Pretty pathetic.

Spike is owed his respect as he has not only been the voice of Black people but everyone from the hoods here in NY. His movies eloquently express the racial dynamics within our neighborhoods without ever disrespecting anyone. For anyone to dismiss his opinion simply because he's an outspoken Black man is wrong. He has done more for us a culture than any rapper has, truth
 One Shot said:
The word kike was born on ellis island. it's an american slur, the americans in this movie were jews so they wouldn't be using it.

I haven't seen iron fists.

white people don't go around calling each other cracker so it wouldn't make any sense to be in reservoir dogs.
Not like he didn't get that answer in the last thread he asked it in
 5 years ago '04        #142
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,605 | Props total: 1773 1773
 rbarber1234 said:

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch
Only read a couple paragraphs, couldnt get his past him basing his opinions like facts because he doesnt agree with the directors vision. Spike is getting butthurt about another persons portrayal, he needs to relax and figure why the fu*k HE isnt directing some "real" black movie for us.
 5 years ago '06        #143
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,618 | Props total: 8542 8542
i think if you are offended you got the right to be but at the same time don;t get mad when other people disagree with you.
 5 years ago '12        #144
Raw Silk 
space
space
$244 | Props total: 0 0
Why is everyone mad at spike lee for his comments.
 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM         #145
Ya'll Fags 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I don't think that line was to generate laughs but used to show how much respect this little dorky white guy had from Jules - a black hitman.

I think the use of that phrase in that movie was useful and it made me wonder more about the background of QT's character and why Jules would let the phrase slide with him (because I don't think the character Jules lets Vincent say the n-bomb).
 5 years ago '04        #146
darkceleb 
space
space
space
$200 | Props total: 2 2
 rbarber1234 said:

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch
 5 years ago '04        #147
teekarow 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,250 | Props total: 715 715
good read....and the "dead igger storage" comment was way out of line in Pulp. ....but then again, alot of whites say *igger all day and everyday behind closed doors, so maybe with Mr. Tino he was just keeping it real as to what they do. which is something to think about in itself.
 5 years ago '09        #148
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,432 | Props total: 11257 11257
too many fu*king idiots on here i swear

burgandy is just a quentin hater obviously (dude said spike has better films than qt)

that ithink n*gga is the type of n*gga who watches a movie wit his mind made up on how he's gonna feel about it

the basterds were jews born in america so why would they use the word kike

and i have never heard white people call each other cracker

the film does show slavery at its worst, the unshackling of Django's feet showing his ankles all bloody from the shackles, the whips on his back shows his abuse from his previous owners, the whipping scene to Kerry Washington which i've seen grown men shed a tear after that, the helplessness felt so real when they were running away and you see white people on horses wit torches chasing them, the mandigo f!ghting where black men are forced to f!ght to the death, the dog scene, etc etc

the script actually had worse situations that were not included in the film

this is what makes QT a great director & writer cuz in the midst of all that, he manages to balance using comedy and violence

i hope this movie wins best picture just to p!ss you sensitive a.ss bi*ches off
 5 years ago '07        #149
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,403 | Props total: 2522 2522
 lilmeaty6122 said:
you are right on with your a.ssessment of the movie...the other thing that Black people dont get is as long as we take our money and go support these types of movies at the box office we are making it that much easier for future films like this to be made...we still dont understand the potential power that we have by the way we spend our collective dollar...we dont have to march or rally anywhere to get our point across...without the financial support of Blacks these film companies will think twice about making something as disrespectful as this movie...imagine if the Weinstein company (probably a jew company) saw a disrespectful script like this come to them and they knew for a fact what certain segment of the population WOULD NOT be in the theater...i've heard many Black people say say they went to see it 2 & 3 times so that buying power is definitely on display
OK... So this movie was disrespectful to black people? Because white folks called us n!gger and he showed it on film. It's not like there isolated unconnected instanced of the n-word being used (i.e. the dead n!gger storage)...

How about we stop supporting these rappers that spewing out messages about how much they love whips and chains. That sh*t is more disrespectful than ANYTHING I saw in Django
 5 years ago '09        #150
Dice 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,207 | Props total: 187 187
 BlackRepub85 said:
Why does every conversation have to mean something? I can tell you I've been in and heard conversations just like those in pulp fiction and worse, by black people, not even people in another race. In reality some conversations mean nothing. But in movies, every word is supposed to mean something or carry some superlative message. That's just not realistic.
Worse than dead ****** storage?

You need some new friends.
 5 years ago '04        #151
Ra-da-god 23 heat pts23
space
space
$11,744 | Props total: 1555 1555
I always will have respect for spike Lee and I always felt like the use of ****** was widely un-needed in QT films like Jackie brown and PF but I just just didn't feel that with Django....

the movie si about slavery but its also a western if you are going to make a movie starring a blackman in that period it has to involve slavery because thats american culture straight up alot of those scenes did make me feel a certain way yes but thats how it was cant knock Tarantino for being accurate nor can I knock spike for being offended it is what it is.....

both has mad some of my favorite movies growing up
 5 years ago '09        #152
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$66,404 | Props total: 12338 12338
 dloc757 said:
Spot on article. Good but long read

FTA:

Spike Lee doesn't need my help to defend him, but he does deserve our gratitude and respect.

I remember watching Pulp Fiction for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, if not loved it. It is fair to characterize it as a classic piece of American cinema. But that doesn't in any way mitigate the impact or excuse the "Dead N***** Storage" joke(s) in the film. They were unnecessary and wholly arbitrary in nature. They weren't for expository effect or "authenticity."

They were to generate laughs. He got none from me.

Then came Jackie Brown. This time, it was more of the same but for a lesser quality movie. Samuel L. Jackson was once again (like Pulp Fiction) used as the loudspeaker for the supposed humor. In fact, it was used 38 times. Again, not for expository effect or "authenticity" sake, (although Tarantino has argued publicly that the movie was an homage to the Blackxploitation genre in which the word was often used.)

But again... used to generate laughs... and I didn't.

My familiarity with Tarantino's work was neither linear nor chronological in nature. It wasn't until after Jackie Brown that I went back and discovered Reservoir Dogs... and there it is found too. Say it again with me... not for expository effect or "authenticity" sake.

This time it wasn't necessarily for laughs per se, but was used by "Mr. Pink" to specifically degrade and deride as an insult.

This is largely the history of Quentin Tarantino leading up to Django Unchained, a movie whose script was widely circulated in the year prior to its release. Spike Lee read it, I've read and virtually everyone else involved in entertainment had read it long before the movie premiered.

Lee, made it clear that he did not plan to support the movie, finding the whole premise of spaghetti western slave drama to be "disrespectful" to his (and my) ancestors. In response, Lee was criticized and castigated for not having viewed the movie first and for being a "hater," as the reductionist, simple-minded argument would go.

Lee's critique is not, was not and will never be dependent on the "quality" of the movie. It never was about the movie, it's about the very premise. I don't need to actually view "Slavery -- The Broadway Musical" starring Jennifer Hudson to forward the idea that slavery as a musical is wholly disrespectful in its very conception. I don't need to sit through "Slavery - The Daytime Soap Opera" starring Shemar Moore or "Superman The Man of Steel Frees the Negroes" co-starring Flava Flav either to come to this reasonable conclusion.

If you need to see the movie to gauge the accuracy of Lee's point... you've in fact already missed it.

Let me say it again and in bold, because I'm sure somebody below in the comment section will say to "see it" first.

If you need to see the movie to gauge the accuracy of Lee's point... you've in fact already missed it.

Those familiar with the horrible premise of The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer, which aired briefly on UPN should already get the point.

Please save your Django movie review, it's not relevant to this discussion. No matter if you loved it or hated it... not germane to the issue. Keep it to yourself while debating this issue.

It is and always was about the premise (and predilection) of Tarantino.

Lee was called (among other things) a "thug" and "punk" by comedian d!ck Gregory and a "conniving and scheming Uncle Tom" by former 2LiveCrew leader Luther Campbell. I respect the former and laugh at the latter. d!ck Gregory has a long, undeniable civil rights history, but such a classless rebuke for a film he wasn't in and criticism not directed at him is curious at best. And you also mean to tell me, the man BEST known for debasement of countless women of color and a career of misogyny, Luther Campbell was calling the director of Four Little Girls, When the Levees Broke, Malcolm X, Do the Right Thing and Miracle at St. Anna (producer) an "Uncle Tom?"

That would be laugh-out-loud funny if it weren't so sadly ignorant. Campbell knows about as much about Harriet Beecher Stowe as I do quantum physics.

...As in nothing.

Each one of Spike's aforementioned movies was a very sincere and detailed love letter to the African-American community. Love letters, not just movies. While Spike Lee was forever changing the future of film and how Black directors and actors would be utilized back in the late '80s... Campbell was in the midst of a 19th century minstrel show revival, cavorting and undulating to "Oh, me so horny."

And now Campbell feels both comfortable and confident to say Lee is an "Uncle Tom?"

It is silly to think such stupidity was going to pass unless I said something. If nobody else tells the truth, I will.

I have not agreed (or appreciated) all of Lee's work (including use of the N-word), or even his depiction of women in many of his films. And for that I have summarily criticized him over the years, check the record. But be absolutely clear, you can't question how much he loves the African-American community and his sincerity is above reproach. Know that before Denzel and Halle accepted their Oscars, it was Spike who made them into viable silver screen options. It was Spike who introduced Samuel L. Jackson to the world, paving the way for Tarantino to use him in films, not vice-versa. It was Spike who laid the path for contemporaries John Singleton, Ernest d!ckerson, F. Gary Gray, Tim Story, the much-maligned Tyler Perry and Antoine Fuqua who also publicly chided Lee with respect to Django.

That would be the same Antoine Fuqua, who directed Training Day, featuring the very same Denzel Washington (and N-words) as a vehicle to an Oscar. Spike says "you're welcome" Antoine.

When there were none of them, Spike was f!ghting FOR them, telling stories on film traditional Hollywood refused to support. A director doesn't make films like 4 Little Girls to make himself wealthy or in the hopes of winning Oscars. He does it because he's in love with us.

Oscars are given out for questionable roles like those in Training Day and Monster's Ball... not Malcolm X. They are given out for movies like The Help, Glory, Precious and Driving Miss Daisy... not A Huey P. Newton Story or Bamboozled. Lee was making movies for us and about us... not primarily for wealth, fame or Oscars. To call him a "hater" is to say you really haven't been paying attention for the past 25 years. To call him a "thug" (d!ck Gregory) means that you really are just a comedian and not to be confused as a real confidante of Dr. King.

Our history can't be denied, one which Lee has dedicated his life to chronicling and preserving.

Turning the corner...

There is nothing to suggest in Tarantino's personal history that he loves us (We grew up less than a mile apart in the same housing track in Harbor City, CA). Fascinated maybe... but love, absolutely not. It is not unlike those who made the argument that Elvis loved and respected African-Americans because "he had 'Black girlfriends.'"

Um... yeah. Waking up next to "us" doesn't mean you love us and neither does a slavery movie in which the protagonist happens to k!ll all the "bad White people."

Tarantino's behavior reeks more of fascination with the Black experience, complete with an N-word fetish; not respect or reverence. Not to mention, his cavalier use of the word even outside of the film realm (i.e. backstage at the Golden Globes) gives me great, great pause.

I don't have to wonder whether Lee has a deep and abiding respect for our history and contributions to this country, even beyond slavery. His record is inarguable. Conversely, Tarantino's record is equally inarguable. The only thing Tarantino has proven is that we can count on "N*****" to be a staple in his films, past, present and future.

If you disagree with Spike... fine. But to disrespect and disregard him in the expression of that disagreement is wholly unacceptable. Spike Lee has earned better.

We collectively missed Spike Lee's point and owe him a huge apology. Quentin Tarantino has never fought for, or to uplift us. Luther Campbell definitely has never fought for us and the next uplifting thing he does will be his first. Spike Lee doesn't need my help to defend him, but he does deserve our gratitude and respect.

---
This is truth.
 5 years ago '08        #153
triznathaniel 42 heat pts42
space
space
$5,825 | Props total: 1320 1320
People have a problem with "dead ****** storage" but what about Marcellus wanting n*ggas in indochina ready to pop out a bowl of rice for Butch?
 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM         #154
DonWeezy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Helluva thread bro...made a lot of sense and unlike the rest of these clowns u opened somes eyes
 5 years ago '06        #155
LYTE 125 heat pts125
space
space
space
$14,121 | Props total: 4704 4704
good read
 5 years ago '08        #156
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23296 23296
I got halfway and realized the author still hadn't made his point
 5 years ago '11        #157
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 6 6
 DaOmega_1 said:
Hey, it's a dead horse everybody! Let's beat it!!!!!
Yeah, these race-baiters are reallly trying to turn this into some type of racist boycott "Chick Fil-A" type of sh*t on QT movies cuz the N-word is used every once in a while. Sit your a.sses down and STFU

Last edited by GetuOne; 01-24-2013 at 02:42 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #158
lilmeaty6122 
space
space
space
$780 | Props total: 1 1
 Optimus Crime said:
OK... So this movie was disrespectful to black people? Because white folks called us n!gger and he showed it on film. It's not like there isolated unconnected instanced of the n-word being used (i.e. the dead n!gger storage)...

How about we stop supporting these rappers that spewing out messages about how much they love whips and chains. That sh*t is more disrespectful than ANYTHING I saw in Django
i dont recall saying that we shouldnt support this movie at all because of the word n!99er...that had nothing to do with my argument...if they didnt use that word 1 time i would still feel the same way about this movie...like the author of the article said if you dont see how this movie is disrespectful to our ancestors WITHOUT having to go out and see it to come to that conclusion then you missed the point from the beginning

i agree with you we should also stop supporting these rappers and their destructive messages...whether you think they are more disrespectful than this movie is just your opinion...both are equally destructive in my book
 5 years ago '06        #159
raw51188 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,606 | Props total: 1 1
Qt is no doubt fascinated with black culture. And? Is that wrong? He's also fascinated with taboo, and n*gga is huge taboo in white culture. sh*t, even in black culture. That doesn't necessarily make the use of n*gga in his films inherently wrong. I personally think he uses the word to make white people feel uncomfortable and show overt racism in a world where some people think its extinct.

But some people just want to hate. And Qt is loving every moment of it.
 5 years ago '09        #160
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,432 | Props total: 11257 11257
 lilmeaty6122 said:
i dont recall saying that we shouldnt support this movie at all because of the word n!99er...that had nothing to do with my argument...if they didnt use that word 1 time i would still feel the same way about this movie...like the author of the article said if you dont see how this movie is disrespectful to our ancestors WITHOUT having to go out and see it to come to that conclusion then you missed the point from the beginning

i agree with you we should also stop supporting these rappers and their destructive messages...whether you think they are more disrespectful than this movie is just your opinion...both are equally destructive in my book
what is disrespectful about this movie then??? please enlighten me

how does this disgrace your ancestors huh?? in what way
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
48 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
62 comments
23 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
101 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
22 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy