We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
78 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith has a supreme shooting sleeve
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
122 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #121
neworleansavior 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,531 | Props total: 129 129
Spike that dude PERIOD, i dont agree with everything he says or does but he right about this shyt. Fu*k n*ggaz not gonna go against QT cause they fu*k n*ggaz, just like during slavery they had slaves who loved there oppressors it is what it is and they are who they are. Fu*k them bytch azz MF, Spike money long so he gonna keep dropping that real shyt on they bytch azz whether like it or not.

Last edited by neworleansavior; 01-24-2013 at 08:13 AM..
 5 years ago '07        #122
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,840 | Props total: 4822 4822
 neworleansavior said:
Spike that dude PERIOD. fu*k n*ggaz not gonna go against QT cause they fu*k n*ggaz, just like slavery they had slaves who loved the master it is what it is.
real rap
 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM         #123
iThink 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i thought this was clear when tarantino tried to bill the movie as some great conversation starter, some grand historical account with lots of historical accuracy so he had to use the word 160+ times to add authenticity and then you walk in to see a slave comedy?

the press about this movie was insincere. it was an entertaining film, for what it was, but it was never billed for what it was. people actually think this movie is great?
 5 years ago '04        #124
Hystwise 
space
space
space
$919 | Props total: 0 0
I'd only respect the Django outrage from a select few prominent Black figures, Spike Lee is one. He does movies he doesn't really have to do, but that serves a purpose for the people (in my opinion).

However...we'd have to be more privy to Tarantino's state of mind when writing this stuff to figure out if we would personally walk out on the same ledge. And if we are, we'd be asking ourselves plainly..."Is Tarantino a closet racist?"

I honestly don't think so. And I believe that he does run script ideas past certain actors (you can't tell me in Pulp Fiction, he didn't pull Sam to the side like "What do you think of this?"). I actually believe he sets out to make films that get under your skin (with the content, blood, dialogue) and he makes hits based on that. I love his movies, they're dope films.

C/p
 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM         #125
iThink 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hystwise said:
I'd only respect the Django outrage from a select few prominent Black figures, Spike Lee is one. He does movies he doesn't really have to do, but that serves a purpose for the people (in my opinion).

However...we'd have to be more privy to Tarantino's state of mind when writing this stuff to figure out if we would personally walk out on the same ledge. And if we are, we'd be asking ourselves plainly..."Is Tarantino a closet racist?"

I honestly don't think so. And I believe that he does run script ideas past certain actors (you can't tell me in Pulp Fiction, he didn't pull Sam to the side like "What do you think of this?"). I actually believe he sets out to make films that get under your skin (with the content, blood, dialogue) and he makes hits based on that. I love his movies, they're dope films.

C/p
i think spike chose his words pretty carefully when he was critical of the film, but you'd think by people's reaction to what he said that he had some sort of irrational motive for not seeing the film. i think that's the point the author was trying to get at, and the judgments hedged against tarantino for the film were his own opinion.

he wasn't far off base. django is the violent, melodramatic comedy that qt is known for...it's just this time, slaves are the subjects. so for anyone who already may have suspected he fetishized the black experience this movie was the smoking gun.

he didn't break any new ground or open any new forums for discussion when he made this movie and if he thinks he did then he's delusional
 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM         #126
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To anyone who thinks that the usage of the N word isn't a big deal....why didn't he use the word Kike or other disrespectful words in Inglorious Bastards? I never heard the word Chink or Gook in the man with Iron fists....They weren't calling each other crackers in Reservoir dogs....I guess QT and some of you guys feel its fine to ONLY disrespect Black people. Pretty pathetic.

Spike is owed his respect as he has not only been the voice of Black people but everyone from the hoods here in NY. His movies eloquently express the racial dynamics within our neighborhoods without ever disrespecting anyone. For anyone to dismiss his opinion simply because he's an outspoken Black man is wrong. He has done more for us a culture than any rapper has, truth
 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM         #127
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dlettern said:
To anyone who thinks that the usage of the N word isn't a big deal....why didn't he use the word Kike or other disrespectful words in Inglorious Bastards? I never heard the word Chink or Gook in the man with Iron fists....They weren't calling each other crackers in Reservoir dogs....I guess QT and some of you guys feel its fine to ONLY disrespect Black people. Pretty pathetic.
Spike is owed his respect as he has not only been the voice of Black people but everyone from the hoods here in NY. His movies eloquently express the racial dynamics within our neighborhoods without ever disrespecting anyone. For anyone to dismiss his opinion simply because he's an outspoken Black man is wrong. He has done more for us a culture than any rapper has, truth
can a white man please respond to this

or a corny house n*gga that hates spike so much that is in here

i did not think so

98%
 5 years ago '10        #128
Staszy 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$2,425 | Props total: 3 3
Black people are the softest people
 5 years ago '04        #129
bigman_d_ 
space
space
$420 | Props total: 0 0
good read
 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM         #130
One Shot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dlettern said:

The word kike was born on ellis island. it's an american slur, the americans in this movie were jews so they wouldn't be using it.

I haven't seen iron fists.

white people don't go around calling each other cracker so it wouldn't make any sense to be in reservoir dogs.
 5 years ago '08        #131
triznathaniel 42 heat pts42
space
space
$5,828 | Props total: 1325 1325
The usage of the word is contextually correct, and the offensive nature of the setting and the word itself make it easier to hate the villains. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason for making a revenge flick against slavers...

Who said it was okay for anyone to use the word? I'd understand if it were being used sincerely with hate by any protagonist in the movie (the way Waltz uses it you know he's just not trying to rock the boat by treating Blacks equal to whites), but it's not. I didn't see Man With The Iron Fists but A) completely different context and B) not a QT movie. I don't remember about language in IB but again, different context. And when at any point in history or literature would white people call each other 'cracker' (you silly fu*k)? Angry blacks itt are grasping at straws, if u don't like the movie then good for u
 5 years ago '08        #132
triznathaniel 42 heat pts42
space
space
$5,828 | Props total: 1325 1325
I also find it ridiculous that anyone suggests that it would be okay to call blacks ******s if everyone used racial epithets to refer to each other equally. You cry racism and your hypocrisy is disgusting.
 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM         #133
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 zhiggeman said:
nice write up but still pointless. Spike lee from back in the day has been long gone. Its funny the writer says he didn't do those movies for oscars when in fact that was why he did the story 4 little girls. Spike lost sight of what BLACK people wanted to see along time ago. While the same guy that wrote do the right thing, school daze, and jungle fever has appeared to have WAKEN UP (pun to what he use to say in his BLACK movies), he doesn't hold his tongue to critize other peoples work but you feel we should apologize to him because we critized his opinion of someone else work? riiiight..

the problem with black cienma and directors is they lack vision. they use the same tired subjects and play off the same old race angles. fu*k i know i'm black why do i have to watch a movie about black people that i have never met or will ever meet outside of watching your dumb a.ss movie? make some sci fi sh*t, make some other worldly sh*t, be creative. answer me this.. why is it easy to believe a white person is in a movie is rich and well to do, but when its a black person you automatically a.ssume drugs are involved? your mind says oh he sold dope to get that fly a.ss car and crib, yet with the white guy no explanation is needed? spike is guilty of such travestieis.. he needs to grow up content wise as should all directors.. not even going to mention marlon wayans scary movie
But you have to keep in mind big idea movies means big idea budgets....Hollywood is not going to endorse an all black movie unless its a satire of bullsh*t. Because they dont anticipate mainstream America actually paying to see these types of movies. Not to mention the pigeon holding that is done to black movie directors, mainly because of people with your outlook.
 5 years ago '12        #135
144 strong 22 heat pts22
space
space
$438 | Props total: 106 106
 bigree61 said:
can a white man please respond to this

or a corny house n*gga that hates spike so much that is in here

i did not think so

98%

the only people who criticized spike for his statements against this were house negroes period. Jamie Foxx is a homos3xual house ******. Uncle Luke has the nerve to call anyone a Uncle Tom when he made his money in degrading black/latino women. d!ck Gregory, n*gga please. He was friends w/ by far one of the biggest sellouts(MLK), but thats for a different discussion. The point is whenever black/latino people come out and say something that is against the grain, they are upbraided by white folks but predominantly house ******s.

For example when he spoke out against Tyler Perry's cooning, step and fetch it behind. He got a lot of backlash from various black actors and of course that sodomite Tyler Perry.

The word ****** didn't bother me in the movie because that is how we were described then, but like a few people have previously stated, I did not like the satire of some of the scenes. An really I believe Spike needs to make a Nat Turner movie to shut these white folks and house ******s mouths.
 5 years ago '04        #136
sandman 
space
space
$810 | Props total: 7 7
good read
 5 years ago '05        #137
lilmeaty6122 
space
space
space
$780 | Props total: 1 1
 <<InphDigi>> said:
After seeing the movie (I wanted to watch it because I like most QT flicks, and Christoph Waltz>>>>), I definitely understand Spike Lee's point as to why he didn't want to see the film. Again, lets not ignore an important part of this editorial, that Spike had already read the script before the movie, so him seeing the movie is not really relevant if he's read the script.

While I was watching the movie, I noticed that I began to compartmentalize how I felt during the flick and after watching. It certainly is a great movie in terms of acting, cinematography, storytelling, etc... all of the (for lack of better terms) "technical" aspects of the film. However, it felt very awkward watching some of the scenes in the movie... the big house where Don Johnson was the pimp/slave owner "Big Daddy". Hearing the character Betina call him Big Daddy while he called her his ****** bi*ch definitely struck a negative chord with me, as did the scenes with the Black men f!ghting to the death at the behest of DiCaprio's character, and sicking the dogs on the slave who climbed up the tree.

Yes, this movie does trivialize slavery in my opinion, especially when you add 2Pac and Rick Ross to the score. This is worth mentioning because hip hop, for all the good it is and has done and has the potential to do, has been used as a tool in exploiting the Black American populace, as well as creating and reinforcing stereotypes of Black people in America. Adding any comedic spin to a one of the most vile periods in American History, whose impact is felt both systematically and systemically to this very day, is in effect marginalizing the enslavement and brutalization of Black people in America; and it is a further insult to use a term whose history is rooted in discrimination towards Blacks as a way to facilitate the comedic aspect of a movie whose setting is a recreation of the darkest hour in this nations history.
you are right on with your a.ssessment of the movie...the other thing that Black people dont get is as long as we take our money and go support these types of movies at the box office we are making it that much easier for future films like this to be made...we still dont understand the potential power that we have by the way we spend our collective dollar...we dont have to march or rally anywhere to get our point across...without the financial support of Blacks these film companies will think twice about making something as disrespectful as this movie...imagine if the Weinstein company (probably a jew company) saw a disrespectful script like this come to them and they knew for a fact what certain segment of the population WOULD NOT be in the theater...i've heard many Black people say say they went to see it 2 & 3 times so that buying power is definitely on display
 5 years ago '07        #138
vegaspete27k 1 heat pts
space
space
$962 | Props total: 0 0
 foshomoney said:
Man I'm so tired of people crying over the word n*gga. Some people be looking for a reason to cry.
 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM         #139
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 144 strong said:

the only people who criticized spike for his statements against this were house negroes period. Jamie Foxx is a homos3xual house ******. Uncle Luke has the nerve to call anyone a Uncle Tom when he made his money in degrading black/latino women. d!ck Gregory, n*gga please. He was friends w/ by far one of the biggest sellouts(MLK), but thats for a different discussion. The point is whenever black/latino people come out and say something that is against the grain, they are upbraided by white folks but predominantly house ******s.

For example when he spoke out against Tyler Perry's cooning, step and fetch it behind. He got a lot of backlash from various black actors and of course that sodomite Tyler Perry.

The word ****** didn't bother me in the movie because that is how we were described then, but like a few people have previously stated, I did not like the satire of some of the scenes. An really I believe Spike needs to make a Nat Turner movie to shut these white folks and house ******s mouths.
Just want to say, MLK took a bullet for your black a.ss, you have every right to your opinion, but he laid his life down for your freedom....man deserves more then that homie
 5 years ago '08        #140
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
$12,968 | Props total: 5535 5535
 The S-Word said:
...Only when they're not clowning your people

Don't start sh!t you can't finish

Must be bc you're an idiot.

As for the rest of your bullsh!t post, it's the same as all your other ones--Puerile, snide comments with 'Whites have never done anything racist in history' undertones. How pathetic. Do the world a favor and shut up for once.
As we're talking about Django that's what you come up with?

Keep talking, you're hilarious.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
21 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
25 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
201 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
86 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
48 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy