We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
119 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
122 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
12 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
82 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #81
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,791 | Props total: 1796 1796
 r.burgundy said:
its stupid to somebody who doesnt understand what is bein said.
and judgin by tha bolded u still clearly dont understand.spike didnt attack django or tarrantino.he just said he wont watch a slave movie that isnt true to tha source.he didnt make it a qt issue,or a n*gga issue,so their is really nothin to criticize in his statement

No, you dont understand because my comment wasn't just for what Spike said about Django but his history of critical remarks period along with the general concept of everyone being entitled to an opinion and a response to an opinion. It's not that hard to grasp.

but either way him saying that a spaghetti western is disrespectful to his ancestors is criticism of the film whether you want to consider it direct or indirect.

and any type of opinion on a topic can be criticized. Why ? because it's a subjective opinion, not a fact.

<<InphDigi>> said:
After seeing the movie (I wanted to watch it because I like most QT flicks, and Christoph Waltz>>>>), I definitely understand Spike Lee's point as to why he didn't want to see the film. Again, lets not ignore an important part of this editorial, that Spike had already read the script before the movie, so him seeing the movie is not really relevant if he's read the script.

While I was watching the movie, I noticed that I began to compartmentalize how I felt during the flick and after watching. It certainly is a great movie in terms of acting, cinematography, storytelling, etc... all of the (for lack of better terms) "technical" aspects of the film. However, it felt very awkward watching some of the scenes in the movie... the big house where Don Johnson was the pimp/slave owner "Big Daddy". Hearing the character Betina call him Big Daddy while he called her his ****** bi*ch definitely struck a negative chord with me, as did the scenes with the Black men f!ghting to the death at the behest of DiCaprio's character, and sicking the dogs on the slave who climbed up the tree.

Yes, this movie does trivialize slavery in my opinion, especially when you add 2Pac and Rick Ross to the score. This is worth mentioning because hip hop, for all the good it is and has done and has the potential to do, has been used as a tool in exploiting the Black American populace, as well as creating and reinforcing stereotypes of Black people in America. Adding any comedic spin to a one of the most vile periods in American History, whose impact is felt both systematically and systemically to this very day, is in effect marginalizing the enslavement and brutalization of Black people in America; and it is a further insult to use a term whose history is rooted in discrimination towards Blacks as a way to facilitate the comedic aspect of a movie whose setting is a recreation of the darkest hour in this nations history.

The film had slavery AND comedy yes, but it didn't portray slavery itself in a comedic fashion. I think it's stupid to say " you can't have any controversial subjects in movie that has comedic moments, even if they're distinctly separate"

I think people are over analyzing the movie. It's a really simple movie to understand and take in, so if the majority of black folk loved the movie including people like d!ck Gregory, that says something.

I dont think it marginalizes or trivializes slavery in any way because the depictions of slavery in the movie are very raw and for some even hard to watch and never directly put in a comedic tone.

Every brutal aspect of slavery displayed in the movie from Broohilda getting whipped to the Mandingo's f!ghting to the death to D'Artagnan being ripped apart by dogs was put over a very somber and serious tone.

The reason why most black people ( or most people period) loved the movie was because it realistically showed the brutality of slavery while still being able to be entertaining. If you polled most black people who watched the movie and asked them " Would you like for all the comedy to be taken out" I'm sure most of them would say No because it's what made the movie entertaining and black folk love to laugh.

I think anyone who knows how to distinguish the purpose of each element of the movie can see that the comedy doesn't trivialize the depictions of slavery in it in any way IMO.

Last edited by psylence2k; 01-23-2013 at 10:05 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #82
Optimus Crime 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,403 | Props total: 2525 2525
 <<InphDigi>> said:
After seeing the movie (I wanted to watch it because I like most QT flicks, and Christoph Waltz>>>>), I definitely understand Spike Lee's point as to why he didn't want to see the film. Again, lets not ignore an important part of this editorial, that Spike had already read the script before the movie, so him seeing the movie is not really relevant if he's read the script.

While I was watching the movie, I noticed that I began to compartmentalize how I felt during the flick and after watching. It certainly is a great movie in terms of acting, cinematography, storytelling, etc... all of the (for lack of better terms) "technical" aspects of the film. However, it felt very awkward watching some of the scenes in the movie... the big house where Don Johnson was the pimp/slave owner "Big Daddy". Hearing the character Betina call him Big Daddy while he called her his ****** bi*ch definitely struck a negative chord with me, as did the scenes with the Black men f!ghting to the death at the behest of DiCaprio's character, and sicking the dogs on the slave who climbed up the tree.

Yes, this movie does trivialize slavery in my opinion, especially when you add 2Pac and Rick Ross to the score. This is worth mentioning because hip hop, for all the good it is and has done and has the potential to do, has been used as a tool in exploiting the Black American populace, as well as creating and reinforcing stereotypes of Black people in America. Adding any comedic spin to a one of the most vile periods in American History, whose impact is felt both systematically and systemically to this very day, is in effect marginalizing the enslavement and brutalization of Black people in America; and it is a further insult to use a term whose history is rooted in discrimination towards Blacks as a way to facilitate the comedic aspect of a movie whose setting is a recreation of the darkest hour in this nations history.
And I don't see exactly see how the story trivialized slavery. There can be humor in one thing... And it not trivialize what's actually happening. This movie (And QT's movies in general) are grounded in black humor. (Not African American humor).

Like the "Big Daddy" scene referenced above. Do you REALLY think that there weren't slave owners that referred to their female slaves as bi*ches and had them stroke their ego by forcing them to refer to them as things such as Big Daddy? Sure it may seem funny... But that sickening feeling in your stomach was exactly what he was going for IMO. My friends referred to Big Daddy as that dirty old man, or that sicko, or that pervert. It's not like he was built up as a great character. And QT even made him MORE of a scumbag with the
[spoiler - click to view]

angle.

The entire Mandingo f!ghting thing was an homage to the movie Mandingo, and a few different blaxploitation movies as well. Which is a genre that QT has said many times that he's a fan of. It wouldn't make monetary sense for a slave owner to mandingo f!ght... But the fact that a human being could force another human being is sickening (And something glorified in white culture.. i.e. gladiators.) The whole Mandingo f!ghting scene wasn't meant to be cool.. It was meant to be sickening. Just because someone has a sick sense of humor doesn't mean he doesn't understand the gravity of the situation (Like the Dog Scene)

He had the same type of black humor in Basterds. And that was a time as bad for jews as the Django era is for African Americans. There's nothing funny about holocaust or the Nazi regimen... But there were plenty of laughs in Basterds. It's his style... Granted it's not for everyone but I don't think he's intending to trivialize or disrespect anything.

Plus he showed just as much attention to Kerry Washington's feet as he shows everyone elses
 5 years ago '05        #83
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,232 | Props total: 9631 9631
 BlackRepub85 said:
Why does every conversation have to mean something? I can tell you I've been in and heard conversations just like those in pulp fiction and worse, by black people, not even people in another race. In reality some conversations mean nothing. But in movies, every word is supposed to mean something or carry some superlative message. That's just not realistic.
Indeed.
 Santoro said:
Cause it ain't there, cause storing dead ******s ain't my fu*king business, that's why!
Ayo. The movie is going to be 20 years old next year and people are STILL talking about it. Tarantino won.

One thing I do love though is how they say how ridiculous the 'dead n*gger storage' conversation is, yet they completely ignore the fact that John Travolta headshots the n*gga on a public street and Samuel L. decides it would be cool to take the dead body to a friend's house... Yeah that TOTALLY falls within the parameters of normal behavior and making sense. The whole movie is crossing over lines and boundaries and people selectively get mad over the DNS conversation?
 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM         #84
bigbarcelona 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Even though I disagree with the authors opinion in certain aspects of this article, I can definitely say that it was a great read. Sure, it's a fact that Quentin Tarantino has never done anything for the black community and I can certainly agree with one if his examples brought upon on Reservoir Dogs, but in the end, just because it was done in a different way doesn't mean that he missed the point and settings of that time regarding the role or ethnic treatment of others in this country. Not only was it entertaining, but also, it remind us that at one point people of color didn't have it as easy as today and it was only possible because of our ignorance during that time. Lets not forget that black people during this time weren't even considered humans, so are people really surprise about the language when at that time it was completely ok? And as far as Luke being thrown under the bus? In that case well deserve. In the end, he's the least qualified person to give out such criticism when his a.ss was a fu*king minstrel show.

Last edited by bigbarcelona; 01-23-2013 at 10:12 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #85
brookserik 
space
space
$1,539 | Props total: 1938 1938
What did you think happened in the 1800's?? Respect and dignity for blacks?? F@#k NO!! If you get that offended by the use of a word then you have your own internal issues to be dealt with before you can tell someone ELSE what to say or do. I cant stand people like you (the author), grow up, and face the REALITY of our past.
 5 years ago '08        #86
JerryBoBerry 
space
space
space
$175 | Props total: 4 4
I think he should thank Tarantino for making him relevant again. Yes, he made some excellent movies...20 years ago. Before this whole thing took place, I can't remember Spike Lee being mentioned unless it was involving the Knicks. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I don't see why he had to air it out like that though.
 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM         #87
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
YOU WILL HEAR THE K WORD OVER A 100x IN A MOVIE ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST

98%
 5 years ago '04        #88
datboy|e 18 heat pts18
space
space
$2,923 | Props total: 3004 3004
 rbarber1234 said:

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch
hhahahaha
 5 years ago '04        #89
Magnificent Phoenix|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$7,120 | Props total: 229 229
tl;dr

fu*k Spike's opinion on Tarantino films

/end
 5 years ago '05        #90
I'm The Dan 7 heat pts
space
space
$11,571 | Props total: 148 148
Didn't even have to read it. Some salty black guy wrote it.
 5 years ago '10        #91
#JewLife 111 heat pts111
space
space
$17,764 | Props total: 7325 7325
people need to get over the word. it's 2013. it's time to evolve as a society and no longer let sounds we make with our mouths offend us.
 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM         #92
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #93
JayThunder 
space
space
$1,984 | Props total: 80 80
 rbarber1234 said:

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch
lmfao
 5 years ago '07        #94
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,830 | Props total: 4807 4807
 zhiggeman said:
nice write up but still pointless. Spike lee from back in the day has been long gone. Its funny the writer says he didn't do those movies for oscars when in fact that was why he did the story 4 little girls. Spike lost sight of what BLACK people wanted to see along time ago. While the same guy that wrote do the right thing, school daze, and jungle fever has appeared to have WAKEN UP (pun to what he use to say in his BLACK movies), he doesn't hold his tongue to critize other peoples work but you feel we should apologize to him because we critized his opinion of someone else work? riiiight..

the problem with black cienma and directors is they lack vision. they use the same tired subjects and play off the same old race angles. fu*k i know i'm black why do i have to watch a movie about black people that i have never met or will ever meet outside of watching your dumb a.ss movie? make some sci fi sh*t, make some other worldly sh*t, be creative. answer me this.. why is it easy to believe a white person is in a movie is rich and well to do, but when its a black person you automatically a.ssume drugs are involved? your mind says oh he sold dope to get that fly a.ss car and crib, yet with the white guy no explanation is needed? spike is guilty of such travestieis.. he needs to grow up content wise as should all directors.. not even going to mention marlon wayans scary movie
thats not true at all.problem is black projects dont get funded.spielberg had to put up 30 mil of his own money to make red tails.so if spielberg cant get funded,imagine if it was a black director who tried to make red tails.it wouldve neva seen tha light of day.

another big problem is blacks dont support their own.more blacks went to support this django sh*t than went to see red hook summer and red tails combined.it just further handicaps us when we dont support our projects.u got dudes in here breakin they neck to condemn spike as if they hav eva lifted a finger for their own people.whites stick together,blacks dont
 5 years ago '11        #95
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,745 | Props total: 4941 4941
I'll read it when I get back from the Store ....

[pic - click to view]

No , I Wont
 5 years ago '12        #96
Asstrologist81 
space
space
$625 | Props total: 62 62
 rbarber1234 said:

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch

me either
 5 years ago '04        #97
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,368 | Props total: 6381 6381
i'm surprise that we're still talking about this...

and yes we don't owe spike an apology. just our honest opinion
 5 years ago '05        #98
Don Rodriguez 18 heat pts18
space
space
$730 | Props total: 108 108
i've read the first 3 pages of this thread and i will say this, being as not have watched it yet,( though i have it burned to dvd and ready to watch at my leisure) i can say that spikes' arguements aren't that misguided, but in the interview he did with Yahoo! he's askin if QT wants an honorary n*gga pass basically since all his black themed movies have excessively used the word. at the end of the day QT is director with a vision like anyone else and if his vision is not "historically accurate" who the hell cares......if u want historically accurate watch roots........if u want something to laugh at and YOU know the difference between history and somthing making blatant fun of racism, pick your own sh*t....god help us all when someone makes an accurate portrayal of nat turner, then let's see how people will feel........and i hope QT does that one too........
 5 years ago '06        #99
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,361 | Props total: 4635 4635
When I watched the movie I saw it the context as if it were the 1970s and I was watching some low-budget film a black guy made about a black man getting revenge on a whole bunch of white people.

I think about how if this movie was instead a black film that came out in the 70s, for instance, what the reaction would be.

I didn't encounter white people leaving the film laughing and smiling. I did notice some black people cheering with every white death though.

.....then again, I did watch it when I was in Oakland.
 5 years ago '04        #100
The S-Word 
space
space
$3,676 | Props total: 1291 1291
 NvrCMyNut said:
do white & black people ever stop whining over petty sh*t?
...Only when they're not clowning your people

Don't start sh!t you can't finish

SlickJ101 said:
Must be bc I'm Irish.

Ya I clearly expected this to be straight history channel special. I had no knowledge of Inglorious Bastards or how Tarantino was going to take a historical setting and build one of his stories into it. I was sure nobody would cry about it bc it involved slavery and we obviously can't talk about that.

I hope you were dumb enough to waste $12 thinking it was going to be something other than that.
Must be bc you're an idiot.

As for the rest of your bullsh!t post, it's the same as all your other ones--Puerile, snide comments with 'Whites have never done anything racist in history' undertones. How pathetic. Do the world a favor and shut up for once.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
85 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
38 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
55 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
69 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy