We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
96 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
94 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
130 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
284 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #1
17753 pageviews
268 comments

dloc757 11 heat pts11
space
space
$681 | Props total: 313 313
We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

Spot on article. Good but long read

FTA:

Spike Lee doesn't need my help to defend him, but he does deserve our gratitude and respect.

I remember watching Pulp Fiction for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, if not loved it. It is fair to characterize it as a classic piece of American cinema. But that doesn't in any way mitigate the impact or excuse the "Dead N***** Storage" joke(s) in the film. They were unnecessary and wholly arbitrary in nature. They weren't for expository effect or "authenticity."

They were to generate laughs. He got none from me.

Then came Jackie Brown. This time, it was more of the same but for a lesser quality movie. Samuel L. Jackson was once again (like Pulp Fiction) used as the loudspeaker for the supposed humor. In fact, it was used 38 times. Again, not for expository effect or "authenticity" sake, (although Tarantino has argued publicly that the movie was an homage to the Blackxploitation genre in which the word was often used.)

But again... used to generate laughs... and I didn't.

My familiarity with Tarantino's work was neither linear nor chronological in nature. It wasn't until after Jackie Brown that I went back and discovered Reservoir Dogs... and there it is found too. Say it again with me... not for expository effect or "authenticity" sake.

This time it wasn't necessarily for laughs per se, but was used by "Mr. Pink" to specifically degrade and deride as an insult.

This is largely the history of Quentin Tarantino leading up to Django Unchained, a movie whose script was widely circulated in the year prior to its release. Spike Lee read it, I've read and virtually everyone else involved in entertainment had read it long before the movie premiered.

Lee, made it clear that he did not plan to support the movie, finding the whole premise of spaghetti western slave drama to be "disrespectful" to his (and my) ancestors. In response, Lee was criticized and castigated for not having viewed the movie first and for being a "hater," as the reductionist, simple-minded argument would go.

Lee's critique is not, was not and will never be dependent on the "quality" of the movie. It never was about the movie, it's about the very premise. I don't need to actually view "Slavery -- The Broadway Musical" starring Jennifer Hudson to forward the idea that slavery as a musical is wholly disrespectful in its very conception. I don't need to sit through "Slavery - The Daytime Soap Opera" starring Shemar Moore or "Superman The Man of Steel Frees the Negroes" co-starring Flava Flav either to come to this reasonable conclusion.

If you need to see the movie to gauge the accuracy of Lee's point... you've in fact already missed it.

Let me say it again and in bold, because I'm sure somebody below in the comment section will say to "see it" first.

If you need to see the movie to gauge the accuracy of Lee's point... you've in fact already missed it.

Those familiar with the horrible premise of The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer, which aired briefly on UPN should already get the point.

Please save your Django movie review, it's not relevant to this discussion. No matter if you loved it or hated it... not germane to the issue. Keep it to yourself while debating this issue.

It is and always was about the premise (and predilection) of Tarantino.

Lee was called (among other things) a "thug" and "punk" by comedian d!ck Gregory and a "conniving and scheming Uncle Tom" by former 2LiveCrew leader Luther Campbell. I respect the former and laugh at the latter. d!ck Gregory has a long, undeniable civil rights history, but such a classless rebuke for a film he wasn't in and criticism not directed at him is curious at best. And you also mean to tell me, the man BEST known for debasement of countless women of color and a career of misogyny, Luther Campbell was calling the director of Four Little Girls, When the Levees Broke, Malcolm X, Do the Right Thing and Miracle at St. Anna (producer) an "Uncle Tom?"

That would be laugh-out-loud funny if it weren't so sadly ignorant. Campbell knows about as much about Harriet Beecher Stowe as I do quantum physics.

...As in nothing.

Each one of Spike's aforementioned movies was a very sincere and detailed love letter to the African-American community. Love letters, not just movies. While Spike Lee was forever changing the future of film and how Black directors and actors would be utilized back in the late '80s... Campbell was in the midst of a 19th century minstrel show revival, cavorting and undulating to "Oh, me so horny."

And now Campbell feels both comfortable and confident to say Lee is an "Uncle Tom?"

It is silly to think such stupidity was going to pass unless I said something. If nobody else tells the truth, I will.

I have not agreed (or appreciated) all of Lee's work (including use of the N-word), or even his depiction of women in many of his films. And for that I have summarily criticized him over the years, check the record. But be absolutely clear, you can't question how much he loves the African-American community and his sincerity is above reproach. Know that before Denzel and Halle accepted their Oscars, it was Spike who made them into viable silver screen options. It was Spike who introduced Samuel L. Jackson to the world, paving the way for Tarantino to use him in films, not vice-versa. It was Spike who laid the path for contemporaries John Singleton, Ernest d!ckerson, F. Gary Gray, Tim Story, the much-maligned Tyler Perry and Antoine Fuqua who also publicly chided Lee with respect to Django.

That would be the same Antoine Fuqua, who directed Training Day, featuring the very same Denzel Washington (and N-words) as a vehicle to an Oscar. Spike says "you're welcome" Antoine.

When there were none of them, Spike was f!ghting FOR them, telling stories on film traditional Hollywood refused to support. A director doesn't make films like 4 Little Girls to make himself wealthy or in the hopes of winning Oscars. He does it because he's in love with us.

Oscars are given out for questionable roles like those in Training Day and Monster's Ball... not Malcolm X. They are given out for movies like The Help, Glory, Precious and Driving Miss Daisy... not A Huey P. Newton Story or Bamboozled. Lee was making movies for us and about us... not primarily for wealth, fame or Oscars. To call him a "hater" is to say you really haven't been paying attention for the past 25 years. To call him a "thug" (d!ck Gregory) means that you really are just a comedian and not to be confused as a real confidante of Dr. King.

Our history can't be denied, one which Lee has dedicated his life to chronicling and preserving.

Turning the corner...

There is nothing to suggest in Tarantino's personal history that he loves us (We grew up less than a mile apart in the same housing track in Harbor City, CA). Fascinated maybe... but love, absolutely not. It is not unlike those who made the argument that Elvis loved and respected African-Americans because "he had 'Black girlfriends.'"

Um... yeah. Waking up next to "us" doesn't mean you love us and neither does a slavery movie in which the protagonist happens to k!ll all the "bad White people."

Tarantino's behavior reeks more of fascination with the Black experience, complete with an N-word fetish; not respect or reverence. Not to mention, his cavalier use of the word even outside of the film realm (i.e. backstage at the Golden Globes) gives me great, great pause.

I don't have to wonder whether Lee has a deep and abiding respect for our history and contributions to this country, even beyond slavery. His record is inarguable. Conversely, Tarantino's record is equally inarguable. The only thing Tarantino has proven is that we can count on "N*****" to be a staple in his films, past, present and future.

If you disagree with Spike... fine. But to disrespect and disregard him in the expression of that disagreement is wholly unacceptable. Spike Lee has earned better.

We collectively missed Spike Lee's point and owe him a huge apology. Quentin Tarantino has never fought for, or to uplift us. Luther Campbell definitely has never fought for us and the next uplifting thing he does will be his first. Spike Lee doesn't need my help to defend him, but he does deserve our gratitude and respect.

---

[pic - click to view]

Morris W. O'Kelly: We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology

268 comments for "We Owe Spike Lee a Huge Apology"

5 years ago '11        #2
rbarber1234 44 heat pts44
space
space
$6,053 | Props total: 4932 4932

[pic - click to view]

But spikes a bi*ch
 01-23-2013, 01:45 AM         #3
Jackson High 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Might have to sit back and read this a second time before I leave for work. Very intriguing write-up, brought up some points for both sides of the fence.

Spike Lee you son of a gun.
 5 years ago '05        #4
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,838 | Props total: 4128 4128
Hey, it's a dead horse everybody! Let's beat it!!!!!
 01-23-2013, 04:36 AM         #5
graydome 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good read
 5 years ago '07        #6
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,842 | Props total: 4826 4826
 DaOmega_1 said:
Hey, it's a dead horse everybody! Let's beat it!!!!!
u should try reading it.it may help your comprehension skills
 5 years ago '04        #7
purtayboi 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,564 | Props total: 3372 3372
this was a good read, it's really nice to read a well thought out alternative perspective (although not mine) once in a while.
 5 years ago '04        #8
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,078 | Props total: 4425 4425
another person who gets
 5 years ago '04        #9
Koekoe 
space
space
$1,060 | Props total: 471 471
 purtayboi said:
this was a good read, it's really nice to read a well thought out alternative perspective (although not mine) once in a while.
^^ exactly

up to this point everybody dismissed spike with ease
only so they could see a 165 min movie.

we certainly cant hold it against spike for not liking it.
but maybe he shouldnt have voiced his opinion knowing the kind of backlash he would receive.

r.i.p. luther campbell though, author thorougly k!lled him.
 5 years ago '06        #10
droid3000 996 heat pts996
space
space
$26,471 | Props total: 26240 26240
First few paragraphs illustrates one of many reasons I hate this guys films. I'm watching pulp fiction and I hear the dude say "dead ****** storage" and I'm like wtf does ****** have to do with anything? that being said I did love django unchained and the use of the n word in that film actually makes sense
 5 years ago '04        #11
zhiggeman 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,091 | Props total: 3908 3908
nice write up but still pointless. Spike lee from back in the day has been long gone. Its funny the writer says he didn't do those movies for oscars when in fact that was why he did the story 4 little girls. Spike lost sight of what BLACK people wanted to see along time ago. While the same guy that wrote do the right thing, school daze, and jungle fever has appeared to have WAKEN UP (pun to what he use to say in his BLACK movies), he doesn't hold his tongue to critize other peoples work but you feel we should apologize to him because we critized his opinion of someone else work? riiiight..

the problem with black cienma and directors is they lack vision. they use the same tired subjects and play off the same old race angles. fu*k i know i'm black why do i have to watch a movie about black people that i have never met or will ever meet outside of watching your dumb a.ss movie? make some sci fi sh*t, make some other worldly sh*t, be creative. answer me this.. why is it easy to believe a white person is in a movie is rich and well to do, but when its a black person you automatically a.ssume drugs are involved? your mind says oh he sold dope to get that fly a.ss car and crib, yet with the white guy no explanation is needed? spike is guilty of such travestieis.. he needs to grow up content wise as should all directors.. not even going to mention marlon wayans scary movie
 5 years ago '05        #12
space
space
 r.burgundy said:
u should try reading it.it may help your comprehension skills
I did. And, it doesn't do anything for me. I don't question Spike Lee as an artist, or a thinker. I don't need five paragraphs to tell me stuff I already know. No one is doubting his place in cinema, or how important of a creative voice he is to our culture. In that sense, I don't owe Spike Lee sh*t, let alone an apology.

I don't think the writer's response is a strong one that negates any of the inherent flaws that exists in Spike Lee's argument. Nor does it convince me that it is anything other than a knee-jerk reaction to a period of history being depicted in a different fashion than Spike would like it to be depicted. That's on him, and I won't argue with that feeling, or question its validity.

And, my comprehension skills are just fine, thank you...
 5 years ago '12        #13
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,205 | Props total: 9811 9811
I don't understand how the use of the word in Pulp Fiction wasn't authentic. The character was angry and was yelling, how many of us have heard or said offensive sh*t while we're angry.
 5 years ago '05        #14
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 6 6
Cause it ain't there, cause storing dead ******s ain't my fu*king business, that's why!
 5 years ago '04        #15
bony 37 heat pts37
space
space
$2,363 | Props total: 319 319
we dont owe that crybaby sh*t... he owes us a good movie
 5 years ago '05        #16
space
space
 bony said:
we dont owe that crybaby sh*t... he owes us a good movie
A good movie? He hasn't made one of those since "Inside Man".
 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM         #17
CS35 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cry me a river

Cry me cry me
 5 years ago '08        #18
SlickJ101 22 heat pts22
space
space
$12,968 | Props total: 5535 5535
 DaOmega_1 said:
A good movie? He hasn't made one of those since "Inside Man".
Oh you mean the one with the most evil Jew in history?
 5 years ago '04        #19
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
Spike Lee has done good work in the past and propz to him for it but...

Don't nobody "owe" Spike Lee shyt

we're entitled to an opinion just like he is

and we're entitled to criticism just like he is too

we dont even know this muthahphucka personally, talking about we owe him an apology

Propz to Spike Lee but FOH with that retarded train of thought
 5 years ago '12        #20
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,205 | Props total: 9811 9811
 SlickJ101 said:
Oh you mean the one with the most evil Jew in history?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
99 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
14 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy