Joe Budden - "No Love Lost" Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
99 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
81 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
104 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #81
Pos 90 heat pts90
space
space
$9,614 | Props total: 5469 5469
Drake is the Disney Channel version of Joe Budden.

he brought Joe's whole style to the mainstream, just added a lil singing
 5 years ago '04        #82
D1nOnlyMrM@ 43 heat pts43
space
space
$12,451 | Props total: 1446 1446
 HiMyNameIsDope said:
I'm an as*hole.

Joe Budden opened a lot of doors for Drake, yes. But the truth is Drake took the foundation that Joe Budden built, and then built a home around it. Joe Budden has always done one thing very well, and that's rap about himself. But I guess that's not entirely true, I suppose you could say not giving a fu*k about the way his music sounds is a second thing he does well.

Versatility? Drake.
Impact? Drake.
Ear for production? Drake.
Songwriting? Drake.
Lyrics? Drake.
Songs about having miserable life? Joe Budden.
Inferior sounding products Joe Budden.

Joe Budden is now the sugar free alternative of Drake. He's Drake Zero. Diet Drake. It'll get the job done in a pinch, but it still has that horrible aftertaste.
...thats a horrible a.ssessment. lyrically budden is better. he writes better concepts of songs. and Pos is right....budden made that hot. I actually believe Joe Budden ushered in the J.Coles, Drakes of this era
 5 years ago '12        #83
HiMyNameIsDope 
space
space
$123 | Props total: 45 45
 D1nOnlyMrM@ said:
...thats a horrible a.ssessment. lyrically budden is better. he writes better concepts of songs. and Pos is right....budden made that hot. I actually believe Joe Budden ushered in the J.Coles, Drakes of this era
Concepts and songwriting are not the same thing. And Joe Budden's interesting concepts span less than 10 records across more than a dozen projects. When you people use the word lyrical, do you understand that lyrics include the ability to write timeless music? That there is an elegance in simplicity? The wit it takes to have a message, and make that readily available for people of all cultures to understand?

Lyrics are more than sports references and clever metaphors, seriously. This is why Joe Budden can only write one type of song. Personal ones about his life.
 5 years ago '07        #84
Pos 90 heat pts90
space
space
$9,614 | Props total: 5469 5469
Delete.

Last edited by Pos; 01-24-2013 at 03:58 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #85
D1nOnlyMrM@ 43 heat pts43
space
space
$12,451 | Props total: 1446 1446
 HiMyNameIsDope said:
Concepts and songwriting are not the same thing. And Joe Budden's interesting concepts span less than 10 records across more than a dozen projects. When you people use the word lyrical, do you understand that lyrics include the ability to write timeless music? That there is an elegance in simplicity? The wit it takes to have a message, and make that readily available for people of all cultures to understand?

Lyrics are more than sports references and clever metaphors, seriously.
no.. ive listened to both... all of the material...and seriously budden has more replay value. Ill give you maybe Drake's wordplay and lyricism are dwarfed by his commercial success... budden was first dubbed a mixtape/punchline rapper, then pump it up and fire made people say he was a club rapper, then he was dubbed a beef rapper because of the jay z, game, g unit situations, then he was known as an introspective emo rapper... basically... he is more versatile...career wise, and his use current events make his music timeless when i hear his songs mention a moment of a specific time period...it takes me back to that time period... but you are entitled to your opinion
 5 years ago '12        #86
HiMyNameIsDope 
space
space
 D1nOnlyMrM@ said:
no.. ive listened to both... all of the material...and seriously budden has more replay value. Ill give you maybe Drake's wordplay and lyricism are dwarfed by his commercial success... budden was first dubbed a mixtape/punchline rapper, then pump it up and fire made people say he was a club rapper, then he was dubbed a beef rapper because of the jay z, game, g unit situations, then he was known as an introspective emo rapper... basically... he is more versatile...career wise
Throughout his career, Joe has shed a bunch of labels. But you know what? He's ALWAYS chased the success of Pump It Up, Focus, and Fire. Can it truly be considered a notch on your belt if you've only done it early in your career and have chased the success and quality on that specific (club/party) type of record ever since?

People considered him that because it's all they knew about him. Despite the many labels you applied to him, in the grand scheme of music only two prevail: club rapper and introspective rapper. Given what I've just said, can you ever really say the first was truly earned? The rest of his career proved he isn't good at replicating those types of songs.

and his use current events make his music timeless when i hear his songs mention a moment of a specific time period...it takes me back to that time period... but you are entitled to your opinion
That's a coded language that will be understood by few, though. Can someone be expected to appreciate that reference 25-years from now without having being there? These soon-to-be outdated references cannot be timeless unless they're all meaningful and socially impactful events. We get the references, we can appreciate them. Not everyone can. That's a shame, don't you think?

Cult classic may define Joe Budden's discography better than timeless ever will.

Last edited by HiMyNameIsDope; 01-24-2013 at 04:25 PM..
 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM         #87
StatisticZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"Cult classics" essentially are "timeless", there's many examples throughout the history of movies and music..
 5 years ago '08        #88
Hiero 112 heat pts112
space
space
$19,566 | Props total: 2397 2397
 HiMyNameIsDope said:
The rest of his career proved he isn't good at replicating those types of songs.
I disagree. He has a bunch of great club-type records apart from the 3 obvious ones from this debut.
 5 years ago '11        #89
Norcal 78 heat pts78 OP
space
space
$11,809 | Props total: 1192 1192
 HiMyNameIsDope said:
I'm an as*hole.

Joe Budden opened a lot of doors for Drake, yes. But the truth is Drake took the foundation that Joe Budden built, and then built a home around it. Joe Budden has always done one thing very well, and that's rap about himself. But I guess that's not entirely true, I suppose you could say not giving a fu*k about the way his music sounds is a second thing he does well.

Versatility? Drake.
Impact? Drake.
Ear for production? Drake.
Songwriting? Drake.
Lyrics? Drake.
Songs about having miserable life? Joe Budden.
Inferior sounding products Joe Budden.

Joe Budden is now the sugar free alternative of Drake. He's Drake Zero. Diet Drake. It'll get the job done in a pinch, but it still has that horrible aftertaste.
 5 years ago '08        #90
Hiero 112 heat pts112
space
space
 HiMyNameIsDope said:
Versatility? Drake.
I'd like to hear you elaborate on this.
 5 years ago '11        #91
Norcal 78 heat pts78 OP
space
space
 Cooked Brickz said:
Finish reading that post, dude is an idiot.
 5 years ago '08        #92
Hiero 112 heat pts112
space
space
 norcal925 said:
Finish reading that post, dude is an idiot.
I don't think so. Intellectual posts are intellectual. I was just curious.
 5 years ago '11        #93
Norcal 78 heat pts78 OP
space
space
 Cooked Brickz said:
I don't think so. Intellectual posts are intellectual. I was just curious.
"Inferior sounding products Joe Budden.

Joe Budden is now the sugar free alternative of Drake. He's Drake Zero. Diet Drake. It'll get the job done in a pinch, but it still has that horrible aftertaste."
 5 years ago '12        #94
HiMyNameIsDope 
space
space
 Cooked Brickz said:
Drake can write a variety of different songtypes. He can even write for other people. His imagination and pen goes beyond his hardships in life.

Drake's choruses have reached Midas-touch status. This has forever been one of Joe's weaker points.

Drake is very good at melodies. Something that Joe can be very cringeworthy at, even if he's executed them in a few cases before.

Drake is a songwriter. He writes songs, not raps. Which leads me to a mini-tirade that will state from top to bottom, the basic checklist for what makes at the very least okay song is:

[x] beats
[x] rhymes

But one should recognize that there is also so many more smaller details within those two things, as well as the synergy between the two. To understand my point of view, think of it this way: beats and rhymes separates the good from the bad. Everything in between, the smaller things (hooks, melodies, delivery, voice, songwriting, sequencing, vision, mixing, production, individual sounds and sequences within the production, etc.) are what separates the good from the great, and then again, the great and the legends.

norcal925 said:
"Inferior sounding products Joe Budden.
Joe Budden is now the sugar free alternative of Drake. He's Drake Zero. Diet Drake. It'll get the job done in a pinch, but it still has that horrible aftertaste."
It's true. Let's not pretend that SLV isn't a not-so-secret Drake and The Weeknd fanclub.

I don't want people to think I'm ragging on Joe because I'm thinking he's bad. My own opinion of him is quite the opposite. I just believe he is capable of much more than he has shown thus far. Joe Budden lives every day with the potential to have been (maybe still be?) an all-time great artist. No Love Lost sounds like it is at the very least a step in the right direction. Even if it's not as good of a project as others in his discography, it's a good one for him. It's picking up where his debut left off. Even if this album is horrible, I would argue it was a good thing for Joe-- even just artistically. He's breaking out of his box and sometimes you have to take a step backwards before you move forwards.

Drake is living out the reality of Joe Budden's potential. Like him or not, can you really deny that right now he's on a trajectory that will soon put him in the company of Kanye West and Jay-Z? Will he get there? Who knows. But the scary thing is two albums in: He's only getting better.
 5 years ago '12        #95
OldBusiness 163 heat pts163
space
space
$21,023 | Props total: 17197 17197
Stop bi*ching about and wait for the damn leak.
 5 years ago '04        #96
dblock187s 27 heat pts27
space
space
$10,824 | Props total: 2286 2286
 ALLEEK said:
Stop bi*ching about and wait for the damn leak.
 5 years ago '12        #97
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,984 | Props total: 1251 1251
 D1nOnlyMrM@ said:
no.. ive listened to both... all of the material...and seriously budden has more replay value. Ill give you maybe Drake's wordplay and lyricism are dwarfed by his commercial success... budden was first dubbed a mixtape/punchline rapper, then pump it up and fire made people say he was a club rapper, then he was dubbed a beef rapper because of the jay z, game, g unit situations, then he was known as an introspective emo rapper... basically... he is more versatile...career wise, and his use current events make his music timeless when i hear his songs mention a moment of a specific time period...it takes me back to that time period... but you are entitled to your opinion
This actually makes absolutely zero sense.. Which, in retrospect, give credit to Joe, bc he completely proved he doesn't need current event punch lines to make a hot verse (even though that's when he's at his best) bc in 25 years, you talkin "timeless" music.. But in 25 years.. NO ONE will be able to go back and listen to this "timeless" music you speak of and have a fu*king clue what the fu*k Joey was referring to every other line

But like I said, props to Joey for switching sh*t up and being versatile enough to still make dope music without all the current event punch lines, even though that's a strong suit for him.
 5 years ago '06        #98
ehizzy3 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,917 | Props total: 502 502
needs to leak already
 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM         #99
Ninobrown12 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lets go b
 5 years ago '04        #100
myersjavon 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$278 | Props total: 55 55
Need this already all the reviews sound good n that listening session got me like
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
55 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
272 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
116 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
48 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
70 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
11 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - Alien Spacecraft Discovered? Scientists believe so
28 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
51 comments
20 hours ago