TV Streaming Boxes?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
56 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
31 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
72 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
75 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #141
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,736 | Props total: 1640 1640
 smj_724 said:
Finally got the Pi up and running. Streaming has been pretty good so far. Alot better than my Gbox.

Only problem im having is that the Pi doesnt recognize my external HDD, so i cant want the movies i have on it. The only thing i can think of is because i have it formatted for my ps3

Is there a video player or something i can put on the pi?
i find it weird that its not recognizing ur hdd. its recognizing mine

is yours a powered hard drive? or a hard drive that is powered by usb?

if so the pi usb port will not be able to power up the hard drive.

another option is to connect the hard drive to your computer and access it wirelessly with ur pi.

here is a tutorial i hope it helps.

im glad u got your pi workin though
 5 years ago '04        #142
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
here is another link that may help

5 years ago '04        #143
KREW 25 heat pts25
space
space
$6,048 | Props total: 4840 4840
Ordered my Pi yesterday and gonna order some more stuff for it (mce remote, powered usb hub).. Cant wait to get this thing set up
 5 years ago '04        #144
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 KREW said:
Ordered my Pi yesterday and gonna order some more stuff for it (mce remote, powered usb hub).. Cant wait to get this thing set up

just so u know u dont really need to spend money on the rest of the stuff..

the reason i like the pi is because the cost was significantly lower than other streaming devices and u can save money as well by using ur phone as the remote and using an old micro usb charger for your power
 5 years ago '04        #145
KREW 25 heat pts25
space
space
 bluedawgalex said:

just so u know u dont really need to spend money on the rest of the stuff..

the reason i like the pi is because the cost was significantly lower than other streaming devices and u can save money as well by using ur phone as the remote and using an old micro usb charger for your power
Yeah I havent ordered the extra stuff yet. I just found out about Yatse remote app or whatever, gonna try that sh*t since its got some great reviews.. I guess all I'm needing is a wifi dongle and my external hdd..
 5 years ago '04        #146
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 KREW said:
Yeah I havent ordered the extra stuff yet. I just found out about Yatse remote app or whatever, gonna try that sh*t since its got some great reviews.. I guess all I'm needing is a wifi dongle and my external hdd..

yup im thinkin of the wifi dongle as well but im using the pi in my living room next to my router so idk if its even worth it spending the money when it works perfectly with the ethernet cable
 5 years ago '04        #147
finishim 80 heat pts80
space
space
$21,769 | Props total: 1 1
rPi work on Mac?
 5 years ago '07        #148
smj_724 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,474 | Props total: 710 710
 bluedawgalex said:
i find it weird that its not recognizing ur hdd. its recognizing mine

is yours a powered hard drive? or a hard drive that is powered by usb?

if so the pi usb port will not be able to power up the hard drive.

another option is to connect the hard drive to your computer and access it wirelessly with ur pi.

here is a tutorial i hope it helps.

im glad u got your pi workin though
Its powered by usb. My 2gb flash drive works because thats what i use to put the plugins on there. But cant get my 1TB with my movies to work.

I'll try out that link later on today.
 5 years ago '04        #149
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 smj_724 said:
Its powered by usb. My 2gb flash drive works because thats what i use to put the plugins on there. But cant get my 1TB with my movies to work.

I'll try out that link later on today.
oh ok yea a hdd powered by usb wont be picked up by the pi, thats what ive read.

try the links and i hope u get it working.
 5 years ago '04        #150
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 finishim said:
rPi work on Mac?
not sure what youre asking because rpi isnt a program.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video.

but if i understood wrong and u meant that if u can make the mac work with rpi as a file server then the answer is yes

most of us are using the pi to run raspbmc which is the pi's version of xbmc that is used in the apple tv 2 and is significantly much cheaper as atv 2's are going for almost $300 and the pi's are around $45
 5 years ago '04        #151
finishim 80 heat pts80
space
space
 bluedawgalex said:
not sure what youre asking because rpi isnt a program.

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video.

but if i understood wrong and u meant that if u can make the mac work with rpi as a file server then the answer is yes

most of us are using the pi to run raspbmc which is the pi's version of xbmc that is used in the apple tv 2 and is significantly much cheaper as atv 2's are going for almost $300 and the pi's are around $45
second part was what I was asking thanks
 5 years ago '04        #152
finishim 80 heat pts80
space
space
just noticed Apple TV 2s are going for $300, why is that????
 5 years ago '09        #153
Zaosyn 261 heat pts261
space
space
$14,072 | Props total: 1120 1120
Can't you just install XBMC on your computer, install these plug-ins to watch free movies and just use an HDMI cable to watch this sh*t on your TV? I use my 32" TV as a 2nd monitor 90% of the time.

Then again, I do understand the freedom of having a mini-android computer that is portable and can be used to travel with, but I think some of us were under the impression you needed an AppleTV or a raspberry PI in order to access these features which is not true (to my knowledge)
 5 years ago '05        #154
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$41,657 | Props total: 13768 13768
 Zaosyn said:
Can't you just install XBMC on your computer, install these plug-ins to watch free movies and just use an HDMI cable to watch this sh*t on your TV? I use my 32" TV as a 2nd monitor 90% of the time.

Then again, I do understand the freedom of having a mini-android computer that is portable and can be used to travel with, but I think some of us were under the impression you needed an AppleTV or a raspberry PI in order to access these features which is not true (to my knowledge)
You're right. I've used my TV as a second monitor sometimes and run XBMC on my computer.
 5 years ago '04        #155
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 finishim said:
second part was what I was asking thanks
oh ok cool

finishim said:
just noticed Apple TV 2s are going for $300, why is that????
theyre expensive because theyre jailbroken and very easy to use. before raspberry pi's and other devices came along this was the way to get everything to work.

the lag in jailbreak of the apple tv 3 made the price go up even more.

Zaosyn said:

yup u can do that as well, but the apple tv and the pi are just an easier way to have access to it. i know a lot of people that dont have laptops or dont wanna go thru the hassle of connecting their computer with an hdmi to their tv.

this just makes it so much easier. but yes to answer ur question it is possible. the atv and rPi is NOT mandatory to run xbmc.
 5 years ago '04        #156
KREW 25 heat pts25
space
space
I dont have a powered external hdd. I need to get a powered usb hub so it can connect to raspbmc right? Or is a phone charger going to be enough?

I dont really want to do a network share.
 5 years ago '04        #157
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 KREW said:
I dont have a powered external hdd. I need to get a powered usb hub so it can connect to raspbmc right? Or is a phone charger going to be enough?

I dont really want to do a network share.
a phone charger is enough. thats what i use and its been just fine. it has to be at least 5V to power the pi.

idk how else you'd be able to connect your hd though

if i find anything else about it i'll let u know, u can try the links i posted up there ^ and see if they help for now.
 5 years ago '05        #158
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
The true price of the Pi is around $90. You have to get the Pi itself, a case, USB mouse and keyboard, HDMI cable, USB charger and USB WiFi dongle.

Edit: Sh*t, I forgot you need an SD card too.

Last edited by Y.G.; 02-27-2013 at 09:28 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #159
bluedawgalex 3 heat pts
space
space
 Y.G. said:
The true price of the Pi is around $90. You have to get the Pi itself, a case, USB mouse and keyboard, HDMI cable, USB charger and USB WiFi dingle.
you truly only need a case.

most people have multiple hdmi cables, old usb chargers laying around and a keyboard and mouse are not needed at all, and if they DO wanna use them then they prob have old ones laying around as well and it can be controlled with ur phone.

all that is really extras except for the case

and even if does come out to $90 its still waaay cheaper than $300

to each their own though.

im just trying to help people if they have any questions and keep their costs down
 5 years ago '05        #160
Y.G. 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
 bluedawgalex said:
you truly only need a case.

most people have multiple hdmi cables, old usb chargers laying around and a keyboard and mouse are not needed at all, and if they DO wanna use them then they prob have old ones laying around as well and it can be controlled with ur phone.

all that is really extras except for the case

and even if does come out to $90 its still waaay cheaper than $300

to each their own though.

im just trying to help people if they have any questions and keep their costs down
I don't know anyone with multiple HDMI cables laying around. Most people have to buy their HDMI cables (or they come with their blu-ray player) so they're usually being used, not laying around.

Not everyone is going to have all of those things just "laying around." Especially things like WiFi dongles. It's still way cheaper than an Apple TV but people should know before hand that they won't just be paying $45 for the Pi.

Question: How do you control the Pi if you don't need a mouse and keyboard?
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
80 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
71 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
27 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
32 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
82 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
141 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy