News + Discussions relating to race (no racism)

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
120 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
104 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
54 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM         #861
Kitsch  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 3 years ago '09        #862
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,700 | Props total: 13246 13246
dumbass
 3 years ago '13        #863
solidsnake1864 7 heat pts
space
space
$14,390 | Props total: 69 69
 Lot17 said:
Hey man at least they got charged. Back in the day NOBODY gave a fu*k.

resunsward said:
that "paramedics" sh*t scares the fu*k out of me
grandmaster klan man or whoever it was that said that is talkin out his a.ss

Last edited by solidsnake1864; 09-03-2014 at 03:44 PM..
 3 years ago '04        #864
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,645 | Props total: 2651 2651
 acegutta22 said:
North east is way more racist than the south imo
It feels like that because of all the wealth but the hate is just about the same
 3 years ago '14        #865
Boston9084 
space
space
$4,987 | Props total: 704 704
 Boston617 said:
@

You mentioning me in this sh*t is getting retarded.

3 years ago '12        #866
Mattaveli 
space
space
$2,519 | Props total: 2139 2139
Whats going on in Boston?
 3 years ago '14        #867
Boston9084 
space
space
 Mattaveli said:
Whats going on in Boston?
Man idk
 3 years ago '14        #868
Boston9084 
space
space
 Boston617 said:
My bad though @

You probably felt like this when i mentioned you in this thread:

[pic - click to view]

Why would I feel like that

He covered up the ball good tho just saying

Last edited by Boston9084; 09-03-2014 at 06:30 PM..
 3 years ago '10        #869
Alerts 221 heat pts221
space
space
$15,316 | Props total: 5259 5259
 acegutta22 said:
North east is way more racist than the south imo
 3 years ago '04        #870
LightWeight 10 heat pts10
space
space
$3,375 | Props total: 1914 1914
Mannn there are so many low key racists out there it ain't even funny. And they hide their true identities well son! I was chilling in the break room at work some white dude saying ALL Muslims are terrorists. I was gonna check em on the behalf of my Ahkis but that still ain't gonna change his his dum a.ss view on life.
 3 years ago '11        #871
acclaimedknives 63 heat pts63
space
space
$9,402 | Props total: 1022 1022
has there ever been an incident of dudes buckin at kkk?
 3 years ago '04        #872
beeasy50 69 heat pts69
space
space
$778 | Props total: 112 112
WHAT MY BIKE HAS TAUGHT ME ABOUT WHITE PRIVILEGE
AUGUST 20, 2014

The phrase “white privilege” is one that rubs a lot of white people the wrong way. It can trigger something in them that shuts down conversation or at least makes them very defensive. (Especially those who grew up relatively less privileged than other folks around them). And I’ve seen more than once where this happens and the next move in the conversation is for the person who brought up white privilege to say, “The reason you’re getting defensive is because you’re feeling the discomfort of having your privilege exposed.”

I’m sure that’s true sometimes. And I’m sure there are a lot of people, white and otherwise, who can attest to a kind of a-ha moment or paradigm shift where they “got” what privilege means and they did realize they had been getting defensive because they were uncomfortable at having their privilege exposed. But I would guess that more often than not, the frustration and the shutting down is about something else. It comes from the fact that nobody wants to be a racist. And the move “you only think that because you’re looking at this from the perspective of privilege” or the more terse and confrontational “check your privilege!” kind of sound like an accusation that someone is a racist (if they don’t already understand privilege). And the phrase “white privilege” kind of sounds like, “You are a racist and there’s nothing you can do about it because you were born that way.”

And if this were what “white privilege” meant—which it is not—defensiveness and frustration would be the appropriate response. But privilege talk is not intended to make a moral a.ssessment or a moral claim about the privileged at all. It is about systemic imbalance. It is about injustices that have arisen because of the history of racism that birthed the way things are now. It’s not saying, “You’re a bad person because you’re white.” It’s saying, “The system is skewed in ways that you maybe haven’t realized or had to think about precisely because it’s skewed in YOUR favor.”

I am white. So I have not experienced racial privilege from the “under” side firsthand. But my children (and a lot of other people I love) are not white. And so I care about privilege and what it means for racial justice in our country. And one experience I have had firsthand, which has helped me to understand privilege and listen to privilege talk without feeling defensive, is riding my bike.

[pic - click to view]

Now, I know, it sounds a little goofy at first. But stick with me. Because I think that this analogy might help some white people understand privilege talk without feeling like they’re having their character attacked.

About five years ago I decide to start riding my bike as my primary mode of transportation. As in, on the street, in traffic. Which is enjoyable for a number of reasons (exercise, wind in yer face, the cool feeling of going fast, etc.) But the thing is, I don’t live in Portland or Minneapolis. I live in the capital city of the epicenter of the auto industry: Lansing, MI. This is not, by any stretch, a bike-friendly town. And often, it is down-right dangerous to be a bike commuter here.

Now sometimes its dangerous for me because people in cars are just blatantly a**holes to me. If I am in the road—where I legally belong—people will yell at me to get on the sidewalk. If I am on the sidewalk—which is sometimes the safest place to be—people will yell at me to get on the road. People in cars think its funny to roll down their window and yell something right when they get beside me. Or to splash me on purpose. People I have never met are angry at me for just being on a bike in “their” road and they let me know with colorful language and other acts of aggression.

I can imagine that for people of color life in a white-majority context feels a bit like being on a bicycle in midst of traffic. They have the right to be on the road, and laws on the books to make it equitable, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are on a bike in a world made for cars. Experiencing this when I’m on my bike in traffic has helped me to understand what privilege talk is really about.

Now most people in cars are not intentionally aggressive toward me. But even if all the jerks had their licenses revoked tomorrow, the road would still be a dangerous place for me. Because the whole transportation infrastructure privileges the automobile. It is born out of a history rooted in the auto industry that took for granted that everyone should use a car as their mode of transportation. It was not built to be convenient or economical or safe for me.

And so people in cars—nice, non-aggressive people—put me in danger all the time because they see the road from the privileged perspective of a car. E.g., I ride on the right side of the right lane. Some people fail to change lanes to pass me (as they would for another car) or even give me a wide berth. Some people fly by just inches from me not realizing how scary/dangerous that is for me (like if I were to swerve to miss some roadkill just as they pass). These folks aren’t aggressive or hostile toward me, but they don’t realize that a pothole or a build up of gravel or a broken bottle, which they haven’t given me enough room to avoid–because in a car they don’t need to be aware of these things–could send me flying from my bike or cost me a bent rim or a flat tire.

So the semi driver who rushes past throwing gravel in my face in his hot wake isn’t necessarily a bad guy. He could be sitting in his cab listening to Christian radio and thinking about nice things he can do for his wife. But the fact that “the system” allows him to do those things instead of being mindful of me is a privilege he has that I don’t. (I have to be hyper-aware of him).

This is what privilege is about. Like drivers, nice, non-aggressive white people can move in the world without thinking about the “potholes” or the “gravel” that people of color have to navigate, or how things that they do—not intending to hurt or endanger anyone—might actually be making life more difficult or more dangerous for a person of color.

Nice, non-aggressive drivers that don’t do anything at all to endanger me are still privileged to pull out of their driveway each morning and know that there are roads that go all the way to their destination. They don’t have to wonder if there are bike lanes and what route they will take to stay safe. In the winter, they can be certain that the snow will be plowed out of their lane into my lane and not the other way around.
 3 years ago '07        #873
Mr. Moses 
space
space
$4,418 | Props total: 6 6
Must be nice to be privileged enough to think riding a bike on a road gives you some kind of new insight on what it's like to live in this white man's world as a non-white.

fu*king f*ggots
 3 years ago '14        #874
Sphynx 150 heat pts150
space
space
$5,226 | Props total: 7830 7830
This belongs in the

Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more Section

3 years ago '04        #875
beeasy50 69 heat pts69
space
space
 Sphynx said:
This belongs in the

Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more Section

I see you've done a lot of investigative research in your 3 months here...

3 years ago '04        #876
beeasy50 69 heat pts69
space
space
 Mr. Moses said:
Must be nice to be privileged enough to think riding a bike on a road gives you some kind of new insight on what it's like to live in this white man's world as a non-white.

fu*king f*ggots
 3 years ago '06        #877
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895

[pic - click to view]

A white school guard in Syracuse was suspended this week after parents of an African-American child with Down syndrome accused him of using their son for a racist joke.

According to the Syracuse Post-Standard, 12-year-old Brandon Pearson’s family accompanied him on his first day at Huntington K-8 School on Tuesday.

While the family was taking photos in a school hallway, a white security guard stopped them.

“Wait, wait, wait, hold on,” the guard allegedly said before he lifted the child’s hands above his head and placed them on the wall in what mother Brandiss Pearson said was a frisking position.

Brandiss Pearson recalled the guard laughing, and saying, “Now take the picture, he’s in the right position.”

Brandon did not understand what was going on, but the family was shocked.

“I was shaking, just like fire-breathing mad,” Brandon Pearson recalled. “All he saw was a little black boy who needed to a.ssume the position.”

On Wednesday, the mother said she was in tears when she saw the guard again, and confronted him. He told her that the incident was “a funny joke,” she said.

Syracuse City School District spokesperson Michael Henesey confirmed on Wednesday that the guard had been suspended pending the outcome of an investigation. Both Henesey and Brandiss Pearson declined to identify the employee.

“We are in receipt of the complaint filed against one of our school sentries,” a statement from Henesey said. “The school district has begun an internal investigation into the alleged complaint. The school sentry in question has been placed on administrative leave while the district conducts the investigation. We will not be releasing any more information at this time.”
 3 years ago '06        #878
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895

[pic - click to view]

Last summer after a jury found George Zimmerman not guilty for the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, a poll of Americans revealed something remarkable. While about two-third of blacks continued to believe the criminal justice system is biased, just 25 percent of whites did, signifying the greatest chasm between whites’ and blacks’ perceptions of bias since Gallup began polling in the early 1990s. That gap also translated into views about the verdict. Eighty-five percent of blacks viewed the verdict acquitting Zimmerman for murder as wrong, while 54 percent of whites said the verdict was correct.

These disparate perceptions of racism in the criminal justice system can play as much of a role in the racial tensions exposed by the shooting of Michael Brown as disproportion itself, according to a new report by the Sentencing Project. It means that whites are more likely to attribute disparate outcomes such as long sentences or high arrest rates solely to individuals’ own mistakes rather than to racism in the system. And it may be an explanation for why whites are more supportive of punitive policies like Three Strikes laws and the death penalty, even though blacks are significantly more likely to be the victims of crimes:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

With momentum for reform after the shooting of Michael Brown, the Sentencing Project’s report compiles and interprets two decades of data on racial perceptions of the criminal justice system that “have bolstered harsh and biased criminal justice policies.” In addition to noting disparate perceptions of justice between blacks ans whites, the report also highlights significant data that whites over-estimate the amount, severity, and nature of crimes committed by minorities. While some minority groups do make up a disproportionate percentage of both crime victims and arrestees, whites tend to think African Americans have committed a proportion of crime 20-30 percent higher than reflected in crime statistics. And a number of studies have exhibited the implicit bias that breeds a.ssumptions African Americans are more likely to be dangerous, and are more likely to have a gun. “Even after accounting for differing crime rates and other measures of disorder, researchers have found that the ‘percentage [of] young black men is one of the best predictors of the perceived severity of neighborhood crime’,” the report explains.

“Together, these studies reveal that even white Americans who denounce racism still hold unconscious and unintentional racial biases, a.ssociating people of color with criminality,” the report explains. “By demonstrating that race distorts perceptions of risk, this research sheds light on the circumstances leading to the deaths of unarmed men and women including Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Oscar Grant, Trayvon Martin, Renisha McBride, and Michael Brown.”
 3 years ago '07        #879
Mr. Moses 
space
space
$4,418 | Props total: 6 6
54% of white folks thought Zimmerman shoulda walked scott free. White folks ain't sh*t.
 3 years ago '06        #880
LeMar G 241 heat pts241
space
space
$15,564 | Props total: 35694 35694
Perhaps a history of "fair trials" caused this gap?
Home         

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
79 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
278 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
95 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Hugh Jackman Clarifies Disney-Fox Merger & Wolverine Joining the Avenge..
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
196 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy