Is the music industry over saturated? [Interesting article]

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
191 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
219 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
135 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
81 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #21
Chalky 303 heat pts303
space
space
$27,390 | Props total: 17557 17557
 BluCupShawty said:
so we gonna act like it's not A LOT of wack a.ss "rappers" gettin shine?

exactly n*ggas like big sean, kid ink, tyga and dricky grahm, shouldn't even exist
 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM         #22
Walkerboy86 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Str8 outta Cuse said:
A perfect example of over saturation can be seen every single day on Datpiff.com. Artists are releasing new mixtapes(pretty much albums) every 6 months at least. In order to do this they can't pay too much for production or they will go deep into the red. So all these new producers that use fruity loops and computer programs to make the same trap sounding beats over and over have appeared.

Ace Hood's new mixtape literally has the same beat remixed 15 times. It takes these new producers like 15 minutes to make beats now because of the new computer programs and all they need to do is get some 808's, synths, and some cheap sounding drum patterns and they have a hit.

Then when an artist comes out with that rare song that uses a real beat without all the 808's and sh*t, all these fans call the beat wack because "it's 2013 and no one is checking for that sh*t".
I hate when n*ggas start talking ab beat making and always throw fruity loops in the equation. A beat is a beat, it dnt matter hw that mfu*ka gets made. Its legendary producers that made whack beats that didnt involve fruity loops. A lot of yall n*ggas be sounding like producers thats been doing this beat sh*t for a long time but was never given a chance to shine
 5 years ago '06        #23
esvi 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,262 | Props total: 828 828
to be honest, i was about to post the same kinda thread a couple of weeks ago
couldn't agree more with you!

my idea, is that i'm afraid that Hip Hop went full circle
well at least for the general audience

seriously, I'm ashamed to say I listen to hip hop to other people
because, to them Hip Hop is nicki minaj, Lil Wayne
easy pun, money, no message, club beats, women

when hip hop was built on the opposite

I know, we shouldn't give a fu*k about what people think about hip hop
but indeed, it affects the genre, whether we like or not
I don't listen to this hip pop trash

But it's a shame, that for general audience
Hip Hop is a.ssimilated to Oversaturation and Sellout hip pop artists that have nothing to say

Overstaturation really degraded the image of Hip Hop as a music genre
and it's content has evolved to another kind of contempt

before, it was violence related, ghetto related, things like that
and the general public wasn't always embracing the message
partially because it reflected a reality that nobody wanted to acknowledge

now the contempt, is based, on the fact that there is no content

fu*k this sh*t.

I wish people knew what hip hop really is, and that there is artist like sean p, techn9ne, k!ller mike

that's why I was so happy with the Kendrick's commercial success

it gave me hope
 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM         #24
varcitykid 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it is kinda saturated.. No1 has their own lanes anymore. Everyone starts off making one genre of music, then merge to another genre which alot of times their old fans dont agree with and they end up losing them. Then you have everyone following eachother b/c everyone's just trying to get a hot song so w/e ppl do that is hot, they tend to try and follow suit . That goes as far as song, the way eachother dress, even slang. its just annoying
 5 years ago '07        #25
jack_napier 
space
space
$3,564 | Props total: 53 53
Me and my boy were talking about this a while ago. We both were in agreement that rap/hip hop in general is over saturated. A rapper blows up, puts their boys/clique on, starts a label, signs rappers and the cycle continues. I'm not against it, can't knock the hustle but it makes it harder to weed out the bad music from the good. A lot of trash music gets made, throwaway tracks.
 5 years ago '11        #26
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,810 | Props total: 1194 1194
 ballergenetics said:
I can't fu*kin believe he of all people said that...
It's like Kingpin posting a positive comment about a rapper not named Pac or Em
 5 years ago '11        #27
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,810 | Props total: 1194 1194
 GameTheory said:
I don't HAVE to like someone. Like I said, I give credit when its due.

Kendrick/Cole aren't BAD artists, they're just incredibly overrated and I don't have to hold my opinion of that.

But what you WONT hear me say is for them to never make music again.

I support their right to creativity, but if i'm not impressed then I'm free to share that.

In as much as there are "yes men" on these boards, there needs to be those who are free to share their criticism.
Quit bolding your post like you actually bring up a good point.
I honestly dont see how you can think Big Sean is a great rapper and Kendrick/Cole aren't.

fu*k outta here with that bullsh*t, everyone knows you're hating or you just wouldnt post. Why listen to an artist you dont like?
 5 years ago '06        #28
frequent23 
space
space
$1,084 | Props total: 82 82
Of course its saturated because these days being non talented and non lyrical is being accepted
 5 years ago '10        #29
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,866 | Props total: 13661 13661
@ the excuses being made for non rappin a.ss n*ggas/bi*ches and their sh*tty lyrics. "they're in their lane" FOH Gay/Homo rap bout to have it's own lane soon, go ride that lane as well.
 5 years ago '04        #30
Zirov 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,460 | Props total: 425 425
"The world doesn't need more music. I don't really care about nowness and newness, so I'm not that proud of being alive in 2012. I feel like it's OK to just pretend that dubstep doesn't exist. Even Animal Collective sounds a little bit crass to me. I just don't like the sound of digital technology. There are frequencies on a Lady Gaga song that don't exist in my music." Unknown Mortal Orchestra's Ruban Nielson

a bunch of other artists, of all genres, pretty much saying there is wayyyyyy to much muzik these days....
 5 years ago '06        #31
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,366 | Props total: 4639 4639
I blame technology
 5 years ago '06        #32
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,366 | Props total: 4639 4639
 DominicanLou said:
I blame technology
Oh and also, rap music is too commercialized right now...what I mean by that is, it's too "successful" as an art form that it's been manipulated and r*ped and took advantage of because people who really don't care about it as much as you and I realize there's money to be made in it.

Then you look at how relatively easy it is to get into the game. A lot of these cookie-cutter rappers are just trying to follow a model that they see works. Brilliance and innovation in hip-hop is not often rewarded as highly as doing what everybody else is doing (and getting lucky).

Hip-hop at one point was on some "rebel" sh*t. Not it's used to sell cars and men's deodorant.

The cookie-cutter rappers cannot afford (literally and figuratively) to break the status quo while those that do break barriers creatively can afford to or just dont give a fu*k.
 5 years ago '11        #33
panamaican 
space
space
space
$937 | Props total: 1303 1303
It's not so much over saturated as it's repetitive.

But that's what's happening in lots of industries, not just rap and not just music. The internet has made it incredibly easy for anyone to put out a product, whether it's music, books or computer programs. That abundance of product has led to shrinking profit margins as comsumers are no longer being consolidated. This means that for those who actually spend big money promoting something, there's a greater risk that they won't see a positive return on their investment. Those people are responding in the only way they know how - they're reducing risk by only promoting what's already popular and looking to hit singles...fu*k a home run.

To make it just about rap: Since every Yung Somebody can easily fill the internet with music and blow up overnight, rap fans are spread thin. That means that the big money - the labels (like it or not) - can't guarantee that millions of rap fans will be waitig for the next great thing to drop. Since producing a great album costs money, they look for artists that can produce the kind of music that they can quickly sell for a minimum profit and hope to make their money through volume. Sort of like it's better to have 20 artists doing 50k sales each than risk hoping for 1 artist to do 1 million in sales.

It's the same for everyone. So everyone in the game is making the same type of music because it's guaranteed to get them that 50k in sales which lets them east long enough to gain that next set of 50k in sales.

Rappers are working the 9 to 5 version of the music industry. You don't get rich working at Foot Locker but it's safer than quitting and hoping that your self-run shoe store blows up.
 5 years ago '10        #34
ARosary 47 heat pts47
space
space
$9,780 | Props total: 2878 2878
Its quite simple…..QUALITY….is whats missing & people keep supporting the quantity of trash more or less. Producers need to release cd’s if all people is checking for is beats/production. The art of lyricism & being original is lost. Fickle a.ss wanna-be-in-tune & in-the-crowd listeners like all that catchy sh*t until the amen choir denounces it, then they say its trash until the next corny sh*t is marketed that most want to cookie cut elementary lyrics to apply to their facebook statuses & tweets of ignorance & the ‘joneses’
 5 years ago '10        #35
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,866 | Props total: 13661 13661
 ARosary said:
Its quite simple…..QUALITY….is whats missing & people keep supporting the quantity of trash more or less. Producers need to release cd’s if all people is checking for is beats/production. The art of lyricism & being original is lost. Fickle a.ss wanna-be-in-tune & in-the-crowd listeners like all that catchy sh*t until the amen choir denounces it, then they say its trash until the next corny sh*t is marketed that most want to cookie cut elementary lyrics to apply to their facebook statuses & tweets of ignorance & the ‘joneses’
trill spill homie
 5 years ago '06        #36
Down-N-H-Town 6 heat pts
space
space
$3,629 | Props total: 602 602
Yeah basically everybody hit it on the head. Rap is a young man's game for the most part and also the most simplistic form of art. He is also correct that we live in the "Now." Ross may even have a hard time selling records because he is based on trends and hits. I like his rhyme scheme, but unless he has a hit, people will not check for him. You don't have to have talent to become a successful rapper. R&B, Rock, Country, Pop usually requires some type of talent. That's why these artists can take time away to produce something great because people admire their talents, not just their music. Literally, anybody can be a rapper.

You can look at people like Drake and he doesn't have to continue to come out with mixtape after mixtape because he is talented. He's not a trendy rapper.
 5 years ago '04        #37
getyagameup 24 heat pts24
space
space
$4,044 | Props total: 27 27
hell yea the market is oversaturated.....and it's pathetic. sh*t is money motivated. n*ggas are trying to stay relevant and release music constantly so that people will ask for them, go to their shows, support their brand...to make a buck. money has ruined everything in this country and hip hop is no different. everybody is chasing a dollar and in this industry you have to stay in the mix to get recognition.

all these n*ggas that sold drugs should go back to that cuz most of them can't fu*king rap or rap about some bullsh*t. all these club songs for dancing at the club.....strip club anthems for strippers....sh*t doesn't get you thinking like some rap used to. most people wanna hear the simple sh*t. the public is to blame too for some of this. until they start requiring better music from these "artists" then we're stuck with all this bullsh*t.

a dude like Justin T. can do 2 albums in ten years cuz 1) he's chasing movie paper. 2) son is so dope that he can do that. son is really talented. not too many mcs can do that. maybe a handful of rappers but who really??? jay? yeezy? nas? i'm sorry. like i said, all these new gimmicky dudes are just lame and the more they saturate the market with the commercial, just get something out there sh*t, the more the consumers will suffer from not getting great music.
 5 years ago '05        #38
goldgrill910 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,837 | Props total: 105 105
i think the issue now as far as it being saturated is the tolerance for the musical fu*kery on the air waves.
it was a time when certain n*ggas that's on and popular couldn't exist in rap because n*ggas wouldn't have supported that. in any type of way.

them bars mattered. producers weren't chasing each other's sound. for those that do...remember back when swizz beatz sh*t started to sound repetitive? before busta started calling him the 'new improved swizz beatz'? that wasn't so bad because that was HIS sound.

now? everybody and they mama re-used that milli baseline chasing bangledesh. every n*gga and their close kin tried to sound like lex luger. now n*ggas is going coo coo for that young chop sound.

presently, too many things outside of the actual music keep n*ggas relevant and accepted in the music industry.

swag. a n*gga court cases. a n*gga's crew/gang/affiliation. twitter fukery. etc.

all that aside, rap music saturated with too many n*ggas trying to sound like other n*ggas. i purposely didn't name names. yall n*ggas know....
 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM         #39
Tha Juggernaut6 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ive been reading everybody's comments and 1 thing i think that some of yall are missing is the money factor. in hip hop, music no longer makes money, so why spend time on making quality music? hip hop, as a business in 2013, has almost NOTHING 2 DO WITH THE MUSIC outside of shows. headphone lines make money (dr.dre, ludacris, 50 cent etc..), liquor makes money (ciroc) and of course TV SHOWS make money (love and hip hop). i hate 2 say it but things will only get worst from here because making quality music is just not that important anymore.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
45 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
47 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
67 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
40 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
160 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
189 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
141 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
21 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy