Jan 12 - How Tide laundry detergent is being used as hard currency by drug addicts

most viewed right now
Article inside Weapons, Drugs Retrieved During Chris Brown Standoff
233 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 Video inside Chris Brown accuser says she didn't mean it!
25 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside [BREAKING NEWS] SWAT teams on the way to Chris Brown's home:
144 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Fatherless Kevin Durant, gets disrespected by Russell Westbrook Commercial
47 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '04        #1
6403 pageviews
44 comments

pocketchange 54 heat pts54
space
space
$8,031 | Props total: 2235 2235
Jan 12 - How Tide laundry detergent is being used as hard currency by drug addicts

[pic - click to view]

Police have finally discovered why Tide laundry detergent is fast becoming one of the most-stolen item from shops and grocery stores in recent months - drug addicts are selling it or exchanging it to buy crack.

The pricey detergent - which has been America's number one since it was first released in 1946 - is known as 'liquid gold' on the streets, with a 150-ounce bottle going for either $5 cash or $10 of weed or crack cocaine.

In grocery stores, it sells at upwards of $20 per 150-ounce bottle, about 50 per cent more than the average liquid detergent so is easily sold on to privately-owned retail stores for a profit.

Police first reported the strange crime wave sweeping the nation in March of last year and were baffled as to the sudden surge in theft of the highly-recognizable brand.

An investigation headed by Sergeant Aubrey Thompson in Maryland found some explanation as to why.

The bright orange jugs became ad hoc street currency due to the fact it was such a popular house-hold name - whatever the income - and people were not prepared to forego buying the brand even in recessionary times because it was a.ssociated with quality.

'It doesnít matter where the clothes come from, if you wash them with Tide, they do have almost this prestige wash to them,' said Maru Kopelowicz, a global creative director at Saatchi & Saatchi.

During his investigation, Sgt Thompson found that the detergent was flying off the shelves.

Speaking about one grocery store in suburban Bowie, he told New York Magazine: 'They were losing $10,000 to $15,000 a month, with people just taking it off the shelves.'

More...

Lottery winner 'was fatally poisoned with cyanide ONE DAY after officials cut him a check for his $1million ticket'
'Which ice cream company wants to take away your a.ssault rifles?' NRA publishes list of anti-gun organizations and celebrities

Detergent made the National Retail Federationís list of most-targeted items last year for the first time ever.

Joseph LaRocca, founder of the trade group RetailPartners, who helped compile the report said: 'Tide was specifically called out.'

Also, stealing the detergent garners a low penalty conviction if thieves are caught - as opposed to mugging someone in the street, for example, or breaking into someone's home.

'They are smart. They are creative. They want high reward and low risk,' Sgt Thompson said. 'Theft convictions can come with a maximum fifteen-year prison sentence, but the penalty for shoplifting is often just a small fine, with no jail time.

'Itís the new dope. You can get richer and have less chance of doing jail time.'
A study of about a month's worth of security tapes showed Costanzo making four to five visits a week for the product, among other items, from January 1 to February 7

A study of about a month's worth of security tapes showed Costanzo making four to five visits a week for the product, among other items, from January 1 to February 7

Unlike other commonly-stolen items such as smartphones or electronioc devices, bottles of the cannot be traced, and they are not locked up but freely available to take off the shelves as they are so popular.

Sundar Raman, the marketing director of Procter & Gambleís North American fabric-care division, told New York Magazine of the surge in Tide thefts: 'Itís unfortunate that people are stealing Tide, and I donít think itís appropriate at all, but the one thing it reminds me of is that the value of the brand has stayed consistent.'

From the East Coast to the West, some CVS drug stores have begun locking up their detergent while some cities have set up special task forces to tackle the recent spree.

Last year, a Minnesota man was arrested after allegedly stealing more than $25,000 worth of the product.

Patrick Costanzo, 53, was arrested in West St. Paul in February after police say he loaded up his shopping cart over a period of 15 months with the cleaner, wheeling it past workers.

A study of about a month's worth of security tapes showed Costanzo making four to five visits a week for the product, among other items, from January 1 to February 7.

'Itís like he put the pieces in there like Tetris pieces,' said investigator Sean Melville of the West St. Paul police to ABC news.

'He maximized that cart, thereís no wasted space,' he said after watching the store's surveillance footage.

'We donít have any insight as to why the phenomenon is happening, but it is certainly unfortunate,' said Procter and Gamble spokeswoman Sarah Pasquinucci said in March.
Read more:

Read more:
[pic - click to view]

Grime wave: Surge in theft of Tide laundry detergent which is being used as hard currency to buy crack on the street | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

44 comments for "Jan 12 - How Tide laundry detergent is being used as hard currency by drug addicts"

4 years ago '06        #2
Drumatic50 13 heat pts13
space
space
$5,233 | Props total: 374 374
Really, slinging soap for dope? People man....
 4 years ago '04        #3
pocketchange 54 heat pts54
space
space
$8,031 | Props total: 2235 2235
 Drumatic50 said:
Really, slinging soap for dope? People man....
The first dude they caught had 97k in his bank account.
 4 years ago '06        #4
Drumatic50 13 heat pts13
space
space
$5,233 | Props total: 374 374
 pocketchange said:
The first dude they caught had 97k in his bank account.
Crazy
 4 years ago '06        #5
RAZAH CUTS 5399 heat pts5399
space
space
$50,122 | Props total: 6994 6994
fu*kin laundry detergent is getting slung like weight for drugs now.. Lol..
 4 years ago '05        #6
monrowe 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$10,806 | Props total: 158 158
this was a story a year ago... i read somewhere but i get ti but i dont get it .. but its kinda ingenious ..
 4 years ago '08        #7
606robin 22 heat pts22
space
space
$4,559 | Props total: 1200 1200

[video - click to view]

Your welcome
 4 years ago '07        #8
Lex Lossis 77 heat pts77
space
space
$25,245 | Props total: 398 398
 4 years ago '08        #9
606robin 22 heat pts22
space
space
$4,559 | Props total: 1200 1200
 Borealis said:
I understand milk, but soap?
Milks shelf life (1-2 weeks)

Tide (3-5 months??)

Milk (2-3 dollars)

Tide (8-15) depending on size

4 years ago '05        #10
tokinjohn 1472 heat pts1472
space
space
$8,168 | Props total: 16222 16222
Yoooo this is real n*gga came to my job 3wks ago with that same bottle.. there must be a crack head union wtf who comes up with this sh*t
 4 years ago '10        #11
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$13,768 | Props total: 2927 2927
You buying detergent from a crack head?
 4 years ago '07        #12
Gortexmethod 
space
space
$585 | Props total: 37 37
i used to know people that would steal baby formula an sell it to the bodegas
 4 years ago '12        #13
Carlton Black 1809 heat pts1809
space
space
$12,251 | Props total: 10996 10996
 Nautilus O said:
You buying detergent from a crack head?
i'm sayin' tho....
 4 years ago '05        #14
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,813 | Props total: 21 21
wtf my wife used to do that couponing sh*t and we have literally like 20-25 bottles of tide in the laundry room. im sittin on a gold mine, i better get a gun
 4 years ago '07        #15
hoopsguru 
space
space
space
$324 | Props total: 0 0
what about GAIN or ARM & HAMMER??
 4 years ago '05        #16
lil_boosie 2 heat pts
space
space
$613 | Props total: 3 3
who the fu*k is buying tide like that. This cant be life
 4 years ago '04        #17
Adwerdz 178 heat pts178
space
space
$26,100 | Props total: 2858 2858
sh*t i would mind buying detergent for the low from a crackhead, detergent high as fu*k
 01-12-2013, 09:13 PM         #18
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I woulda thought that Oxy Clean would be the real dope homey.
Got some chili on one my grey sweaters one time. Mixed that Oxy Clean with the ALL, sh*t came out looking brand spankin' new!
Crackies need to step their detergent games up.
 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM         #19
recklesss 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Where can I find these crackheads? That's a deal.
 4 years ago '05        #20
Sub Crazy 14 heat pts14
space
space
$12,982 | Props total: 312 312
I remember buying a big bottle for 5 bucks from a crackhead on the metro.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside How to tell if you're Brainwashed
220 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bri. drake
34 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside aint no c**chie like pregnant c**chie "Blac" Chyna edition
56 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jasmine.Ashly looks fine and crazy
31 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Aug 29 - Colin Kapernick: Hillary Clinton Would Be In Prison If She Was..
125 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Ben Affleck tweeted this guy named Dea....
31 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Teyana Taylors Body Is Crazy...
71 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside These 2 sentences will give you the creeps
178 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy