Kevin Hart X-mad card
33 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
72 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
103 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
242 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
6237 pageviews
123 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
DaOmega_1's top 13 BEST Films of 2012

I know it's already 2013, but better late than never. So, after much thought, I finally have my list finished. And, it was kinda hard. Mostly because it's been such a strong year, specifically for genre films, and science fiction. With an unusually strong year quality wise, I found it hard to boil down my favorite films to a top 10 list. So, instead, I upped my list to 13 films this year. I'm sure that more than a few of my choices will be controversial, but when is it not? So, let's take a look at what I consider some of my favorite films of 2012...

(NOTE: Zero Dark Thirty is not on the list because, technical, it did not receive an official release in 2012.)

V/H/S has the distinction, for me, of being the single most entertaining horror film I've seen all year. I had a blast when I saw it, and couldn't remember the last time a horror film had this much of a sense of fun & style to it. So, we have the obvious found footage concept given new life through the anthology style. As soon as the first short film "Amateur Night" started, I knew I was in for something special. Not only is the blood/gore/nudity there in copious amounts, what surprises me the most is that there is a subtle thematic thread that runs through all the films. And, smartly, the filmmakers all have a good sense of pacing, and have original ideas that translate wonderfully in short-form. Really, VHS is a film that the moment I start thinking about it, I involuntarily just smile.

Daniel Day Lewis is the a f*cking god when it comes to acting. I had my doubts when I first saw the trailer for Lincoln, but watching the whole product, I see how he inhabits a role, and commits completely. But, it would all be for naught if the film surrounding him hadn't been so beautifully crafted, but it is. And, to me, this should be Spielberg's apology for "War Horse" (because, really... f*ck that movie). I mean, the screenplay has just amazingly written dialogue, and the film has an immaculate feel to it. Like, it FEELS important. The cinematography is some of Janusz Kamiński's best work since "Minority Report". It's a film that feels vital in a way that Spielberg hasn't been able to do in what feels like years.

[pic - click to view]

11). PROMETHEUS
Ridley Scott's complicated & controversial "Prometheus" remains the most hotly debated film of the year among film buffs. As for where I stand, I think Prometheus represents a return to the mature & adult school of science fiction, rather than just spaceships, aliens, and otherworldly creatures. Trust me, all that stuff is there. But, honestly it feels very mature, and doesn't hold your hand. The movie is hard. It makes you ask questions, and it doesn't give you any answers. It makes you figure out those answers for yourself. Never mind the fact that, on a technical level, the movie is f*cking gorgeous. The actors approach the material seriously, with a seriously jaw-dropping performance from Michael Fassbender that unofficially acts as an anchor to the proceedings. I can understand how thematically, the movie will divide folks COMPLETELY, but with this level of filmmaking beauty, it CANNOT and should not be denied.

[pic - click to view]

10). DREDD 3D
Well, f*ck yeah. Dredd restores the original bleak vision of the future that was missing from Sylvester Stallone's take on Joseph Dredd. Karl Urban has clearly dedicated himself to the role and the idea of who Judge Dredd is. So much that, in fact, one of the distinguishing factors is that he never EVER takes his helmet off. Also, what distinguishes this film from so many other comic book adaptations is how decidedly unhollywood it is. There is no love story, no tragic origin story, no exploited over-s3xualized females to appease the teenager boys, and no sense of hope. What we get is a bleak, grim, darkly humorous, and quietly intelligent film that kicks tons of a.ss as just an action movie. However, what works best about this film is how it brings attention to the social implications of the judge's existence, and how it does while never explicitly spoon-feeding it to the audience. It says more by saying less. To compare it to Jazz, it's all about the notes it doesn't play. It doesn't wimp out, it doesn't slow down, and it doesn't let the audience off easy. It is boundary-pushing non-mainstream cinema at it's finest, and it's a shame more people didn't see it. This easily could've been the start of an awesome franchise.

(Note: the next two movies are interchangeable with each other on my list. Neither is better than the other, to me. So take that as you will.)

[pic - click to view]

9). THE AVENGERS
Well, whatever shenanigans Marvel Studios had up its sleeve paid off. Because "The Avengers" is awesome. Nothing more, nothing less. Joss Whedon so clearly understands these characters. I got to see Tony Stark & Bruce Banner have a banter together, or see Black Widow f!ght side-by-side with Captain America, or see Hulk f!ght Thor... This movie is more than fan-service. It clearly understands the character dynamics, and reveals a little bit of the soul that surrounds them. Whedon's script is clever, unexpectedly funny, and very smart. When they think of fun summer blockbusters, this is the film they should be referencing. This is the film Hollywood should be making when it comes to summer blockbusters. Studios, take notes.

[pic - click to view]

8). THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
Christopher Nolan's ambitious trilogy comes to a close with this supreme epic film. In what is clearly the most emotional of the trilogy, Nolan caps off Bruce Wayne's story arc with Bane as the main adversary. This film, when it gets the chance, manages to eschew genre conventions, and tell a more vital, more mature story. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman is great, and makes me want to see more of that character in this universe. What I enjoyed so much about the film is the sense of finality to it. It feels like a bookend to the trilogy. It takes us back to where we were when we first saw Bruce Wayne in that prison in Batman Begins, and takes us through the ringer in exploring the psyche of an emotionally damaged man, and how the damage he causes himself is now seemingly the only thing that can save him. We've all known that Nolan is a great filmmaker. But, more than just being a great filmmaker, he proves himself as an incredibly smart filmmaker as well.

[pic - click to view]

7). THE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
David O. Russell has a natural gift for writing & directing scenes that feel so real, you forget you're watching a movie. He first demonstrated this with "The f!ghter". Now, "The Silver Linings Playbook" demonstrates this even more thoroughly. We follow Bradley Cooper's character, a guy who, after his wife leaves him, falls into a seriously self-destructive place psychologically, and ends up having to move back in with his parents. He ends up meeting Jennifer Lawrence, who may be even more damaged than him, and together they try and work through their issues. But, what could've been a f*cking travesty in the hands of a lesser director turns into a startlingly honest portrait of dysfunction & obsession. Nearly every character demonstrates some sort of obsession, and the movie explores these obsessions in numerous different ways. Not only is the movie soulful, honest, and unflinching... It's also hilarious. David O. Russell is quickly becoming one of the best directors working today. And "The Silver Linings Playbook" demonstrates why.

123 comments for "DaOmega_1's top 13 BEST Films of 2012"

5 years ago '05        #2
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space

[pic - click to view]

6). MOONRISE KINGDOM
Wes Anderson has made one of his best films to date with "Moonrise Kingdom". It's a funny, touching, and endlessly fascinating look at childhood love. And, Anderson has a stellar cast to bring that love story forward. The two young leads, a slightly-sociopathic boy, and a slightly-withdrawn girl, run off to live in the woods together while our seriously jaded adults try to put a stop to the quite frankly innocent feelings taking place. The movie just goes, from the very beginning it's rolling, and never feels slow. It's fun throughout, and every performance is great (my personal favorite being Edward Norton as the hapless Scout Master searching for the young boy with the rest of his troupe). If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Looper rules. Plain & simple. You know, I should just stop there. But, perhaps I should explain WHY it rules. First of all, Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Bruce Willis essentially play a bunch of as*holes. They are indeed both selfish, c*cky, stubborn as*holes, and the movie never makes any half-hearted attempts to make us like either of them. It is only until we realize the true implications of what might happen if one person succeeds and the other fails that we start to take sides. BUT, when we realize the price of that success, we start to examine the moral questions with what that means. This is a morally ambiguous film, and that's what I absolutely ADORE about it. It doesn't hand you answers, or easily give you the answer of how you should feel about what's going on. It's difficult, heady, and moral complex. The actual science fiction of it is not used to make a comment about "science", but rather is used to explore to unlikable characters, and the struggle between them. And then, there's that ending... an ending that not only wraps up the emotional struggle, but also forces our selfish douchebag main character to do the only truly selfless act in the entire movie. And, that act not only redeems that character, but wipes away any untied continuity problems so neatly, that they might as well have not even been there in the first place. So, yeah. Looper rules. Plain & simple.

[pic - click to view]

4). BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
Beasts of the Southern Wild is a piece of film that feels like outsider art. A lot of the performers here are NOT trained actors. But, that is precisely what makes the film work so well. Unlike certain films that have non-actors performing badly (ahem, Act of Valor), this film gives actors so much great material to work with, and it makes the performances feel so much more naturalistic as a result. I consider it a post-apocalyptic fairy tale. And, a great one at that. One can't help but feel the glow that radiates from this film.

[pic - click to view]

3). CLOUD ATLAS
I absolutely cannot believe that I saw this film on a few "worst of 2012" lists. Well, f*ck those critics, this film is an incredibly ambitious & ballsy film that deserves every bit of praise it gets. First of all, this movie is conceptually BRILLIANT. It tells each of it's stories so well, you never feel lost, you never feel confused, and it NEVER feels long. Secondly, the acting is GREAT from everyone in this film. To think that each actor had to play a 6 different characters of different races & different genders is ambitious alone. But, to do that sh*t well??? F*ck, I cannot see how people can possibly think this is the worst of 2012. It's a beautiful film, it literally has everything. Literally.

[pic - click to view]

2). CHRONICLE
This is guaranteed to be an unpopular choice for my number 2 film on my list. But, f*ck it. I love "Chronicle", and think thus far (besides my no. 1 film), it has provided me the purest & most enjoyable moviegoing experience that I didn't have to think twice about. For me, Chronicle hit me on a personal level, as some of the emotions felt by the main character is relatable to me. But, it also gave me a thrilling, funny, wonderful, and dark trip into the teenage psyche. It managed to be an entertaining teenage comedy, a found footage sci-fi film, a superhero film, a dark character study, and a smart drama while NEVER overstaying its welcome. It's so surprisingly well-written & well-acted, the film doesn't feel like it does a disservice to any character. Unlike... say "X-Men: First Class", the character that dies gets dimension & story development, and doesn't feel like a cheap throwaway from the directors. Lean, mean, and with intelligence to spare, I hadn't seen movie ALL YEAR that gave me such a thoroughly entertaining movie experience until December, when I saw the number 1 film on my list...

[pic - click to view]

DJANGO UNCHAINED
YES. Django Unchained is f*cking AWESOME. Tarantino has delivered once again. The concerns I had about it were quite simply washed away when I saw it. The film is so smart, so well written, and toys so intelligently with convention, that it made it hard for me as a moviegoer to predict where it would go. The film also resonates emotionally. When Django goes after the Brittle bros., you can feel the pent up rage, the aggression, the anger, and you can see the cruelty that created that anger in Jamie Foxx's silent & intense performance. Every performer in this film is great. The film never EVER feels exploitive, and it never feels like it's exploiting or trivializing slavery & it's part in America's sordid history. In fact, as a black man, parts of it hit me on a very real emotional level. There's a quiet scene of slaves just setting up a dinner table. And, for some reason, that scene really got to me, and left me a little shaken. That's Tarantino's genius as a director. He knows how to take scenes you might've seen a million times in a million other movies, and make it get to you this time. You can see his influences in this film, but never EVER does the film feel like it's just taking from other films, and not giving anything back. Django Unchained is risk-taking cinema in its truest form, and I absolutely cannot wait to check it out for the 3rd time. A TRULY amazing film, and easily the best film of the year.

Honorable Mentions
Argo
The Master
Wreck-It-Ralph
Skyfall
Haywire

So, there you have it. Let me know what y'all think/how much you agree/how wrong I am below. And, as always, thanks for reading.
 5 years ago '05        #3
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
Nice list..

I thought a few movies were highly overrated.. Moonrise, looper and Chronicle should be at the tail end

My top ten, and im no expert or critic (in no order)

Avengers
Django - #1 movie of the year.. Im a Full fledged QT fan now
TDKR
Argo
Promethius - mostly because of the original story
Looper
Indie Game
Beasts of the southern wild
The master
Lincoln

Honorable mention: Think like a man, the art of rap
Alot of us argued about Chronicle at length when I posted my review back in February. I'm sure more people will side with you that it's overrated.
 5 years ago '07        #4
st21 1238 heat pts1238
space
space
$55,536 | Props total: 43711 43711
Dark Knight Rises & Prometheus are my 2 personal favorites. can't watch them enough.
 5 years ago '04        #5
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3478 3478
Chronicle was one of the dumbest movies I've seen all year.

I don't think Looper is top 5 worthy, but that's purely based on my hatred for the "kids with powers" crap.
 5 years ago '05        #6
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,467 | Props total: 7117 7117
If Zero Dark Thirty were on your list, where would it be?

5 years ago '06        #7
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
Nice list. Still gotta see the rest of the movies on that list. Just didn't catch my attention but I guess they're worth the watch
 5 years ago '05        #8
space
space
 ReppinDaBurghh said:
If Zero Dark Thirty were on your list, where would it be?

It'd probably be wrestling with Django Unchained for my number 1 spot.
 5 years ago '04        #9
!!! 220 heat pts220
space
space
$42,058 | Props total: 33872 33872
Django at #1

I'm with you on Cloud Atlas. I thought that movie was amazing.

But I think you did Lincoln a little dirty.

All in all, great list.
 5 years ago '05        #10
space
space
 A.G said:
Chronicle was one of the dumbest movies I've seen all year.

I don't think Looper is top 5 worthy, but that's purely based on my hatred for the "kids with powers" crap.
Then, you clearly haven't seen the very worst movies of the year.

What's with the beef with the "kid with powers" thing?
 5 years ago '06        #11
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,980 | Props total: 3533 3533
I still have to watch V/H/S and Cloud Altas....never heard of Chronicles.
 5 years ago '05        #12
space
space
 !!! said:
Django at #1

I'm with you on Cloud Atlas. I thought that movie was amazing.

But I think you did Lincoln a little dirty.

All in all, great list.
Honestly, Lincoln? It's a great movie, but it's still Oscar bait Spielberg... Very good Oscar bait Spielberg, but still. I cannot in good conscious put it higher on my list simply based on my many MANY issues with Oscar-bait Spielberg.
 5 years ago '04        #13
!!! 220 heat pts220
space
space
$42,058 | Props total: 33872 33872
 DaOmega_1 said:
Honestly, Lincoln? It's a great movie, but it's still Oscar bait Spielberg... Very good Oscar bait Spielberg, but still. I cannot in good conscious put it higher on my list simply based on my many MANY issues with Oscar-bait Spielberg.
You're absolutely right about Spielberg I'm just a huge fan of DDL. To me, he has the Midas touch in his films because I know he's going to bring it every singe time.

Lincoln was my Best Picture Oscar favorite because of the performance of DDL, Sally Field, and Tommy lee Jones. That is until I saw Django. I hope QT gets what he deserves.

Edit: I'm dying to see The Master. Still need to see Looper, Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi, and Moonrise Kingdom.
 5 years ago '05        #14
space
space
 !!! said:
You're absolutely right about Spielberg I'm just a huge fan of DDL. To me, he has the Midas touch in his films because I know he's going to bring it every singe time.

Lincoln was my Best Picture Oscar favorite because of the performance of DDL, Sally Field, and Tommy lee Jones. That is until I saw Django. I hope QT gets what he deserves.

Edit: I'm dying to see The Master. Still need to see Looper, Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi, and Moonrise Kingdom.
I think QT is owed a best director Oscar after getting snubbed for Inglourious Basterds... And, I haven't seen Life of Pi, which is something I regret pretty seriously.
 5 years ago '07        #15
jack_napier 
space
space
$3,564 | Props total: 53 53
VHS was surprisingly good, just peeped it off Netflix two weeks ago. Y'all should definitely watch. Great list, Django my favorite flick of 2012 too.
 5 years ago '05        #16
space
space
 jack_napier said:
VHS was surprisingly good, just peeped it off Netflix two weeks ago. Y'all should definitely watch. Great list, Django my favorite flick of 2012 too.
That's how I watched it. I was just bored with my roommates, and just gave it a watch out of boredom, and was utterly shocked at how enjoyable it was.
 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM         #17
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
You didnt like that "Safety not Guaranteed" joint? Thought that was one of the better movies of 2012. Ending surprised the hell outa me.
 5 years ago '10        #18
walker2781 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,826 | Props total: 4 4
Im glad to see somebody realize how good and important the new Dredd is. Everybody gave Dredd heat because they felt it was a rip off of Raid, nobody seen all the good it brought to the table. That movie captured the essence of the source material and IMO laid the foundation for an even better sequel/franchise.

Chronicle was a much need think outside the box super hero movie, something we haven't seen since Unbreakable. It was extremely entertaining and well worth my price of admission.

Prometheus was enjoyable for all the same reasons u listed, it was without a doubt the most gorgeous movie I seen in a min, the story was in a sense abstract and made u think, and for me had me wanting more. However, this movie was not perfect by no means, my biggest complaint was with the incredibly unrealistic actions of the Prometheus crew...for instance, the dude taking his helmet off just cause the air is breathable, the map make with all his gadgets gets lost and then as scared as they was decided to play with a nasty looking snake thing. The biggest wtf moment was when they opened the door and turned their back on folded up zombie man. Aside from the poor decisions of the crew the acting was on point, they played stupid in fine form.

The rest of these movies I still need to see, top of my list is Moonrise kingdom, Beast of the Southern Wild, Django, Lincoln and Zero Dark thirty.
 5 years ago '10        #19
walker2781 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,826 | Props total: 4 4
 ManWithoutFear! said:
You didnt like that "Safety not Guaranteed" joint? Thought that was one of the better movies of 2012. Ending surprised the hell outa me.
I seen that joint with my wife, I kinda liked too bro. It was a pleasant surprise to actually like a movie the wife picked out.
 5 years ago '04        #20
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4330 4330
Good list...

Disappointed Argo didn't make it though. Rest of my top 5 is there though.
Home      

most viewed right now
joie chavis
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
60 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
198 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
62 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
165 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy