NBA Kool Killa Klay Highlights vs Pacers (2016.12.05) 60 points, Grand Wizadry
32 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA My Friend Just Met Klay Thompson
29 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Transformers: The Last Knight(official trailer)
72 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Reason why jeremih got kicked out of the tour and possible going to get..
67 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

4 years ago '06        #921
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
$3,922 | Props total: 1109 1109
State of the Noles: Tight Ends
February, 13, 2013
FEB 13
8:30
AM ET
By NoleNation Staff | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT

Robert Mayer/US Presswire
Florida State ight end Nick O'Leary is the clear starter for the next two seasons.

When it comes to recruiting, coaches must think long-term. It's not just about which holes must be filled immediately, but rather where the needs might be in two or three years.

With that in mind, NoleNation writers David Hale and Corey Dowlar are going position by position, looking at what FSU has on its roster now and who might provide reinforcements down the line, projecting starters and evaluating the depth through 2015.

Up next, a position that could become a much bigger part of the offense in 2013: Tight end.

Current scholarship TEs (5): Nick O'Leary (Jr.), Kevin Haplea (Sr.), Christo Kourtzidis (So.), Dan Hicks (RSr.), Jeremy Kerr (Fr.)

Potential early departures: O'Leary arrived in Tallahassee as the nation's top tight end recruit, so he certainly has the talent to garner the attention of NFL scouts -- but it would require a big step forward in his junior season in 2013.

Predicted starters (Hale's pick/Dowlar's pick)
2013: O'Leary/O'Leary
2014: O'Leary/O'Leary
2015: Kourtzidis/Kourtzidis

Why they'll start: Few positions appear as straightforward looking ahead as tight end, where Florida State has a clear No. 1 in O'Leary, who figures to wrap up his career as a four-year starter. Kourtzidis projects as the clear heir apparent. The bigger question is just how significant the role of tight end will be as Jimbo Fisher tweaks its offense without longtime starting fullback Lonnie Pryor.

O'Leary took a small step forward in his sophomore campaign in 2012, catching 21 passes -- the most by a tight end during Fisher's tenure calling plays at FSU -- but even with that increased production, the tight ends accounted for just 7.5 percent of the Seminoles' receiving yards.

With Pryor gone, however, Fisher has said O'Leary could be featured as a half back, and FSU could employ more two-tight end sets. Add a first-year starter at quarterback still getting used to the offense and it stands to reason there could be a bigger role than ever for the tight ends.

EJ Manuel raved about O'Leary's potential before the 2012 season, and there were flashes of just how dangerous a weapon he could be. In the end, O'Leary's shortcomings were just as evident. But with two more years left to improve, the best is likely still to come, and the next few seasons could provide far more opportunity to showcase his skillsw.

Who might FSU add: Florida State only signed one tight end in the 2013 class, and Kerr might not even stay at the position. At 6-foot-6 and nearly 260 pounds, Kerr could potentially find himself growing into a massive offensive tackle. Though, it must be said, there wasn't a huge need at tight end this cycle because of the numbers at the position.

The Seminoles have only offered a pair of prospects at the position for 2014 -- Kevin Crosby (Bamberg, S.C./Bamberg) and Tyler Luatua (La Mirada, Calif./La Marida) -- so it is hard to say how they look going forward. Moral Stephens (Perry, Fla./Taylor County) could eventually grow to tight-end size since he's already pushing 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds.

Long-term grade: C-plus. The position is in good hands for 2013 with O'Leary, Kourtzidis and veteran Penn State transfer Haplea, along with a healthy Hicks. But the latter two are gone at year's end, and there's at least the possibility O'Leary could depart, too, if he enjoys a breakout season. That would leave FSU is a tight spot for 2014 and beyond and put plenty of pressure on the coaching staff to nab some depth in next year's signing class -- particularly if the position continues to evolve into a bigger part of the offensive scheme.
 4 years ago '06        #922
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
DavidHaleESPN
Jameis Winston
I've got a story up today on Jameis Winston's quest to play both baseball and football -- and how he's balancing the two this spring.

I spoke with Winston about a few other things that didn't find their way into the story, but figured it was worth sharing...

On how he views the QB competition:
"It's something I want to do. We've got three good quarterbacks over there, but this is what I want to do, and I'm going to have to compete just like them. We'll all be out there at the same time, and no one's going to have an upper hand."

On what he gained by redshirting in 2012:
"Oh man, I gained about 23 pounds."

(Great answer, right?)

On what he gained, knowledge-wise, by redshirting:
"A lot. I love EJ. He's a great quarterback. And seeing how Jimbo works, it was different. Over here, it's fun because everybody out here is talented. It's not like back home -- these boys are the real deal."

On the difference between Fisher & Martin:
"Eleven is laid back. He handles stuff differently. Coach Fisher is more of a hands-on guy."

On offseason talk with the other QBs:
"I don't talk to them. I talk to Coker some. But I don't talk to Clint or Sean. Me and Coker have class together, so we laugh, but we don't ever talk about the situation. All of us know there's a job out there but we're just having fun."

On finding time to prep for both sports:
"The sports not the problem. It's really school. It's time management. ... In fall, I had time where I could go hang out on the weekends with my boys. Now I have to chill, do homework, catch up."

On whether he'd want to stay at FSU the next few years if he's not the starting QB:
"I don't think about that stuff. That's what the fans talk about, but I'm not thinking about that right now."
 4 years ago '05        #923
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,665 | Props total: 3775 3775
fu*k Kentavious Street too, i dont see him committed
 4 years ago '08        #924
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,014 | Props total: 156 156
I'm with Junior lol. Every n*gga can suck a d!ck until they commit
 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM         #925
Flo State 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Matthew Thomas wanted to go to USC, but mom wouldn't sign LOI
posted by Bud Elliott, Feb 14, 2013

Josh Newberg: At what point did you know you were going to sign with Florida State?
Matthew Thomas: Well I decided that morning (Signing Day). The night before I was honestly thinking USC. I was trying to get the LOI and everything ready and signed first. But my mom didn't want to sign it. She didn't want me to go to USC.

JN: So if your mom would have signed the papers you'd be a Trojan right now?
MT: Yeah, I would have been a Trojan.

JN: Are you upset about that?
MT: No I think everything works out how it's supposed to. I'm going to make the best of my situation. It's not like I'm unhappy, I really like Florida State. It's not a problem, I'm happy with my decision.

JN: Tell me more about you and your mom's discussion. Did it get heated when she wouldn't sign the LOI?
MT: No we just talked and stuff. We couldn't agree, but it's my mom, I just did what I had to do.

JN: What was your feeling after your signing ceremony?
MT: I had butterflies. I was like, 'wow I really just did it'.
 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM         #926
Flo State 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
JN: Tell me about Denver Kirkland, your good friend and teammate, were you surprised he signed with Arkansas?
MT: I knew that he was going to Arkansas. When that stuff happened with Miami, they took his scholarship, we talked and I said, 'I don't trust them, they'll do the same thing to me'. We worked out the night before Signing Day and I told him I was going to USC and he told me he was thinking about Miami, Ole Miss and Arkansas. He was saying he liked Arkansas and I said to go ahead if that's where your heart is at. The next day he signed with Arkansas, but I didn't tell him yet that I changed my mind. But then he told me that if I would have told him I was going to Florida State then he would have gone with me. He thought I was going to USC.
Matthew Thomas at Booker T. Washington

Booker T. teammates Matthew Thomas and Denver Kirkland.

JN: Did you tell the FSU staff or any other staff that you were going to USC?
MT: No. Well I told the coaches at USC, Lane Kiffin and them.

JN: What was your mindset before the Denver Kirkland drama? Were you leaning toward Miami at that point?
MT: No not really. I wanted to get away from home, I never really wanted to stay home.

JN: At the end of the process, how bad did the pressure get to stay home?
MT: It wasn't too bad at school. I was kind of isolated and stuff so it wasn't that bad. But on social networks and stuff that's where it was kind of bad. Fans wanting me to stay home, that's where it got bad.

JN: How did you stay in control of your recruitment with people always voicing their opinions on where you should go?
MT: Those are just opinions. I know what I want and I'm not going to let someone tell me where I should go. This was a big decision for me and I wasn't going to let someone else make a decision that I have to live with.

JN: What was the hardest part about not staying home and playing for Miami?
MT: I got five little brothers that wanted me to stay home so they could go to my home games and watch me play. It was hard to tell my brothers that I was leaving.

JN: James Coley recruited you at FSU for almost two years before taking a job at Miami. Was it hard to tell him that you weren't going to Miami?
MT: I think he already knew. When he was recruiting me at Florida State he asked me if Miami had a chance and I was like, 'not really'. I don't think he thought anything was going to change when he went to Miami.

JN: Did James Coley go after you when he was at Miami or did he spend too much time recruiting you to FSU for that to work?
MT: He didn't talk to me when he went to Miami. I talked to coach (Michael) Barrow and coach (Al) Golden.

JN: Was James Coley in on the final in-home visit the week before Signing Day?
MT: No he didn't come with them.
Matthew Thomas at Booker T. Washington

JN: Why do you think James Coley wasn't a part of your recruitment when he went to Miami?
MT: Because like he was trying to swing me to Florida State for so long, how are you gonna now persuade me to come to Miami? That just doesn't work.

JN: If you could name one or two primary reasons on why you chose FSU, what would they be?
MT: I trust coach Jimbo and I trust coach Pruitt.

JN: What was the conversation like between you and the FSU coaches after you signed your letter of intent?
MT: It was just like relief for all of us. Coach Fisher asked me how I felt about everything and I told him I feel good. I told him I'm ready to come in and get to work now.

JN: What was the best part of the recruiting process for you?
MT: The visits (big laugh). The whole experience of getting out of Miami, going on a plane, going to see new things, talk to new people, all that stuff. It was fun.

JN: Besides always having to do interviews with me, what was the worst part of the process?
MT: Like after the game having to do interviews with reporters. You are tired and just trying to get to the bus and you got reporters all in your chest trying to talk to you.

JN: Really? That was the worst part of the whole process?
MT: Yeah man. You are tired, your brain beat, you aren't thinking right. You got people coming up with cameras to do interviews and you are talking all stupid. I don't feel like talking after games.

JN: How old are you now? How old were you when you were a freshman in high school?
MT: I'm 17 now. I was like 14 in my freshman year.

JN: Do you think 14 year old Matthew Thomas would ever think he'd be signing with Florida State?
MT: Nah, nah, in 9th grade I wanted to go to Alabama.

JN: If 17 year Matthew Thomas went to 14 year old Matthew Thomas and told him to get his FSU gear ready because that's where you're going, what would the 14 year old Matthew Thomas say?
MT: Well I always kinda liked Florida State, but I'd be like, 'damn, I'm gonna make you regret those words and I'm gonna go somewhere else'. That's just the kinda kid I was.

JN: So even back in 9th grade you didn't see yourself playing for Miami?
MT: I liked Miami a lot too. I looked up to a lot of those guys. I wanted to play for the 'U', I was throwing up the 'U' all the time. But ya know, in the end it just wasn't for me.

JN: How do you feel about all those pictures floating around of you throwing up the 'U'?
MT: I just think that that was Matthew Thomas then and now I'm gonna be throwing up the 'chop' cause now I'm Matthew Thomas the 'Nole.

JN: But based on what you are saying to me, you were throwing up the 'U' knowing that wasn't the school you were going to. What's up with that?
MT: Of course. But I've been a fan of Miami since I was little and that was like me showing my support. I still like them and watch them.

JN: What are you most looking forward to now that Signing Day is over?
MT: I'm looking forward to playing, man. I'm ready to play now.

JN: Has the FSU staff told you what they want you to do this offseason?
MT: Yeah they are sending me all the stuff down. They know I can learn fast so they're sending me the defense and the workout plan.

JN: Do you have one last message for Florida State fans?
MT: Ya'll ready? Let's go get it!
 4 years ago '08        #927
F.A.M.E.M.O.B. 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,995 | Props total: 27 27
FSU Offers NY DT

Just got word from Coach Shawn O'Connor in Brooklyn/Abraham Lincoln that he sent film of his DT Thomas Holley to Sal Sunseri, today Jimbo Fisher called and offered the 6-4/285 DT. This was his first year playing football. He was a basketball player prior to this season. Impressive looking junior. I'll have more soon
 4 years ago '08        #928
space
space
FSU offers Ala. OL

Homewood (Ala.) Offensive Guard Jordan Sims claims an offer from FSU

================================================== ====================

6' 5" 330 pound guard
 4 years ago '08        #929
space
space
Florida State offers four-star 2014 OT

Juwann Bushell-Beatty has been offered by Florida State according to this coach Chris Partridge.

Bushell-Beatty has only been playing organized football for two years. This past year was his first as a starter. He helped lead his team to a state championship.

Florida offered the 6-foot-7, 310-pound Bushell-Beatty last week.

I think some schools that have impressed our Penn State and Michigan, but he hasn't been to many schools.
 4 years ago '08        #930
space
space
2014 Needs: Tight End

The tight end position at Florida State accounted for 25 receptions for 280 yards and four touchdowns last season. Nick O’Leary’s 21 receptions this past season are the most by a tight end under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State. Their contribution cannot be measured by just receptions though, as they are also utilized as additional blockers in both the run and pass game for the Seminoles. Florida State will likely look to sign one to two tight ends in the 2014 class.

Kerr was Florida State's one addition at the tight end position in the 2013 class.

On the roster: RS SR Dan Hicks, SR Kevin Haplea, JR Nick O’Leary, SO Christo Kourtzidis, FR Jeremy Kerr (incoming)

Needs: 1-2

2014 Commits: None

What FSU looks for at the TE position:

* Size – Florida State tight ends ranged from 6-foot-2 to 6-foot-4 and weighed between 238 and 260 pounds this past season. New addition Jeremy Kerr eclipses those measurements checking in at 6-foot-6, 254-pounds prior to arriving on campus. At the tight end position, Florida State would prefer the size to handle blocking on the edge over a more sleek, athletic tight end.

* Physicality – With responsibilities of picking up edge-rushers in pass protection as well as acting as a sixth lineman in the running game, it is a requirement at the tight end position that you are able to get your hands on a defender and move him off the spot.

* Ability to be a receiver – No matter how large the tight end, Florida State wants a threat in the passing game down the field. Even when a tight end is brought in to be primarily a blocker, it is essential that they are capable of making their way down the field and making a reception if their number is called.

Names to keep an eye on:

TE Chris Laye (6-5, 240) Suwanee, Ga. – Since new tight ends coach Billy Napier was hired, he has checked in on Suwanee (Ga.) Lambert tight end Chris Laye on at least one occasion. Laye does not yet have an offer from the Seminoles, but is attending this weekend’s junior day.

TE Davion Riley (6-3, 210) Lake Wales, Fla. – This past season Riley visited Florida State for a pair of games. He and his family are very familiar with defensive line coach Odell Haggins. He is a bit undersized at tight end, but has major athleticism and upside.

TE Tyler Luatua (6-4, 230) La Mirada, Calif. – Luatua is a national target and considered the early favorite to be the top tight end in the class. He has held an offer from Florida State since May.
 4 years ago '08        #931
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,014 | Props total: 156 156
That read on Big 6 is crazy..
 4 years ago '11        #932
klutch2381 
space
space
space
$179 | Props total: 8 8
I don't want Mike Johnson or Tee Martin, give me Jeff Tedford, a brother can dream, right?
 4 years ago '11        #933
klutch2381 
space
space
space
$179 | Props total: 8 8
And definitely no to Sanders or Napier getting promoted to OC.
 4 years ago '06        #934
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
Noles 2013 snapshot: Keith Bryant
February, 14, 2013
FEB 14
7:00
AM ET
By Corey Dowlar | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
With national signing day now beyond us, NoleNation takes a closer look at the next crop of Seminoles.

Vitals: Defensive tackle Keith Bryant (Delray Beach, Fla./Atlantic), 6-foot-2, 292 pounds

Committed: Feb. 6, 2013

ESPN.com grade: 83, four-star prospect

ESPN.com rankings: No. 14 defensive tackle in the country, No. 61 player in Southeast, No. 27 prospect in Florida and No. 135 in the ESPN 150.

Picked Florida State over: Kentucky, Miami, South Carolina and Southern Cal.

Keith Bryant
Defensive tackle
Signed: Florida State

Pos RkStarsGradeHometown
83Delray Beach, FL
State of the position: In terms of talent, Florida State's defensive tackles are stocked. Five-star recruits such as Timmy Jernigan and Eddie Goldman will play large roles for the Seminoles in 2013. Justin Shanks, Derrick Mitchell and Nile Lawrence-Stample still have plenty of time to come into their own and Demonte McAllister has emerged as one of the best at the position. Jacobbi McDaniel will also be back from a redshirt season and should be healthy and ready to go.

ESPN.com scouting report: Bryant can be a disruptive interior defensive player. He possesses good overall size. While he might need to rework his build some at the next level, he should be able to play comfortably around 300 pounds. He displays a very good initial burst and is capable of disrupting plays by getting quick penetration. ... He can be explosive and can get upfield to blow up plays, but is best as a straight ahead, hard upfield charger and displays more adequate short change-of-direction ability and range. ... His ability to quickly get off the ball and get under blockers' pads can allow him to create pressure with a bull rush, but he needs to keep developing the use of his weapons. Bryant is a good-sized kid who is capable of quickly firing off on the snap off the ball. He needs to keep developing and rounding out his game, but has the tools to be a disruptive presence.

Expected impact: Bryant will likely have a similar impact this season as Goldman did last season. He'll rotate in during mop-up duty early in the season before earning Odell Haggins' trust. There is a chance he could redshirt, but it is probably not the favorite option in the clubhouse. Bryant is capable of holding his weight and then some, but might have to adjust to the Seminoles strength program initially. Down the road, he figures to play a very important role in the Seminoles defensive front.
 4 years ago '06        #935
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
ACC
State of the Noles: Defensive Tackle
February, 14, 2013
FEB 14
11:00
AM ET
By David M. Hale & Corey Dowlar | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND1COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT

AP Photo/Don Juan Moore
Timmy Jernigan should be one of the ACC's elite defenders in 2013.

When it comes to recruiting, coaches need to be thinking long-term. It's not just about which holes must be filled immediately, but rather where the needs might be in two or three more years.

With that in mind, NoleNation writers David Hale and Corey Dowlar are going position by position, looking at what FSU has on its roster now, and who might provide reinforcements down the line, projecting starters and evaluating the depth through 2015.

Up next, a position that will see plenty of turnover in 2013: Defensive tackle.

Current scholarship DTs (8): Jacobbi McDaniel (RSr.), Eddie Goldman (So.), Demonte McAllister (RSr.), Justin Shanks (RFr.), Nile Lawrence-Stample (RSo.), Derrick Mitchell (RSo.), Timmy Jernigan (Jr.), Keith Bryant (Fr.)

Potential early departures: Jernigan already established himself as an NFL prospect in his first two seasons at FSU without holding down the nominal role of starter. He steps into the spotlight in 2013, and he seems like the most likely candidate on the roster to forego his senior season. Down the road, Goldman could blossom into a top-tier prospect as well.

Predicted starters (Hale's picks/Dowlar's picks)
2013: Jernigan, McAllister/Jernigan, McAllister
2014: Goldman, Shanks/Jernigan, Goldman
2015: Goldman, Shanks/Goldman, Shanks

Why they'll start: Jernigan's status is etched in stone, with the only question being how productive he might become in his first season as a full-time starter. Florida State will continue to rotate at tackle, so it may not mean a vast increase in snaps for the talented junior in 2013, but it should vault Jernigan squarely into the discussion as one of the ACC's elite defenders.

If Jernigan's 2013 season goes according to plan, however, it could also be his last in Tallahassee, but that doesn't mean the Seminoles don't have plenty of talent waiting in the wings.

McAllister has a breakthrough season in 2012 (33 tackles, 3.5 sacks) and appears to have the upper hand on the other starting job this spring, but Goldman is clearly the future at defensive tackle. He was a five-star recruit who saw limited action as a freshman (8 tackles, 1 TFL), but his upside is immense. A role similar to what Jernigan has done the past two seasons seems the most likely outcome for 2013, but Goldman's future is bright.

Shanks (6-2, 340) is massive, Bryant arrives with plenty of upside, and Mitchell and Lawrence-Stample offer some unrealized potential, meaning there's plenty of depth at tackle both now and down the road.

All that depth may put McDaniel at something of a disadvantage in his final campaign with FSU. He's got an NFL skill set, but thanks to a gruesome injury in 2011, it's been nearly two years since he played in a game.

Who might FSU add: The Seminoles added a big piece to the defensive tackle puzzle with Bryant (Delray Beach, Fla./Atlantic) for 2013. He fits the consistent mold of top-flight players that have been brought in at the position over the last three years and could contribute very early on in his career.

Looking to the future, Florida State has probably the top defensive tackle in the state for 2014 committed in Demarcus Christmas (Bradenton, Fla./Manatee). He's been named to the ESPN Watch List and will probably have offers from everybody when it is all said and done. They are also after prospects like Kendall Baker (Atlanta/Marist School), Andrew Brown (Chesapeake, Va./Oscar Frommel Smith) and Elisha Shaw (Tucker, Ga./Tucker).

Long-term grade: A. There may not be a position on the roster more stacked now and better prepared for the future than defensive tackle. Jernigan is already a top-flight prospect. Goldman and Shanks could be, too, in another two seasons. Bryant brings potential and Christmas could be a crown jewel in the Class of 2014. FSU has to be thrilled about the potential for greatness at defensive tackle moving forward.
 4 years ago '06        #936
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
What will 2013 class do?
Depth at defensive back and defensive end could see more action for freshmen
Updated: February 13, 2013, 2:34 PM ET
By David M. Hale | NoleNation
EMAIL
PRINT
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- For all the hype that surrounds national signing day, the truth is that the bulk of the incoming freshmen won't blossom into impact players for at least another year or two. Based on recent seasons, about half will redshirt, a handful more will see only limited action and only a select few will get regular reps on game day.

So, looking over this year's incoming freshmen, which ones are likely to get the first crack at stardom? NoleNation broke down the class, considering each players talent, skill set and the opportunity for playing time at their position, and made a few educated guesses.

Potential redshirts

[+] Enlarge
Miller Safrit/ESPN
With depth and unproven talent at defensive end, DeMarcus Walker has a chance to earn playing time in 2013.
It's far too soon to say for sure that any members of the Class of 2013 are destined for a redshirt, but for a handful there doesn't appear to be a clear path toward regular playing time at the moment.
Wilson Bell and Ira Denson both arrive with the size to quickly step in on the line, but at this point there's not an obvious job available. Giving offensive linemen an extra year to develop is a nice luxury if FSU can afford it. Ryan Hoefeld seems certain to go that route.

Of the three defensive backs in this year's class, there might not be significant minutes for more than one, meaning Nate Andrews and Marquez White will likely be f!ghting to prove they can make an impact on special teams to avoid a redshirt.

Keith Bryant has the talent to play early, but Florida State is so deep at defensive tackle that a redshirt probably makes sense, with a much bigger role opening up in 2014.

Both tight end Jeremy Kerr and quarterback John Franklin could eventually switch positions, and neither appears to have much playing time on the horizon at their spots.

Playing, but not much
Every season some freshmen get their feet wet on special teams and mop-up duty, laying the groundwork for the future without immediately making a huge impact. This season, Florida State's new crop of linebackers fits that bill.

There's a huge benefit for the Seminoles to get their young linebackers into the mix early, and without much depth at the position that shouldn't be a problem. Still, the starting jobs are in good hands with Telvin Smith and Christian Jones, so that may leave E.J. Levenberry, Ro'Derrick Hoskins and Tyrell Lyons aiming for regular special teams work. Freddie Stevenson could be in a similar spot, but his early enrollment at least gives him a slight leg up.

FSU is deep at receiver this year, making it tough for the freshmen to find much playing time, but the athleticism of Jesus Wilson and Isaiah Jones should get them on the field on special teams at the least.

Instant impact
Ryan Green doesn't have a clear path to a job just yet, and there's plenty of competition for carries in what has the look of another backfield-by-committee for the Seminoles. But while Devonta Freeman and James Wilder Jr. showed in 2012 they can handle the load down the stretch, Green brings a home-run threat to FSU's offense that could be a dangerous weapon. It's far from a guaranteed job for Green, but Chris Thompson's explosiveness was the catalyst for last season's early success in the ground game, and Green could offer something similar in 2013.

The receiving corps is deep for Florida State this season, but Levonte Whitfield has the speed to find a niche both as a slot receiver and an impact player on special teams. It remains to be seen how quickly he can grasp the playbook and nudge his way into the rotation, but if he can work his way onto the field, Whitfield and redshirt freshman Marvin Bracy would provide FSU with perhaps the fastest combination of receivers in the country.

ESPN's NoleNation
Join the discussion about all things Florida State football and recruiting, exclusively for NoleNation fans in Tomahawk Talk.

Matthew Thomas provided FSU with its biggest catch on signing day, and he could step into the lineup and get some reps right away at linebacker. Only Smith and Jones have significant experience at the position, and Thomas could potentially follow in Jones' footsteps, getting his feet wet on the strong side this year before moving to the weakside in 2014 and beyond.
Ronald Darby and Nick Waisome appear to have the starting cornerback jobs locked down, but Jalen Ramsey nevertheless should have a role. Ramsey can make an immediate impact on special teams, but he could also earn a spot in the cornerback rotation, turning in a season similar to what Darby did in a reserve role last season, when he earned Freshman All-American honors.

Perhaps no member of this year's signing class has a better combination of ability and opportunity than DeMarcus Walker. The 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive end is an early enrollee, and the reps he'll get this spring could be significant, given the lack of depth and experience at the position for FSU. There's a starting job to be won, and although Walker is hardly the favorite, there's no reason to think he can't be in the mix by the time fall practice starts. As the 2012 season showed, depth at defensive end will almost certainly be utilized.
 4 years ago '06        #937
Xaiv 134 heat pts134
space
space
Kentavious Street's top team
February, 14, 2013
FEB 14
8:20
AM ET
By Brent Sobleski | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Defensive end Kentavious Street (Greenville, N.C./J.H. Rose) had multiple prominent offers well before the new recruiting cycle officially began. And he could make a decision where he wants to attend school a year prior to signing his letter of intent during 2014's national signing day.

"I've been waiting on this offer (from Florida State) my whole life, so all the hard work is paying off," Street told Michael Langston of Warchant.com. "I grew up watching (FSU) personally. They were my favorite team growing up. In my area, it's either Georgia fans or Florida State fans and that's how we are. I know all the traditions, the Warchant, the horse, the spear, everything.

"They are my number one school now. I've been waiting so long for this so to have it is unreal."

Aside from being a fan of the program, Street's father played for the Seminoles.

Notre Dame, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Tennessee and Virginia Tech have offered Street. Although, Florida State clearly appears to be the team to beat for this defensive end.
 4 years ago '09        #938
ylowell 
space
space
$29 | Props total: 0 0
EJ Manuel to be featured on ESPN's 'Gruden's QB Camp'
By Brandon Mellor on February 14, 2013 2:32 PM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

Former Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel will be one of nine quarterbacks to individually appear on ESPN's popular Gruden's QB Camp with former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach/current Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden, ESPN announced Thursday.

The show will start airing April 4 at 8:30 p.m. and will air continuously throughout the month on SportsCenter and NFL studio shows across ESPN's family of networks.

His appearance on the show is the next in a long line of events that Manuel has or will participate in since he capped off his FSU career with an Orange Bowl victory. Manuel has already captured MVP honors in the Senior Bowl, won the accuracy contest in the Quicken Loans All-Star Football Challenge and will soon show off his skills at the NFL Combine.
 4 years ago '10        #939
kNOLES 
space
space
$575 | Props total: 0 0
Too bad manofwar isn't here to drop all those updates about junior day. Damn
 4 years ago '08        #940
space
space
Live updates from FSU Junior Day

These are the confirmed visitors:

QB J.J. Cosentino - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
QB Tyler Harris - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
QB Malique Jackson - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
RB Kamryn Pettway – Feb. 16th (confirmed)
RB Jalin Buie (2016) - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
WR Isaiah Ford - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
WR Krenwick Sanders - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
WR/CB Greg Cooper - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
WR Karonte Donaldson - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
WR/TE Moral Stephens - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
TE Chris Laye – Feb. 16th (confirmed)
OL Douglas Lofton - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
OL/DL Caleb Samuel - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
DE Blake McClain – Feb. 16th (confirmed)
DT Jeremy Patterson - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Andre Smith (2015) - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Jacob Pugh - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Herbert Neal - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Shayon Davis - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Brice Hamilton - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
LB Jeffrey Holland (2015) - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
CB Brandon Roberts - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
CB/S Kendall Randolph - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
CB/S Deion Singleton - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
S Tony Fields - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
S Kevin Toliver II (2015) - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
S Tuson Young - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
ATH Darius Harvey - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
ATH Derwin James (2015) - Feb. 16th (confirmed)
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
36 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Why Derrick Rose Got Injured, Scientifically
59 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
164 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
112 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Fresh Prince otw to Netflix
58 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Cam'ron's Killa Season 2 Tour is a MUST SEE
80 comments
1 day ago