Florida State Seminoles Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside ARIANA GRANDE and MADONNA TWERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
21 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Charlamagne hanging out with Tomi Lahren in Times Square
19 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 2 - Girl who was bullied kills herself in front of her family
45 comments
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Conor McGregor Speaks on Boxing License & Next Move
20 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

2 years ago '05        #3081
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
$51,641 | Props total: 3737 3737
Good Heavens Mario is a grown man

2 years ago '05        #3082
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Lane & Phillips

[pic - click to view]

2 years ago '08        #3083
F.A.M.E.M.O.B. 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,995 | Props total: 27 27
Just because there isn't great DT's in Florida doesn't mean we shouldn't be busting our a.sses to go find some. We pulled n*ggas out of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, VA, California etc. We should at least have some of these dudes on our board. I know Brew was just in Canada checking in on one of them but I need to start seeing names pop up that we at least busting our a.ss to go try like we are all these DB's.
 2 years ago '11        #3084
mester 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,353 | Props total: 143 143
This is the first year since I started following recruiting that I dont have a clue who we been after.. I know dudes like McFadden, Phillips.. Mainly skill postions.. But in the trenches on both o and d I have'nt really heard that many names beside Josh Sweat.. And I know trenton thompson visited early in the year but thats it..And I just happen to glance at Sweat crystall ball prediction to know we was in it for him.. I aint worried tho just kinda weird..

Yall got any names I could check out???? Im kinda outta the loop a lil this cycle..Might be because of that ring we just won
 2 years ago '08        #3085
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,014 | Props total: 156 156
Recruiting doesnt warm up to about Fall so you straight really. Honestly getting too deep in recruiting this early is like self-torture. The n*ggas you should know are probably the n*ggas you already know. We're holding off from taking commits kinda cuz a lot of our main targets don't plan to commit until late Fall
 06-14-2014, 09:40 AM         #3086
TJ7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I took 2 of our players to UF's camp last Friday and the best DL in the camp had FSU gloves on...lol.
 2 years ago '05        #3087
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
Florida State landed one of the nation’s top defensive ends Michael Barnett.

The four-star defensive end just spent three days at FSU and opted to commit to the Seminoles early Sunday afternoon.

“Because I like the staff,” Barnett first told 247Sports.com on Sunday afternoon. “They have my major (Broadcast Journalism). (Defensive ends) coach (Sal) Sunseri pushed me at camp. He taught me new things. He helped me with my footwork and reading blocks.”

The nation’s No. 11 stronside defensive end informed Jimbo Fisher of his decision moments ago.

“He was just really happy and excited,” Barnett said.

The No. 3 overall prospect in the state of South Carolina chose Florida State over offers from Clemson, North Carolina State, Florida, Virginia Tech, Alabama and many others.

“I just really like it there,” Barnett said. “I like how they play together as a team to achieve one common goal.”

As a junior, Barnett racked up 89 tackles with 31 tackles for loss and seven sacks.

“My strength is my size,” Barnett said. “I can easily put on more weight. Coach Sal is I only need to work on my hands and being less hesitant.”

The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder from Dorchester (SC) Woodland runs a 4.7-second 40-yard dash.
 2 years ago '08        #3088
F.A.M.E.M.O.B. 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,995 | Props total: 27 27
Not sure if you boys heard but FAU's punter left the team. He could end up at FSU. He was one of the best punters in the nation last year. If we land him you might as well hang up the 2014 season because there would be no weakness on the squad.
 2 years ago '05        #3089
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
We’ve learned a lot since the end of June’s camp session. Let’s recap, position-by-position, where things stand in recruiting.

Quarterback
Camp didn’t change much in terms of where things stand on the quarterback board.

4-star QB Kai Locksley made it in for a one day, two night visit. From all accounts it went very well. He spent time with Jimbo Fisher and Randy Sanders at camp on Friday. After the session ended Locksley went back to the dorms and spent some downtime with the players on the team.

We do know the staff plans on taking at least one more quarterback to go along with current commit De’Andre Johnson. Johnson was on campus for two days visiting, but he did not work out. He has worked out at past camps.

The question is, who will Fisher take for the final spot?

Right now I feel most confident in saying Deondre Francois will be in this class. I think FSU would also take a commitment from Locksley. However, I do not think Locksley will choose FSU if Francois has already committed. Not because he’s scared of competition, it’s just that three quarterbacks in one class is a bit much. Locksley has several other options. I am still being told Maryland is very unlikely at this point. That could change if other options are filled, but for now I think Texas and Auburn are more likely than Maryland if things don’t work with FSU.

The situation at quarterback still has potential to change, but after the June session of camp, that’s how I see things shaking out.

Running Back
Nothing that took place at camp changed anything on the running back board for 2015. 4-star backs Jacques Patrick and Johnny Frasier are the top choices. 4-star RB Jordan Scarlett could be FSU’s if they miss on one of Patrick or Frasier.

It’s possible all three visit for the July camp.

Coach Jay Graham had an excellent 2016 running back on campus for four days. 5-star New Jersey back Kareem Walker didn’t work out, but he was on campus from Tuesday until Friday. Just getting him on campus for a multiple day visit as a junior-to-be is a big accomplishment. Not only that, but Graham was able to spend a significant amount of time with him because there weren’t any other real targets on campus.

Manatee 2016 RB Johnnie Lang came in a little smaller than FSU would ideally want. He’s got good explosion and top end speed, but if he’s going to be 5-8, FSU would like to see him closer to 190-195 instead of the 180-pounds he’s currently at. They like him enough though that they’ll continue to keep tabs on him during his junior season. There’s still time for him to add weight.

Offensive Line
Nothing that happened at camp this session changed the 2015 board for the ‘Noles.

It’s worth noting that FSU commit Cole Minshew came in looking like he dropped a few pounds since the last time he was on campus. He performed very well at the Big Man Camp and things seem to be solid with him and the ‘Noles. That doesn’t mean his recruitment is over. He’s one that FSU is going to have to continue to recruit and fend off Georgia and Auburn until the end. Things should wrap up for him in the next month.

As we explained, the coach at Montverde coach was unexpectedly fired last week which left 4-star OT Abdul Bello without a ride to Tallahassee. New Smyrna Beach 4-star OT Jalen Merrick was never confirmed to make it in, instead he will visit in July.

After those two, FSU also has 4-star OT Christian Pellage as an expected viitor coming in next month. Bello, Merrick and Pellage all have FSU in their top three (unofficially) from what I’m hearing. Bello, Merrick and Pellage could all end up being UF/FSU battles.

Trinity Catholic offensive lineman Geron Christian made it to camp and impressed with his athleticism. He was not offered at the camp, but could earn one down the road. He’s more of an interior guy for the ‘Noles.

The FSU staff is very confident in where they stand with the offensive line. They are able to be picky this year and don’t have to move as quickly with their offers. A good example of this is with First Coast 4-star OT William Sweet. He visited this week and did not work out. While he was there the FSU staff did not pay him a lot of attention because at this time they feel good about the recruits at the top of the board.

A couple 2016 offensive linemen showed up on campus that will make the 2016 OL recruiting board. DeMatha Catholic 2016 offensive tackle J.P. Urquidez worked out at camp and earned an offer before he left. Urquidez is a 4-star prospect and measured in at 6-7, 300. Another 2016 prospect that stood out was West Orange offensive tackle Stone Forsythe. With a name like Stone, how can you go wrong on the offensive line? He participated in the big man camp and even though he wasn’t offered over the weekend, there is still a good chance he will be in the future. Forstyhe is not ranked yet, but he’s a big athletic, 6-6, 300.

Wide Receiver
The top wide receiver target at the camp was 4-star Da’Vante Phillips, who we feel is in the boat and his (public) commitment will be a formality at this point.

FSU is looking to finish with a big receiver class, literally. With 3-star slot receiver Nyqwan Murray committed, FSU will try to add size to the rest of the class. 5-star George Campbell, 4-star Auden Tate and 4-star Alabama commit Calvin Ridley sit atop the board. I’d also expect FSU to go back in on 4-star Clemson commit Deon Cain. If he shows to FSU’s summer camp in July, then I’ll consider him back in the fold as a top target.

I also want to clarify the level of interest FSU has in Nyqwan Murray. I’m told the staff holds him in high regard and I do not expect him to follow the path that CJ Worton and JoJo Robinson went down last year. FSU didn’t squeeze Worton and Robinson, they had a spot if they wanted it, but Fisher and the staff wasn’t going to stand and f!ght if either wanted to sign elsewhere. I don’t get that impression with Murray. He is a guy the staff will try to hold on to.

FSU liked some young wide receivers at the camp, with junior Larry Collins of South Carolina being one to keep an eye on. He is an excellent athlete who is a bit raw.

Tight End
The only tight end on campus this week that FSU had interest in recruiting was Tennessee 3-star Kyle Oliver. He camped and did well, but did not leave campus with an offer. Now that FSU has 3-star TE Jalen Wilkerson committed, FSU will take their time filling the last spot. They didn’t pass on Oliver all together, they’re just not prepared to offer right now. Oliver has indicated that he’d like to make a decision by the end of July. I do not think FSU will make an offer by then. A source tells me FSU is not concerned about a July commitment, they feel that if they decide to go on him down the road, they’ll still have a good shot at flipping.

Spoke to a couple sources over the past week and I do not feel that FSU is factoring in JUCO TE Josh McNeil. There’s just too many academic questions to think he’ll be able to make it to campus in January. Until further notice, do not consider McNeil a part of the 2015 class.

Defensive End
Getting a commit from 4-star DE Michael Barnett was a step in filling one of the biggest need positions of 2015. Barnett is a guy that has the size and skill to play early at either defensive end position.

There have been a lot of questions regarding how many more defensive ends FSU will take. The answer is two or three. Two more is a must and if FSU can land a third that they feel is elite, they’ll take him. Right now the top remaining targets are 5-star Byron Cowart, 5-star Josh Sweat and 5-star CeCe Jefferson. Sources tell us that the ideal situation would be to pair Cowart and Sweat as the final two with Cowart playing strong side and Sweat on the weak side. Jefferson could fit at either spot.

An intriguing 2015 prospect showed up at camp this week and earned an offer. Delray Atlantic DE Shelton Johnson, who dazzled the coaches with his agility at 6-5, 220. Sources indicate that Johnson projects as an outside linebacker in FSU’s defense. I can’t say for sure right now that he’s a take, but history has shown that Fisher likes athletic prospects in the mold of Johnson. Telvin Smith was of a similar build and so was Lorenzo Featherston, who signed with FSU last year.

4-star DE Austin Bryant did not make it to FSU last week, he visited Clemson. He is expected to make a return trip to Clemson next month. Landing a guy like Barnett has taken a lot of the importance off of landing Bryant, but he remains a Florida State target.

Defensive Tackle
Not a whole lot going on at the defensive tackle position for the June session of camp. Maybe it was because most of the DT targets are coming in July or maybe it was because coach Odell Haggins is still recovering from back surgery.

Defensive tackle remains a big need for the ‘Noles in 2015. Right now they are in a great spot with Virginia 4-star Darvin Taylor. He will likely make his decision before the season starts and everything we’ve been hearing indicates FSU. JUCO DT D.J. Jones is probably the top target right now on the defensive tackle board. The objective with him would be getting him in on a summer visit.

The other top targets include: 5-star Tim Settle, 5-star Daron Payne, 5-star Shy Tuttle, 4-star Neville Gallimore. And even though all signs point to 5-star Trent Thompson heading to UGA, the FSU staff will not stop recruiting him. I’ve been told that Odell Haggins will hang around and continue to recruit Thompson until the ink dries on Signing Day.

Linebacker
FSU is done at linebacker, unless a freak wants in. Brian Bell and Sh’mar Kilby-Lane are in and have a spot. This session Alabama commit Leo Lewis made a visit, FSU would find a way to fit him in if they could flip him. Next session Utah 4-star Porter Gustin will visit and he’s another one that if he wanted in, FSU would try to make room for.

Cornerback
The highlight of the camp may have been Texas 4-star CB Kris Boyd going one-on-one with WR Da’Vante Phillips. Boyd, who was already highly thought of by the staff, did more than just hold his own against the Miami Central standout. Boyd was physical and could run step-for-step with Phillips. Sources back in Texas indicated to Noles247 that it would be worth keeping a close eye on Boyd toward the end of the visit, as there was some buzz he may commit. In the end, Boyd returned home without committing, but the ‘Noles now look like the team to beat. A source tells me Boyd connected with P.J. Williams on the visit and has already reached out to him a couple times since returning home. Boyd has no timetable on his commitment.

The ‘Noles are in good shape with several other corners including 5-star Tarvarus McFadden, they’re working on holding on to 4-star commit Tyrek Cole and will get a closer look at newly offered corner Davante Davis in July when he and a few other Booker T. teammates visit FSU.

Another bit of news I’m hearing is that 5-star Alabama commit Minkah Fitzpatrick is putting together plans to visit FSU during the July camp and I wouldn't rule out him working out if he makes it down from New Jersey. Fitzpatrick is another one that, even though he’s committed, FSU is not giving up on.

Safety
The safety board did not change as a result of camp. FSU wanted to see 3-star local safety Ronnie Harrison workout before offering. Harrison visited, but did not participate in the camp. FSU has invited him back for the July camp in hopes he’ll workout for the staff. Until then, do not expect any change in his offer status.

The goal for July at the safety position will be to get Mississippi 4-star Jamal Peters on campus. He’s the top uncommitted safety recruit on the board and if FSU is hoping to pull him out of his home state, then a summer visit is almost a must. The problem has been that he plays travel baseball and it’s thrown a wrench in his summer visit plans.

General Camp Observations
** One of the more entertaining moments of the camp is when the great Uncle Luke showed up at camp. Luke is currently coaching at Miami Norland and he brought a couple of his players up to the camp. Luke, who is a die-hard ‘Canes fan has a lot of respect for the FSU staff and the feeling is mutual. All the coaches were very welcoming to Luke. Don’t get it mistaken though, he is a fan of ‘The U’. I walked up to several conversations where Luke was talking crap to the staff about what Miami would do to them this year. All in fun, of course.

Luke seemed to spend the most time with FSU defensive tackles coach Odell Haggins. Maybe it’s because Odell, who is recovering from back surgery, spent a majority of each camp session on a golf cart. You could frequently find Luke riding shotgun with Odell. At one point they were watching a drill and chatting, Luke called me over to ask a question about something him and Odell were debating. It was actually a good question, he asked, “how much money do you think Odell has made for his defensive tackles?” Luke was referencing money from NFL contracts and scholarships. He thought it was a billion dollars. He joked that Odell should get a little kickback from some of his NFL success stories.

Odell proceeded to tell a story about former DT Darnell Dockett. After one of his contract extensions Dockett called Odell (who’s an avid fisherman) and told him that he wants to buy him a brand new boat. Dockett said he had it all lined up, all he had to do was call the store and pick the boat. Odell declined the gesture, said his boat works just fine. Dockett insisted, but Odell told him that the only thing he wants from him or any of his former players is for them to be respectable people and good fathers.

** This was the first year the NCAA allowed players to get paid for camp. It couldn’t have worked out better for FSU, coming off a National Championship and all, what kids wouldn’t want to be coached by the players that won a championship?

The thing that surprised me was the dedication and professionalism each player that coached displayed. Not all the players came out to help and the ones that did were held to a standard by the real coaches at each position. For example, they all looked the part. Nobody wore sandals, everyone looked the part, nobody more so than P.J. Williams, who I called a future no.1 camp counselor. He had the typical coaching outfit, from the tucked in polo to the high socks and straw hat, Williams was all-in on the coaching thing.
 2 years ago '05        #3090
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
The players that started coaching on Wednesday were there every day, at every session. They weren’t coming and going as they pleased. At one point Sal Sunseri was getting on Demarcus Walker’s coaching for the reason none of the kids were doing the drill right, and he was serious. Some of the coaches included, LB Matthew Thomas, DB Ronald Darby, DE Dan Hicks, OG Josue Matias, OT Wilson Bell, WR Ermon Lane, WR Travis Rudolph, WR Rashad Greene and S Tyler Hunter.

** There was something different about JImbo Fisher this session. He was loose, calm and generally seemed at ease. I guess a National Championship will do that. Regardless, Fisher was talkative with recruits, parents and the media. Fisher was looked very comfortable in his size 32 pants. Speaking of weight loss, I asked Fisher what his secret was, he said, “eating healthy and exercising more”. Nothing magical there. Fisher said, “feeling like crap” all the time is what motivated him to get rid of the extra weight.

Incoming Visitors
The June camp surprised us a bit with the amount of talent that ended up making it in. The rest of the summer will bring even more top prospects to Tallahassee.

** At the top of the list of incoming visitors might be 2016 QB Malik Henry. He’s the top player in California, the No. 1 dual threat QB in the nation and the 6th best player overall for 2016. I’m told the staff is expecting him to be at the July camp. FSU has only offered about a half-dozen, all of which would be takes right now. However, I’m hearing Henry sits at the top of the board right now.

** Next week, FSU will host 4-star KJ Costello on Thursday, before he heads to Gainesville on Friday. Costello has an offer from FSU. He’s the 3rd ranked pro-style passer in the country and the 13th best player in the state of California for 2016.

** FSU is working on getting 5-star DE Shavar Manuel back on campus. He visited FSU for junior day and has only taken three college visits in total. One to FSU, Alabama and USF. Manuel is the top ranked player in the state of Florida and the No. 1 DE in the nation for 2016.

** Another top 2016 player at his position is expected at the July camp - Keion Joyner. From Havelock, North Carolina, Joyner is the nation’s No. 1 OLB and the second best player overall for 2016.

** Other 2016 prospects expected include 4-star WR Binjimen Victor of Coconut Creek, 4-star OT Chidi Okeke-Valentine and his teammate, 5-star WR Darnell Saloman. Okeke-Valentine and Salomon are from Champagnat Catholic.

** FSU will also have two 2017 studs at camp. First Coast WR D.J. Matthews, a 6-0, 160-pound receiver and Dr. Phillips OT Calvin Ashley, who is an athletic 6-7, 260 as he heads into his sophomore year.

** There will also be plenty of 2015 talent as well including all the names we mentioned earlier in the update, along with 5-star CB Tarvarus McFadden, 5-star WR George Campbell, 5-star S Derwin James and 4-star QB Deondre Francois to name a few.
 2 years ago '08        #3091
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,014 | Props total: 156 156
 F.A.M.E.M.O.B. said:
Just because there isn't great DT's in Florida doesn't mean we shouldn't be busting our a.sses to go find some. We pulled n*ggas out of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, VA, California etc. We should at least have some of these dudes on our board. I know Brew was just in Canada checking in on one of them but I need to start seeing names pop up that we at least busting our a.ss to go try like we are all these DB's.
That's the thing, they are looking national but these kids from other states just grow up and are closer to other programs, elite ones too. The DB recruiting is so great because we have pipelines and the best ones happen to be instate. Jimbo would rather save scholarships then to tuse em on average talent
 2 years ago '05        #3092
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
COOK RUNS 23 MPH....

The Seminoles' 'secret sauce' has been replicated in college football, NFL
Updated:June 23, 2014, 11:16 AM ET
ByDavid M. Hale| ESPN.com
COMMENTS4
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS4
EMAIL
PRINT
[​IMG]SUBSCRIBE
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- It was hot and it was muggy and it was a Friday in the middle of summer, all of which should've been enough to strangle any enthusiasm from a group of Florida State's skill-position players running through offseason drills with the team's strength-and-conditioning staff last week. But as freshman tailbackDalvin Cookeased to a stop after an obviously impressive 40-yard sprint, a mad scientist on the sideline with his face buried in a laptop had everyone's attention.

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
AP Photo/Don Juan MooreFlorida State receiver Rashad Greene has seen the benefits of the technology both on and off the field.
The man is Chris Jacobs, an honest-to-goodness rocket scientist tasked with monitoring every movement the Seminoles make in practice and in the weight room. Jacobs had worked as a propulsion engineer with the space program before government cutbacks forced him out of the job, but a timely meeting with a member of Florida State's booster club brought him here.
The players call him "Rocket Man." Jacobs' computer is fueled by data that arrive in real time, courtesy of GPS monitors the players wear in specially designed straps across their chests -- sports bras the team has renamed "bros" -- that track everything from acceleration rates to heart rates and, most important to the dozens of Seminoles patiently waiting for official results, speed.

Twenty-two point eight, Jacobs confirms, and history is made. Cook's top speed during his 40-yard dash -- 22.8 mph -- pushed him past veteran receiverRashad Greenefor the team's best mark, and the other players quickly offered congratulations to the rookie. Greene, too, was impressed, but also inspired.

For players who just won a national championship by setting offensive records and winning every game by an average of nearly 40 points, this is the value of those GPS devices. They provide the benchmark for a juggernaut for which the biggest challenge comes by competing against itself.

"He beat my record," Greene said. "So I've got to go get him on Monday."

If the players see the monitoring system mostly as a souped-up speedometer, Florida State's coaching staff knows better. For the coaches, it's the technology that has undercut conventional wisdom by providing immediate feedback on every facet of a player's exertion on the field, opening the door to a new way of running practice and designing a program.

"It's not the reason you win," coach Jimbo Fisher said. "But it takes a lot of the guesswork out of how your team is feeling, how individuals are performing and how you moderate practice."

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
Courtesy of Catapult SportsFlorida State first learned of the GPS technology from an Aussie rules football team.
Four years ago, Erik Korem and Joe Danos, who were FSU a.ssistants at the time, brought the idea to Fisher after seeing the devices used by an Australian rules football team. The Australian company that makes them, Catapult Sports, had never had an American football client, but Fisher was quickly sold on the possibilities of designing highly specialized training programs for his athletes that promised increased production and fewer injuries.
"He knew at some point in time, we were going to be ready to face the best of the best, and we had to be a little bit different," head strength coach Vic Viloria said. "His little bit different turned out to be really, really impressive."

Still, there were some immediate concerns. The GPS monitors aren't cheap. Florida State began with 30, which Catapult rented to the team for about $25,000 per year, according to the school's records. In the wake of the Seminoles' national title in January, the team has expanded its use to 95 monitors beginning this spring.

The cost is dwarfed by the sheer scope of information the devices provide. Each GPS monitor returns about 1,000 unique data points per second, which for 95 players practicing for a few hours a day amounts to an overwhelming amount of information for coaches to dissect. Florida State now employs two a.ssistants working full-time hours -- Jacobs and Kratik Malhotra, a data analyst with a degree in electronics engineering -- just to sift through the numbers.

But the most immediate concern was that Florida State was entering uncharted waters. There was no instruction manual for how to apply the devices' output toward American football and no baseline for success.

"We had to educate ourselves on what we were really looking at," Fisher said. "There's a lot of learning. It's not like they print it out and say, 'Do this.'"

The first two years were largely trial and error, a time to collect data and test a.ssumptions. As Jacobs explained, the staff "stepped on a lot of land mines" early on.

Catapult offered help in understanding the data, but it was up to Florida State to decide how to use it. That took time.

"It's an investment in patience more than anything," said Gary McCoy, one of Catapult's sports scientists based in the U.S. Once a plan was in place, however, the results were immense.

Florida State's run to a national championship last year hinged greatly on an unusually low number of injury casualties, which Fisher hardly chalks up to luck. With information gleaned from the GPS devices, Florida State virtually eliminated soft-tissue injuries -- muscle pulls and strains -- and Fisher adjusted the team's practice schedules to reduce midweek workload and ensure his team peaked on Saturdays. The more FSU's coaches learned about the data delivered by the GPS systems, the more the team's conditioning and practices could be tailored to the specific needs of each player.

As Florida State unraveled the potential of the GPS system, others have been quick to follow suit. Five of the Seminoles' a.ssistants have been hired away, including Korem, now with Kentucky, and Danos, now a strength coach with the NFL's New York Giants. There are at least 14 NFL teams using the technology, and a small cadre of affluent college programs have followed suit.

But although they all have access to Catapult's hardware, none has perfected the recipe for using the data quite like Florida State.

"We're OK talking about this," Viloria said, "because everyone else is just learning how to turn the things on."

Jacobs' office is situated in a hallway that bisects Florida State's recently renovated locker room and its state-of-the-art weight room. On a desk next to his computer sit rows of GPS devices; lights flickering like slot machines while they charge. On a white board hanging from the wall, complex algorithms are sketched out in red ink.

"I've got all sorts of goodies in my head I've already started rolling on," Jacobs said. "It's what we nerd types do."

[+] Enlarge[​IMG]
Courtesy of Catapult SportsThe Dallas Cowboys are among the NFL teams who have started to use the technology after seeing Florida State's success.
Of course, the transition from vector curls on a white board to concise reports on Fisher's desk is a crucial ingredient in using the information Florida State is collecting on its players, and the language of rocket scientists doesn't easily translate to coachspeak. Viloria acts as the interpreter. He has made small tweaks, such as converting the output from metric to standard measurements, and has developed complex formulas to help coaches turn the myriad data into concise goals for the coming day's practice.
But although he's a staunch advocate for the GPS systems now, Viloria was hardly an easy convert. After 15 years training football players, Viloria knew how to coach athletes without spreadsheets, and letting math nerds behind the curtain of the jock culture was anathema to the old guard.

"I didn't want to tell a coach that's been doing something for 30 years that he's wrong," Viloria said. "I didn't want to find out that what I'd been doing was wrong."

As it turned out, the GPS devices had the opposite effect. The data didn't uncover any stunning secrets but instead gave Viloria the evidence he needed to better deploy plans he already had embraced. Each day after practice, players drop their monitors off to be downloaded. Jacobs and Malhotra sift through the output and filter out the most significant numbers -- max speeds, total distance, player workload, high-impact change of direction and myriad other measurables -- creating reports that illustrate the physical cost of that day's practice.

Those numbers are passed along to Viloria, who translates the information to Fisher, who then lays out his expectations for the next day's practice. Together, Viloria and Fisher create a detailed plan for each period of each practice using the metrics they've established through years of data collection. For the always-demanding head coach, that often means scaling back what he asks from his players.

"It's against a lot of the thinking you do as a coach," Fisher said. "But the results talk to you as if it's a doctor."

Two years ago, Fisher was troubled by an obvious gap between Greene's routinely impressive practice performances and the receiver's inconsistent numbers on game days. He wanted answers, so he pressed his conditioning staff. It turned out the problem wasn't with Greene. It was with the practices. Greene was Florida State's most refined receiver, so when Fisher would grow agitated with poor routes or dropped balls by other players, he would ask Greene to illustrate the proper form. Again and again, Greene would run a route or catch a pass, and his workload mounted. The GPS device offered clear-cut data that showed Greene was simply doing too much.

Fisher responded by lightening Greene's reps on Wednesdays and Thursdays to ensure a productive Saturday. "My legs were with me in every game last year," said Greene, who set career highs with 76 catches, 1,128 yards and nine touchdowns in 2013.

Little changes in the practice routine can have massive effects on the bottom line of player health, Viloria said. Running laps used to be punishment for poor performance, but now Florida State's staff understood that extra work was just as likely to create more problems the next day.

Of course, the flip side is true, too. As much as players are eager to see results of sprints at practice, the GPS devices can quickly expose those who are slacking. Viloria gets the data in real time and lets coaches know when it's time to crack the whip. In strength training, Viloria said, it's easy to test a player's limits and prescribe a routine. On the practice field, however, effort often was measured by simply asking a player how he felt and recovery times were set uniformly for everyone on the field.

"Historically, there was no way to get a max for what a typical Tuesday is [at practice]," Viloria said. "Now we can do that for every single athlete we have."

This summer's new arrivals at Florida State will get their introductions to the rocket scientist and the GPS monitors this week, and the staff has a unique greeting in mind.

"We're going to make them run," Jacobs said. Coaches will monitor each new freshman to get baselines to prescribe training routines and compare against future results. The process, Jacobs said, has been refined to a science at Florida State.

McCoy was at a meeting with a professional basketball team in New York last week when he got the question he always gets from prospective clients. They want to know who's using the data the best, and McCoy's answer is always Florida State. From the prescriptive practice plans to the unique design of their "bros," FSU's deployment of the technology is the gold standard, having taken Catapult's basic analytics and expanded upon it by leaps and bounds.

It's their secret sauce. If they continue to scout well and they continue to use this model, they're going to build a dynasty out of this. There's no question.

”-- Catapult sports scientist Gary McCoy"It's their secret sauce," McCoy said. "If they continue to scout well and they continue to use this model, they're going to build a dynasty out of this. There's no question."
But Florida State isn't interested in simply continuing with its model. It's working every day to build upon it. Beyond the reams of data sent along to the coaching staff, Jacobs is compiling mountains of information for side projects. He calls it his "black ops."

He's working on a formula to identify players who are at risk for concussions; a potentially monumental advancement for a sport whose very future is threatened by the risk of head injuries. Although the GPS devices are banned from use during games, it is those kinds of advancements that could persuade the NCAA to reverse course.

Fisher said that the devices have already saved a half dozen of his players from heat stroke and that the personalized practice plans allow athletes to stay sharp when their focus turns to academics, too.

"This has been a total culture change," Viloria said. "For [Fisher] to do this, it's beyond cutting edge. He's changed the game."

Fisher has toed the line between championing the progress and protecting his trade secrets, but Florida State has clearly benefited from the emerging hype. Recruits are impressed; the NFL has taken notice; and a program that was languishing in stale traditions five years ago is at the forefront of a brave new world in college football.

For Greene, however, the formula is still pretty simple. The rocket scientist with the laptop is tracking his every move, but it's still Greene who gets to feed the machine.

"We see Rocket Man every day on the field," Greene said, "and we can't wait to hear his voice."
 2 years ago '05        #3093
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
To me, FSU's new defensive coordinator Charles Kelly was the surprise show-stealer of the coaching clinic.

I entered knowing very little about him and wondering if the Seminoles could weather being on their third DC in three years. After a couple of hours listening to Kelly and watching him interact with coaches -- even offering them his email address at one point -- it seemed obvious to me that the talented FSU D is still in very capable hands.
“That impressed me,” one coach told me afterward. “He’s not from (Texas) but acted like he’s been here for 40 years. That’s not easy. We like our own around here.”

It’s not surprising, but Kelly was effusive in his praise for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, whom he ultimately helped best in the last BCS title game.

“People seem to think that these tempo offenses are soft,” Kelly told the clinic. “You line up against Auburn and tell me if you think they’re soft.”

After the slow start against the Tigers, Kelly said the Seminoles didn’t necessarily make any halftime adjustments. Rather, he said they merely cleaned up some of their alignment issues and put more focus on “eye discipline,” recognizing what Auburn was trying to do and then not getting out of position.

Maybe Kelly knew his audience, since Texas high schools mostly run tempo offenses, but he said he had no qualms with pace of play (unlike other defensive-minded coaches in his part of the country).

“I think it’s good for football,” Kelly said. “It gives us an opportunity. It makes things more competitive.”

He made the point that so few coaches make (or see): In the attempt to alter a defense’s rhythm, sometimes a fast-paced offense can undermine itself. Particularly, he said it can cause offenses to get in predictable down-and-distances -- which is always a defensive objective.
 2 years ago '05        #3094
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
Javon Harrison ran a 4.37 today......our WR core is retarded
 2 years ago '10        #3095
Jeezy187 18 heat pts18
space
space
$2,077 | Props total: 494 494
All this sounds good as fu*k!
 2 years ago '06        #3096
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,552 | Props total: 11912 11912
 Junior G said:
his potential is through the roof and he's the best LB in our city....THE CITY OF MIAMI.......

EXCUSE ME .....the whole SOUTH FLORIDA is ours it hurts so bad for our rivals
bi*ch we raping u in 2016 catch up pus*y
 2 years ago '05        #3097
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
 DEDOS said:
bi*ch we raping u in 2016 catch up pus*y
2016 when the 2015 kids aint signed yet..... when we go back to back and yall lose your 5th straight vs us and go 7-6...we'll see who's raping who......even though we are rapin you at the moment.....(2006)....<--- last time Miami won a bowl game.
 2 years ago '05        #3098
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
Pre-event Entry: FSU commit Brewton talks about proving the doubters wrong

I'm really excited about The Opening. I can't wait. I just want to dominate at my position, show why I'm one of the best players and show I can compete against the best. A lot of people say I'm a safety with cornerback skills, but I want to show I can compete with anyone and size doesn't mean anything.

FSU safety commitment Calvin Brewton is one of the participants at The Opening event.
This is my first time in Oregon, so it's going to be a great experience and also a time I can get to know other players to see how they got to that point. There are a lot of players I've never met, so to bond with all the top players is going to be fun.

This will be a stage to prove myself. I know some dropped me in the rankings when I got injured last year. I don't care about the rankings, but I do care about competition and being the best. It's motivation. I'm going to go out there and prove them wrong.

My first event this year was the Nike event in California where I won the best defensive back, but I'm about competing. I have the chance for people to see who I am on the national stage against elite players. You are either going to be the hammer or the nail and I plan on being that hammer.

I think it helps a lot that Derwin and I and a lot of the other Florida guys play in 7-on-7 competitions all the time. We play with some of the top guys in the state and I think the talent here is better than anywhere. So that talent gets us ready for this (event).

When playing 7-on-7, I have to bring a different mindset. For defensive backs, I have to adjust to playing man, press compared to playing off man on some guys. I can't play the same way for every receiver, so that's part of the adjustment. Some teams like to change their schemes on offense, so I can't press as much and change the coverage for the safeties.

On my team (Fly Rush), we have cornerback Kris Boyd. He's one of Florida State's top recruits. He is my main target for this weekend to recruit, that's my teammate. I know he's very high on FSU and he's feeling it with FSU and he talks about them a lot, so I'm working on him. Byron Cowart is also on our team, so I'm going to work on him too.

The Florida State commitments are going to put on a show. I just talked with De'Andre Johnson. He leaves early for the Elite 11 camp, but I know he's going to take over. We want to be at the top. I know Derwin wants to keep that No. 1 safety spot in the country. I want to get back up there too. Tyrek (Cole) wants to show he's the best cornerback around so we are ready.

Five star James plans to recruit hard in Oregon

I'm excited about playing at The Opening. I'm somewhat of a veteran playing at big events. Basically, I will go out and do what I know how to do and dominate. There's some adjustment I have to make with this event because there are guys I haven't faced. I really focus on what their strengths are and attacking, but I have to bring a different approach for certain receivers. What I do when I face them is try to attack their strengths and use it to my advantage. I find their strength and try to take it away.

Gene Williams - Warchant.com

FSU safety commitment Derwin James is also at The Opening event this week.
Some of the guys on my team (Mach Speed) are Ray Ray McCloud, Da'Vante Phillips, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Iman Marshall. I will make sure that Florida State is on their mind.

I've been talking a lot with Ray Ray McCloud. In my conversations, I got the impression that he's leaning towards us unless something changes. He really likes FSU a lot and said that he's going to take an official visit. He likes the atmosphere and the players. He said he really liked the locker rooms, so I'm working on him hard.

I've gone against Ray Ray a lot and he's probably the toughest match-up I've had. He's so quick and runs amazing routes and his first few steps are some of the fastest I've seen. He has soft hands. One mistake and he goes right by you.

This week, I want to target any guy that has Florida State in their top three, is starting to show a lot of interest lately, or thinking about visiting. I want to talk to them about visiting. Even if they might not like it, (I will just say) just give it a look because I know you wont be disappointed in what you have to see. Just check it out and see what it's about.

I know guys like Jacques Patrick, Ray Ray McCloud, obviously Tyrek Cole, Da'Vante Phillips, Deondre Francois, Calvin Ridley, George Campbell, Auden Tate, Jaquan Johnson and Tarvarus McFadden are all very high on Florida State, so those are some of the mains ones I'll talk with. I've talked with Francois a good amount lately. Deondre is usually pretty quiet. I always tell him I bet you are committing to us soon and he just smiles. I have a feeling it's going to be us.

I'm really excited about this class and I'm just trying to build this class to be amazing before we get on campus. So I'm doing everything I can to make that happen, letting everyone know about who the champions are and why FSU is the best place. I tell them "Let's do this together at Florida State."

This week me and De'Andre Johnson will be there and he has been recruiting hard, too. He's a great quarterback and I've played some receiver with him. You would think we have been playing on the same team for a while. Our timing is good. I'm cool with his dad, little brother and just his whole family.

De'Andre is one of the best quarterbacks I've seen this year. He's a very difficult quarterback to break down as a defensive back. What makes him tough is that I try to read the quarterbacks as a safety to see what strengths they have, but he does such a great job at looking off his receivers, going to a second or third option. He will look off a guy, but then already know where the other receiver is going to be and hit him. You can't read his eyes because he'll burn you in how he reads a coverage.
 2 years ago '05        #3099
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
Los vs Cook foot race today

looks like Cook won but barely...check out Los' last 10 yards
 2 years ago '05        #3100
Junior G 105 heat pts105
space
space
This week, more than 100 of the nation's top prospects will be at Nike's headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. The four-day event features 1-on-1s, 7-on-7s and lineman challenges. Two of the event participants, Derwin James (five-star safety from Haines City) and Calvin Brewton (three-star safety from Miami Central) will chronicle their week in our 2014 The Opening Diary feature. (As told to Michael Langston)

Click here for a complete roster.

The players officially arrived on Monday afternoon in Oregon. The event is scheduled to kick off on Tuesday.

Brewton gets the roommate he wanted

"The trip to Oregon was a long one, I'll say that for sure. I can't complain about the weather over here though, it's very nice. Not much humidity at all and very comfortable, but man that was a long flight.

"When we first got here, we got all our gear and got a chance to talk to some media about the event. After we got done with that, we headed to the Nike headquarters to meet guys like De'Anthony Thomas, Tre Mason and Johnny Manziel. They talked about how this is going to be the best event and how we are going to be challenged.

FSU commit Calvin Brewton is ready to compete in The Opening.
"The Nike headquarters was crazy and very impressive. I saw they had a Bo Jackson area for all his gear, which was nice and all the awards he won. I also saw all the new stuff Nike has with shoes and the helmets and jerseys. It was pretty wild. We then had dinner and Trey Mason spoke. He talked about using social media the right way and making sure you are doing things the right way because you have a responsibility.

"Kris Boyd (FSU cornerback target) is my roommate. On Monday night, we spent time just getting to know each other. He's the guy I was focused on getting as a roommate because I got a chance to meet him at the FSU camp and wanted to be in his ear about the Noles. He's feeling FSU. I can tell. We have been talking about winning this tournament. One thing I noticed being around him is he's a pretty funny guy. He doesn't sugar coat anything. Our team has three FSU committments: Me, Deandre (Johnson) and Tyrek (Cole).

"Most of the Florida guys, mainly South Florida guys hung out with each other. I mostly hung out with Tyrek Cole, Calvin Ridley, Da'Vante Phillips, Jaquan Johnson, Kendrell McFadden, Jordan Scarlett, Derwin James and George Campbell. We all know each other well from 7-on-7 or them just being in-state. I spent the most time with Kris Boyd though and wanted him to feel comfortable around the rest of the guys.

"Later that night, we had a team 7-on-7 meeting. This is where you basically talk about strategy and the game plan, who is the captains of the team and how we are going to attack people tomorrow. We also talked about the need to stay hydrated because it's going to be a long day with a combine, but also the 7-on-7 later in the afternoon.

"Everyone is adjusting to the difference in time zones (Pacific time), so that's something we will need to adjust to. I'm going to need to do a lot of stretching before tomorrow because I haven't done a lot of workouts in a while, but I'll be ready.

"I know a lot of people think we talk about our colleges or where we are going, but really we talked about which 7-on-7 team is going to win. I think the team that is the best on paper going in is the "Mach Speed". That's Derwin's team and there is a lot of excitement about them. I mean they have at receiver Auden Tate, Da'Vante Phillips and Jovon Durante, so three really good receivers. They are going to be tough to beat. You look at their roster compared to everyone else's roster, it looks like a mismatch, but that's why they play the game.

"I think we have the best secondary with Kendall Sheffield, Kris Boyd, me and Stephen Johnson. Being around Tyrek is good since we know each other so well that will help on the field."

James already on the recruiting prowl, named captain

"On the flight over, I sat right next to Jacques Patrick, who I always talk with. Me, Jacques, Cecil Cherry and Deondre Farrier.

Derwin James was named team captain.
"I'm really excited to be here in Oregon. I love competition, so this is a perfect setting for me. Our team is pretty loaded. I think we have a great shot at winning this thing. I want that Championship.

"When we got here on Monday, we got a lot of our Nike gear, but then me and George Campbell had to go back and do some photo shoots today and model our uniforms at the ceremony. They get all the captains the model the uniforms for everyone. I'm the captain for our team. That's a big responsibility and means I need to lead by example for our team and be that guy that keeps everything in line.

"I also got a chance to talk with George Campbell, who I can tell loves Florida State, but he doesn't really have a favorite. He doesn't know what he's going to do I could see that, but I know he's going to visit FSU this summer, with Ray Ray McCloud. Someone brought up about Jacques visiting Notre Dame, but he said no, "I pretty much know where I'm going." I feel really good with FSU (for Jacques). Me, Ray Ray, Jacques all have similar conversations about Florida State, but George is a little weird, but he likes FSU a lot.

"On the first day, I didn't really meet anyone new because everyone was trying to get settled in. I would say the guy I hung out the most with is Jacques Patrick because we have always been close. We are like brothers because we both have the same kind of mindset in what we want to do and we are competitive against each other. I did hang out a lot with Minkah Fitzpatrick, who is my roommate. He's committed to Alabama, but he's already told me he's very interested in Florida State and that he will take a visit to Florida State. We just talk about FSU and he tells me that the first visit he really felt at home, but there weren't any people or students there on the visit, so he didn't get a full feel of the campus. That's one of the reasons he wants to get over there again. He wants to be there when everyone is in school. I could tell he's pretty interested.

"I feel we are the best team (at the Opening). They just named the quarterbacks for each team and we got Josh Rosen, who's one of the top quarterbacks in the country and we also got Blake Barnett, who is committed to Alabama, so we are pretty loaded. Our receivers are very good - Da'Vante Phillips, Ray Ray McCloud and Preston Williams. I think it helps our team that we have quite a few guys that I've played against like Da'Vante, Ray Ray, along with some of the cornerbacks I know as well. Everyone knows each other so we are familiar with their playing style.

Derwin James is trying to get more players on board for FSU at the Nike Opening Camp.
"Later in the day, we had some presentations, we heard guys speak like Tre Mason, Johnny Manziel, Trent Dilfer, Ndamukong Suh and D'Anthony Thomas. They talked about social media gets you in trouble and different things with recruiting in making sure you do the right things and how people would pay a lot of money to be in the position we are in. Johnny Manziel was very real about everything. He said he didn't take school seriously and always joking around. Seeing what they are in real life as top athletes makes you feel as a player you can make it.

"Throughout the day and evening, all the state of Florida guys hung out together and the Georgia guys hung out together. The Georgia players feel they are tougher and feel their football is better than ours in Florida. We later had dinner, then got a chance to play video games and other stuff. It was pretty similar to the Five star challenge, but there are a few more things to do at the Opening because they have pool tables and a lot of video games everywhere you look. When you aren't working out or anything like that, they have the big game room.

"I am just focused on what I need to do tomorrow. I'm ready to go and get my forty time right tomorrow when we do all the testing stuff for Sparq. Last year I ran like a 4.53 forty, so I want to get into the 4.4 range. I would say Torrance Gibson and George Campbell have been talking the most trash about running a big forty. Torrance thinks he can get down to a low 4.4 or in the 4.3 range and George ran in that area last year. Jacques has already been talking trash about how he's going to run a faster time than me. I told him our forty will not be faster than mine, so I got to be ready to have a great time, but he's not beating me.

"Overall, it's been a lot of fun except that the flight was so long. The weather is really nice and there's so much to do here with the different type of game rooms, pool tables and they give you a lot of Nike gear. I'm just focused on talking to as many guys as I can about Florida State the next three days and dominating like I know I can on the field. I hate to lose, so our team is going to be ready no question about it. I also want to build a lot of relationships with guys I haven't met before. That's a big part about being here. Of course I'm going to rep my school Florida State."
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Might Be A Stripper But She's A Dime
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Steelers LB James Harrison Gets Hit With His 7th "Random" Drug Test This Y..
82 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
CAM'RON explains y he dont rock with that dirtbag JIM JONES anymore. Speaks on..
192 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
181 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 1 - woman knocked unconscious in Kroger baking aisle for asking ho..
133 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside J.Cole "For Your Eyez Only" [Official Discussion/Anticipation]
313 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Budden calls Hov his idol on IG,
59 comments
1 day ago