Florida State Seminoles Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside 'Who Shot Biggie & Tupac' on FoX Right NOW!!!!! *******NEW INFO RE..
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Derek Wolfe: "If you don’t think America is greatest country, why do you s..
158 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside A Fan Is Burning His NFL Season Tickets on Social Media
51 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA The Bulls and Dwyane Wade have reached agreement on a buyout, per sources.
138 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

3 years ago '05        #3001
Junior G 114 heat pts114 OP
space
space
$53,388 | Props total: 6326 6326
Here are some nuggets and notes I picked from this past weekend's Five-Star Challenge in Baltimore.

Things are looking very good for four-star QB Deondre Francois. He talked up FSU and spent the most time with Jacques Patrick this weekend. Derwin James was also around him a lot. Francois gives off the vibe of a guy that already knows where he's going. I'm also told he called Coach Fisher one time while he was at the Five-Star Challenge just to talk. As I mentioned before, Francois is the top quarterback on FSU's board. He'll end this recruitment in late July and plans to be an early enrollee. Barring a major surprise, I expect the choice to be FSU.

I was actually going to mention this kid in our camp preview, but decided against it because he wasn't a major target. But FSU is still looking at would-be Penn State commit Brandon Wimbush, who I thought was the second-best quarterback this weekend. I'm not saying FSU is heavily involved, but keep him in mind.

I won't waste a lot of time on Jacques Patrick and where things stand because I think most know that FSU is in very good position. He's going to take some visits schools like to Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State. But after being around Patrick, I could tell he's a guy that he knows where he's going. Probably even more so than Francois. When the players were away from the media, Patrick was with Derwin James most of the time and they were both talking up FSU to recruits. I think while Patrick is high on FSU, it really helped spending time with James, who is going through the same thing he is with the recruiting process, etc.

A few notes on receivers. First, Calvin Ridley is far from a solid Alabama commitment. He didn't hang out much with other Alabama commits and I didn't notice him wearing Alabama gear in Baltimore. He was also seen hanging out with Da'Vante Phillips and Tyrek Cole most of the time or other guys from Florida. Ridley is from Coconut Creek.

As mentioned in one of my insider reports, Ridley also gave me a totally different vibe during our spring recruiting tour versus this weekend. He was very open about FSU and how much he liked the offense. When I asked him if he's a solid commitment to Alabama, he said "They are in there", which is usually code for "I'm looking around." I've heard FSU feels good about where they stand with him. I wanted to hold off on that note until after the Five-Star Challenge, but I got that vibe from the FSU side well before the camp, so they've been working hard on him for a while.

There is nothing new to add with Da'Vante Phillips. He was chopping through the players lounge with Tyrek Cole when I was talking with Derwin James for our diary feature and I think he knows he's going to be a Seminole. He's not that interested talking about it because he just wants it to happen and move on. He says he might announce at the Under Armour game. But I don't see him lasting that long. I'm still going to say he commits at the summer camp when he visits.

Junior wide receiver Sam Bruce looks like a Miami/FSU battle all the way at this stage. Think of it as Artavis Scott, Part II. This kid is that good and he was the best receiver on the field on Sunday for the final day of 7-on-7. I get the impression FSU is the favorite after talking with a few people close to Bruce. Some of his family are Miami fans and some are FSU fans, but Sam is a big time FSU fan. I think as long as he feels the same way about FSU on his next few visits, FSU will be tough to beat, especially given Kelvin Benjamin going in the 1st round of the draft. He plans to visit in the next week or two.

One guy that surprised me with his interest in FSU was five-star receiver Tyron Johnson. He was right there with Ridley as the top overall receiver. I thought he was more versatile than Ridley in some ways. Johnson told me on Sunday he will very likely visit FSU. Johnson also hung out a lot with Derwin James and Deondre Francois when I saw them in the team hotel and James confirmed that later. I'm not saying FSU is a major player yet, but he's one to watch for a visit.

There wasn't much news regarding the offensive line this weekend as FSU didn't really have a lot of prospects after Martez Ivey pulled out of the event. But Pat Allen seems to be a possibility. I believe FSU trails Ohio State. However, I could tell after talking with him (after media day), he really likes FSU and I believe if FSU pushes, it can get him. He said FSU hasn't talked to him in two weeks, so they may not be sold on him. But I talked with a few guys that hung out with Allen this weekend and they told me when
they talked about coaches, Allen would always bring up Rick Trickett first. FSU needs to really hammer home the comfort factor like they did with Chad Mavety and Roderick Johnson. Allen's personality is similar to those guys. Allen plans to visit in July.

Don't waste anytime thinking about Drew Richmond as a possibility. I don't see it happening. Richmond likes Trickett, but I don't get any kind of vibe that FSU is going to land this kid. He's going to visit this summer, but has already set a date for September 9 to announce his college choice. That's usually a sign a player knows his decision. He likes Alabama a lot, but I think Ohio State is the team to beat.

The two big fish in the trenches are CeCe Jefferson and Byron Cowart. I've talked to people close to both guys and they don't feel Jefferson and Cowart are a lock anywhere. It's very clear Cowart is concerned with possible coaching turnover at Florida, probably more than Jefferson is. I think the firing of anyone on the defensive staff will have a negative impact, but more so with Cowart. I've also been told that the only holdup in not having FSU in his top five is that Cowart's mom wants to visit FSU. He plans to visit in July, so look for her to join him.

Jefferson is also holding off on a decision in order to see how teams do this year. I'm told Florida has pushed to get a commitment from both of them. Like Cowart, FSU will need to get Jefferson's mother on campus. He visits on Wednesday with his father, but I'm told his mother is also trying to make sure she visits with them. It's imperative for FSU to get her there or it's going to be a very tough to land him. Sal Sunseri has made a lot of strides for FSU by building a relationship with his parents. Now FSU needs to do that in person.

On to cornerbacks: Tyrek Cole, Tarvarus McFadden, Iman Marshall and Minkah Fitzpatrick. This is getting ridiculous with the number of targets the 'Noles still have left on the board at this position. I still feel Cole is pretty firm with his commitment. He spent all of his time with FSU commitments or targets this weekend. Also the fact that he visited FSU twice this summer shows how interested he is. One thing I thought was interesting was he didn't mention visiting Miami at all for his summer visits. He does plan to visit Alabama and South Carolina. Earlier this year, I thought there was a decent chance he could flip, but it's hard for me to see it now with the Florida teams slipping. The Gators and Hurricanes are still in there, but they aren't really a threat at this stage.

McFadden, a five-star, is one of the big fish I feel FSU needs to land. I think if FSU can get him to visit one more time, that might do the trick. McFadden isn't like a lot of kids enamored by SEC talk. He knows he's a great player that can play anywhere. It's not a blowout lead for FSU right now, but I would call it a significant margin between FSU and LSU. He just hasn't experienced the comfort he has at FSU anywhere else (and he's been to LSU and Auburn). This past weekend, McFadden hung out with Derwin James, Calvin Ridley, Tyrek Cole, Jacques Patrick and Sam Bruce.

Fitzpatrick is firm to Alabama, but is intrigued by FSU. I think he felt comfortable at FSU, but losing Pruitt hurt its because Fitzpatrick
doesn't know how the corners will be used this year. I think that played a big part in him choosing Alabama based on my conversations off the record with Fitzpatrick and those close to him. That's one of the reasons he wants to visit FSU again and possibly schedule an official visit. He should fine out more about the corners and Charles Kelly's defense then.

Marshall has legit interest in FSU. He isn't big on conferences and I don't think he's worried about distance. Since he is from the West Coast (Long Beach, Calif.) I think comfort will be a tough sell for FSU unless it can get him on campus a few times. I spoke with a few people close to Marshall and they said Marshall mentions FSU quite often, along with Notre Dame. Still, the distance will be a tough sell.

Other prospects: Ray Ray McCloud says he'll visit in July, but I'm going to tell you right now, I don't believe there's much of a chance for FSU. I think it comes down to three schools: Tennessee, Florida and Clemson. I've heard Clemson has a slight lead. I just get the vibe that playing time is the most important thing. Some feel McCloud is concerned about competition, but who knows.
At this point I'll be surprised if he ends up at FSU.

Some other notes I'll throw in. I think Daron Payne is more of an Alabama/Auburn battle at this stage. Same situation as of a few of the other guys that haven't visited. FSU needs to have him on campus a couple of times before I would consider it a threat. Safety Rashad Roundtree is a possibility as well. I get the vibe he favors Duke right now, but keep in mind, he's only visited a couple places. He talked about a two coaches this weekend. One was from Duke and the other was Charles Kelly, so the bond is there, but I think FSU will need a heavy dose of Myron Rolle on his summer visit to make an impact because the Blue Devils seemed to be on his mind.

No I didn't forget about Derwin James, but what else is there to add? His diary pretty much says it all.
 3 years ago '05        #3002
space
space
 904Nole said:
I hope so lol.

CeCe and Cowart are gators. It's crazy how we cant get n*ggas from there no matter HOW much better we are than Florida.
They coach a Gaytor f*g aint he? if so nuff said
 3 years ago '08        #3003
F.A.M.E.M.O.B. 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,072 | Props total: 143 143
Everybody knows I trust Jimbo prolly more then anybody on this board but I'm nervous about our DT recruiting. That's an area of need and I'm not seeing no studs or big names coming across our board. I know we have a couple of prospects in VA that seem promising but we need to bring in at least 3-4
 3 years ago '05        #3004
space
space
nothin new to us we been knew he was the truth since a freshman but

Florida State’s Rashad Greene is Mel Kiper’s top senior wide receiver in the country.

Kiper had this to say of Greene:

“Nobody who watched most of FSU’s games last year would say Benjamin was the team’s best receiver. That was Greene. Stanford’s Ty Montgomery, Louisville’s DaVante Parker, Baylor’s Antwan Goodley and UNLV’s Devante Davis round out the top five at the position.”
 3 years ago '05        #3005
space
space
 F.A.M.E.M.O.B. said:
Everybody knows I trust Jimbo prolly more then anybody on this board but I'm nervous about our DT recruiting. That's an area of need and I'm not seeing no studs or big names coming across our board. I know we have a couple of prospects in VA that seem promising but we need to bring in at least 3-4
just give it time....we had a good class last year. jimbo will pluck who he wants....again we run sh*t this year and you know everybody gonna keep jumpin on....sh*t if we back to back it's over for everybody including bama. if we want em they comin
 3 years ago '05        #3006
space
space
Jimbos Camp today....day 1

Tyler n Kelly coachin up the DBs

[pic - click to view]

Shad coachin the WRs

[pic - click to view]

Darby coachin the DBs too

[pic - click to view]

Walker coachin the DE's

[pic - click to view]

Walker n Cash

[pic - click to view]

Darby n Tyler

[pic - click to view]

PJ

[pic - click to view]

Ermon, Bobo and Rudolph

[pic - click to view]

3 years ago '08        #3007
space
space
 Junior G said:
just give it time....we had a good class last year. jimbo will pluck who he wants....again we run sh*t this year and you know everybody gonna keep jumpin on....sh*t if we back to back it's over for everybody including bama. if we want em they comin
I'm not worried about commitments at this stage. That be the paranoid n*ggas. I'm worried about our board. I don't really see any DT's outside of the ones in VA that are even on our board and we need to pull at least 3-4
 3 years ago '08        #3008
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,358 | Props total: 1322 1322
This just may not be a great year for DT's. The very top tier n*ggas just happen to be fans of other programs growing up. But every year without fail we end up getting a few n*ggas we shouldnt get so I wouldnt worry
 3 years ago '05        #3009
space
space
Only 1 four star DT in Florida this year nuff said
 3 years ago '05        #3010
space
space
Good Heavens Mario is a grown man

3 years ago '05        #3011
space
space

[pic - click to view]

Lane & Phillips

[pic - click to view]

3 years ago '08        #3012
space
space
Just because there isn't great DT's in Florida doesn't mean we shouldn't be busting our a.sses to go find some. We pulled n*ggas out of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, VA, California etc. We should at least have some of these dudes on our board. I know Brew was just in Canada checking in on one of them but I need to start seeing names pop up that we at least busting our a.ss to go try like we are all these DB's.
 3 years ago '11        #3013
mester 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,603 | Props total: 478 478
This is the first year since I started following recruiting that I dont have a clue who we been after.. I know dudes like McFadden, Phillips.. Mainly skill postions.. But in the trenches on both o and d I have'nt really heard that many names beside Josh Sweat.. And I know trenton thompson visited early in the year but thats it..And I just happen to glance at Sweat crystall ball prediction to know we was in it for him.. I aint worried tho just kinda weird..

Yall got any names I could check out???? Im kinda outta the loop a lil this cycle..Might be because of that ring we just won
 3 years ago '08        #3014
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
Recruiting doesnt warm up to about Fall so you straight really. Honestly getting too deep in recruiting this early is like self-torture. The n*ggas you should know are probably the n*ggas you already know. We're holding off from taking commits kinda cuz a lot of our main targets don't plan to commit until late Fall
 06-14-2014, 08:40 AM         #3015
TJ7 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I took 2 of our players to UF's camp last Friday and the best DL in the camp had FSU gloves on...lol.
 3 years ago '05        #3016
space
space
Florida State landed one of the nation’s top defensive ends Michael Barnett.

The four-star defensive end just spent three days at FSU and opted to commit to the Seminoles early Sunday afternoon.

“Because I like the staff,” Barnett first told 247Sports.com on Sunday afternoon. “They have my major (Broadcast Journalism). (Defensive ends) coach (Sal) Sunseri pushed me at camp. He taught me new things. He helped me with my footwork and reading blocks.”

The nation’s No. 11 stronside defensive end informed Jimbo Fisher of his decision moments ago.

“He was just really happy and excited,” Barnett said.

The No. 3 overall prospect in the state of South Carolina chose Florida State over offers from Clemson, North Carolina State, Florida, Virginia Tech, Alabama and many others.

“I just really like it there,” Barnett said. “I like how they play together as a team to achieve one common goal.”

As a junior, Barnett racked up 89 tackles with 31 tackles for loss and seven sacks.

“My strength is my size,” Barnett said. “I can easily put on more weight. Coach Sal is I only need to work on my hands and being less hesitant.”

The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder from Dorchester (SC) Woodland runs a 4.7-second 40-yard dash.
 3 years ago '08        #3017
space
space
Not sure if you boys heard but FAU's punter left the team. He could end up at FSU. He was one of the best punters in the nation last year. If we land him you might as well hang up the 2014 season because there would be no weakness on the squad.
 3 years ago '05        #3018
space
space
We’ve learned a lot since the end of June’s camp session. Let’s recap, position-by-position, where things stand in recruiting.

Quarterback
Camp didn’t change much in terms of where things stand on the quarterback board.

4-star QB Kai Locksley made it in for a one day, two night visit. From all accounts it went very well. He spent time with Jimbo Fisher and Randy Sanders at camp on Friday. After the session ended Locksley went back to the dorms and spent some downtime with the players on the team.

We do know the staff plans on taking at least one more quarterback to go along with current commit De’Andre Johnson. Johnson was on campus for two days visiting, but he did not work out. He has worked out at past camps.

The question is, who will Fisher take for the final spot?

Right now I feel most confident in saying Deondre Francois will be in this class. I think FSU would also take a commitment from Locksley. However, I do not think Locksley will choose FSU if Francois has already committed. Not because he’s scared of competition, it’s just that three quarterbacks in one class is a bit much. Locksley has several other options. I am still being told Maryland is very unlikely at this point. That could change if other options are filled, but for now I think Texas and Auburn are more likely than Maryland if things don’t work with FSU.

The situation at quarterback still has potential to change, but after the June session of camp, that’s how I see things shaking out.

Running Back
Nothing that took place at camp changed anything on the running back board for 2015. 4-star backs Jacques Patrick and Johnny Frasier are the top choices. 4-star RB Jordan Scarlett could be FSU’s if they miss on one of Patrick or Frasier.

It’s possible all three visit for the July camp.

Coach Jay Graham had an excellent 2016 running back on campus for four days. 5-star New Jersey back Kareem Walker didn’t work out, but he was on campus from Tuesday until Friday. Just getting him on campus for a multiple day visit as a junior-to-be is a big accomplishment. Not only that, but Graham was able to spend a significant amount of time with him because there weren’t any other real targets on campus.

Manatee 2016 RB Johnnie Lang came in a little smaller than FSU would ideally want. He’s got good explosion and top end speed, but if he’s going to be 5-8, FSU would like to see him closer to 190-195 instead of the 180-pounds he’s currently at. They like him enough though that they’ll continue to keep tabs on him during his junior season. There’s still time for him to add weight.

Offensive Line
Nothing that happened at camp this session changed the 2015 board for the ‘Noles.

It’s worth noting that FSU commit Cole Minshew came in looking like he dropped a few pounds since the last time he was on campus. He performed very well at the Big Man Camp and things seem to be solid with him and the ‘Noles. That doesn’t mean his recruitment is over. He’s one that FSU is going to have to continue to recruit and fend off Georgia and Auburn until the end. Things should wrap up for him in the next month.

As we explained, the coach at Montverde coach was unexpectedly fired last week which left 4-star OT Abdul Bello without a ride to Tallahassee. New Smyrna Beach 4-star OT Jalen Merrick was never confirmed to make it in, instead he will visit in July.

After those two, FSU also has 4-star OT Christian Pellage as an expected viitor coming in next month. Bello, Merrick and Pellage all have FSU in their top three (unofficially) from what I’m hearing. Bello, Merrick and Pellage could all end up being UF/FSU battles.

Trinity Catholic offensive lineman Geron Christian made it to camp and impressed with his athleticism. He was not offered at the camp, but could earn one down the road. He’s more of an interior guy for the ‘Noles.

The FSU staff is very confident in where they stand with the offensive line. They are able to be picky this year and don’t have to move as quickly with their offers. A good example of this is with First Coast 4-star OT William Sweet. He visited this week and did not work out. While he was there the FSU staff did not pay him a lot of attention because at this time they feel good about the recruits at the top of the board.

A couple 2016 offensive linemen showed up on campus that will make the 2016 OL recruiting board. DeMatha Catholic 2016 offensive tackle J.P. Urquidez worked out at camp and earned an offer before he left. Urquidez is a 4-star prospect and measured in at 6-7, 300. Another 2016 prospect that stood out was West Orange offensive tackle Stone Forsythe. With a name like Stone, how can you go wrong on the offensive line? He participated in the big man camp and even though he wasn’t offered over the weekend, there is still a good chance he will be in the future. Forstyhe is not ranked yet, but he’s a big athletic, 6-6, 300.

Wide Receiver
The top wide receiver target at the camp was 4-star Da’Vante Phillips, who we feel is in the boat and his (public) commitment will be a formality at this point.

FSU is looking to finish with a big receiver class, literally. With 3-star slot receiver Nyqwan Murray committed, FSU will try to add size to the rest of the class. 5-star George Campbell, 4-star Auden Tate and 4-star Alabama commit Calvin Ridley sit atop the board. I’d also expect FSU to go back in on 4-star Clemson commit Deon Cain. If he shows to FSU’s summer camp in July, then I’ll consider him back in the fold as a top target.

I also want to clarify the level of interest FSU has in Nyqwan Murray. I’m told the staff holds him in high regard and I do not expect him to follow the path that CJ Worton and JoJo Robinson went down last year. FSU didn’t squeeze Worton and Robinson, they had a spot if they wanted it, but Fisher and the staff wasn’t going to stand and f!ght if either wanted to sign elsewhere. I don’t get that impression with Murray. He is a guy the staff will try to hold on to.

FSU liked some young wide receivers at the camp, with junior Larry Collins of South Carolina being one to keep an eye on. He is an excellent athlete who is a bit raw.

Tight End
The only tight end on campus this week that FSU had interest in recruiting was Tennessee 3-star Kyle Oliver. He camped and did well, but did not leave campus with an offer. Now that FSU has 3-star TE Jalen Wilkerson committed, FSU will take their time filling the last spot. They didn’t pass on Oliver all together, they’re just not prepared to offer right now. Oliver has indicated that he’d like to make a decision by the end of July. I do not think FSU will make an offer by then. A source tells me FSU is not concerned about a July commitment, they feel that if they decide to go on him down the road, they’ll still have a good shot at flipping.

Spoke to a couple sources over the past week and I do not feel that FSU is factoring in JUCO TE Josh McNeil. There’s just too many academic questions to think he’ll be able to make it to campus in January. Until further notice, do not consider McNeil a part of the 2015 class.

Defensive End
Getting a commit from 4-star DE Michael Barnett was a step in filling one of the biggest need positions of 2015. Barnett is a guy that has the size and skill to play early at either defensive end position.

There have been a lot of questions regarding how many more defensive ends FSU will take. The answer is two or three. Two more is a must and if FSU can land a third that they feel is elite, they’ll take him. Right now the top remaining targets are 5-star Byron Cowart, 5-star Josh Sweat and 5-star CeCe Jefferson. Sources tell us that the ideal situation would be to pair Cowart and Sweat as the final two with Cowart playing strong side and Sweat on the weak side. Jefferson could fit at either spot.

An intriguing 2015 prospect showed up at camp this week and earned an offer. Delray Atlantic DE Shelton Johnson, who dazzled the coaches with his agility at 6-5, 220. Sources indicate that Johnson projects as an outside linebacker in FSU’s defense. I can’t say for sure right now that he’s a take, but history has shown that Fisher likes athletic prospects in the mold of Johnson. Telvin Smith was of a similar build and so was Lorenzo Featherston, who signed with FSU last year.

4-star DE Austin Bryant did not make it to FSU last week, he visited Clemson. He is expected to make a return trip to Clemson next month. Landing a guy like Barnett has taken a lot of the importance off of landing Bryant, but he remains a Florida State target.

Defensive Tackle
Not a whole lot going on at the defensive tackle position for the June session of camp. Maybe it was because most of the DT targets are coming in July or maybe it was because coach Odell Haggins is still recovering from back surgery.

Defensive tackle remains a big need for the ‘Noles in 2015. Right now they are in a great spot with Virginia 4-star Darvin Taylor. He will likely make his decision before the season starts and everything we’ve been hearing indicates FSU. JUCO DT D.J. Jones is probably the top target right now on the defensive tackle board. The objective with him would be getting him in on a summer visit.

The other top targets include: 5-star Tim Settle, 5-star Daron Payne, 5-star Shy Tuttle, 4-star Neville Gallimore. And even though all signs point to 5-star Trent Thompson heading to UGA, the FSU staff will not stop recruiting him. I’ve been told that Odell Haggins will hang around and continue to recruit Thompson until the ink dries on Signing Day.

Linebacker
FSU is done at linebacker, unless a freak wants in. Brian Bell and Sh’mar Kilby-Lane are in and have a spot. This session Alabama commit Leo Lewis made a visit, FSU would find a way to fit him in if they could flip him. Next session Utah 4-star Porter Gustin will visit and he’s another one that if he wanted in, FSU would try to make room for.

Cornerback
The highlight of the camp may have been Texas 4-star CB Kris Boyd going one-on-one with WR Da’Vante Phillips. Boyd, who was already highly thought of by the staff, did more than just hold his own against the Miami Central standout. Boyd was physical and could run step-for-step with Phillips. Sources back in Texas indicated to Noles247 that it would be worth keeping a close eye on Boyd toward the end of the visit, as there was some buzz he may commit. In the end, Boyd returned home without committing, but the ‘Noles now look like the team to beat. A source tells me Boyd connected with P.J. Williams on the visit and has already reached out to him a couple times since returning home. Boyd has no timetable on his commitment.

The ‘Noles are in good shape with several other corners including 5-star Tarvarus McFadden, they’re working on holding on to 4-star commit Tyrek Cole and will get a closer look at newly offered corner Davante Davis in July when he and a few other Booker T. teammates visit FSU.

Another bit of news I’m hearing is that 5-star Alabama commit Minkah Fitzpatrick is putting together plans to visit FSU during the July camp and I wouldn't rule out him working out if he makes it down from New Jersey. Fitzpatrick is another one that, even though he’s committed, FSU is not giving up on.

Safety
The safety board did not change as a result of camp. FSU wanted to see 3-star local safety Ronnie Harrison workout before offering. Harrison visited, but did not participate in the camp. FSU has invited him back for the July camp in hopes he’ll workout for the staff. Until then, do not expect any change in his offer status.

The goal for July at the safety position will be to get Mississippi 4-star Jamal Peters on campus. He’s the top uncommitted safety recruit on the board and if FSU is hoping to pull him out of his home state, then a summer visit is almost a must. The problem has been that he plays travel baseball and it’s thrown a wrench in his summer visit plans.

General Camp Observations
** One of the more entertaining moments of the camp is when the great Uncle Luke showed up at camp. Luke is currently coaching at Miami Norland and he brought a couple of his players up to the camp. Luke, who is a die-hard ‘Canes fan has a lot of respect for the FSU staff and the feeling is mutual. All the coaches were very welcoming to Luke. Don’t get it mistaken though, he is a fan of ‘The U’. I walked up to several conversations where Luke was talking crap to the staff about what Miami would do to them this year. All in fun, of course.

Luke seemed to spend the most time with FSU defensive tackles coach Odell Haggins. Maybe it’s because Odell, who is recovering from back surgery, spent a majority of each camp session on a golf cart. You could frequently find Luke riding shotgun with Odell. At one point they were watching a drill and chatting, Luke called me over to ask a question about something him and Odell were debating. It was actually a good question, he asked, “how much money do you think Odell has made for his defensive tackles?” Luke was referencing money from NFL contracts and scholarships. He thought it was a billion dollars. He joked that Odell should get a little kickback from some of his NFL success stories.

Odell proceeded to tell a story about former DT Darnell Dockett. After one of his contract extensions Dockett called Odell (who’s an avid fisherman) and told him that he wants to buy him a brand new boat. Dockett said he had it all lined up, all he had to do was call the store and pick the boat. Odell declined the gesture, said his boat works just fine. Dockett insisted, but Odell told him that the only thing he wants from him or any of his former players is for them to be respectable people and good fathers.

** This was the first year the NCAA allowed players to get paid for camp. It couldn’t have worked out better for FSU, coming off a National Championship and all, what kids wouldn’t want to be coached by the players that won a championship?

The thing that surprised me was the dedication and professionalism each player that coached displayed. Not all the players came out to help and the ones that did were held to a standard by the real coaches at each position. For example, they all looked the part. Nobody wore sandals, everyone looked the part, nobody more so than P.J. Williams, who I called a future no.1 camp counselor. He had the typical coaching outfit, from the tucked in polo to the high socks and straw hat, Williams was all-in on the coaching thing.
 3 years ago '05        #3019
space
space
The players that started coaching on Wednesday were there every day, at every session. They weren’t coming and going as they pleased. At one point Sal Sunseri was getting on Demarcus Walker’s coaching for the reason none of the kids were doing the drill right, and he was serious. Some of the coaches included, LB Matthew Thomas, DB Ronald Darby, DE Dan Hicks, OG Josue Matias, OT Wilson Bell, WR Ermon Lane, WR Travis Rudolph, WR Rashad Greene and S Tyler Hunter.

** There was something different about JImbo Fisher this session. He was loose, calm and generally seemed at ease. I guess a National Championship will do that. Regardless, Fisher was talkative with recruits, parents and the media. Fisher was looked very comfortable in his size 32 pants. Speaking of weight loss, I asked Fisher what his secret was, he said, “eating healthy and exercising more”. Nothing magical there. Fisher said, “feeling like crap” all the time is what motivated him to get rid of the extra weight.

Incoming Visitors
The June camp surprised us a bit with the amount of talent that ended up making it in. The rest of the summer will bring even more top prospects to Tallahassee.

** At the top of the list of incoming visitors might be 2016 QB Malik Henry. He’s the top player in California, the No. 1 dual threat QB in the nation and the 6th best player overall for 2016. I’m told the staff is expecting him to be at the July camp. FSU has only offered about a half-dozen, all of which would be takes right now. However, I’m hearing Henry sits at the top of the board right now.

** Next week, FSU will host 4-star KJ Costello on Thursday, before he heads to Gainesville on Friday. Costello has an offer from FSU. He’s the 3rd ranked pro-style passer in the country and the 13th best player in the state of California for 2016.

** FSU is working on getting 5-star DE Shavar Manuel back on campus. He visited FSU for junior day and has only taken three college visits in total. One to FSU, Alabama and USF. Manuel is the top ranked player in the state of Florida and the No. 1 DE in the nation for 2016.

** Another top 2016 player at his position is expected at the July camp - Keion Joyner. From Havelock, North Carolina, Joyner is the nation’s No. 1 OLB and the second best player overall for 2016.

** Other 2016 prospects expected include 4-star WR Binjimen Victor of Coconut Creek, 4-star OT Chidi Okeke-Valentine and his teammate, 5-star WR Darnell Saloman. Okeke-Valentine and Salomon are from Champagnat Catholic.

** FSU will also have two 2017 studs at camp. First Coast WR D.J. Matthews, a 6-0, 160-pound receiver and Dr. Phillips OT Calvin Ashley, who is an athletic 6-7, 260 as he heads into his sophomore year.

** There will also be plenty of 2015 talent as well including all the names we mentioned earlier in the update, along with 5-star CB Tarvarus McFadden, 5-star WR George Campbell, 5-star S Derwin James and 4-star QB Deondre Francois to name a few.
 3 years ago '08        #3020
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
 F.A.M.E.M.O.B. said:
Just because there isn't great DT's in Florida doesn't mean we shouldn't be busting our a.sses to go find some. We pulled n*ggas out of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, VA, California etc. We should at least have some of these dudes on our board. I know Brew was just in Canada checking in on one of them but I need to start seeing names pop up that we at least busting our a.ss to go try like we are all these DB's.
That's the thing, they are looking national but these kids from other states just grow up and are closer to other programs, elite ones too. The DB recruiting is so great because we have pipelines and the best ones happen to be instate. Jimbo would rather save scholarships then to tuse em on average talent
Home      

most viewed right now
How many sperm cells are these women responsible for wasting?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
You in LA for the weekend with the homies and you see this ..what you doing?
76 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron stans can buy "U Bum" shirts in reference to Trump for $21.99
28 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Harvard Study: Apple Slows Down old iPhones to Sell Millions of New M..
91 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
T-Mobile and Sprint To Announce Their Merger In October
34 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sep 23 - Newsweek has Trump pegged...
35 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DC rapper Fat Trel Released from Prison Goes Live on Instagram!
99 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Xclusive: GAMBIT Story Details Are Here!
48 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy