CNN Says Nas Is "The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time"

most viewed right now
 Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
55 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
202 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NCAAF Georgia LB Natrez Patrick was arrested for this amount of weed
26 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 NBA KD is easily the best player in the NBA
32 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
6255 pageviews
93 comments

SM 38191 heat pts38191
space
space
$127,989 | Props total: 67617 67617
CNN Says Nas Is "The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time"

Nas is good, but CNN thinks Nas is damn good. In a story titled "A case for Nas, hip-hop's finest MC" the news outlet defends its stance that the man born Nasir Jones is "the greatest lyricist of all time."

The story cites Nas' longevity, he turns 40 next summer—and the the gift of rhyme, of course—as one of the main reasons for the lofty praise, both qualitatively and quantitatively.

With "Life is Good," Nas dropped his ninth No. 1 hip-hop album since 1994. Seven of those have gone platinum, which places him second among rappers only to Jay-Z with 11. (We're not counting compilations or collaborations here, only original solo efforts, and yes, Tupac Shakur had nine, but five were posthumous releases.)

It also ties Nas with Snoop Dogg or Snoop Lion or whatever his name is, and it puts the Queens native one plaque ahead of Eminem, Too Short, OutKast and LL Cool J, all of whom belong in the greatest-ever discussion, as well.

As for the inevitable, "What about Tupac and Biggie?" question, Nas acknowledge the greatness of the late rap icons. "I just think Biggie was something else. He was the Hitchcock of this thing, man," Nas told CNN. "He told you a story. There was a seriousness that came with it that can't compare with nothing."

The "Cherry Wine" rapper added, "I'd probably be better if they were still around. I think I'd be a lot better."

If you're a true rap fans you've already thought of that line from Jay-Z's "Where I'm From": "I from where ni--as pull your card, and argue all day about who's the best MC's, Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas."

And as for Hova in this debate, according to CNN writer Eliott C. McLaughlin, the Brooklyn MC is most definitely skilled, but only has the edge on Nas when it comes to business side of the game:

Here is where that "lyricist" v. "hip-hop artist" distinction becomes important.

Jay-Z said it best himself: He's not a businessman; he's a business, man. When you consider 11 of his albums have sold at least a million copies -- seven of those 2 million or more -- as have his four collaborations, two with R. Kelly and one each with Linkin Park and Kanye West, it's as if Hova is King Midas, but with platinum.

He's a hit maker extraordinaire, maybe the world's best, but that doesn't translate to best lyricist. Jay-Z acknowledged as much on "Moment of Clarity" when he rhymed, "If skills sold, truth be told/I'd probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli."

Even in dissing Nas on "Takeover," he explained why he had sampled Nas' lyrics on "Dead Presidents": "So yeah, I sampled your voice; you was using it wrong/you made it a hot line; I made it a hot song."

Not a bad argument at all. Let us know who you think is the "greatest lyricist of all time" in the comments.

[pic - click to view]

CNN Says Nas Is "The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time" | Hip-Hop Wired

93 comments for "CNN Says Nas Is "The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time""

5 years ago '10        #2
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
Oh... CNN..

Well that changes everything, seeing as they're known for their profound hip hop acumen.

01-06-2013, 09:21 AM         #3
Drone 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Who cares what CNN say. Can't take anyone there seriously.
 5 years ago '12        #4
Laronla 426 heat pts426
space
space
space
$7,145 | Props total: 16723 16723
I respect it. I don't think Nas can see Lupe in that department though
 5 years ago '04        #5
BackBlock_OG 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,958 | Props total: 1094 1094
I think Hov's GOAT, but I agree w/ CNN.
 5 years ago '04        #6
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
I don't really know if we should say " CNN says" since it's just ONE guy who wrote the article

I dont mind the opinion but rather how they got to their conclusion

so let me get this straight, this guy who wrote the article thinks Nas is the greatest because

- Pac and Big died too early to be considered ( even though Pac released more material in his short 5 year span than 95% of rappers do in their entire career)

-Eminem debuted too late to be compared with Nas so Nas takes precedent because of his seniority which they pass on as longevity.

- They say Jay can't hold a candle to Nas because all he does is make "catchy hits " and says Jay even admitted it when he said " you made it a hot line, I made it a hot song"

I can respect someone thinking Nas is the GOAT but this guy's criteria and justifications are all over the place and the article is very poorly written, it's like CNN just let some random high school blogger write this.
 5 years ago '12        #7
You Hater 1447 heat pts1447
space
space
$42,397 | Props total: 19885 19885
 Laronla said:
k!ll yourself
 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM         #8
Satire 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
CNN is right
 5 years ago '10        #9
A.Dot789 1053 heat pts1053
space
space
$13,942 | Props total: 8040 8040
Since when did y'all care about what CNN says...
 5 years ago '10        #10
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,552 | Props total: 199 199
 Laronla said:
dp u mongos actually believe the sh*t u type
 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM         #11
Phillipmcd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
And CNN had the greatest news coverage of the Gulf War of all time

Embed isn't working for whatever reason
 5 years ago '10        #12
airmax 2 heat pts
space
space
$420 | Props total: 32 32
 Laronla said:
Stop It.
I'm a Lupe stan at heart even I can't cosign that sh*t Wasalu ain't touchin Nas.. Sorry.

Last edited by airmax; 01-06-2013 at 10:11 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #13
Skammy Gee 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,210 | Props total: 109 109
inb4ithoughitwascaponennoreaga
 5 years ago '04        #14
evl_z4y 
space
space
$93 | Props total: 0 0
Them fools just tryin to revive Queens

they forgot about Popavelli
 5 years ago '12        #15
The Consultant 367 heat pts367
space
space
$25,324 | Props total: 30393 30393
 psylence2k said:
I don't really know if we should say " CNN says" since it's just ONE guy who wrote the article

I dont mind the opinion but rather how they got to their conclusion

so let me get this straight, this guy who wrote the article thinks Nas is the greatest because

- Pac and Big died too early to be considered ( even though Pac released more material in his short 5 year span than 95% of rappers do in their entire career)

-Eminem debuted too late to be compared with Nas so Nas takes precedent because of his seniority which they pass on as longevity.

- They say Jay can't hold a candle to Nas because all he does is make "catchy hits " and says Jay even admitted it when he said " you made it a hot line, I made it a hot song"

I can respect someone thinking Nas is the GOAT but this guy's criteria and justifications are all over the place and the article is very poorly written, it's like CNN just let some random high school blogger write this.
Exactly...I mean Nas is my fav as well but the article doesn't really have any merit behind it.
 01-06-2013, 10:48 AM         #16
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1 win, 84,658 losses
 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM         #17
Jeezydasnowman 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
haha CNN lies you guys dont know that?

01-06-2013, 11:22 AM         #18
Hotboy1982 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Krypton said:
Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z (from '96 to '03), Canibus, Rakim, Cormega, Black Though, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Chino XL, Ras Kass, Big Punisher, Kool G Rap > Nas. He's not even the greatest lyricist from QUEENS.
i agree with everything expect for cormega chino xl
 5 years ago '09        #19
UrbanEnterprise 62 heat pts62
space
space
$18,474 | Props total: 11359 11359
i thought this was known already

Nas is the greatest lyricist ever

not the greatest hip hop artist though
 5 years ago '07        #20
Legend88 1 heat pts
space
space
$888 | Props total: 0 0
Nas the GOAT
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
87 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
43 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
99 comments
18 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
105 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
56 comments
20 hours ago