django unchained:a interesting review

most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
94 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #61
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,824 | Props total: 57 57
 Matt504 said:
Quentin Tarantino is a clear example of a White who strives for and even goes as far as imitating the inherent hipness that Blacks have.

he grew up partaking in black culture, therefore he acts the way he does. the guy in the review essentially said quentin's main reason for making this movie was so that he could say ****** in a context where black people would allow it, thus making whites look up to him for being cool with blacks.

i hate to break it to you but outside of this hip hop forum, the majority of whites dont give a sh*t about black culture. realistically in the past few years popular black culture has been mimicking white culture (skinny jeans, skateboarding, party drugs instead of just marijuana, sh*tty electronic music, and many more examples) so to act like black people are so hip and cool that most white people want to be like them or accepted by them is ridiculous.

ive always found it weird how black people feel that white people are racist, but also accuse whites of being envious or trying to steal their culture. it cant be both.
 5 years ago '06        #62
eastsyderyder 
space
space
$1,397 | Props total: 0 0

Last edited by eastsyderyder; 12-30-2012 at 01:02 AM..
 5 years ago '10        #63
stv18 22 heat pts22
space
space
$4,622 | Props total: 101 101
this review got old to me quick. he just starts rambling on. doubt he made a slave movie for the sole reason of just so he can say n*gga, that's literally the stupidest sh*t i've ever heard. let alone who goes to a movie after coming from a club.
 5 years ago '09        #64
Auron 2 heat pts
space
space
$663 | Props total: 3 3
 Cee4our said:
he grew up partaking in black culture, therefore he acts the way he does. the guy in the review essentially said quentin's main reason for making this movie was so that he could say ****** in a context where black people would allow it, thus making whites look up to him for being cool with blacks.

i hate to break it to you but outside of this hip hop forum, the majority of whites dont give a sh*t about black culture. realistically in the past few years popular black culture has been mimicking white culture (skinny jeans, skateboarding, party drugs instead of just marijuana, sh*tty electronic music, and many more examples) so to act like black people are so hip and cool that most white people want to be like them or accepted by them is ridiculous.

ive always found it weird how black people feel that white people are racist, but also accuse whites of being envious or trying to steal their culture. it cant be both.
The racist white frats that follow black athletes and listen to hip-hop music?
 5 years ago '04        #65
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
 Cee4our said:

Right, because all white people are exactly the same.

and because it's impossible to hate someone for their skin tone but still want something they possess

5 years ago '06        #66
LGK 35 heat pts35
space
space
$6,667 | Props total: 1226 1226
 STAY ASLEEP said:
Django unchained is not a black empowerment movie... its a human empowerment movie.
 5 years ago '05        #67
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
 Auron said:
The racist white frats that follow black athletes and listen to hip-hop music?
i know nothing about frats to be honest with you and had no idea there was an abundance of white frats being particularly racist but still having a proclivity for black entertainers. maybe you could educate me on that.

Matt504 said:
what exactly is "Black culture"?
in the context we've been talking about in this thread, it would be black pop culture. hip hop music, "black movies", sports, black trends in clothing and footwear, basically everything on this predominantly black forum.

psylence2k said:
Right, because all white people are exactly the same.

and because it's impossible to hate someone for their skin tone but still want something they possess

just the fact that u chose the word "possess" proves exactly wut i said. black people think they possess an inherent hipness. just because blacks perceive themselves that way, doesnt make it fact. of course there are whites who are racist, whites who participate in black culture, blacks who are racist, and blacks who participate in white culture. so how can someone make such blanket statements about how "white people" want to be "cool" with black people by saying ****** like the guy in the review did.

also, you dont really think that racist whites hate blacks because of their skin tone do u? they dont care wut tone your skin is, they hate your culture. i went to a school with a bunch of hicks and was called a ****** lover countless times. not because of my skin tone, but because of how i dressed, music i listened to, movies i liked, people i hung out with, etc... so to think that the same people that want to steal your culture are the same people who hate u seems counter intuitive to me.
 5 years ago '10        #68
cottonman5grand 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,107 | Props total: 61 61
My biggest thing is im tired of one or two black people trying to speak for ALL of us...STOP...we are individuals with different backgrounds and upbringings who appreciate different things. We all dont fall under the umbrella of being offended. It's a film for God sake. If a film doesn't evoke an emotional reaction from you, is it really any good?

With that being said, Tariq Rasheed made some interesting points, most of which I already knew being a MFA graduate, but nonetheless, I enjoyed Django for one simple reason.....I was tired of always having these slave movies, where African American's are submissive for the entire movie and usually at the end the white man decides whether to free them or not and they should be grateful.

I WANT to hear stories of slave revolts, I WANT to hear stories of slaves over taking plantations and k!lling the owners, I want to hear stories of slaves getting revenge on evil sadistic slave owners. These stories are never told much less even thought of. Did some plantations get overran, yes. You never hear about it though. To me i enjoyed Django because he was what every slave WANTED to be at that time. For black people, in the 1860s, advancement meant just not being a slave....and here we had this freed man who was riding around on horses in bright blue garments....in the south, at that time, it was UNHEARD of.

I appreciate Django for what it was....an independent story, not tied to any historical facts but, just one mans story in a time where usually in slave movies, the black protagonist is usually very submissive...i enjoyed it.

Question tho, was Inglorious Bastards exploitation of jews? You had a cartoon style independent story (with DRASTIC historical implications) that was basically about jewish bounty hunters collecting scalps of Nazi's...Change Nazi's to slave owners and jews to Django and its almost the same exact movie....
 5 years ago '04        #69
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Cee4our said:
i know nothing about frats to be honest with you and had no idea there was an abundance of white frats being particularly racist but still having a proclivity for black entertainers. maybe you could educate me on that.

in the context we've been talking about in this thread, it would be black pop culture. hip hop music, "black movies", sports, black trends in clothing and footwear, basically everything on this predominantly black forum.

just the fact that u chose the word "possess" proves exactly wut i said. black people think they possess an inherent hipness. just because blacks perceive themselves that way, doesnt make it fact. of course there are whites who are racist, whites who participate in black culture, blacks who are racist, and blacks who participate in white culture. so how can someone make such blanket statements about how "white people" want to be "cool" with black people by saying ****** like the guy in the review did.

also, you dont really think that racist whites hate blacks because of their skin tone do u? they dont care wut tone your skin is, they hate your culture. i went to a school with a bunch of hicks and was called a ****** lover countless times. not because of my skin tone, but because of how i dressed, music i listened to, movies i liked, people i hung out with, etc... so to think that the same people that want to steal your culture are the same people who hate u seems counter intuitive to me.
well first off, the guy in the review didn't say " white people want to be "cool " with black people by adopting their 'hipness' " he said something more along the lines of " certain white people do something to relate to black people in order to get pass to use the n-word so they can go back and show off their pass to their white friends for cool points all while still maintaining their 'whiteness' "

it's two different things

second, everything that pertains to human behavior, racial or not is gonna be a generalization because no matter what type of characteristic you attribute to a certain group, there's ALWAYS an outlier or exception. Everyone needs to understand that and register that as common sense first. Those type of statements only become "blanket statements" when the listener is actually literally interpreting the generalization to mean " every single person that belongs to that group" or if the person stating the generalization is actually stupid enough to believe that every single and last person in a certain group acts exactly that way, which I truly feel well above 90% of people dont rationalize characteristics in that way.

When you say something like " guys love pus*y ", it's a generalization , and everyone knows it but they accept it , no one trips, even though they know technically it's not true of all men because homos3xuals exist, but common sense lets you know what the person who said that means and you a.ssume they have enough common sense to know themselves that it's a generalization.

third, it does boil down to the skin tone, anything a.ssociated with that racial characteristic (skin tone) through culture ( music, dress, activities, etc) is hated because it is so closely a.ssociated with that skin tone and reminds the racist or bigot of that actual race because they've a.ssociated that cultural aspect to be inherent with that race.

If rap music was started and dominated by country white folk, racists wouldn't hate it. If baggy clothes or sagging was started by country white folk racists wouldn't hate it. It has nothing to do innately with the culture, it's the race it's a.ssociated with. So yes it boils down to skin tone (race). If it had shyt to do with culture, then black people could a.ssimilate to "white" culture and be accepted by racists, we all know that's not the case.

and lastly, racists can hate a race, and like something about their culture and want to steal it. Why do you think there's alot of white people out there that dont listen to any black rapper but listen to Eminem ?? or alot of white people that didn't really care for Rnb until Justin Timberlake started doing it ?? or how they loved Rock N Roll music once Elvis blew it up ?? Or how they would never want a black person in their home for dinner but they love watching them play for their favorite ball team ?? or how certain slave masters hated black people but still had a fetish and lust for black women ??

Last edited by psylence2k; 12-30-2012 at 11:49 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #70
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 HeruDat said:
you realize there is a large difference between a black director writing and directing a movie about a BLACK EXPERIENCE, and a white director/writer speaking about a BLACK EXPERIENCE.

thats what yall fail to realize, you think these white voices with black faces are authentic but there is a real difference. its why blacks are largely marginalized and boxed into typical roles because white writers and directors really cant know what its like to be black, nor will they ever.

peace.
Obviously, no one can write and direct a movie about American slavery from experience, regardless of skin color. I don't think anyone has any sort of moral ownership of slavery fiction simply by being descended from those who were enslaved.

Last edited by HHS; 12-30-2012 at 11:54 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #71
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
 psylence2k said:
well first off, the guy in the review didn't say " white people want to be "cool " with black people by adopting their 'hipness' " he said something more along the lines of " certain white people do something to relate to black people in order to get pass to use the n-word so they can go back and show off their pass to their white friends for cool points all while still maintaining their 'whiteness' "

it's two different things

second, everything that pertains to human behavior, racial or not is gonna be a generalization because no matter what type of characteristic you attribute to a certain group, there's ALWAYS an outlier or exception. Everyone needs to understand that and register that as common sense first. Those type of statements only become "blanket statements" when the listener is actually literally interpreting the generalization to mean " every single person that belongs to that group" or if the person stating the generalization is actually stupid enough to believe that every single and last person in a certain group acts exactly that way, which I truly feel well above 90% of people dont rationalize characteristics in that way.

When you say something like " guys love pus*y ", it's a generalization , and everyone knows it but they accept it , no one trips, even though they know technically it's not true of all men because homos3xuals exist, but common sense lets you know what the person who said that means and you a.ssume they have enough common sense to know themselves that it's a generalization.

third, it does boil down to the skin tone, anything a.ssociated with that racial characteristic (skin tone) through culture ( music, dress, activities, etc) is hated because it is so closely a.ssociated with that skin tone and reminds the racist or bigot of that actual race because they've a.ssociated that cultural aspect to be inherent with that race.

If rap music was started and dominated by country white folk, racists wouldn't hate it. If baggy clothes or sagging was started by country white folk racists wouldn't hate it. It has nothing to do innately with the culture, it's the race it's a.ssociated with. So yes it boils down to skin tone (race). If it had shyt to do with culture, then black people could a.ssimilate to "white" culture and be accepted by racists, we all know that's not the case.

and lastly, racists can hate a race, and like something about their culture and want to steal it. Why do you think there's alot of white people out there that dont listen to any black rapper but listen to Eminem ?? or alot of white people that didn't really care for Rnb until Justin Timberlake started doing it ?? or how they loved Rock N Roll music once Elvis blew it up ?? Or how they would never want a black person in their home for dinner but they love watching them play for their favorite ball team ?? or how certain slave masters hated black people but still had a fetish and lust for black women ??
"being able to say ****** and get away with it, to get a pass. is the ultimate form of hipness among whites"

i think u really nailed it when u talked about generalizations though. to be honest i do feel like sometimes i look at people who may be exhibiting racist behavior and i label them as stupid instead of racist. racism is stupid but i just dont attribute racism to them as much as i probably should some times. obviously u dont have to be racist to like eminem and not other rappers. id say that an overwhelming majority of people who hate black people do not listen to eminem. i think people do things like that more due to it being more relatable to them. same way that generally speaking blacks dont care about golf other than tiger woods.

i genuinely dont relate to people because of my race or theirs. its hard for me to understand sometimes that theres so many people out there whos primary criteria for relating to some one or some thing is their race. i cant imagine liking something because whites like it, or disliking some thing because blacks like it. if i see that behavior i generally label it as just being stupid instead of racist and thats probably wrong in a lot of cases.
 5 years ago '04        #72
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
 Cee4our said:
"being able to say ****** and get away with it, to get a pass. is the ultimate form of hipness among whites"

i think u really nailed it when u talked about generalizations though. to be honest i do feel like sometimes i look at people who may be exhibiting racist behavior and i label them as stupid instead of racist. racism is stupid but i just dont attribute racism to them as much as i probably should some times. obviously u dont have to be racist to like eminem and not other rappers. id say that an overwhelming majority of people who hate black people do not listen to eminem. i think people do things like that more due to it being more relatable to them. same way that generally speaking blacks dont care about golf other than tiger woods.

i genuinely dont relate to people because of my race or theirs. its hard for me to understand sometimes that theres so many people out there whos primary criteria for relating to some one or some thing is their race. i cant imagine liking something because whites like it, or disliking some thing because blacks like it. if i see that behavior i generally label it as just being stupid instead of racist and thats probably wrong in a lot of cases.

well I guess either way , racism = stupidity so it's kinda the same

but yeah , you gotta understand there's still ALOT of racism alive today, I remember in one of my college classes where the majority of class was white and the teacher would ask " so how many of you think that racism no longer exists ?? " and 90% of the white kids would raise their hands.

I also witnessed alot of situations where, like you said , certain white people didn't really like blacks but loved their culture.

for instance I remember frat houses and sorority houses that didn't want blacks in them. They would throw parties and hire black chefs to cook and play hip hop music. So you would have "black" food and "black" music but no black guests. People in there listening to Soulja Boy, doing the superman, having a ball but they didn't want no negros in there.

I remember some of my hispanic friends who were invited to a white frat party by one of the members, they were just chilling standing around drinking but their presence made the other white guests uncomfortable so they were asked to leave, all while Reggaeton music was playing.

So yeah , can you understand now how certain people can dislike a race but still want to sample their culture ??

Last edited by psylence2k; 12-31-2012 at 07:22 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #73
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
 psylence2k said:

but yeah , you gotta understand there's still ALOT of racism alive today, I remember in one of my college classes where the majority of class was white and the teacher would ask " so how many of you think that racism no longer exists ?? " and 90% of the white kids would raise their hands.

I also witnessed alot of situations where, like you said , certain white people didn't really like blacks but loved their culture.

for instance I remember frat houses and sorority houses that didn't want blacks in them. They would throw parties and hire black chefs to cook and play hip hop music. So you would have "black" food and "black" music but no black guests. People in their listening to Soulja Boy, doing the superman, having a ball but they didn't want no negros in there.

I remember some of my hispanic friends who were invited to a white frat party by one of the members, they were just chilling standing around drinking but their presence made the other white guests uncomfortable so they were asked to leave, all while Reggaeton music was playing.

So yeah , can you understand now how certain people can dislike a race but still want to sample their culture ??
see your story right there is the kinda sh*t i cant escape. if you listen to soulja boy i label you as stupid above anything else, be it racist or the friendliest person in the world lmao

i guess i kind of give racists a pass cuz my thought process is like "clearly theyre stupid...of course theyre gonna think like that"
 5 years ago '06        #74
vinceisallin 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,842 | Props total: 1755 1755
Lol everyones MADD!!!

Seen it last night, and it was worth it. Great storyline, great actIng, and great music.

Anyone who can't deal with it can eat a d!ck and not watch it
 5 years ago '12        #75
dman 4901 38 heat pts38 OP
space
space
$6,080 | Props total: 5606 5606
 5 years ago '09        #76
Auron 2 heat pts
space
space
$663 | Props total: 3 3
 psylence2k said:

for instance I remember frat houses and sorority houses that didn't want blacks in them. They would throw parties and hire black chefs to cook and play hip hop music. So you would have "black" food and "black" music but no black guests. People in their listening to Soulja Boy, doing the superman, having a ball but they didn't want no negros in there.

Bingo That Gucci song 'Wasted' was HUGE with them frat boys who hated black people. I remember when Cam Newton was playing down here in Bama, almost all the racist Auburn redneck fans across the state were on his d!ck HARD.

Last edited by Auron; 12-30-2012 at 07:09 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #77
raw51188 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,606 | Props total: 1 1
this guy is over analyzing this movie to the point where he is missing the point.

I started out agreeing with what he was saying, but hes doing too much of that "let me take a moment out and speak to the black folks and break it down" sh*t.
fu*k all that noise. I hate when black people do that sh*t. Really upsetting when they try to speak for everyone, like we need a vocal leader. GTFOH.

Stop looking at everything through a racial lens. You can analyze the racial issues of this movie without looking at it from a black/white point of view, or whatever your race may be. This dude sounds extremely paranoid about whites and their view of black people. As if its all white people, and his opinions of QT are literally made up. He has very little basis for any of his comments. Not to mention, his analysis is really one sided to suit the argument he wanted to present. Why did he choose to relate QT with Leo's character? If anything, I was relating Django's character and QT. But I guess that was too much of a stretch for this dude because they aren't the same race. QT can only have commonalities with the white characters of the film.

This is honestly a worthwhile post for discussion reasons, but this dude reviewing the movie is really off base.

Last edited by raw51188; 12-31-2012 at 05:19 AM..
 5 years ago '12        #78
dman 4901 38 heat pts38 OP
space
space
$6,080 | Props total: 5606 5606
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
75 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
39 comments
19 hours ago