django unchained:a interesting review

most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
35 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #41
Dollaz 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,811 | Props total: 122 122
 dloc757 said:
where can I find Hidden Colors 2 though

Part 1 was epic so i had to finally officially buy it along with part 2 last week.

i felt like i owed him since i got part 1 for free when it first came out..

If you got the money to buy it, support that movie and that brotha fam, I heard theer going to work on a part 3 as well ..
 5 years ago '06        #42
Badnewz100 
space
space
$4,614 | Props total: 3699 3699
Great review! Dude definitely touched on some thoughts I had while watching the movie, as well as some that I missed.
 5 years ago '07        #43
michelleski495 
space
space
$3,034 | Props total: 1146 1146
He made some good points..but this guy was over-the-top reaching for the most part.
 5 years ago '05        #44
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,824 | Props total: 57 57
 Got Cheeve? said:
When he mentioned the "inside" info on how white people want to seem cool to other white people by being able to say the n-word in front of black people or to say, "oh, I'm cool with black people" being the ultimate coolness you can achieve to other white people is complete bullsh*t too How would he even know first off? He's not white. Just how a white person wouldn't know the inner workings of most black people's minds. But more than that, that's simply not the coolest thing you can achieve to other white people.
that part was particularly laughable to me too. i love how he thinks blacks have an inherent hipness that whites strive for. im a white guy whos participated in black culture pretty much my entire life. saying n*gga in front of black people has never been something ive strived for, nor have any of my white friends. honestly i do/have said n*gga in front of some of my black friends but mostly in the context of quoting a movie or song or something.
 5 years ago '06        #45
RAZAH CUTS 5844 heat pts5844
space
space
$54,098 | Props total: 18971 18971
This cat sees all the covert tricknology that they put in this film..
 5 years ago '05        #46
Cee4our 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,824 | Props total: 57 57
 dman 4901 said:
the link you gave me didnt work but i found a youtube link

im watching now

the south
the sad part is that this stuff still happens on a much larger scale today and no one seems to care. making the penalties stiffer for crimes more likely to be committed by the poor than the rich, the 3rd strike law, and privatized prisons are effectively the same thing as the peonage discussed in that documentary.
 5 years ago '07        #47
michelleski495 
space
space
$3,034 | Props total: 1146 1146
 RAZAH CUTS said:
This cat sees all the covert tricknology that they put in this film..
Just cause he sounds smart or at least tries to doesn't mean he is
 5 years ago '08        #48
Soda Pop 7 heat pts
space
space
$10,034 | Props total: 5113 5113
I mean Im tired of talking about this subject in this light. It was a great movie and this guy does have a lot of great and correct points. I think in a whole different way he is speaking to the greatness of QTs writing ability because he did do everything he said and more. Tarantino is a dope writer if he chooses to use that ability for a negative purpose thats on him.
 5 years ago '07        #49
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,847 | Props total: 4832 4832
 Cee4our said:
that part was particularly laughable to me too. i love how he thinks blacks have an inherent hipness that whites strive for. im a white guy whos participated in black culture pretty much my entire life. saying n*gga in front of black people has never been something ive strived for, nor have any of my white friends. honestly i do/have said n*gga in front of some of my black friends but mostly in the context of quoting a movie or song or something.
that shouldnt even really be debateable
 5 years ago '06        #50
eastsyderyder 
space
space
$1,397 | Props total: 0 0
as a white person living in one of the most multicultural countries in the world ( canada ) i would say that this was a good movie but there were many underlying racist aspects in this movie, most being very subtle that your average joe would not notice.

just because there are some famous black actors in this movie doesnt give it a pass for not being rascist.

i dont think any self respecting, race respecting actor would ever take on the role that samuel l jackson did. one could question if samuel L really is a hater of his own race for taking up that role. i think there is a very strong underlying message of white supremacy in this movie.

if you are one to look at it for face value then you will probably see nothing wrong with this.
if you are one to think deep and dive into the deep end of this movie and philosophize then you probably will see that this movie does degrade black people and further promotes white supremacy.
 5 years ago '12        #51
Southwick 
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 398 398
How can anybody say he's reaching? People just don't want to open their fu*king eyes.
 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM         #52
Sniggit 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 eastsyderyder said:
as a white person living in one of the most multicultural countries in the world ( canada ) i would say that this was a good movie but there were many underlying racist aspects in this movie, most being very subtle that your average joe would not notice.

just because there are some famous black actors in this movie doesnt give it a pass for not being rascist.

i dont think any self respecting, race respecting actor would ever take on the role that samuel l jackson did. one could question if samuel L really is a hater of his own race for taking up that role. i think there is a very strong underlying message of white supremacy in this movie.

if you are one to look at it for face value then you will probably see nothing wrong with this.
if you are one to think deep and dive into the deep end of this movie and philosophize then you probably will see that this movie does degrade black people and further promotes white supremacy.
come on dude, its a slavery movie. What do you expect from a slavery movie?? Its bringing facts to the screen. It aint a movie where slavery has never happened so a director/script writer tries to make the modern day dude try to picture what things could of been like.

i aint knockin you but

5 years ago '12        #53
Southwick 
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 398 398
 eastsyderyder said:

I felt to same way about T-dog in the walking dead. Everybody liked him. I hated his character. I mean there are some roles you just don't take, regardless of the money. You're a man first and self respect should be more important. Guess I'm just a sensitive ******...
 5 years ago '04        #54
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
I'm glad Tarantino just doesn't give a fu*k about controversies like this, because we'd have missed out on some great movies if he approached them with any kind of politically correct mind-frame. This is what he does, he takes on the taboo, he pays homage to the old movies he loves, and Django Unchained is taken from old Westerns and Blaxploitation movies like Mandingo and Boss ******. Tarantino throws in some ultra-violence and pumps up the self-aware humor, but he's not really touching new ground.

Obviously, there are some huge sensitivities about race, so I can see how it might be interpreted as racist. When he's dealing with slavery as a subject and paying homage to Blaxploitation movies, obviously there are gonna be some big themes that aren't easily digestible. The N-Word alone is enough to ensure that.

Do I think there are any racist intentions, or that it's some sort of white supremacist message. Absolutely not. He's also not making a black power movie that is racist against white people, which is something other people are saying. It's a Western, the vengeance and justice is personal for Django. Slavery is a narrative frame more than anything. It's not really a statement about race, one way or the other.

And yes, I noticed the whole white savior bit potentially being problematic, but then
[spoiler - click to view]

Last edited by HHS; 12-29-2012 at 08:33 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #55
eastsyderyder 
space
space
$1,397 | Props total: 0 0
i also just wanted to point out something here. in the press conference about this movie samuel is speaking about taking his role in this movie. he begins to speak about what the conversation between him and quentin went like when he was asked to play the part. samuel says something along the lines of "so you are asking me to play the most hated character in cinematic history" then he goes on to say, they both "laughed about it" is this really that funny? i don't think its funny and im white. let alone what would your average black person think if he heard that samuel l jackson laughed about the role and then took it?
 5 years ago '04        #56
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 eastsyderyder said:
i also just wanted to point out something here. in the press conference about this movie samuel is speaking about taking his role in this movie. he begins to speak about what the conversation between him and quentin went like when he was asked to play the part. samuel says something along the lines of "so you are asking me to play the most hated character in cinematic history" then he goes on to say, they both "laughed about it" is this really that funny? i don't think its funny and im white. let alone what would your average black person think if he heard that samuel l jackson laughed about the role and then took it?
He's playing a villain in the movie. He knew that. You act like he's supposed to identify with the character, or that it's being held up as a positive character. It's supposed to be a hateful character. It's just a movie, he's playing a role.
 5 years ago '09        #57
Teddy Loc 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,062 | Props total: 164 164
The video is crucial and props to Tariq on it! He went in in very deep details of the slickness of the movie. I went to see the movie first before I watched the video! The movie is crucial and very good in my opinion! I enjoyed the movie! Real Business!
 5 years ago '08        #58
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,113 | Props total: 23357 23357
 eastsyderyder said:

sounds like Samuel L played the hell out of his part since it made you believe he actually hates being black.

Get familiar with Sam

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #59
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,815 | Props total: 1849 1849
 Got Cheeve? said:

When he mentioned the "inside" info on how white people want to seem cool to other white people by being able to say the n-word in front of black people or to say, "oh, I'm cool with black people" being the ultimate coolness you can achieve to other white people is complete bullsh*t too How would he even know first off? He's not white. Just how a white person wouldn't know the inner workings of most black people's minds. But more than that, that's simply not the coolest thing you can achieve to other white people. That's popular amongst certain sub groups of white people, but he's completely generalizing white people with that theory.
 Cee4our said:

Alot of what he said could be seen as reaching or not, but nobody knows because no one knows really what was going through Tarantino's head when he made this film and what his intentions were and if those intentions conscious or subconscious. I kinda lean more toward No, that he didn't make this as a covertly racist movie, I could be wrong but I think even if it was , it was done more on a subconscious level. So I think that even though the points he made do have possibility of being true, from where I'm standing it's more not likely even though each point he made could be valid due to similar methods and approaches that have been used historically.

As far as the white people wanting to say "n*gga" thing, I know both of you disagree but there are white people that for some reason really want to say "n*gga" and not even to feel tight with black people but I believe to truly impress their white friends. I'm not saying this applies to all or even the majority of white people but I have came across quite a few white guys who display this behavior.

The funny thing is it's mostly the conservative republican type who dont even really have any black friends. Those are the ones that I have found have the " Well if black people call each other it, why can't I say it ?? " mentality. I've seen quite a handful of them meet black people through a third party or some social gathering and once they meet that "friendly" black guy and feel like they've gotten comfortable with him, they start asking him if they can call him "n*gga". The black guy says No and then they get upset and go into the " Well, why not ?? you call each other it, I'm not racist, I'm not gonna say it in a racist way " then they start with the fabrications like " I have other black friends that let me say it to them ", and I've seen this on multiple occasions with different white guys, so not saying ALL white people are like this but there are alot of them out there that for some reason want to feel entitled to being able to use the word , gain some type of sense of empowerment or "cool" for being able to get away with saying that word to a black male with no repercussions.

eastsyderyder said:
I think he said something more along the lines of " you want me to be the most despicable NEGRO in cinematic history" basically saying "you want me to be the epitome of an uncle tom". I can kinda see how Sam saw the humor in that, you gotta understand that different people have a different sense of humor, not everyone laughs at the same thing, and that doesn't necessarily mean there's some type of underlying alternative meaning or notion to it.

but as far as the movie goes, I think there's a likely possibility that Tarantino added things like a white co-protagonist as well as maybe some of the exact subconscious aspects and underlying tones mentioned in the Tariq Rasheed's review into the movie to alleviate some of the extreme discomfort that would've came over white audiences. Now this could've been a sentiment that came over him consciously or subconsciously while he wrote it.

The point is that he knew there are alot of non-racist white people out there that wanted to see and enjoy this movie but it would be hard for them to do so if it felt like a 2 and a half hour guilt trip. So alot of the things Tariq mentioned in his review whether purposely done or not, actually helps alleviate some of the extreme and guilty discomfort that could've possibly been experienced by white people who actually really wanted to enjoy this movie while at the same time making it not come off as blatantly sugar coated and pus*y footed. It's hard to see him as a racist and he even said during a press conference that he expressed discomfort to Sidney Portier over lunch with actually shooting scenes with dozens of black actors shackled up as slaves walking through mud and Sidney told him to man up and not sugar coat it.

IMO he found the perfect balance and walked a very narrow line of being able to make this movie enjoyable to both black folks and non-racist white folk. When you realize this carefully executed cinematic balancing act then you realize another aspect of his masterful film genius. At the end of the day that is the main goal in the movie industry. To make something with as much mass appeal as possible so it can turn a profit, and I strongly believe Tarantino had good intentions. Now did he have some habitually racial slurs in his own mind that found it's way into the writing subconsciously ?? I think it's very likely but I dont think he's a racist. Like people have mentioned above he loves to phuck with the taboo and exploit them in order to "shock" people regardless of race, gender, religion, background, etc. I think the film strikes the perfect balance of art , historical accuracy, and mass appeal. The only people mostly complaining about it are the racist white folk and old fashioned staunchly ethno-centric black folk. Everyone else that doesn't seem to take things too seriously seemed to enjoy it.
 5 years ago '09        #60
YoungR 2 heat pts
space
space
$93 | Props total: 0 0
great listen
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
109 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
187 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
97 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
64 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy