Sarah Silverman Defends Quentin Tarantino’s Use Of The N-Word: “You Can’t Tell Art What To Do” Read

most viewed right now
 65
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
23 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 43
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 38
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 34
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #161
The S-Word 
space
avatar space
space
$3,677 | Props total: 1296 1296
To put it simply, fu*k the movie at this point--Tarantino knew that the minute he got a bunch of Uncle Tom black actors to co-sign him saying 'N!gger' like there's no tomorrow, he wouldn't have to worry about anything from blacks or whites, as his position in Hollywood ensured that his white colleagues & fellow entertainers would find every justification on Earth for him to use 'N!gger' in his works, something whites have always did in racial matters (Large numbers of them sticking together/having each others' backs). Spike's main issue with the film seems to be that a white director who delights in using 'N!gger' any and everywhere he can is the last person who should be directing a movie about slavery, especially when black directors would have a much harder time trying to do the same (And we won't even mention what would happen if a black director would want to make a movie about any 'white' atrocity throughout history--No, we won't even go there).

But anyway, my biggest problem with the issue as a whole is that it's little more than another example of: 1) People (Mainly whites) thinking that because a mixed, light-skinned man is in office that America (And, by extension, Western society) magically became some kind of 'racial utopia' overnight (Hence Obama's a.ssertion(s) that 'We're living in a post-racial society--' Yeah, keep telling yourself that while reading all the racist Twitter & other Internet comments about you and while non-black racists depict you as everything from a Monkey to a Witch Doctor and no one has a problem with it, but I digress), and 2) The aforementioned fantasy of Western society being a 'racial utopia' therefore making many whites in entertainment (i.e. the guys behind South Park, Family Guy & The Cleveland Show, Robot Chicken, and even The Simpsons, which usually shies away from racial issues, among other shows) think they can not only speak on anti-black racism (A system that was created to and still benefit(s) whites and whites only), but joke about it and, as Scouser said, tell blacks how they should feel about racism, something they (whites) will never have to go through. Yes, 'art is art (I, as an artist, know this better than most),' but sometimes the issue isn't so much with the art, but with the artist. So all you super-defensive whites in this thread need to 'Get Over' that. As a matter of fact, unless what's being said in this thread applies to you (Translation: You're racist against blacks), why are you getting so mad and defensive in the first place?
 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM         #162
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Matt504 said:
I'm perfectly willing to take back everything I said if you can provide evidence that refutes it.
where is your proof that the only avenue for black rappers is to make explicit rap degrading their own culture? cause there's a sh*t ton of other black artists that DON'T do that and have become popular and have large fanbases as well. it was a blanket claim that was incorrect,

and did you really try to imply companies are the reason people value shoes so much? regardless of how much they cost? so they're so brainwashed they can't control themselves from buying a pair of overpriced shoes? because society forces them to value a shoe?

EDIT


 Matt504 said:
I'm perfectly willing to take back everything I said if you can provide evidence that refutes it.
 GodsFavorite said:
Because you are providing examples of a market that black people are responsible for maintaining. Don't buy the products and they won't make them
^^^but society makes them value them so much....so they MUST buy them.....
 5 years ago '06        #163
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$13,455 | Props total: 2648 2648
 GodsFavorite said:
Because you are providing examples of a market that black people are responsible for maintaining. Don't buy the products and they won't make them
White people but majority of the albums... we bootleg it


only albums i have bought were Nas, KRIT, and a missy album
 5 years ago '05        #164
halfadash 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
$1,863 | Props total: 656 656
 The S-Word said:
To put it simply, fu*k the movie at this point--Tarantino knew that the minute he got a bunch of Uncle Tom black actors to co-sign him saying 'N!gger' like there's no tomorrow, he wouldn't have to worry about anything from blacks or whites, as his position in Hollywood ensured that his white colleagues & fellow entertainers would find every justification on Earth for him to use 'N!gger' in his works, something whites have always did in racial matters (Large numbers of them sticking together/having each others' backs). Spike's main issue with the film seems to be that a white director who delights in using 'N!gger' any and everywhere he can is the last person who should be directing a movie about slavery, especially when black directors would have a much harder time trying to do the same (And we won't even mention what would happen if a black director would want to make a movie about any 'white' atrocity throughout history--No, we won't even go there).

But anyway, my biggest problem with the issue as a whole is that it's little more than another example of: 1) People (Mainly whites) thinking that because a mixed, light-skinned man is in office that America (And, by extension, Western society) magically became some kind of 'racial utopia' overnight (Hence Obama's a.ssertion(s) that 'We're living in a post-racial society--' Yeah, keep telling yourself that while reading all the racist Twitter & other Internet comments about you and while non-black racists depict you as everything from a Monkey to a Witch Doctor and no one has a problem with it, but I digress), and 2) The aforementioned fantasy of Western society being a 'racial utopia' therefore making many whites in entertainment (i.e. the guys behind South Park, Family Guy & The Cleveland Show, Robot Chicken, and even The Simpsons, which usually shies away from racial issues, among other shows) think they can not only speak on anti-black racism (A system that was created to and still benefit(s) whites and whites only), but joke about it and, as Scouser said, tell blacks how they should feel about racism, something they (whites) will never have to go through. Yes, 'art is art (I, as an artist, know this better than most),' but sometimes the issue isn't so much with the art, but with the artist. So all you super-defensive whites in this thread need to 'Get Over' that. As a matter of fact, unless what's being said in this thread applies to you (Translation: You're racist against blacks), why are you getting so mad and defensive in the first place?
 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM         #165
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Peterparker said:
Oh I'm a.ssuming South Texas so you must be a taco eater...yeah some of yall mothafu*kas always tryna slide yall wet a.sses in a race convo concerning black and white relations. And for some reason find ya a.sses taking up for the whites who really don't want anything to do w/ yall but for you all to keep up w/ the lawn w/ a smile

And I find it funny most non-blacks agree w/ each other yet most blacks in here agree w/ each other

See race relations will never get better on this planet. Cuz majority of you white folks don't even try to understand black ppl. You just take on the same ignorance of our culture as your ancestors did. Just because you listen to rap and laugh at a black comic I know you think you're not racist. But it's obvious you have a superiority complex when compared to other ppl of color. It's the Amerikkkan way baby. That way of thinking consumes you. It consumes us as black ppl.

The same relations that went on during the times of slavery still exist to this day. This thread is living proof of that.
we all love tacos though don't you?
 5 years ago '04        #166
JayHovMan 8 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$2,990 | Props total: 8 8
my problem is that all his movies have a scene where somebody is usin the word ****** repeatedly to the point where it just feels excessive and unnatural and unnecessary ... It's like he loves to hear that word or somethin like its an obsession... I never really liked that sh*t
 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM         #167
WMYakballzWM 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if i was black and someone called me a n*gga every sentence if drop kick him in the face.. how do black people care soo much about a single word, yet they call each other it every chance they get.... am i wrong to say that the n word was given to black people by slave owners? so why is it accepted to but an a at the end of it and justify using it while talking to your friends... thats why i have no sympathy for this word or the people who get offended... BLACK PEOPLE CALL EACH OTHER THE N WORD ALL THE TIME I HEAR IT 500 TIMES A DAY WHERE I LIVE AND I JUST SHAKE MY HEAD BECAUSE OF ALL THE IGNORANCE.. when will people smarten up and put taht word to rest.
 5 years ago '07        #168
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
avatar space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4814 4814
 Cheeze said:
where is your proof that the only avenue for black rappers is to make explicit rap degrading their own culture? cause there's a sh*t ton of other black artists that DON'T do that and have become popular and have large fanbases as well. it was a blanket claim that was incorrect,

and did you really try to imply companies are the reason people value shoes so much? regardless of how much they cost? so they're so brainwashed they can't control themselves from buying a pair of overpriced shoes? because society forces them to value a shoe?

EDIT






^^^but society makes them value them so much....so they MUST buy them.....
if u really have to ask tha question then its clear u know nothin of these industries.steven spielberg had to finance red tails himself because hollywood wouldnt fund a big budget black action movie.so if spielberg had this issue,i hope that,that example can provide a bit of scope witout havin to go into extreme detail
 5 years ago '11        #169
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
avatar space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 6 6
God, I love BX.
 5 years ago '04        #170
PimPtasicPat 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$531 | Props total: 14 14
 Scouser said:
No, dont back peddle now...

You Implied that Samuel Jackson may have possibly told QT to use the word N*****

Now why would you think that?
Is it because Tarantino is really good friends with a super cool black dude?
So Cool, that he would be like - Its OK, Q, go ahead and say the N word more, Beat Black People in the head with that word. They wont Care when they see that me and You are Good Buddies.

Ridiculous ^^^ right?
Yet, What do you think your thinking reflects when you say something like that?
Its almost like You want to Justify Tarantino's Racism throughout the movie

lol you're trying to make a point on the justification of racism on a movie that is based off of one mans take on slavery. I simply read an article that said Samuel told him to talk like a black person (not use the n word) on that BET interview. I even posted an article from the past that shows he doesn't talk like that. So my opinion after reading that article and watching that interview was, I wouldn't be surprised if Samuel L told him to incorporate the n word more in the movie. These are actors. Controversy brings an audience. Audience brings money. The big picture here isn't about my thought process. You say "Tarantinos racism" like he is racist. Have you even seen the movie?
 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM         #171
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 r.burgundy said:
if u really have to ask tha question then its clear u know nothin of these industries.steven spielberg had to finance red tails himself because hollywood wouldnt fund a big budget black action movie.so if spielberg had this issue,i hope that,that example can provide a bit of scope witout havin to go into extreme detail
I'm talking about artists as in rappers/musicians because that's the example the other guy used

that's where money is being spent, there's plenty of funding available if you want to rap about SHOOTING a n*gga, and the different ways to shoot a n*gga, and how to treat Black women like dogs, and how to "fu*k another n*ggas bi*ch" or "take a n*gga bi*ch", or "sell a brick" or "lose 77 bricks" or "pop a Molly" or "fu*k a stripper" or "swear I like to fu*k I got a fu*king habit"

our so called fu*king "culture" is nothing more than what a handful of corporations decide it will be at any given time.


if you really have to interject and then reply using something that wasn't discussed then it's clear you don't know how to comprehend what was being brought up.


Last edited by Cheeze; 12-27-2012 at 12:16 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #172
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$13,455 | Props total: 2648 2648
 JayHovMan said:
my problem is that all his movies have a scene where somebody is usin the word ****** repeatedly to the point where it just feels excessive and unnatural and unnecessary ... It's like he loves to hear that word or somethin like its an obsession... I never really liked that sh*t
k!ll bill 1 & 2...
Resviour (sp?) Doggs
dusk til dawn...

Dont think any of those movies utter the word n*gga in it...
 5 years ago '05        #173
halfadash 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
$1,863 | Props total: 656 656
11 pages......God help us all if DiCaprio wins an Oscar...I can only imagine the discussion for someone winning for playing a "plantation owner"

 datVAkid said:
Kill bill 1 & 2...
Resviour (sp?) Doggs
dusk til dawn...

Dont think any of those movies utter the word n*gga in it...
i think Mr. Pink says something like "your all acting like a bunch of nigge*s"....when a whole bunch of them are arguing in the safehouse.


Last edited by halfadash; 12-27-2012 at 12:27 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #174
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
avatar space
space
$13,455 | Props total: 2648 2648
 WMYakballzWM said:
if i was black and someone called me a n*gga every sentence if drop kick him in the face.. how do black people care soo much about a single word, yet they call each other it every chance they get.... am i wrong to say that the n word was given to black people by slave owners? so why is it accepted to but an a at the end of it and justify using it while talking to your friends... thats why i have no sympathy for this word or the people who get offended... BLACK PEOPLE CALL EACH OTHER THE N WORD ALL THE TIME I HEAR IT 500 TIMES A DAY WHERE I LIVE AND I JUST SHAKE MY HEAD BECAUSE OF ALL THE IGNORANCE.. when will people smarten up and put taht word to rest.
no you wouldnt

and you just dont understand and white people cant understand not understanding something

also there is a difference between to, too, two... same sound but one letter changes the whole meaning

They, their, there... same thing

a letter can mean alot... just like how hi and his are two different words with two different meaning one letter difference...


Last edited by datVAkid; 12-27-2012 at 12:24 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #175
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
avatar space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4814 4814
 Cheeze said:
I'm talking about artists as in rappers/musicians because that's the example the other guy used



its all tha same money that funds these projects.i mean if u follow rap,his statement shouldnt even need clarification.but for u,im sure they will


Peace to all,

With all do respect to you all, Nas is NOBODY’s slave. This is not the 1800′s, respect me and I will respect you.
I won’t even tap dance around in an email, I will get right into it. People connect to the Artist @ the end of the day, they don’t connect with the executives. Honestly, nobody even cares what label puts out a great record, they care about who recorded it. Yet time and time again its the executives who always stand in the way of a creative artist’s dream and aspirations. You don’t help draw the truth from my deepest and most inner soul, you don’t even do a great job @ selling it. The #1 problem with DEF JAM is pretty simple and obvious, the executives think they are the stars. You aren’t…. not even close.



[video - click to view]


[video - click to view]


Lupe on “The Show Goes On”:

“I was specifically told” — Fiasco chuckled — “‘Don’t rap too deep on this record.’” He laughed some more. “That was a specific order from the top.


do u need more proof?
 5 years ago '05        #176
OG T Gutta N|M 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,739 | Props total: 1823 1823
ya'll ignorant n*ggas is fu*kin sh*t up for the good black ppl , we move further , u stupid n*ggas keep bring up old sh*t , n*ggas wanna cry over a fu*kin word, our ancestors would think ya'll n*ggas straight pus*y , go f!ght for better education stupid muthafu*kas
 5 years ago '07        #177
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
avatar space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4814 4814
 datVAkid said:
Kill bill 1 & 2...
Resviour (sp?) Doggs
dusk til dawn...

Dont think any of those movies utter the word n*gga in it...
im guessin u didnt see res dogs lol

dusk till dawn is a horror flick lol
 5 years ago '06        #178
vinceisallin 11 heat pts11
space
avatar space
space
$6,842 | Props total: 1755 1755
Tin foil hat whiners are in full affect in this thread
 5 years ago '05        #179
OG T Gutta N|M 9 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$6,739 | Props total: 1823 1823
 Matt504 said:
"stop talkin bad about massa before we gets beat"

[pic - click to view]

most all black ppl in the NO on welfare , i'd be mad at white ppl if i lived liked that , tough break n*gga sell dope
 5 years ago '10        #180
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
avatar space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
 Cantankerous said:
ya'll ignorant n*ggas is fu*kin sh*t up for the good black ppl , we move further , u stupid n*ggas keep bring up old sh*t , n*ggas wanna cry over a fu*kin word, our ancestors would think ya'll n*ggas straight pus*y , go f!ght for better education stupid muthafu*kas


n*ggas always wanna f!ght over this dumb sh*t (who can say "n*gga" and who can't)

But when it comes time to f!ght for some sh*t that really matter, suddenly everybody disappears. Or they waiting for somebody else to do it.

Most old black folks that I know, the n*ggas who actually been through some racial sh*t in this country, don't even use that word.

I saw an old black lady spazz on some young n*ggas in the gas station just last week over that sh*t.

--

But to get back on topic. Art is art and the truer to life it is (in some cases), the better.

So long as the word don't seem out of place, or forced, then there's no issue. Tarantino has a way of doing pulling it off realistically and tastefully in his films. The context is always right.

I don't get upset with him, the same way I'm not upset about the use of the word in "The Godfather" films

If you've ever met old Italian dudes, you know what they think of black people. So it wasn't out of place in those films and it worked.

The thought of Tarantino telling a slave story without the use of the word would be more absurd than anything to me.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 31
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 21
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
53 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 20
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 11
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
61 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 10
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
226 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 8
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
68 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 5
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
248 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 5
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
117 comments
2 days ago
@games
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy