Michael Vick on RGIII: His style originates from me

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick Yoga Instructor Is Very Flexible
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bow Wow Posts A Picture w/ The Caption "'Back In Ohio", Commenters Go ..
most viewed right now
Article inside How to retire a.s.a.p. and be a self-made wealthy person
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Well BX we did it. HOH has turned our little girl into a star :mjcry:

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 4 years ago '11        #81
ricengravy 2 heat pts
$4,773 | Props total: 689 689
and this reminds ppl how much of a failure Vick was

lazy as fu*k got by for far to long on raw ability
 4 years ago '12        #82
The Infamous1 13 heat pts13
$2,319 | Props total: 9 9
 StateProperty88 said:
everyone sh*tted on vick throwing the ball though...he took it personal, rg3 is light years better than vick in that aspect. they really arent the same player, rg3 is a better quarterback now that vick has ever been in his whole career
 4 years ago '07        #83
$923 | Props total: 21 21
RG3 is not just a better passer, he's a better QB. Vick is the excuse QB, because that's all people do for him. Make excuses. The QB position requires a smart player. RG3 is that. Vick, not so much. I gave Vick the benefit of a doubt since 2002, and he still cannot read a defense. Beside, Griffin does not wanna be like these scrubs. He rather be compared to Aaron Rodgers.
 4 years ago '07        #84
$923 | Props total: 21 21
n*ggas forget that vick had atl has the leading rushing team for years. and had numbers similar to rg3 and n*ggas act like Vick cant pass smh dude has one of the best arm in the league. They are very similar

but hey u kids keep listen to espn they only allow u to like one blk QB at a time. so they riding RG3 d!ck and hating on all the others but they are same just check the tape kids.
RG3 is better than Vick has ever been. It has nothing to do with coaching. Why would it be the coach's fault it Vick never listens anyway? Blame it on Peerless Price and Alge Crumpler. RG3 has a bunch of has been players. You keep saying kids. Negro please.
 4 years ago '04        #85
Cheeze 496 heat pts496
$31,686 | Props total: 9 9
 KingKobraAtlant said:
RG3 is better than Vick has ever been. It has nothing to do with coaching. Why would it be the coach's fault it Vick never listens anyway? Blame it on Peerless Price and Alge Crumpler. RG3 has a bunch of has been players. You keep saying kids. Negro please.
 4 years ago '12        #86
The Infamous1 13 heat pts13
$2,319 | Props total: 9 9
 StateProperty88 said:
really? similar numbers?

well let me ask the only adult in the room when did vick have an over 100 passer rating in atl?

when did vick have 20/5 touchdown to interception ratio? when did vick have only 5 picks in a season?

when did vick throw for 66 percent, when has he ever thrown for over 60?

i could keep going but you should be able to sink your teeth into this first, seeing as though their number are similar and all?
This. The revionist history of Michael Vicks career in this thread is hilarious.
 4 years ago '09        #87
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
$23,405 | Props total: 2906 2906
thats like randall cunningham saying vick style originated from him

it is what it is
 4 years ago '05        #88
Panopticon 32 heat pts32
$19,243 | Props total: 3580 3580
Well let's not be revisionist. Let's look through and see what was being said about Michael Vick, and we can think about how similar it is to how RGIII is hyped right now.

THE HEISMAN: Michael Vick lives up to the hype
AP Sports Writer
December 10, 1999
Associated Press Newswires

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Keith Short was in the dark like everyone else.

Oh, he had heard the hype about Michael Vick, the freshman phenom who was being redshirted. But as Virginia Tech's first-team center last season, Short was working with that unit while Vick played for the scout team against the defense.

Roommate John Engelberger, a starting defensive end, filled him in.

"Engelberger would come home every day and say, `Wow. That kid Vick's amazing. He's making all these throws and we can't stop him,"' Short said.

And defense, after all, had carried the Hokies in their rise through the rankings.

One year later, all has changed because of Vick, a left-hander with a powerful arm, breakaway speed and seasoned understanding of the game. He has turned Virginia Tech into a championship contender, and he just might be the most exciting player in college football.

And now, with "Hokiesmania" having gone national and Virginia Tech bound for the Sugar Bowl against Florida State, "Michaelmania" has taken on a life of its own amid the national awards and citations.

Big East offensive player of the year. First-team All-American by The Sporting News. And now, the first freshman finalist invited to the Heisman Trophy presentation, to be made Saturday at the Downtown Athletic Club in New York.

Vick has remained as reserved and soft-spoken off the field as he is dazzling on it. He greets the adulation with equal parts disbelief and reverence.

"I really can't believe this has happened," he said. "This whole season has been great, but I never thought this would happen. I'm very fortunate."

Vick said he thinks the Heisman Trophy should be for upperclassmen, but added that being a finalist "makes it that much more special for me."

Vick led the nation with a 180.4 quarterback rating, ahead of fellow Heisman invitees Joe Hamilton of Georgia Tech (175.0) and Chad Pennington of Marshall (171.4). He's the first freshman to lead Division I-A in passing efficiency.

Boston College coach Tom O'Brien said Vick is playing at a level Charlie Ward and Donovan McNabb didn't reach until their third or fourth years. West Virginia's Don Nehlen called him the best deep passer he's ever seen. Even Florida State's Bobby Bowden has coveted the 19-year-old he'll face on Jan. 4 in New Orleans.

Vick's teammates even more fully appreciate his importance to the Hokies.

Corey Moore set a Big East record with 17 sacks and has collected some impressive hardware himself recently: the Mike Fox-Bronko Nagurski Award as the nation's top defensive player, the Lombardi Award as the nation's top lineman.

But all season, Moore has insisted Vick is what makes the Hokies go.

"The guy is unbelievable," Moore said after Virginia Tech beat Boston College to complete its first perfect season in 81 years, with Vick throwing for three TDs. "He's our team MVP. He's the reason we're 11-0. He's our spark plug."

And it didn't take Vick long to establish that he was for real.

In the Hokies' season-opener against James Madison, Vick ran for three touchdowns, the last a spectacular 7-yard run that ended with him diving from the 3, flipping completely after being hit and landing on his feet in the end zone.

It also featured the first of many perfectly thrown deep balls, a 60-yarder that hit Ricky Hall in stride just out of the reach of a defender, and a 54-yard touchdown scramble, the first of five scoring runs of at least 46 yards.

Vick finished the year with 12 touchdown passes, four that went for at least 59 yards. He threw just five interceptions, three in his second start Sept. 23.

Most important, said Short, Vick never lost his cool, whether he was throwing those three interceptions in a close, nationally televised game against Clemson or facing 85 yards with no timeouts and 1:15 left against West Virginia.

"He gives our offensive line confidence because he's just such a confident player," the senior said. "I've never seen him get down or look nervous or anything. He keeps his head up and keeps us in the game at all times."

Against West Virginia, Vick made perhaps his most remarkable play while driving the Hokies 58 yards to set up Shayne Graham's season-saving field goal.

Flushed from the pocket from his own 38, Vick raced to the right sideline and appeared ready to step out of bounds and settle for a 10-yard gain. But when the Mountaineers apparently thought the same thing and didn't close in quickly, Vick burst forward again, hurdled a defender and turned it into a 26-yard gain.

Three plays later, Graham's kick gave the Hokies the 22-20 victory, capping a drive in which Vick completed three passes for 32 yards and ran the other 26.

Moore, who sprinted off the field so fans and teammates wouldn't see him crying, said he never doubted Vick would pull it out. Six games into the redshirt freshman's career, Moore was already sold on his teammate's magic.

"We put a lot on his shoulders, but he's done a great job of handling it," said Moore, whose last college game will be the Sugar Bowl. "People are going to want to come here to play with Michael Vick. Heck, I wish I had another year."
 4 years ago '05        #89
Panopticon 32 heat pts32
2000, still college:

Michael Vick didn't expect to be a football hero, but his performance in the sugar bowl made it happen.
Randy King The Roanoke Times
August 24, 2000
Roanoke Times & World News

It was a couple days after the Jan.4 Sugar Bowl when Michael Vick fully recognized a sudden audible was in the works.

Thing was, Vick had absolutely no control over this line-of- scrimmage check-off that would forever change his play in the game of life.

"After the Sugar Bowl, I pretty much realized that things would never ever be the same again for Michael Vick," Virginia Tech's young, superstud quarterback said.

"Just like that, in the time it takes to play one football game, the whole world changed for Michael Vick. If you think about it, it's crazy, man."

Though Vick was far from an unknown commodity - hey, he led the upstart Hokies to an 11-0 regular season and finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting as a redshirt freshman - his Sugar show was so sweet that he woke up the next morning in the New Orleans Hilton as an instant national phenomenon.

Overnight, a 19-year-old kid with an infectious smile, swashbuckling swagger and razzle-dazzle moves never seen before had become college football's answer to Elvis.

Forget that favored Florida State beat Virginia Tech 46-29 for the national championship. It seemed everybody else did.

When the lights went out that Tuesday night in the Louisiana Superdome, virtually all the talk was about how Vick dodged, darted, scrambled and escaped for 322 of Tech's 503 total yards against the nation's best defense.

So what if the kid lost the ball on the Superdome carpet twice, including a critical fumble on his own 34-yard line early in the fourth quarter that led to a field goal to put FSU ahead 39-29 and out of harm's way.

Fact was, the game was Vicktimized. Vick's breathtaking high-wire act produced the kind of electricity, sheer thrills and pure magic that comes encased with the molds of legends.

How did Vick do it? How did he turn a prime-time national television audience for repeated flips? How, on the basis of one night, has he become perhaps the most recognizable face of any player in college football?

"I've watched the Sugar Bowl tape several times," said Vick, speaking in his usual soft-tone, sometimes inaudible voice. "I look back at that game and say, 'Why?' Something just got into me that night, I don't know what it was.

"I guess I knew Florida State was up here and people were looking at us down here. Plus, people thought the freshman quarterback would choke.

"But people don't know me. I love competition. I love the challenge. I don't back down from nothing. That's the way I played in the back yard coming up.

"I just raised the level of my game and tried to raise the level of my teammates, and I did. We took it to Florida State. I asked those guys [the 'Noles] at one point, 'Do y'all think we're here for nothing?'"

The Hokies, who rallied from a 28-7 deficit to take a stunning 29- 28 lead into the fourth quarter, may have lost the game, but Vick's incredible effort stunted critics from questioning Tech's big-show credentials.

"I was in Houston the next day after the game," Tech coach Frank Beamer recalled. "I mean, I knew Michael had played a great football game, but it just didn't hit me.

"Then I'm doing a radio interview there and everybody is saying, 'This kid is amazing.' Florida State had just won the national championship and all the people wanted to talk about was Michael Vick.

"And it kind of hit me that he did just show the whole country something we kind of take for granted anymore. He's just a special player."

Celebrity life

In the wake of all the hype and hoopla of New Orleans, Michael Vick said he actually thought his life might slow for a moment or so.

After the Sugar Bowl, Vick returned to his home and family in Newport News for a short respite before classes resumed at Tech.

After picking up some new wheels - a black 1994 Honda wearing 70,000 miles - at a local dealership, Vick was tooling innocently down the highway.

"I was driving home and somebody pulled up beside me," Vick said. "I looked to the side and I could see all these people, like, pointing at me, hollering 'That's him right there, that's him right there.' I got my windows tinted after that."

He got the same kind of dark windows that expensive limousines have, like those long, stretch jobs in Las Vegas, where Vick was an invited guest to the ESPY Awards last February.

Suddenly, Vick found himself hobnobbing with some of the biggest names in sports. For the first time in his life, Vick was left frozen in his tracks when stars such as Tiger Woods, Mark McGwire, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Michael Johnson and actor Danny Glover sauntered over to introduce themselves.

"It simply blew Michael away that all those people actually knew he was," said Bryan Johnston, a member of the Tech sports information department who accompanied Vick on the trip.

"They all said they had seen me in the Sugar Bowl and they admired the way I play the game, the way I carry myself as a person," Vick said.

"That made me feel good inside. I mean these are big-name people. And I was like, man, I just want to continue to do all the things that have gotten me to this point today."

As Vick chatted with Woods, the announcement came that he won the ESPY for college football player of the year.

Some have compared Vick to Woods, the 24-year-old scourge of the PGA Tour. The correlation is that Vick's dominant, highly mobile game, in which he's as dangerous running as passing, has helped spark a revolution of the quarterback position in college football.

"The Tiger Woods of college football, heh?" mused Vick, flashing a wide grin. "Man! Just say I'm one of the best players in college football, OK? But it's great for people to compliment me that way."

Following his ESPY award, the Michael Vick U.S.A. identity quotient skyrocketed out of control.

Vick has learned celebrity comes with a price: Everybody wants a piece of him.

Vick can't go anywhere in public without being literally swamped by autograph hounds and being a magnet for swivelling, gawking heads.

"I've had to cut down the autographs," Vick said. "Sometimes people would come up to me with three, four things to sign. You do that for 20 people and you'll be out there all day signing autographs. I tell the people one autograph per person, one item per person."

On a recent trip to Kroger in Blacksburg, Johnston said Vick was corralled by a huge group of fans before he could muster 10 steps into the door.

"When I walk in the store, people are just turning and looking at me like I'm Michael Jordan or something," Vick said. "I feel like the same person, but I also feel like a celebrity or somebody. Sometimes people make you feel that way."

Emmett Johnson, a junior split end who shares an apartment with Vick along with former Hokies player Reggie Samuel, said he doesn't know how Vick keeps his cool in the rush of the public eye.

"If you go to the store with Mike, you're going to get stopped a lot," Johnson said. "Yeah, I feel for him in that respect. It couldn't be me. I couldn't handle it. But I don't think it fazes him."

Hokies senior rover Cory Bird, who said he intentionally sits in the back of heavily populated classrooms "to keep a low profile," said there is no available camouflage for Vick. Heck, the guy might as well wear his No.7 Tech jersey all the time, Bird said.

"The camera is always on Mike," Bird said. "You can't mistake his face. I feel for him. But I mean, how can you really feel for him? The man is the front-runner for the Heisman."

Heisman bound?

In the 65-year history of the Heisman Trophy, no sophomore has won college football's most prestigious individual prize.

So what, the experts say. Many have stamped Vick, who last year became one of three freshmen to finish third in the balloting, as this year's odds-on favorite.

"Yeah, Michael is sure good enough to win the Heisman," said Rickey Bustle, Vick's QB coach and Tech's offensive coordinator.

"But, I mean, how many runs can he make and they say he's a better runner than he was last year? How many throws can he make and they say he's a better passer?"

Beamer said he thinks Vick will improve.

"I don't know if his stats will say that, I don't know if the wins will say that, but Michael will be a better player this year than he was last year," Beamer said.

Vick contends he hasn't lost a minute's sleep worrying about the Heisman.

"To tell you the truth, I haven't even thought about it," Vick said. "I wasn't even supposed to be up there [last year], that's what I think.

"Hopefully, one day I'll have have a chance to go up there and hear my name called and grab that trophy. It would be another dream come true."

It appears the kid certainly has a mass media push behind him. Unquestionably, Vick has been adopted as college football's No.1 poster child. He has appeared on the covers of nine national publications since late June, including Sports Illustrated and ESPN Magazine this month.

"Yeah, that's sort of amazing to me," Vick said. "I walk into Kroger and see my face on five different magazines and I'm just looking at it, just smiling saying, 'Damn,' you know. It's just, like, shocking to me.

"The cover of Sports Illustrated ... it doesn't get any bigger than that.

"But know what? You can go in my apartment right now and I don't have a one of 'em. I don't know why. I just don't buy 'em. I don't want 'em.

"All these interviews, I appreciate that. They do get a little tiring at times, but they're not that bad.

"The thing is, I'm not going to be satisfied until I accomplish my goal. All this stuff doesn't really mean anything to me until I get some green in my pocket."

Lure of the NFL

Green in the pocket. When it comes to the subject of No.7, there's not a Hokies fan in captivity who isn't worried that one day soon it will become all about the Benjamins for Michael Vick.

Under NFL rules, Vick wasn't eligible for last April's draft. He will be next April, however, should he elect to leave Tech early.

More than one NFL scout has said privately that Vick would have been the first QB drafted this year if he had been available.

At the conclusion of its coverage of last April's draft, ESPN flashed a graphic listing the top prospects for the 2001 draft. Michael Vick's name was at the top of the list.

"It's impossible to try and ignore that ... it is when they're telling you can be in the first round," Vick confessed.

"But, really, I haven't been thinking about all that stuff. I'm telling you the God honest truth, the only thing I'm worried about is my team and this football season."

But if Vick has another monster season and, say, wins the Heisman, will he throw the stiff arm to college and bolt for the guaranteed riches awaiting him in the pros?

"Yeah, it will, but who knows?" responded Vick, when asked if capturing this year's Heisman could play in his decision.

Although one Tech coach said he'd be willing to lay 100-to-1 odds Vick won't leave before next season, it also appears that most everyone has conceded that him playing four years in Blacksburg is a snowball's-in-hell chance.

"I can't really give you my honest opinion on that," Bird said about Vick possibly leaving early. "You can't blame him if he does, you can't blame him if he doesn't."

Agents cherishing a cut of what will be a veritable financial buffet - Kentucky QB Tim Couch, the No.1 overall pick in the 1998 draft, was worth $48 million to the Cleveland Browns - had caught scent and were bird-dogging Vick's trail home from the Big Easy.

"There have been a couple of agents who have tried to get to me," Vick said. "I just tell 'em, 'You know, if you really want me, then you wouldn't talk to me until I'm ready to come out.'

"My mom has gotten a couple of calls at home and she cuts 'em off real fast. She don't play with 'em, not at all."

Vick is smart enough to know he has to watch out for unscrupulous parties trying to get to him.

"In my position, I've got to be extremely careful of whom I talk to, whom I hang out with," Vick said. "There are people out there looking to take advantage of you and your situation."

In an effort Vick greatly appreciates, Tech is helping its star keep some of the external forces at bay.

Senior athletic director Sharon McCloskey, who is a.ssigned to the Vick beat, talked with officials from the University of Tennessee about how they handled the celebrity blitz on All-American QB Peyton Manning in 1997.

"We're trying to keep Mike's life as normal as possible," said McCloskey, whose office includes a huge box full of mail and correspondence addressed to Vick.

"Stacks of stuff come in every day," McCloskey said. "Stuff from all over the country to be signed. I just send the folks a letter back - if they've included a stamped return envelope - saying, 'Thanks, but no thanks.'"

McCloskey has compared the Vick phenomenon to "rock star-like status."

"I've never seen anything like it," she said. "Somebody called from Austria the other day. It's unbelievable."

At Beamer's request, Vick will have a chosen time period each week this season to talk to the media.

"You guys need to have access to him, but Michael's life doesn't need to change so much that he's getting away from what's really important - how he plays on Saturday. Because that's really the bottom line."
 4 years ago '06        #90
ginobili 20|m 39 heat pts39
$11,087 | Props total: 401 401
ouch State took a huge sh*t on this g unit cat lol.... cat keeps bringing up cats being sheep to ESPN, but still watches it religiously I have to give g unit some props though, he has let his man crush of vick get in the way of making something 100% about race.... maybe he isn't a troll, just dumb as rocks
 4 years ago '05        #91
Panopticon 32 heat pts32
2002, Vick starting for the Falcons:

In a class by himself ; Michael Vick isn't the best quarterback in the NFL, but then again, he's only 22 years old. He is the most unique and exciting QB in the league. And no one's a close second.
Dean Spiros; Staff Writer
November 29, 2002
Star Tribune (Mpls.-St. Paul) Newspaper of the Twin Cities

Watch Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick perform and the reasonable conclusion is that a revision of the quarterback position has begun.

If the 22-year-old Vick is not throwing a 40-yard strike on the run after shedding a defensive lineman, he's leaving linebackers in his wake after a Barry Sanders-like move that has them grasping nothing but air.

Breakthrough abilities to be sure, but Vick himself is quick to put any grand position-altering thoughts to rest.

"We've first got to get some other guys to come along who can do the things I do," he said.

Thus the legend of Michael Vick grows with each passing week. There is not another quarterback who can match his collection of skills, a realization quickly spreading through the league.

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, asked earlier this week about Vick's visit to the Metrodome on Sunday, said he has "tremendous respect" for what Vick has done. Never mind that Culpepper hasn't actually seen Vick play.

"You hear stuff," Culpepper said. "You hear a lot of good things."

The testimonials have become a Sunday ritual.

"Frightening. Absolutely frightening," Tampa Bay's Warren Sapp said.

"He's pretty close to a cheetah," Carolina linebacker Will Witherspoon said.

"He is a Frankenstein," Indianapolis General Manager Bill Polian said.

Atlanta coach Dan Reeves was enough of a believer prior to the 2001 draft to engineer a trade with San Diego for the No. 1 pick to land Vick, who entered the draft after his sophomore season. Two spectacular years at Virginia Tech got the football world's attention, and after a one-year apprenticeship with the Falcons, Vick has catapulted to superstar status.

"He's just one of those guys who just doesn't come along very often - in any sport," said Jeff Robinson, the Vikings' coordinator of pro personnel. "There's a handful of guys who, whenever they do something, you go, 'Wow.' He's one of those guys."

The Falcons are riding a seven-game unbeaten streak (6-0-1), and Reeves points to Vick as the driving force. Vick has completed nearly 60 percent of his passes (150 of 252), throwing nine touchdown passes and only two interceptions. His 90.4 quarterback rating ties him for third in the NFC and his 475 yards rushing lead all NFL quarterbacks.

One of a kind

Vick's elusiveness and ability to turn broken plays into big ones has evoked the name "Houdini" among his teammates. And it's why Robinson agrees that what we're witnessing is a one-man revolution.

"I don't think you can say this is the new model because you can't get them," Robinson said. "The new model might be the Steve Youngs, the Donovan McNabbs, the Daunte Culpeppers, mobile quarterbacks with strong arms. This guy's difference is how quick those feet move."

The 6-foot, 215-pound Vick runs the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds. To give that some perspective, Vikings running back Michael Bennett, a Big Ten champion sprinter in college, has a personal best of 4.19.

"In a footrace I'd probably beat him," Bennett said. "But in a scramble drill he'll kick my butt."

Vick throws with his left arm (he does most things righthanded) like Young, the former 49ers great to whom he is most often compared. Robinson, for one, doesn't want to hear it.

"You would never see Steve Young jump in a hole, jump out of a hole, break a tackle, spin around and throw the ball 40 yards down the field," Robinson said. "That's no big deal for this guy.

"He's a freak, and I hate to call him a freak because we have one ourselves. He's just that type of athlete."

Vikings linebacker Henri Crockett was Vick's teammate in Atlanta last season. He saw a lot of the then-rookie quarterback in practice, and shook his head and smiled when recalling some of the moves Vick made while a member of the Falcons' scout team.

"Unbelievable accuracy throwing on the run," Crockett said. Asked how unique Vick's talents are, Crockett added, "There's nobody close to him. He's the fastest guy on any field he plays on, and the receiver is never out of his range."

Vick knows people are talking about him, and he can't help but like what he hears. As Bennett put it, Vick "has a pretty big fan club."

"That does make me feel special, because there definitely is only one me," Vick said. "Only I can do what I do. When people say they like to watch me, it makes me want to do it each and every time I touch the ball.

"I knew I had the ability, the talent and the brain to go out and play the position. Some of [the success] comes as a shock, some of it doesn't."

Pro Bowl possibilities

Aside from winning championships, Vick said his goal is making the Pro Bowl.

"I think that defines you as a player," Vick said. "It means you were the best that year. I think I'll have a lot of years to play this game, and hopefully one day I'll make it."

Reeves said he thinks his quarterback is playing at that level right now, but believes continued success by the team will be the key to Vick playing in Hawaii at the end of his first season as the Falcons' starter.

Reeves is pleased with Vick's quick climb to elite quarterback status but stops short of saying he is surprised by it.

"Every time you say you are surprised it means you didn't have high expectations," Reeves said. "Nobody has higher expectations of Mike Vick than Mike does himself. I'm pleased where he is, and I knew he had the ability. It just came down to how quickly he became more comfortable with what we were doing.

"We made an awful lot of changes in the offseason [including simplifying the playcalling] that I think really helped him, and I think we can see he is reaping the benefits of being comfortable in the system now."

When the season began, the Falcons weren't considered a Super Bowl contender. At 7-3-1, they can not be dismissed.

Not with Vick at quarterback.

"He does what leaders are supposed to do; he makes the other players better," Robinson said. "You look at their team and you wonder how they are doing some of the things they're doing. Then you look [at Vick] and say, 'Now I know why.' "
 4 years ago '04        #92
$2,635 | Props total: 250 250
 egotistical said:
Vick you my dude, but you this guy is a different breed. He is a more pass first type of play, plus he can read defenses unlike yourself. I think RG3 lives the game embodies it. Vick doesn't take it as serious and just kind of plays to get paid.
The reason why RG3, Cam and other athletic black qbs are more pass first type of qbs is because they got to see how players like Vick and Vince Young got treated for being primarily athletes that played quarterback...I bet if Vick could do it all over again, he would be a pass first qb himself...somebody has to pay the price for the success of others down the line
 4 years ago '05        #93
Panopticon 32 heat pts32
"He changed the game".

Vick draws comparison to former NFL greats
Associated Press Writer
December 2, 2002

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) - Wade Phillips compares Michael Vick to Earl Campbell. Dan Reeves thinks of a combination including Bob Hayes, Tony Dorsett and John Elway.

Deion Sanders, who won Super Bowls with dominant San Francisco and Dallas teams, can't compare the Atlanta Falcons quarterback to anyone he's ever seen.

Vick's latest breathtaking effort had the NFL buzzing Monday. His 46-yard touchdown run gave the Falcons a 30-24 overtime victory at Minnesota on Sunday and kept his name among those being mentioned for MVP.

"The guy is abnormal. He doesn't see things that you would see it," Sanders said from his home outside Dallas. "He would expect more. I'm telling you, I guarantee you that guy is like the great players who go home and say, 'Man, I could've done this. I could've done this.' And you're never satisfied. You're never satisfied, because you're looking for that game."

The 22-year-old Vick, last year's No. 1 overall draft choice, was nowhere to be seen at team headquarters Monday. Reeves, Atlanta's head coach, gave the team an extra day off.

Calling from his car late in the afternoon, Vick agreed with Sanders' a.ssessment. Yes, he obsesses over plays that aren't productive. No, he doesn't dwell too long on those amazing touchdown runs and passes.

On the final play, Vick saw a chance to score as he settled under center. With fullback Bob Christian and running back T.J. Duckett in an I-formation behind him, Vick had backup receivers Darrin Chiaverini and Trevor Gaylor facing man-to-man coverage.

Vick took the snap and faked a handoff to Duckett as Christian ran a route to his right. Swinging 10 yards deep in a swooping run to his left, Vick crossed the line of scrimmage and ran past six Vikings.

He was running so fast after cutting to his right that linebacker Greg Biekert, who was facing Vick, and safety Corey Chavous, who chased the quarterback from behind, collided and fell down at the 22 - after Vick ran past them.

"Both of the safeties jumped the receivers outside, and that was kind of funny," Vick said. "When I seen that happen, I knew I had an opportunity to run the football, and then, after I took off running down the field, that's when they tried to come back."

Reeves, who coached Elway in Denver and Dorsett in Dallas and played alongside Hayes with the Cowboys, watched Minnesota's defense employ schemes they hadn't used all year. Vick made some poor choices in losing two fumbles and throwing an interception. But those mistakes were overcome with a 39-yard touchdown pass to Finneran and a 28-yard touchdown run that was a designed play to his left.

"We just put that in," Reeves said. "It's a neat play. Bob (Christian) made the key block, and Mike just followed it right on behind him. We've got a name for it now. Other teams will have to work on that for a while trying to figure that one out."

Vick didn't just have the Vikings hopping. Researchers at the Elias Sports Bureau scrambled to find if a quarterback had ever rushed for 173 yards.

After the game, Elias told the Falcons that Chicago's Bobby Douglass owned the record since the 1970 NFL-AFL with a 127-yard effort against Oakland in 1972. Further research Monday showed that Green Bay's Tobin Rote owned the league record with 150 yards against Chicago on Nov. 18, 1951.

"He's a game-breaker, and he's a game-changer," Sanders said. "I mean there's a lot of great players in the NFL, but there ain't but a couple of game-changers. This guy changed the game.

"A few people have come along in life in the game of football that change your perception of the game. It changes college coaches to go and recruit, scouts to go and look for this type of player."

Phillips, Atlanta's defensive coordinator, was working on his father Bum Phillips' staff in Houston when Campbell stormed into the NFL as a powerful record-setting running back in the 1970s.

"Obviously they are totally different in terms of size and speed, but that's what Earl did when he came into the league," Phillips said. "He dominated. He won the MVP as a rookie. Mike's a first-year starter, so he compares in that sense."
 4 years ago '05        #94
Panopticon 32 heat pts32
Last one. I'm not even a fan of his like that, but I hate "revisionist" talk, like Michael Vick wasn't amazing the league just like RGIII is now.

Yes, quarterbacks can run. But this one's a revolution.
Jim Klobuchar Special to The Christian Science Monitor
December 3, 2002
Christian Science Monitor

When Michael Vick plays his game in the arenas of America, the arenas undergo a sudden transformation. For a day they are no longer football stadiums. With Vick on the field, you can legitimately call them concert halls.

It's not artistry that produces this alchemy. Michael Vick is a professional football player, a 22-year-old quarterback who in less than two seasons with the Atlanta Falcons has turned the National Football League inside out. At this point in his career he is less an artist than a force of nature, an intuitive athlete whose extraordinary and impulsive playmaking turns opposing crowds into claques of admirers. You can almost hear a few distant "bravos."

In two years he has become a kind of shared resource among the crowds of professional football. He's achieved that status with his daring and his arsenal of athletic gifts, a young man whose zest makes him play like a millionaire Huckleberry Finn who can't wait until the next play.

When another football star performs in front of a hostile crowd, he can usually expect just that - hostility. He can expect jeers and taunts and the normal quota of casual vulgarity. But what Michael Vick gets essentially is large eyes and wonderment. Sometimes this graduates into the gallery's ultimate salute to a visiting athlete, applause. Only people like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, and a few others had reached that level of appreciation.

For all this he offers some straightforward recognition. He told a reporter: "When people say they like to watch me, it makes me want to do it every time I touch the ball." That drive hasn't just pleased fans, it has put the Falcons in the playoff running.

What happened Sunday in Minneapolis, where Vick won the game 30- 24 in overtime by running 46 yards to a touchdown, went past the venues of the concert stage and stadium and moved the game into the burlesque theater. His quick shifts of direction at high speed were so abrupt that two of his Viking pursuers collided and sagged into futility. It was no coincidence that Vick's climactic run thrust him into the record books with his 173 yards rushing, the most for any QB since the National and American Football Leagues joined 30 years ago.

Quarterbacks are historically paid to throw the ball. This Vick does with good to middling quality. But it's possible no quarterback has ever run with the combined speed, power, and ad lib instinct that Vick brought to Atlanta from his two years at Virginia Tech.

His rivals, who know something unique when they see it, tumble over themselves trying to characterize the play of Michael Vick. Tampa Bay's Warren Sapp, who is glib, weighs 300 pounds, and is ready to f!ght the world every Sunday, is suddenly terse describing Vick: "He is frightening. Absolutely frightening." Another player compared him with a cheetah. A general manager raised the bar for metaphors and called him "a Frankenstein."

Whoa. Is one young football player worth all of this rhetorical excess? Well, yes. Vick plays a position that has been reinvented radically in pro football since the time when only Fran Tarkenton of the Vikings defied orthodoxy and deserted the so-called protective pocket formed by his blockers. Tarkenton ran instead of passed whenever he seemed in danger of being decapitated by onrushing linemen, which was often in his early years.

Vick, though, is part of an oncoming wave of change. Most of the rising young quarterbacks today are players who have the physical skills to improvise when their pass protection evaporates. This means they have to be serious runners. Steve Young of the 49ers was one. But the athletic quarterbacks started to arrive high on the pro draft charts with emergence of African-American quarterbacks in large numbers in college football. Those discoveries were clearly overdue. But today pro football gives you Donovan McNabb of Philadelphia, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota, and others, yet none with quite the startling impact of Michael Vick.

He is a six-foot, 215-pounder who could obviously make a million doing nothing more than running the football. He can throw it with force and acceptable accuracy. And sometimes he throws it with a style that challenges the rules of nature, running at top speed, twisting and throwing against the grain, throwing right while running left. He's a left hander, which further befuddle defenses. Now put it all together. In Minneapolis Sunday, he threw some lousy passes, some gorgeous ones, and one that just skimmed over a defender's reach and into the hands of his receiver for a 39-yard touchdown.

On other plays he ran both spontaneously and by design. They drew up plays for him that resembled the old Southern California "student body left" with masses of blockers in front of him.

He was personally responsible for 346 of Atlanta's 379 yards, and when it was over one of his coaches said: "Have you ever seen anything like it?"
 4 years ago '06        #95
ginobili 20|m 39 heat pts39
$11,087 | Props total: 401 401
 htown said:
The reason why RG3, Cam and other athletic black qbs are more pass first type of qbs is because they got to see how players like Vick and Vince Young got treated for being primarily athletes that played quarterback...I bet if Vick could do it all over again, he would be a pass first qb himself...somebody has to pay the price for the success of others down the line
guess u missed the post about CUNNINGHAM lol..... He got a raw deal WAY MORE then Vick or Young.... Least in ATL they masked Vicks weak spots by playing ground and pound... The Eagles coach Buddy Ryan said fu*k the O-line and a rushing attack... He was way more sabotaged then any of the clowns u brought up

Vick and Young both haven't taken the film room serious... VIck openly admitted this even last year Coaches have figured out how to use these cats better obviously... but RG3 is WAY MORE of a pro then both of them... it's insulting to mention him with either of them tbh... I'm white but I'll take the " so called house n*gga" over both of them any day of the week..... I get in bothers some that he isn't edgy enough, whatever the fu*k that means

end of the day, real fans want to win games... vick and young didn't take advantage of their chances, and lacked work ethic... pretty cut and dry, nobody fu*ked them over

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Opening Night MVP!!!!
21 hours ago
most viewed right now
What Actor/Actress played their role so good you hate them in real life?
20 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nipsey Hussle tweets about Nas' scrapped double album "I Am" & songs f..
24 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This prolly needs to be updated
20 hours ago
most viewed right now
NBA jr smith might have new mj crying meme
20 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oct 25 - Kansas City Man accused of tricking women into rehearsing for..
1 day ago
most viewed right now
Article inside Inside the ‘Deadpool 2’ Fight Over ‘Two Totally Different Movies’
23 hours ago
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Omg wtf YOUNG MA WITH MAKEUP ON
2 days ago
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy