Kendrick Lamar Talks Sherane & If His Dad Ever Got His Domino’s w/ GQ

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
96 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
99 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
78 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
15538 pageviews
38 comments

SM 38164 heat pts38164
space
space
$127,805 | Props total: 67142 67142
Kendrick Lamar Talks Sherane & If His Dad Ever Got His Domino’s w/ GQ

Kendrick Lamar does a “GQ+A” with GQ where he spoke on the real-life scenario skits on his debut album, good kid, m.A.A.d city (which is now certified gold), Sherane, and whether or not his dad ever got those Domino’s. In an excerpt below, Kendrick talks on personal relationship and monitorship with Dr. Dre:

GQ: How important has Dre been to you as far as a personal relationship and mentorship?

Kendrick Lamar: He told me all the mistakes I shouldn’t make in this business, being a new artist. I’m in a position where a lot of dollars will be thrown my way, and it’s up to me to maintain. One of the first things he told me was that anybody “can get a mansion.” He said, “You can get it. It’s nothing to get. You can get it tomorrow. The best thing to do is maintain it—that’s the hardest thing. Keeping it.”
Kendrick Lamar Wants To Rap With Jay-Z & Nas, Says He's "On Their Toes"

"I'm on their toes, for sure," he said. "I remember when I was a young buck listening to them, I was thirteen or fourteen going back to the albums and how crazy they were. They just have a little more experience than me. I wouldn't get in the studio with them and be nervous, I'll put it to you that way. I wouldn't be nervous."

[pic - click to view]

Kendrick Lamar Wants To Rap With Jay-Z & Nas, Says He's "On Their Toes" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

GQ: First question: did your dad ever get his Domino's?
Kendrick Lamar: [Laughs] Nah.

GQ: Were those real scenarios?
Kendrick Lamar: All of those were real scenarios. The fact that I took my mother's car, that was real life. Being in a situation where you're young and a teenager and you don't really have respect for authority... You respect them as your mother and father, but sometimes when they lay some rules down, you break them. And that was one of those situations. Taking that car got me in a whole lot of different situations as a teen, that I tell in the stories. That's what that concept really represents: abusing the authority of losing his Domino's, losing his jewelry, anything else that he possessed that I felt like taking at the time.

GQ: I feel like rappers from LA have a bit of an inferiority complex. They have to represent the resurgence of West Coast hip-hop from the moment they get a little buzz. Did you feel that?
Kendrick Lamar: You know, it's crazy. From the moment I started writing raps, I was always aware of the pressure. I always wanted to live up to how huge Snoop got, how huge Dre got, how huge Pac got. I was always aware. But by the time I got [the pressure], it was a whole new story. When you get that attention, you really have to execute. That pressure turned into a little bit more excitement, a little more dedication in the studio.

GQ: How important has Dre been to you as far as a personal relationship and mentorship?
Kendrick Lamar: He told me all the mistakes I shouldn't make in this business, being a new artist. I'm in a position where a lot of dollars will be thrown my way, and it's up to me to maintain. One of the first things he told me was that anybody "can get a mansion." He said, "You can get it. It's nothing to get. You can get it tomorrow. The best thing to do is maintain it—that's the hardest thing. Keeping it."

GQ: In any of that advice, was he ever like, "Oh, and by the way, put your name on some headphones. That sh*t'll make you millions?"
Kendrick Lamar: [Laughs] No, no, he always told me that he ventured out beyond the music though.

GQ: Is Sherane a real person? Is her name Sherane?
Kendrick Lamar: Yeah, but her real name's not Sherane.

GQ: What is Sherane doing right now?
Kendrick Lamar: I have no idea. Hopefully she's doing good, you know, but karma is a bi*ch.

GQ: I a.ssume she knows that you're doing, ya know, OK. Does that drive you any?
Kendrick Lamar: They watch the smallest things, from the YouTube video with 500 hits to the number-one single and gold album. The worst part of success is, to me, adapting to it. It's scary. Andre 3000 said, "I hated all the attention, so I ran from it." I think about that. The last six months, I've been going crazy, thinking, "Is it supposed to be like this?" Because when the cameras are on and the people are watching, that can make a person want to shut down from everything and everybody.

GQ: Who are the artists that you'd love to go toe-to-toe with, lyrically?
Kendrick Lamar: Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, Rakim, Kurupt...

GQ: Right now, where do you think you stack up in that group?
Kendrick Lamar: I'm on their toes, for sure. I remember when I was a young buck listening to them, I was thirteen or fourteen going back to the albums and how crazy they were. They just have a little more experience than me. I wouldn't get in the studio with them and be nervous, I'll put it to you that way. I wouldn't be nervous.

GQ: The album is out and praised. What's next?
Kendrick Lamar: Visuals... I wouldn't call it a short film but... that should be a hint.

GQ: Are you going to act in it, star in it, direct it?
Kendrick Lamar: Directing for sure. I haven't really thought about starring in it... I can, because it is me and my life.

GQ: Let's say you weren't going to star in it and you could have anyone in the world, who would you have play yourself?
Kendrick Lamar: Anyone in the world? It would have to be somebody... there's one kid on The Wire, Tristan Wilds [who played Mike Lee].

GQ: Who would you have play your mom?
Kendrick Lamar: I probably get Taraji Henson.

GQ: Okay, okay. Sharane?
Kendrick Lamar: I would love to see Rhianna in my movie [laughs]. Looking at this cover right here, man.

GQ: How do you get better at rapping?
Kendrick Lamar: You really have to travel. I could have told you, "You've got to write every day." Of course you've got to do that. But you really have to get out and see different things. I can't stay in Compton. Things get redundant after a while; that's not the lifestyle any more. You've got to get out and travel.

GQ: People love the album and a lot has been written about it. Has anyone misconstrued parts of it?
Kendrick Lamar: A few people think that these stories are just different events throughout my whole life. That story is just one day, one full day. Some things that always happened throughout the days and throughout the weeks, but that was just one particular day that really turned my whole life around and I understood what I should be doing is something positive, which is music right now. They don't know me yet. They might think they know me, but they don't.

[pic - click to view]

Kendrick Lamar Talks Sherane & If His Dad Ever Got His Domino’s w/ GQ | 2dopeboyz

Last edited by SM; 12-21-2012 at 03:06 PM..

38 comments for "Kendrick Lamar Talks Sherane & If His Dad Ever Got His Domino’s w/ GQ"

5 years ago '07        #2
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,599 | Props total: 910 910
fu*k sake if u gon post it, post it

GQ: First question: did your dad ever get his Domino's?
Kendrick Lamar: [Laughs] Nah.

GQ: Were those real scenarios?
Kendrick Lamar: All of those were real scenarios. The fact that I took my mother's car, that was real life. Being in a situation where you're young and a teenager and you don't really have respect for authority... You respect them as your mother and father, but sometimes when they lay some rules down, you break them. And that was one of those situations. Taking that car got me in a whole lot of different situations as a teen, that I tell in the stories. That's what that concept really represents: abusing the authority of losing his Domino's, losing his jewelry, anything else that he possessed that I felt like taking at the time.

GQ: I feel like rappers from LA have a bit of an inferiority complex. They have to represent the resurgence of West Coast hip-hop from the moment they get a little buzz. Did you feel that?
Kendrick Lamar: You know, it's crazy. From the moment I started writing raps, I was always aware of the pressure. I always wanted to live up to how huge Snoop got, how huge Dre got, how huge Pac got. I was always aware. But by the time I got [the pressure], it was a whole new story. When you get that attention, you really have to execute. That pressure turned into a little bit more excitement, a little more dedication in the studio.

Kendrick Lamar: He told me all the mistakes I shouldn't make in this business, being a new artist. I'm in a position where a lot of dollars will be thrown my way, and it's up to me to maintain. One of the first things he told me was that anybody "can get a mansion." He said, "You can get it. It's nothing to get. You can get it tomorrow. The best thing to do is maintain it—that's the hardest thing. Keeping it."

GQ: In any of that advice, was he ever like, "Oh, and by the way, put your name on some headphones. That sh*t'll make you millions?"
Kendrick Lamar: [Laughs] No, no, he always told me that he ventured out beyond the music though.

GQ: Is Sherane a real person? Is her name Sherane?
Kendrick Lamar: Yeah, but her real name's not Sherane.

GQ: What is Sherane doing right now?
Kendrick Lamar: I have no idea. Hopefully she's doing good, you know, but karma is a bi*ch.

GQ: I a.ssume she knows that you're doing, ya know, OK. Does that drive you any?
Kendrick Lamar: They watch the smallest things, from the YouTube video with 500 hits to the number-one single and gold album. The worst part of success is, to me, adapting to it. It's scary. Andre 3000 said, "I hated all the attention, so I ran from it." I think about that. The last six months, I've been going crazy, thinking, "Is it supposed to be like this?" Because when the cameras are on and the people are watching, that can make a person want to shut down from everything and everybody.

GQ: Who are the artists that you'd love to go toe-to-toe with, lyrically?
Kendrick Lamar: Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, Rakim, Kurupt...

GQ: Right now, where do you think you stack up in that group?
Kendrick Lamar: I'm on their toes, for sure. I remember when I was a young buck listening to them, I was thirteen or fourteen going back to the albums and how crazy they were. They just have a little more experience than me. I wouldn't get in the studio with them and be nervous, I'll put it to you that way. I wouldn't be nervous.

GQ: The album is out and praised. What's next?
Kendrick Lamar: Visuals... I wouldn't call it a short film but... that should be a hint.

GQ: Are you going to act in it, star in it, direct it?
Kendrick Lamar: Directing for sure. I haven't really thought about starring in it... I can, because it is me and my life.

GQ: Let's say you weren't going to star in it and you could have anyone in the world, who would you have play yourself?
Kendrick Lamar: Anyone in the world? It would have to be somebody... there's one kid on The Wire, Tristan Wilds [who played Mike Lee].

GQ: Who would you have play your mom?
Kendrick Lamar: I probably get Taraji Henson.

GQ: Okay, okay. Sharane?
Kendrick Lamar: I would love to see Rhianna in my movie [laughs]. Looking at this cover right here, man.

Kendrick Lamar: You really have to travel. I could have told you, "You've got to write every day." Of course you've got to do that. But you really have to get out and see different things. I can't stay in Compton. Things get redundant after a while; that's not the lifestyle any more. You've got to get out and travel.

GQ: People love the album and a lot has been written about it. Has anyone misconstrued parts of it?
Kendrick Lamar: A few people think that these stories are just different events throughout my whole life. That story is just one day, one full day. Some things that always happened throughout the days and throughout the weeks, but that was just one particular day that really turned my whole life around and I understood what I should be doing is something positive, which is music right now. They don't know me yet. They might think they know me, but they don't.

5 years ago '11        #3
Radio Raheem 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,186 | Props total: 473 473
Somebody must have borrowed his dads dominoes? I never could listen to the whole album completely through
 5 years ago '09        #4
Zaosyn 261 heat pts261
space
space
$14,068 | Props total: 1114 1114
 UniVersaceDaGr8 said:
Don't disrespect SM or #TEamSM
 5 years ago '07        #5
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,599 | Props total: 910 910
 Zaosyn said:
how bout fu*k you fu*k boi
 5 years ago '11        #6
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
Yeah where my muthafu*kin dominos

Kenny!!!

It's his voicemail

Where my muthafu*kin dominos
 5 years ago '06        #7
SM 38164 heat pts38164 OP
space
space
 Zaosyn said:
 5 years ago '11        #8
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,809 | Props total: 1192 1192
Great Interview

Also i found this interesting

I think this played a huge part in Eminem's fall off.
 5 years ago '04        #9
W24x55 50 heat pts50
space
space
$12,351 | Props total: 11068 11068
 norcal925 said:
Great Interview

Also i found this interesting

I think this played a huge part in Eminem's fall off.
Yep. Em hasn't left his mansion in 10 years it seems.

You need new life experiences to inspire you and keep you motivated. This can't happen when you are in your comfort zone 24/7. You get complacent.
 5 years ago '09        #10
Ash10 21 heat pts21
space
space
$49,080 | Props total: 8849 8849
why is Eminem like that ?
 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM         #11
N E R D 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thought he was talking about pizza this whole time
 5 years ago '04        #12
W24x55 50 heat pts50
space
space
$12,351 | Props total: 11068 11068
 ash1990 said:
why is Eminem like that ?
His genetic make up? Who the fu*k knows. He is a homebody, its just his personality.

Getting older plays a big part in this as well.
 5 years ago '11        #13
Kobane 163 heat pts163
space
space
$15,105 | Props total: 2320 2320
I figured a couple days ago the Chick name wasnt sherane, cus if so she'd be coming for that GKMC money..

great interview
 5 years ago '10        #14
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5678 5678
What is Sherane doing right now?

too that bi*ch who left
 5 years ago '06        #15
space
space
 UniVersaceDaGr8 said:
 5 years ago '11        #16
space
space
when can i get that name change i been askin for lil n*gga? when daddy ask you for a favor you stop what you are doing and fufill my need okay?
 5 years ago '11        #17
space
space
why did you just respond to your own post with a hand clap then delete it?
 5 years ago '11        #18
shellz386 43 heat pts43
space
space
$5,991 | Props total: 4637 4637
Tristian Wilds to play Kendrick in the mini movie!?

LETSfu*kINGGO!
 5 years ago '06        #19
space
space
Kendrick Lamar Wants To Rap With Jay-Z & Nas, Says He's "On Their Toes"

[pic - click to view]

"I'm on their toes, for sure," he said. "I remember when I was a young buck listening to them, I was thirteen or fourteen going back to the albums and how crazy they were. They just have a little more experience than me. I wouldn't get in the studio with them and be nervous, I'll put it to you that way. I wouldn't be nervous."
 5 years ago '06        #20
space
space
 revinue2244 said:
why did you just respond to your own post with a hand clap then delete it?
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
54 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
114 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
270 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
48 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
70 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - Alien Spacecraft Discovered? Scientists believe so
28 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
11 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
138 comments
2 days ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy