Ask a (pending) neuroscientist

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
141 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
72 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '13        #41
Dubble 
space
space
$172 | Props total: 18 18
Still answering questions or back to studying?
 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM         #42
THEYOUNGMESSIAH  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
after someone gets memory loss, is there anyway to regain it ? what are the main causes of it?
 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM         #43
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 THEYOUNGMESSIAH said:
after someone gets memory loss, is there anyway to regain it ? what are the main causes of it?
There are two general types of memory loss: retrograde and anterograde. Retrograde is the inability to form new memories (think 50 first dates, memento). Anterograde is the inability to recall old information prior to the traumatic event. The former is by far more common, but not common in general.
 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM         #44
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Here was my response to Lucifer:

There's a lot of research on sleep, and less on dreams. However, I'm not familiar with that sub-field. I know certain brain regions that are involved in dreaming but thats about it.

And thoughts are no more than a cacophony of electrical pules. Myself and many other neuroscientists have a very reductionist view regarding that question.
 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM         #45
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lucifer then asked about the how vs. the why behind behavior to which I responded:

. On your point regarding why versus how, could you give me an example that discerns the two. Because from my point of view, the how is the neural mechanism behind the behavior and the why is the adaptability/fitness level. Therefore they are both physical phenomena, only differing in they way we attempt measure them.
 5 years ago '05        #46
Universal~Mind 59 heat pts59
space
space
$12,109 | Props total: 527 527
Random...
I'm someone who very rarely if ever gets a headache... In fact the only reason i've ever had one in my life in the rare occasions I have was for either being dead exhausted (sleep deprivation) or "On E" So hungry that I'm tempted to eat myself.... LOL

My question is, How come headaches seem to be more common than not, is not getting headaches like myself ever, a positive or negative thing? Why and why not, and what exactly is happening during this "repeated contraction and dilation of blood vessels"?

Thanks

P.S. interesting that your focus is memory, just got into memory processes in my psychology class
Best of luck on your educational journey sir.
 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM         #47
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Your question is for a medical student. A headache has nothing to do with the brain. Your brain doesn't "hurt" during a headache.
 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM         #48
Symon  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

Last edited by Symon; 02-16-2015 at 01:44 PM..
 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM         #49
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Symon said:
I read a lot on the internet, but asking a real neuroscientist is something else:
  • Is it possible to raise the IQ, if yes, how and to what extent ?
  • If intelligence is trainable, which part of it is? Is it correct that fluid intelligence will always remain the same (more or less)?
  • The only neuro enhancers and "brain helpers" I knowingly consume are caffeine, loads of sugar and Phosphatidylcholine (in capsules). I'm a student so I need to be focused and concentrated most of the time. Are they safe? What long-term effects do they have? Are the other neuro enhancers you would recommend? Is there food that is specifically good for your brain/your memory? Ritalin and Adderall are not available here in Switzerland without prescription, I heard they boost your brain activity. What are some fully legal substances (don't matter whether in food or medicine) that have similar effects? Because finals are on their way..? Ginseng? Meds with Acetylcholine in them?
  • My daily actions and my habits shape my brain. What besides doing sports/jogging, reading and playing n-back games are specifically "brain-friendly" hobbies I should pursue?

I'm 21 years old, a foreigner (so pardon me for my terrible English. I never spent a minute of my life in an English speaking country), I study law and I'm a tutorial a.ssistant at my university (which means I have good grades, my professor approached me while I was at lunch and hired me on the spot because he had heard of me). I feel under pressure to maintain these grade or even achieve more. I need every type of advice.

Thanks in advance.
IQ scores remain pretty static after the age of six. So no, you can't really raise your IQ after early childhood.

The sugar and caffeine shouldn't be an issue if not over-consumed but once again I'm not a medical student.

And I don't know any brain friendly habits. Stop reading corny magazine articles, lol
 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM         #50
ThaLockerRoom  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What causes addictions and what is the physiological processes for overcoming them
 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM         #51
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1. No.
2. Boost motivation? I don't know. That doesn't sound to scientific, does it?
3. There is no such thing as ESP.

I'm beginning to think you guys don't know what a neuroscientist is/does.
 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM         #52
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ThaLockerRoom said:
What causes addictions and what is the physiological processes for overcoming them

You have to "extinguish" the learned preference for whatever drug it is. Most people use their drugs in the same places, so the environmental cues (in my case it'd be my room) become a.ssoicated with the drug and elicit cravings. Exposing yourself to the places without using the drug will slowly cause you to stop having craving within that place. The physiological mechanisms involve the re uptake of dopamine in the mesocorticolimbic system. I don't know the particular molecular mechanisms though.
 5 years ago '05        #53
gunot86 1 heat pts
space
space
$738 | Props total: 95 95
How do you feel about nootropics(ex.piracetam,aniracetam)? They sound alittle too good to be true
 5 years ago '11        #54
Dray 1187 heat pts1187
space
space
$59,313 | Props total: 25141 25141
I dont agree with your opinions on marijuana.

That short term memory myth has been flawed and proved.
 5 years ago '07        #55
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
Im giving a speech in front of tons of ppl coming up and that aint really my thing.

How do I cope with this? Xanax? Alcohol? Beta Blockers?

Another thing I have issues with my memory
 5 years ago '11        #56
Dray 1187 heat pts1187
space
space
$59,313 | Props total: 25141 25141
 KnicksLost said:
Im giving a speech in front of tons of ppl coming up and that aint really my thing.

06-13-2013, 05:58 PM         #57
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KnicksLost said:

I have social anxiety and use klonopin myself.
 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM         #58
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dray said:
I dont agree with your opinions on marijuana.

That short term memory myth has been flawed and proved.
What did I say about marjiuana? And you're second sentence doesn't even make sense.
 5 years ago '09        #59
Polygod 75 heat pts75
space
space
$3,953 | Props total: 1405 1405
Dunno if your still doing this but I have a question OP:

In theory, would it be possible to simulate haptic touch through the nervous system using a non evasive device on the spinal cord that would utilize vibrations or non threatening electricity, like what they use to cure back pain?

Like if you where to send an electrical signal to the nerve that connects to your finger tip, and simulate hot, cold, rough, pointy, smooth etc?

Last edited by Polygod; 06-14-2013 at 12:27 AM..
 06-15-2013, 06:49 PM         #60
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NefDizzle said:
Dunno if your still doing this but I have a question OP:

In theory, would it be possible to simulate haptic touch through the nervous system using a non evasive device on the spinal cord that would utilize vibrations or non threatening electricity, like what they use to cure back pain?

Like if you where to send an electrical signal to the nerve that connects to your finger tip, and simulate hot, cold, rough, pointy, smooth etc?
In theory, you're second question is plausible. The expierence of hot or cold has nothing to do with the stimulus but how your brain interepts the signal and generates an output in response.

In your first, question, are you asking if you could replicate the experience of identifying an object through touch by stimulating the spinal cord? I wouldn't think so but I don't know too much about somatosensation

edit: by the way you wouldn't stimulate the periphereal receptors (fingers) but you'd stimulate a pathway to the brain not from. Your fingers dont 'recognize' an object, your brain do

Last edited by AA1989; 06-15-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
158 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
91 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
21 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
98 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
51 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
73 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
81 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
184 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy