Ask a (pending) neuroscientist

most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
36 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
106 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
154 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM         #21
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wwwdotcom said:
How did we develop consciousness via evolutionary means?
This is very poorly understood and depends on how you define consciousness.
 5 years ago '05        #22
luvdahaze 99 heat pts99
space
space
$1,770 | Props total: 597 597
 123456 said:
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
from my understanding its lack of water..try drinking more water daily..morning noon and night..how much do you drink? ( water not liquids)
 5 years ago '05        #23
luvdahaze 99 heat pts99
space
space
$1,770 | Props total: 597 597
would dehydration cause the dilation of blood vessel?
 5 years ago '04        #24
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 luvdahaze said:
would dehydration cause the dilation of blood vessel?
yes..
 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM         #25
HammerLarry  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you say injesting hallucinogens are "never helpful" for the brain.
i never tried mushrooms.

but give me one good reason why i should stop smoking pot.

i squeeze time, money, and motivation to smoke this herb. i wouldn't say it's addicting, but it's habit,
or a hobby
i'm just looking for one good reason to quit.. and only use it for big days.
 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM         #26
Dontess  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
neuroscience is still in its infancy, crawling and not even started to walk yet. There is no answer to the question, where does conciousness come from? I think the main focus of neuroscience should be on the pineal gland and dmt!
 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM         #27
Dontess  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've learned epilepsy originates in the hippocampus, where all the memories are stored. I forgot the dudes name but they straight up took out his hippocampus because he had such severe epilepsy. He no longer had siezures but he had no long term memory. If this is the case and epilepsy is a learned response, then can it be unlearned? Can you mentally learn a different response? Perhaps there are cognative ways to go about treatment. I have some friends who are epileptics ranging from moderate to severe and all the Drs do is put them on meds. Some work, some dont. Right now it seems like drs are throwing a blanket over the problem, rather than actually fixing the furnace.

Last edited by Dontess; 01-15-2013 at 09:09 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #28
shadymilkman 10 heat pts10
space
space
space
$4,512 | Props total: 12 12
What are the best methods to memorize large amounts of information in a short period of time? How can I train to brain to become better at memorizing?
 5 years ago '12        #29
Just BizNis 63 heat pts63
space
space
$12,912 | Props total: 2045 2045
OP, opinions on Sam Harris?
 5 years ago '09        #30
MS KRISSI lpe33 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$12,015 | Props total: 7801 7801
 Flying Jesus said:
how do i unlock the third eye ?
you can unlock it by simply by meditating by focusing on it or if you are already a marijuana smoker (not promoting you to smoke)...you might want to know that a hormone/receptor called the delta-9-tetrahydrocannibinol is connected to the receptor that's within our bodies. delta (greek word) which means 4 comes from the hebrew word Dalit. Dalit means, "door or pathway". thc opens that receptor to enter that "pathway". this is the reason why you would notice that marijuana smokers have more creative energy or feel like they have or say they astral projected and so fourth.
 5 years ago '09        #31
ms0m 
space
space
$771 | Props total: 3 3
 Ms_Krizzi_86 said:
you can unlock it by simply by meditating by focusing on it or if you are already a marijuana smoker (not promoting you to smoke)...you might want to know that a hormone/receptor called the delta-9-tetrahydrocannibinol is connected to the receptor that's within our bodies. delta (greek word) which means 4 comes from the hebrew word Dalit. Dalit means, "door or pathway". thc opens that receptor to enter that "pathway". this is the reason why you would notice that marijuana smokers have more creative energy or feel like they have or say they astral projected and so fourth.
I was definitely in a meditative state ( on a sativa strand i think) the night I felt the top of my head vibrate ( crown chakra? )
 5 years ago '10        #32
Alixix 27 heat pts27
space
space
$4,721 | Props total: 25 25
 AA1989 said:
This is very poorly understood and depends on how you define consciousness.
you know what he means by 'cousciousness" .. the thing that makes us what we are and since you say this is poorly understood, does that mean the man knows very little about himself in terms of his mental origins?
 5 years ago '09        #33
ms0m 
space
space
$771 | Props total: 3 3
 wwwdotcom said:
How did we develop consciousness via evolutionary means?
I think it may have evolved along with the rest of the carbon based life on this planet? Plausibly speaking, a theory I heard, diet and genetic mutations that results from it, coupled with the evolutionary time lapse from 'then' to 'now' to stabilize said mutations? Makes sense I suppose . The most unbiased thing I've heard or entertained mentally about this
 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM         #34
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HammerLarry said:
you say injesting hallucinogens are "never helpful" for the brain.
i never tried mushrooms.

but give me one good reason why i should stop smoking pot.

i squeeze time, money, and motivation to smoke this herb. i wouldn't say it's addicting, but it's habit,
or a hobby
i'm just looking for one good reason to quit.. and only use it for big days.
I smoke weed all the time. It's not helpful but it isn't harmful either.
 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM         #35
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ez the Don said:
OP, opinions on Sam Harris?
I don't recognize him as a neuroscientist. He's a public figure with a degree in Neuroscience.
 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM         #36
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 s500 said:
i think that they fail to experiment with the actual pineal glands in lab rats because they arent quite replicated especially when since besides clinical studies are the only ones who observe humans and prescribing to ward patients and lab tests are only lab rats.

some fear the almighty pineal gland
False.
 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM         #37
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 s500 said:
what natural neurons are used to induce mental illness.
why by binding neuro transmitters do we mask these problems yet not know the actual cause?

what vitamin defincenys contribute to mental illness?
Your first two questions dont make any sense. And I'm not a psychiatrist. Stop lumping the two together.
 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM         #38
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dontess said:
I've learned epilepsy originates in the hippocampus, where all the memories are stored. I forgot the dudes name but they straight up took out his hippocampus because he had such severe epilepsy. He no longer had siezures but he had no long term memory. If this is the case and epilepsy is a learned response, then can it be unlearned? Can you mentally learn a different response? Perhaps there are cognative ways to go about treatment. I have some friends who are epileptics ranging from moderate to severe and all the Drs do is put them on meds. Some work, some dont. Right now it seems like drs are throwing a blanket over the problem, rather than actually fixing the furnace.
The guy's name was Henry Molaison. Epilepsy is due to hyper-excitiability in the temporal lobe, which contains the hippocampus. And you've got it backwards. He had no short-term memory. He couldn't develop new memories. This is because memories are produced within the tri-synaptic circuit in the hippocampus and then stored in the a.ssociative cortices. So with no hippocampus, no new memories.

Epilepsy is not a learned response.
 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM         #39
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Alixix said:
you know what he means by 'cousciousness" .. the thing that makes us what we are and since you say this is poorly understood, does that mean the man knows very little about himself in terms of his mental origins?
Yes...
 5 years ago '04        #40
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
$18,279 | Props total: 66 66
Do neuroscientist touch on the subject of dreams? Secondly, what you think about the law of attraction?

Main reason I ask about the subject is to whether see how powerful the brain is, since philosophically, only our own mind exist and through perception we see "reality", but if the brain is powerful enough to alter the reality of which we perceive things. I know this is touching philosophy more than neuroscience but I would like to get your opinion on it. Such as a "thought", what is a thought, does it really exist, can we cumulatively measure it or explain consciousnesses as one mentioned earlier. It just makes me wonder of how powerful the brain can be.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
154 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
51 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
97 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy