Ask a (pending) neuroscientist

most viewed right now
 101
Tmz confirms shot fired and Sean Kingston Getting head kicked in!
151 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 89
Image(s) inside Feb 21 - Malia Obama and her rich friends
91 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 87
Video inside Ass so phat you get arrested
73 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 65
Image(s) inside Future "HNDRXX" Album Cover
60 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM         #1
6957 pageviews
80 comments


AA1989 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ask a (pending) neuroscientist
 

 
Hello all. I'm a neuroscience phd candidate and have noticed a lack of posting in this section. Since many people are curious with regards to how the brain works I thought it ,iChat generate posts here. So to procrastinate during finals week and to liven this section up. ill answer any questions to the best of my ability.

80 comments for "Ask a (pending) neuroscientist"

 4 years ago '08        #2
N/A 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
 4 years ago '04        #3
123456 
space
avatar space
space
$6,210 | Props total: 149 149
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
 12-19-2012, 12:04 AM         #4
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 N/A said:
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM         #5
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 123456 said:
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
 4 years ago '08        #6
N/A 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
 Blood Edge said:
Usually issues like this are psychological and if you've been diagnosed then you've already been through therapy or seen someone. What were the results of your previous treatment?
Never needed therapy, meds specifically for the IBS help some. The SSRI that I'm on helps with the GAD as well. From what I can tell, my maternal family has a history of high blood pressure and chronic stress (overactive norepinephrine levels?), which would lead me to believe that most of it actually isn't psychological, since I had a decent childhood when these issues first began to take place. Western diet, maybe? Or a majority of it could possibly be genetics, from the trends I'm noticing.
 4 years ago '08        #7
N/A 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
 AA1989 said:
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
Thanks for the breakdown. I've actually found L-Theanine to help a good deal with acute anxiety, especially for relaxation before bedtime. It's supposed to be non-drowsy but if I take it during the day it calms me down so much that I actually get a great urge to sleep.
 4 years ago '06        #8
imthatinfamous 36 heat pts36
space
avatar space
space
$7,212 | Props total: 1563 1563
why do i fall asleep when i try to read...laying down
 4 years ago '04        #9
123456 
space
avatar space
space
$6,210 | Props total: 149 149
 AA1989 said:
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM         #10
TimeIsAVirus  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
 4 years ago '05        #11
gunot86 1 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$709 | Props total: 36 36
What did you get your bachelors and/or masters in? And what are your plans after you acquire your phd? If you don't mind me asking
 4 years ago '05        #12
WhiteBoy773 3 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$1,855 | Props total: 0 0
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.


Just burn one...
 4 years ago '12        #13
StandUpNigguh 
space
avatar space
space
$131 | Props total: 46 46
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming sh*t on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget sh*t in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same sh*t as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
 12-19-2012, 11:26 PM         #14
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TimeIsAVirus said:
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
Memory is my speciality. Yes information can be placed in and later release by injecting a peptide inhibiter. Mind control devices?
 12-19-2012, 11:30 PM         #15
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StandUpNigguh said:
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming sh*t on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget sh*t in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same sh*t as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
THC imparirs short term memory. THC binds to endocanbinoid receptors which inhibits the production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) which is responsible for modulatating proteins that are activated during the formation of a short term memory.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM         #16
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fetmod said:
Emotions: simple electro-chemical responses or something deeper..?
The former.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM         #17
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WhiteBoy773 said:
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.


Just burn one...
Thanks, Doc.
 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM         #18
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 123456 said:
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
It's the repeated contraction and dilation of blood vessels.
 4 years ago '10        #19
wwwdotcom 17 heat pts17
space
avatar space
space
$592 | Props total: 64 64
How did we develop consciousness via evolutionary means?
 12-20-2012, 05:18 PM         #20
AA1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fetmod said:
What chemical stimuli/reaction would result in a destructive inner critic/diminished self confidence?

On what level is inducing small seizures, as in through ingesting hallucinogens (mushrooms, etc) more helpful than harmful for the brain?
1- This usually due to a lack of dopamine or serotonin.
2- It's never helpful.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 39
Image(s) inside Stranded Bae: Thot Gets Curved At Airport & Replaced After Valentine's..
239 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 37
Image(s) inside NASA Announcing Mysterious MAJOR Exoplanetary Discovery Wednesday
63 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 23
Image(s) inside Gahdamn! Thick, pretty, AND talented?!
7 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 20
Image(s) inside Simone Biles out here needing a kiss between her thighs (♥)
146 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 13
Video inside Full Marvel Phase 3 Sneak Peek (Epic!)
47 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 12
Image(s) inside First Look At The 2017 Air Max Day Collection
17 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
 12
Article inside Tom clancy ghost wildlands open beta
45 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
 10
Video inside Supreme MetroCards Cause Mayhem on New York Subway
93 comments
1 day ago
@gear
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy