Most Slept On Projects of 2012

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
86 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
13620 pageviews
155 comments

Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
Most Slept On Projects of 2012

With the year winding down it's time to put people on notice so they still have time to listen. 2012 has been a solid year, not as good as 2011 but there's still some dope sh-t that went by the way side. Before we get into it once again here are the ground rules...

Post WHY the project was slept on - Text based like mine will be for the most part or just youtube videos, either way give me more reasons than the cover as to why I should listen.

Post a link to the project* - Pass us the link so we don't have to dig. *If the project is a retail release DO NOT post the link obviously.

Let's get into it...

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

SL Jones & DJ Burn One - Paraphernalia - DJ Burn One

Hands down this is my most slept on project of 2012. I hadn't even heard of SL Jones prior to listening to his tape, I just gave dude a chance & I'm glad I did. This tape has everything from the FIRE production from DJ Burn One down to the careless lyricism up to the serious lyricism & everything in between. Jonesy's word play & hook game are ill also. I can't sing enough praise for this tape, I love every second of it.

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

The second best album to drop this year but not slept on as much as the other two, Skyzoo's lyrical interpretation of Langston Hughes' "A Dream Deferred" poem is one of the biggest reasons of why I'm a fan of his. In his own words...
[This project] is lyrically superior than anything I've ever done to date. That's not to discredit anything that I've done because I'm a fan of all of my work, and I feel like everything I do is supposed to be better than the previous. I feel like I've accomplished that throughout the course of my career, but this definitely goes above and beyond where any other project I've done has gone lyrically.
I'm not sure if I agree with this but it's definitely up there. Lyrically it's easily the best album this year. Conceptually it's the best album this year also. The production despite one misstep is still crazy. I love the trumpet based segues & riffs on the album. Overall this album is just pure flame.

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Oddisee's album will prove sufficient for anyone who loves serious lyrical endeavors. In his own words...
This album is about influence, inspiration, perception & reality. Every song was written in an outside environment, so that I could observe the subjects that would become my subject matter. All too often in Hip Hop, reality is limited to that of the artists own, actual experiences.

People Hear What They See is my attempt to liberate the MC from those constraints & allow reality to be penned other than my own. Listening to congressmen & lawyers converse on the steps of the supreme court inspired 'American Greed', Watching a couple argue over the phone in a bar inspired 'Maybes'. By having a visual representation of my subject matter, my hopes are that the listener will see them through the worlds & melodies of my songs.
There aren't any "bad" beats on this LP but the lyrics definitely outshine the instrumentation. This album was for a while in contention for album of the year. I don't spin it that much but it definitely was nice.

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Rockie Fresh - Driving 88 - DJ Ill Will

With Electric Highway on the way I'd like to see how Rockie changes since he signed with MMG. Prior to his signing though this gem was dropped. The production is top notch from top to bottom with a variety of sounds + samples. Lyrically if you fu-k with Sir Michael Rocks you'll fu-k with Rockie -- Rockie being the better emcee lyrically (slightly) though. For a young cat his flow & mic presence are both dope.

[video - click to view]

155 comments for "Most Slept On Projects of 2012"

5 years ago '11        #2
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
*Reserved...
 5 years ago '11        #3
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,821 | Props total: 1229 1229
Once i finish up some listens i'll post a few up.
You think R.A.P. Music counts as being slept on?
 5 years ago '11        #4
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
 norcal925 said:
Once i finish up some listens i'll post a few up.
You think R.A.P. Music counts as being slept on?
Yeah that's actually one of the albums I was gonna put in the post I reserved. I just didn't want the OP to be super long...
 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM         #5
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Ca$h Out; 12-11-2012 at 06:27 PM..
 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM         #6
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by Ca$h Out; 12-11-2012 at 06:26 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #7
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
You know what, fu*k it I'll just add them all in separate posts as people post theirs...

EDIT: Phonk$ let us get those links though...
 5 years ago '11        #8
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space

[pic - click to view]

This right here is my favorite CyHi project -- the rest of them were forgettable. Ivy League on the other hand has solid longevity, sh*t Honor Roll is playing as I type this up. Lyrically CyHi has never been a slouch and his word play is reminiscent of SL Jones' but with a little less potency. The production on this is also really dope. There's a few missteps but the dope tracks are enough to compensate for it...

[video - click to view]

12-11-2012, 06:35 PM         #9
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
So many fu*king dope slept on projects this year....

I don't give a fu*k, I think it was a pretty good year in 2012 concerning hip hop.
 5 years ago '11        #10
Retro 83 heat pts83 OP
space
space
space
 Phonk$ said:
So many fu*king dope slept on projects this year....

I don't give a fu*k, I think it was a pretty good year in 2012 concerning hip hop.
Nah it wasn't a bad year at all. For me at least 2012 has low replay value across the board though there is sh*t I still rotate from this year. Not as much as 2011 though...
 5 years ago '04        #11
RoyceDa59 240 heat pts240
space
space
$14,971 | Props total: 4683 4683

[pic - click to view]

Gary Clark Jr's debut album Blak and Blu, obviously this was slept on here on BX because it's a Rock album but this sh*t is easily top 5 releases this year. Production on this album is perfect, it has a perfect mix of Rock, Blues, Soul and Hip-Hop. Even if you really aren't into Rock music do yourself a favor and listen to this, I had never heard of dudes music before and I just decided to buy this album on whim and it was a great decision.

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '08        #12
Hiero 112 heat pts112
space
space
$19,568 | Props total: 2400 2400

[pic - click to view]

A slept-on prelude to his forthcoming album "Prisoner of Conscious". This was most likely slept on because of the slew of mixtapes/projects that came out around that time, overshadowing this one. This mixtape has some great features, and the tracks are blended well cohesively.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #13
SeattleLost 797 heat pts797
space
space
space
$64,608 | Props total: 8489 8489
that sl jones
 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM         #15
Shakezula714 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
seems like every most/fav/underrated themed project threads are started by you uce ...gonna check some of these later...great to see oddisee getting love....ill post some later

[pic - click to view]

Shawn Chrystopher - Love Story
 5 years ago '10        #16
Donny D 12 heat pts12
space
space
$1,178 | Props total: 17 17
 Retro said:

[pic - click to view]

This right here is my favorite CyHi project -- the rest of them were forgettable. Ivy League on the other hand has solid longevity, sh*t Honor Roll is playing as I type this up. Lyrically CyHi has never been a slouch and his word play is reminiscent of SL Jones' but with a little less potency. The production on this is also really dope. There's a few missteps but the dope tracks are enough to compensate for it...

That Cyhi the Prince hook sound just like the Casey Veggies joint on Garden.

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #17
BiZz 67 heat pts67
space
space
$5,444 | Props total: 6 6

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

Last edited by BiZz; 12-11-2012 at 07:46 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #18
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,821 | Props total: 1229 1229
 Retro said:
Yeah that's actually one of the albums I was gonna put in the post I reserved. I just didn't want the OP to be super long...
2nd favorite AOTY, ill post it up when i get off work later.

Cooked Brickz said:

[pic - click to view]

A slept-on prelude to his forthcoming album "Prisoner of Conscious". This was most likely slept on because of the slew of mixtapes/projects that came out around that time, overshadowing this one. This mixtape has some great features, and the tracks are blended well cohesively.

You can thank me for the recommendation
 5 years ago '10        #19
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,528 | Props total: 9908 9908
 Shakezula714 said:
seems like every most/fav/underrated themed project threads are started by you uce ...gonna check some of these later...great to see oddisee getting love....ill post some later

[pic - click to view]

Shawn Chrystopher - Love Story

[video - click to view]

Stays in rotation
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
36 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
76 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
86 comments
21 hours ago