Head of Hot97 responds ON-AIR to accusations of the station not supporting local artists

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
41 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #21
KingK 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$15,250 | Props total: 747 747
That's my big cousin man...
 5 years ago '07        #22
Bkjj11 3552 heat pts3552
space
space
$92,801 | Props total: 70381 70381
I can tell u this...Siriusxm>>>>>>>

We aka Shade45/ Hiphop Nation show love to all nyc rappers.
 5 years ago '04        #23
CA$H MONEY 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,923 | Props total: 3 3
Guess you cats have never heard of formats and payolla.........Southern stations almost have free reign as to what gets played.....Look into radio one and clear channel.......That'll answer your questions......
 5 years ago '06        #24
Bama Boy 100 heat pts100
space
space
space
$57,496 | Props total: 14822 14822
Why are people acting like it's just NY? Radio is trash EVERYWHERE. Thats why I dont listen to the sh*t. Everytime I turn it on its the same garbage pop bullsh*t. Every hour you gone here some combination of Nicki Minaj, Lil' Wayne, Drake, Waka Flocka/Gucci Mane, and whatever popular dance/ignorant sh*ts poppin. There aint a such thing as a "regional" hit nomore. Best you can hope for is a song to get buzz on the internet.
 5 years ago '05        #25
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$37,004 | Props total: 1321 1321
And did this f*ggot just say Sean Price and others need to pay dues to get played on the radio?

My dude Sean Price been around hiphop way longer then these hosts

NYC radio is realy bad but then again so is 90% of radio elswhere. Last time I was in the bay they stayed playing Nikki n lil wayne trash.
 5 years ago '07        #26
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 majestic75 said:
Bullsh*t. Every rapper "sits in the studio smoking weed" no matter where they're from. They don't play NY music because they're not allowed to, because they're corporate puppets.

The downfall of NY in mainstream hiphop (which has always been mostly wack since the early 90s anyway) was a combination of

1. The top NY artists not wanting to share the spotlight with any local artists and being the only talented ones out of NY. Jay-Z started working with Southern artists so he could be the only one on from NY. He let Master P, Juvenile and all of them rock with him and started using that Southern "bounce" sh*t in his music. Nas and every other notable NY mc is guilty to a lesser degree too. This is just the nature of the beat though. NYC is a shady cutthroat place by nature and it shows in every aspect of life here (hence the "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" phrase). You would never see something like an MMG or YMCMB in NY. When Puffy, 50, Jay ,and Nas were all in heavy rotation did they ever think about coming together? Hell no. You couldn't put them in a room together let alone on a song together. New Yorkers are grimey. That's why no one likes us.

2. The radio just latching onto whatever fluff was the easiest to market to stupid people. They're not going to put any effort into promoting good music and why should they? Profit,FAST profit, is the bottom line. It's much easier to gradually dumb down the music and eliminate substance. This makes it easier to continuously churn out potential profit because its easier to make pointless music with no lyrical content. It created a vicious cycle because now you have a generation that feeds into that and doesn't bother with music that means anything, because they know it has no chance of being heard.

It's over. You'll never hear a song like "It Ain't Hard to Tell" on mainstream radio again. If you wanna continue to hear anything closely resembling hip-hop then you better support the few artists that still make it because if they can't pay their rent doing it then they won't.

I hate Hot 97 at least Envy dips in the crates and plays whatever he wants

These n*ggaz got a sh*tty rotation not saying power 105 is any better
 5 years ago '07        #27
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Bkjj11 said:
I can tell u this...Siriusxm>>>>>>>

We aka Shade45/ Hiphop Nation show love to all nyc rappers.
This....

5 years ago '10        #28
ColeWorld 42 heat pts42
space
space
$10,622 | Props total: 1617 1617
 monrowe said:
Elliott Wilson don't support sh*t that he can't d!ck ride so he calling the kettle black... He ain't never told us bout the next best thing until he was able to ride Em...
Elliot Wilson is the biggest groupie in the industry.
 5 years ago '10        #29
ColeWorld 42 heat pts42
space
space
$10,622 | Props total: 1617 1617
Every mainstream hip-hop station in America plays the same sh*t.

That's why Sirius Shade 45 & Hip-Hop Nation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other radio station
 5 years ago '06        #30
Fiya Starter 4 heat pts
space
space
$850 | Props total: 32 32
shade 45 and hip hop nation do the same thing, just not as bad. Some days I get in the whip and I swear future be playing on wgci, foxhole, shade45, hip hop nation, and the heat at the samedamntime
 5 years ago '05        #31
bqstudios 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,968 | Props total: 1918 1918
As a studio owner and dam good engineer for over 10 years i work with alot of up and coming rappers and singers. and i agree with this jerk ebro. hate to admit cause i personally dont like the dude, but ny rappers aint grindin hard enough. nigaz just wanna record smoke , drink and let the music sit in they laptops for years before droppin music. I tell my dudes all the time. DROP music, consisntintly, drop a mixtape , then 5/6 months later drop another one, then onther one, until you get a buzz and build a following of fans. Dudes be expecting and hopein they just gonna create a hit and boom they on. most of the time that sh*t dont happen.

look at french montana, dude is not the best rapper out at all, especially in Ny but his grind is no joke. he works hard and floods the streets with music consistintly. he spends money on puttin out mixtapes and videos which alot of these broke a.ss rappers aint doin. Anybody that disagrees with that shouldnt even be in this business, just quit now and save yourself the agravation. remember, just cause your nice dont mean sh*t, your grind gotta match your talent.
 5 years ago '04        #32
hedake 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$5,653 | Props total: 10129 10129
ebro with a terrible comeback/excuse....

anyway: wfan >>>>>>>hot97.......

fm radio died a long time ago...they act like playing the same 5-10 songs repeatedly is ok
 5 years ago '04        #33
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,217 | Props total: 2115 2115
How you put Sean Price in the same league as those other dudes? He been putting in work for a minute now and is much more established then those other cats.
 5 years ago '08        #34
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,742 | Props total: 1228 1228
sean price as a minor league??

5 years ago '12        #35
sigNN 14 heat pts14
space
space
$6,927 | Props total: 3898 3898
 Matt504 said:
It would've been perfect if they had played Trinidad James after that segment.
because his not a ny native read you should try it, comes in handy sometimes
 5 years ago '04        #36
pocketchange 150 heat pts150
space
space
space
$12,458 | Props total: 11953 11953
 NO RELIGION said:
n*gga this is your 15359908641132246678th time mentioning that telecommunications act. Would you just go ahead and say how it affects hip-hop,please?

5 years ago '04        #37
TeflonDon 
space
space
space
$2,139 | Props total: 46 46
Hot97 has been supporting Kris Kassanova pretty hard and he's a local artist. Other than him though I can't really think of anyone else that isn't already widely known.
 12-09-2012, 09:19 AM         #38
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if they had black men from NY running the show that type of sh*t wouldnt happen

but they have white boys and corny n*ggas from the burbs what the fu*k you expect

they had that white boy mgk and the EC n*gga on the radio like 3 years ago and all other type of n*ggas

NY just being on some NY bullsh*t no reasons a major city cant play local artists

Last edited by bigree61; 12-09-2012 at 09:22 AM..
 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM         #39
dlettern 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k radio! Any music that is poppin on radio right now sucks! So if they are not playing NY rap, all good with me, that's what satellite radio is for. Hot 97 and all other terrestrial Hip Hop radio stations are for the birds. Keep playing artists like Future, French, and Waka....all of whom confirmed how they have dumbed down their music to attract retards who like trap music....NY shouldn't be a part of that crap....as I press play on my Action Bronson mixtape
 5 years ago '07        #40
Opinion 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,355 | Props total: 276 276
NY or Not...

the stations used to have the power to make and break a artist not known trying to get on...now? n*gga please, the staff at hot 97 could care less about supporting a upcoming rapper they believe in because they got jobs and they tryna get paid. Because if they did, they would slide a artist they believed in and not known into their daily rotation instead of the same song 3 times in a hour. It's that simple.

People request what they wanna hear, and they play it so they go "oohhh don't blame me, blame the people"

But here's the funny part, these n*ggas are only playing the same sh*t for the people to choose from, so its a double edged sword. What? you think the people wouldn't enjoy Saigon? madlib? little brother? joey badazz? ehlzi? hell...mf doom? Don't spoon feed the people the music, give them the whole pitcher and let them decide what gets played.

The only way to get on now is to pass them gwop (which has been goin on for years) or build yourself a legitimate buzz on the streets or internet, either/or long as you have a buzz whether you a street rapper, conscious rapper, party rapper, hell even a nerd rapper...it doesn't matter you have a following and you have some success to some degree behind you aka your buzz and fans

i don't listen to alot of jay, but how many times have you seen n*ggas quote, post, and sig this line "we don't believe you, you need more people"

Last edited by Opinion; 12-09-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
66 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
109 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
131 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
107 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
76 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
190 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
72 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy