Head of Hot97 responds ON-AIR to accusations of the station not supporting local artists

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
230 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Carson Wentz doesnt have a torn acl
108 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
128 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #1
9313 pageviews
61 comments

Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,596 | Props total: 906 906
Head of Hot97 responds ON-AIR to accusations of the station not supporting local artists

Former editor of XXL, Elliott Wilson's accusation: I’ve had it up to here with New York City radio. After hearing the same three songs in less than an hour on Hot 97, I tweeted ”A NYC radio DJ could incorporate at LEAST 5 local records into their daily mix. But they don’t. Kinda sad. Yo @oldmanebro, change must come!”

@oldmanebro is Ebro Darden. He’s an Oakland native and Program Director of Hot 97. PDs are the boss of a radio station. Ebro responded to my tweet and a debate ensued including Hot 97 personalities Peter Rosenberg and Tat Wza.

[video - click to view]

61 comments for "Head of Hot97 responds ON-AIR to accusations of the station not supporting local artists"

5 years ago '04        #2
pocketchange 149 heat pts149
space
space
space
$12,388 | Props total: 11875 11875
What do you mean "head" of Hot97? But yeah he was talking the truth.
 5 years ago '07        #3
Jayceon 492 heat pts492 OP
space
space
 pocketchange said:
What do you mean "head" of Hot97? But yeah he was talking the truth.
read descrip above video
 5 years ago '05        #4
monrowe 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,021 | Props total: 537 537
Elliott Wilson don't support sh*t that he can't d!ck ride so he calling the kettle black... He ain't never told us bout the next best thing until he was able to ride Em...
 12-08-2012, 07:36 AM         #5
Mark Stan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Does he really decide what goes on the air or do the radio station owners decide? I look at program directors as just puppets, no real power. All the power is corporate and above with the suits.
 5 years ago '04        #6
pocketchange 149 heat pts149
space
space
space
$12,388 | Props total: 11875 11875
 Mark Stan said:
Does he really decide what goes on the air or do the radio station owners decide? I look at program directors as just puppets, no real power. All the power is corporate and above with the suits.
I doubt they decide, but I'm sure they probably have rules and regulations about what need to be played and what they can attempt to play. The people that own Hot97 own more radio stations across the nation majority aren't even rap and their offices aren't even located in NYC, and I'm sure they don't have time to decide what they should be playing on the air.
 5 years ago '08        #7
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23314 23314
code speak for ya'll n*ggas aint poppin like that.

But really I doubt Hot 97 would put a local n*gga in their rotation as heavy as v103 or 107.9 does down here. Young Scooter's columbia gets play like that sh*t was on top of the billboard 100 down here. Or do they?
 5 years ago '09        #8
YungPrinceNY 474 heat pts474
space
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 621 621
 majestic75 said:
Bullsh*t. Every rapper "sits in the studio smoking weed" no matter where they're from. They don't play NY music because they're not allowed to, because they're corporate puppets.

The downfall of NY in mainstream hiphop (which has always been mostly wack since the early 90s anyway) was a combination of

1. The top NY artists not wanting to share the spotlight with any local artists and being the only talented ones out of NY. Jay-Z started working with Southern artists so he could be the only one on from NY. He let Master P, Juvenile and all of them rock with him and started using that Southern "bounce" sh*t in his music. Nas and every other notable NY mc is guilty to a lesser degree too. This is just the nature of the beat though. NYC is a shady cutthroat place by nature and it shows in every aspect of life here (hence the "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" phrase). You would never see something like an MMG or YMCMB in NY. When Puffy, 50, Jay ,and Nas were all in heavy rotation did they ever think about coming together? Hell no. You couldn't put them in a room together let alone on a song together. New Yorkers are grimey. That's why no one likes us.

2. The radio just latching onto whatever fluff was the easiest to market to stupid people. They're not going to put any effort into promoting good music and why should they? Profit,FAST profit, is the bottom line. It's much easier to gradually dumb down the music and eliminate substance. This makes it easier to continuously churn out potential profit because its easier to make pointless music with no lyrical content. It created a vicious cycle because now you have a generation that feeds into that and doesn't bother with music that means anything, because they know it has no chance of being heard.

It's over. You'll never hear a song like "It Ain't Hard to Tell" on mainstream radio again. If you wanna continue to hear anything closely resembling hip-hop then you better support the few artists that still make it because if they can't pay their rent doing it then they won't.

i seen this first hand bein from ny and bein a local artist from ny

ny is a crab in a barrel mentality a n*gga from florida would support u before the n*gga next door even thinks about it
 5 years ago '05        #9
bqstudios 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,966 | Props total: 1918 1918
As a studio owner and dam good engineer for over 10 years i work with alot of up and coming rappers and singers. and i agree with this jerk ebro. hate to admit cause i personally dont like the dude, but ny rappers aint grindin hard enough. nigaz just wanna record smoke , drink and let the music sit in they laptops for years before droppin music. I tell my dudes all the time. DROP music, consisntintly, drop a mixtape , then 5/6 months later drop another one, then onther one, until you get a buzz and build a following of fans. Dudes be expecting and hopein they just gonna create a hit and boom they on. most of the time that sh*t dont happen.

look at french montana, dude is not the best rapper out at all, especially in Ny but his grind is no joke. he works hard and floods the streets with music consistintly. he spends money on puttin out mixtapes and videos which alot of these broke a.ss rappers aint doin. Anybody that disagrees with that shouldnt even be in this business, just quit now and save yourself the agravation. remember, just cause your nice dont mean sh*t, your grind gotta match your talent.

Last edited by bqstudios; 12-08-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Lurker gave props

5 years ago '06        #10
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,350 | Props total: 827 827
ebro and elliot are f*ckin sheep..
 12-08-2012, 11:54 AM         #11
ThaLockerRoom 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
so basically he can only play the songs that are profitable for his white bosses
 5 years ago '12        #12
FreshBeatzBx 32 heat pts32
space
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 6 6
 majestic75 said:
Bullsh*t. Every rapper "sits in the studio smoking weed" no matter where they're from. They don't play NY music because they're not allowed to, because they're corporate puppets.

The downfall of NY in mainstream hiphop (which has always been mostly wack since the early 90s anyway) was a combination of

1. The top NY artists not wanting to share the spotlight with any local artists and being the only talented ones out of NY. Jay-Z started working with Southern artists so he could be the only one on from NY. He let Master P, Juvenile and all of them rock with him and started using that Southern "bounce" sh*t in his music. Nas and every other notable NY mc is guilty to a lesser degree too. This is just the nature of the beat though. NYC is a shady cutthroat place by nature and it shows in every aspect of life here (hence the "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere" phrase). You would never see something like an MMG or YMCMB in NY. When Puffy, 50, Jay ,and Nas were all in heavy rotation did they ever think about coming together? Hell no. You couldn't put them in a room together let alone on a song together. New Yorkers are grimey. That's why no one likes us.

2. The radio just latching onto whatever fluff was the easiest to market to stupid people. They're not going to put any effort into promoting good music and why should they? Profit,FAST profit, is the bottom line. It's much easier to gradually dumb down the music and eliminate substance. This makes it easier to continuously churn out potential profit because its easier to make pointless music with no lyrical content. It created a vicious cycle because now you have a generation that feeds into that and doesn't bother with music that means anything, because they know it has no chance of being heard.

It's over. You'll never hear a song like "It Ain't Hard to Tell" on mainstream radio again. If you wanna continue to hear anything closely resembling hip-hop then you better support the few artists that still make it because if they can't pay their rent doing it then they won't.
Man u def right bout everything u said except the highlighted part
 5 years ago '12        #13
FreshBeatzBx 32 heat pts32
space
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 6 6
I feel no matter what they should be supporting local artists tho...
 5 years ago '07        #14
space
space
ain't much room for n*ggas who ain't payin to get on radio. only 24 hrs in a day and they ain't bout to stop takin less cash.
 5 years ago '05        #15
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
I don't believe a word of any of this sh*t. Sorry. Everything is about what can get you a dollar, whether you sitting in the studio smoking weed or not.

I knew what the deal was when Envy was charging 2-3k to get 1 spin on the radio.
 5 years ago '07        #16
RubbahBandMayn 6 heat pts
space
space
$12,950 | Props total: 5853 5853
Whatever happened to just playing good music? I guess n*ggaz got to sell their a.ss to get radio play in the 2000's
 5 years ago '10        #17
Fly Elroy 321 heat pts321
space
space
$19,394 | Props total: 474 474
it seems like ny is the only place that they don't play local artists on the radio

everywhere else underground local artists will get some burn if they have a local hit song

that whole thing about making it to the big leagues sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t
 5 years ago '10        #18
TheGift 1 heat pts
space
space
$9,836 | Props total: 8176 8176
 majestic75 said:

Very Strong post! i dont know why people expect hot 97 to play underground hip-hop. that sh*t isnt happening. Even when they were supporting new york artists, they still only played the mainstream hip-hop during the day. Only time you hear underground sh*t is when clue used to be on at 10pm(When he was still at hot 97) or, kay- slay at 12am in the morning. They gravitate towards mainstream sh*t. Always been that way. The labels pay these n*ggaz tp play mainstream music. Point blank period. There's ways to get your sh*t played one time but it aint cheap. If you got 10 stacks, they play your sh*t one time to see if it gets demanded by the general public. If it's a song that requested a lot, they put it in rotation. If not, you jus spent 10 stacks to get your sh*t played once. This sh*t is 10% talent 90% business. They dont give a fu*k how nice you are. It's all about, how can this record generate more ratings for the station. I also, agree with Bqstudios too. NYC artists depend too much on talent and not alot on hustle. n*ggaz dont get out and network. Im not judging because ima victim of that sh*t too. I used to too drop one record and be like "this is it right here. This is a hit." I wouldnt get out and grind to make the consumers and label execs believe it was a hit. When i started grinding, i lost interest because these execs be actin like bi*ch a.ss n*ggaz. Then i started doin showcases and realized that sh*t is nothing but a scam also. n*ggaz make you pay mad money for a showcase that they already chose a winner before the sh*t even started. The promoter of the showcase ill have a artists that they fu*k with on the low in the showcase and they automatically win because thats the n*gga thats running the showcase artists. Then when you win, they pull some BS and you dont get sh*t that you were guaranteed. Bunch of fu*king snakes. If you want ya sh*t played without paying a dime to these n*ggaz, GRIND! Get out in these streets and slang ya sh*t like u slang them dimes and 20 bags. Get the streets behind ya sh*t. Also get on the internet and grind also. If you got the streets and the nets goin crazy, the labels and radio will find you. sh*t requires money tho. Instead of standing in line for those jays for $160, put that money towards your music. You can get those jays when you're on. Like i said before, im not judging because im a victim of the same temptations as the next man for the most part. All im saying is, this is the key to getting were you want to be. Next year i plan on dropping 3 projects and linking up with my n*gga r.burgundy to get these videos done. Time to take this sh*t to the next level.
Lurker gave props

5 years ago '07        #19
space
space
this thread has become... powerful
 5 years ago '07        #20
sleep23rd 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,820 | Props total: 290 290
Whats the problem....if ur talented and nice...take ur talents out of state, make a buzz and maybe...just maybe NY radio will play u if ur buzzin...if they dont...It's back to uploadin ur sh*t to datpiff.com and creating buzz on worldstar and tryin to send ur singles to nah right....owww..I can be someones promoter now....where's them BX artists at?....
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
60 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
21 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
19 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
102 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Report: Rival executives believe Rockets are legitimate threat to sign LeB..
64 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
102 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Ross’ Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
48 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy