Dec 7 - Catcher in the Rye dropped from US school curriculum

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
24 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
160 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
126 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
91 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #41
GoldRush 63 heat pts63
space
space
$2,343 | Props total: 509 509
 Alerts said:
A New Order is coming
 davilla24c said:
fu*k thinking for yourself just be a good worker

smh man these kids are fu*ked

yup, sad to say
 5 years ago '11        #42
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,447 | Props total: 699 699
Man fu*k our education system. They're just breeding the youth to be obidient slave, without imagination and creativity. And while im at it, fu*k the government for allowing this.
 5 years ago '11        #43
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
 SCNC said:
No point talkin' to 'em. They're all god damned phonies. All of them. And if you really wanna know, them sayin' it has to be read in school. That k!lls me. It can only be read if it's in the school curriculum. It's all so god damn phony.
Thats not it at all. The point of school curriculum is to give a basic knowledge and undertanding of certain subjects to students. Lets be honest, not everyone reads for whatever reason. So taking it out of the curriculum could mean permanently taling it out of these kids' lives
 5 years ago '05        #44
ThiZZ 157 heat pts157
space
space
$12,426 | Props total: 5 5
Catcher in the Rye aka the reason John Lennon is dead right now.
 12-09-2012, 03:49 AM         #45
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
No where in the article is there any evidence for Catcher in the Rye and To k!ll a Mockingbird being explicitly removed, in fact the only person who mentions those books is the journalist himself. The only thing stated is that fiction books will be to a degree replaced by non-fiction books. That's it.

This talk about the two books in particular being removed is journalistic spin. Find me a quote, that's not from the journalist, that says that. I've just looked and I can't find one. All I can see is journalists spinning a change in education to try and fuel outrage amongst British conservatives.

All you people lambasting the education should maybe scruitinise what you read more closely.
 5 years ago '07        #46
Cartel-Clipz 28 heat pts28
space
space
$29,342 | Props total: 21240 21240
and so it begins...
 5 years ago '06        #47
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
I enjoyed reading the book. Holden Caulfield is a name ill never forget.
I just hope they don't get rid of slaughterhouse five. Now that book changed my perspective on war back when I read it in high school
 5 years ago '09        #48
SCNC 17 heat pts17
space
space
$4,999 | Props total: 1224 1224
 NateRight said:
Thats not it at all. The point of school curriculum is to give a basic knowledge and undertanding of certain subjects to students. Lets be honest, not everyone reads for whatever reason. So taking it out of the curriculum could mean permanently taking it out of these kids' lives
I was making parody of Holden. That's his syntax in the book.

But I truly do believe the curriculum is too rigid and mechanical overall. It almost forbids creative exploration. If your outlook or answers to questions doesn't fall in line with preconceived notions of what the expected answers are according to the teacher's belief system or the curriculum itself, then you're bound to do bad, speaking in terms of the more abstract of a.ssignments of course. Unless the teacher doesn't care at all about the cognitive progress of the students, and just passes them just because, both cases being detrimental for mental growth.

You do have a point though. No matter what happens, ppl are still going to put reading to the side, especially with TV and the net at bay. It's just that taking books like this out of the equation that's proven time and time again to be relateable to teens for generations is going to strengthen the allure of the less productive and noneducational forms of entertainment.
 5 years ago '07        #49
clipse_designz 
space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 66 66
USA taking that education L
 5 years ago '07        #50
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,322 | Props total: 1109 1109
 sonof504 said:
this is what american public schools have become. teaching kids to be good, obedient workers who aren't smart enough to question anything.
college is no different though... sh*t is on another level though. its all about just playing this game....
 5 years ago '05        #51
Kallywood 
space
space
space
$698 | Props total: 37 37
 ThePainkiller said:
If kids wanted to learn about baseball they could easily watch a game or play it themselves.

DEAD!!!!

12-09-2012, 11:39 AM         #52
Ni2 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you guys have became very predictable. all them conspiracy threads back in 05. ya i remember. this book was part of them and everybody hated on it. cia triggers etc etc. banned then brought back. but now that its banned again you guys still mad. it dont matter.
 5 years ago '08        #53
606robin 24 heat pts24
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 3422 3422
Those were great pieces of literature shame the next generation won't have the same experience..... Well than again most kids attention span to read something is a the level of 2-3 sentence facebook post smfhhh
 5 years ago '10        #54
Shhon 850 heat pts850
space
space
$19,278 | Props total: 23784 23784
 Shawn James said:
to this day catcher in the rye is my favorite book. i read it often.
 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM         #55
StatisticZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm all for teaching kids these days actual trades and skills at a required level vs. elective.. But if they can't replace books like this with "equals", FOH.
 5 years ago '11        #56
NateRight 8 heat pts
space
space
 SCNC said:
I was making parody of Holden. That's his syntax in the book.

But I truly do believe the curriculum is too rigid and mechanical overall. It almost forbids creative exploration. If your outlook or answers to questions doesn't fall in line with preconceived notions of what the expected answers are according to the teacher's belief system or the curriculum itself, then you're bound to do bad, speaking in terms of the more abstract of a.ssignments of course. Unless the teacher doesn't care at all about the cognitive progress of the students, and just passes them just because, both cases being detrimental for mental growth.

You do have a point though. No matter what happens, ppl are still going to put reading to the side, especially with TV and the net at bay. It's just that taking books like this out of the equation that's proven time and time again to be relateable to teens for generations is going to strengthen the allure of the less productive and noneducational forms of entertainment.
Oh sh*t you're right its been too long.

Yeah you have a point about creativity. Theres not much room left for that in our curriculum. You could argue that essay's allow for creativity, but not enough ppl enjoy writing enough(including me) to allow our creative side to take over. Its all about getting the a.ssignment done. And thats rewarded in our system
 5 years ago '11        #57
Backflipz 84 heat pts84
space
space
$14,249 | Props total: 2298 2298
Never read this book
 5 years ago '04        #58
Skilllz 1 heat pts
space
space
$7,250 | Props total: 1396 1396
Catcher in the Rye was my sh*t in high school
 5 years ago '12        #59
Ching king 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,172 | Props total: 48 48
Make math and science a priority. fu*k the rest.
 5 years ago '08        #60
Imagin3 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,112 | Props total: 2635 2635
i didnt read
and idk if this is why theyre doing it
but that book is not for young teens i feel
i read that in 8th grade
i think thats a college book because that sh*ts way more about depression than simply "teen angst" as they frequently relegate it to
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
85 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Sakura, Blanka, Flake, Cody, G , & Sagat DLC SF5
69 comments
22 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
55 comments
1 day ago