most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
126 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
114 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
8142 pageviews
91 comments

esvi 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,262 | Props total: 828 828
25 Rap Albums From the Past Decade That Deserve Classic Status

[pic - click to view]

25 Rap Albums From The Past Decade That Deserve Classic Status | Complex

The last decade of hip-hop history is about the destruction of consensus. The neat, precise stories we once told about rap music in the '90s have unraveled to a degree, as regional histories and commercialization broke down a.ssumptions and rules about the genre's boundaries.

In the 2000s, that intensified. First, Atlanta made its move, becoming a new center of gravity for hip-hop; regional movements shifted media attention to Houston, then the Bay Area. The Internet opened up the genre and flooding the listeners with content became the norm, with artists like Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane having huge, sustained discographies outside the release of any album. Many of hip-hop's greatest accomplishments in the latter half of the 2000s never saw light on a label at all, never mind a major.

A list of great rap albums from the last decade doesn't tell the entire story of rap. It misses some of what makes it the most fun: the one-off mixtapes, the one-hit-wonders, the random collaborations and viral videos. But the importance of the album, a crowning achievement for any hip-hop artist, still holds weight.

While hip-hop has changed in the past 10 years, and the output of official LPs has decreased greatly in favor of mixtapes and loose MP3s, the album is still an art form capable of producing capstone recordings. Here are the ones that transcended their moment.

Get rich
eminem show
the fix
the lost tapes
trap musik
love below/speakerboxx
diplomatic immunity
black album
college dropout
graduation
Madvillain
The Documentary
Be
Thug Motivation 101
F&L
Sean price Jesus price superstar
hell hath no fury
teflon don
carter 3
MBDTF
Man on the moon 2
Take Care
K.Dot GKMC
WTT
flockaveli

[pic - click to view]

91 comments for "25 Rap Albums From the Past Decade That Deserve Classic Status"

5 years ago '11        #2
TooMuchSulli 34 heat pts34
space
space
$1,709 | Props total: 0 0
WTT, get rich, em show, black album, college dropout, documentary

5 years ago '06        #3
esvi 17 heat pts17 OP
space
space
Most of the cited albums were already certified classics for me
get rich (pretty obvious)
the doc (Top 5 production of the decade, Top 20 sequencing of all time, Top 5 mixing of all time)
the fix (really? i though errbody knew it? c'mon it's classic)
love below
Be
TM101
Eminem show (musically, this is another lever, and conceptually thats em in his prime)
black album (best mixed album ive ever heard this past decade)
college dropout (revolutionnary production)

But Flocakveli?
THA CARTER 3??????????? like REALLY??? that's probably the most trash album commercial sh*t ive ever heard

Take Care? too soon
Teflon Don? no. half is pus*y hooks
GKMC too soon.
WTT? too soon.

this list is like a mix between

Yeah definitely!!!
and
NO WAY ARE YOU fu*kIN DUMB?

Last edited by esvi; 12-06-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Lurker gave props

5 years ago '12        #4
Dee352 170 heat pts170
space
space
$10,744 | Props total: 610 610
some of these albums are already classics

but how did some of these make the list
 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM         #5
the synthesis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
that list is too big and 85% those album arent classics

50, Game and Ye only have one certified classic
 5 years ago '06        #6
esvi 17 heat pts17 OP
space
space
 Dee352 said:
some of these albums are already classics

but how did some of these make the list
I thought this list was genius until i came across
C3 and teflon don

i was like u serious?
then Take care? it's not even 1 year old
c'mon

Em show was a close classic to me (really think he deserves it tho, cuz it's something musically)
But TD is definitely one of the greatest album of this decade
Get rich has been certified classic years ago
same with CD
same with the fix (i thought it was common knowledge that it was the first classic album of last decade?)
 5 years ago '05        #7
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,264 | Props total: 9750 9750
Man On The Moon 2?

!!!!

Even the biggest Cudi fan doesn't believe that sh*t to be true. knock it off.

The Documentary is not a classic anymore. The whole point is for the album to age well, and it hasn't.

Take Care

Too soon for GKMC.

The Carter 3 was dope, not too sure it was a classic. Carter 2 is better IMO.

Late Registration > Graduation. Graduation is NOT a classic if Late Registration is not. it is a great album though.

Madvillainy i've never heard, so i won't front like i have.

Flockaveli was fantastic to me, but that isn't a classic album and everybody knows it. Just because you go into an album with low to zero expectations and they get blown away, doesn't make it a classic.

I think King. > Trap Musik, but i have no problems with people calling it a classic since it was still a great album.

TM101 i'd have to listen to that again now to see if i still like it.

When did people start liking Food and Liquor so much? I remember being one of a small minority that defended that album from people who didn't like it, now it's a classic? what changed?

I'm a HUGE outkast fan, but that Speakerboxx/Love Below album hits a lull in Andre's disc and it's sounds even worse all these years later... it's dope, but not an Outkast album like the albums prior... not a classic.

Be is a certified classic for sure.

Sean Price is for sure (IMO) only on that list to just have a non-mainstream album on there kind of like that Madvillain album... if they wanted to do that, they should have had the Blu & Exile on there.

Watch The Throne is a classic now? so let's see, people hated it when it dropped, n*ggas In Paris became a hit, then they liked the album, No Church In The Wild is used in every movie trailer, now it's a classic? you realize how stupid you sound when flip flop as hard as you n*ggas do? so now n*ggas like that track produced by the Rza? and HAM? you HATED that sh*t. i remember. please just stop. if you don't like it, say so and stop switching up because someone else did.

the rest? i'm cool with.
Lurker gave props

5 years ago '11        #8
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
space
$3,829 | Props total: 219 219
No OB4CL 2 though?

It's better than half the albums on this list.
 5 years ago '06        #9
esvi 17 heat pts17 OP
space
space
 WCIB said:
Man On The Moon 2?

!!!!

The Documentary is not a classic anymore. The whole point is for the album to age well, and it hasn't.

Take Care

Too soon for GKMC.

Late Registration > Graduation. Graduation is NOT a classic if Late Registration is not. it is a great album though.

Flockaveli was fantastic to me, but that isn't a classic album and everybody knows it. Just because you go into an album with low to zero expectations and they get blown away, doesn't make it a classic.

I think King. > Trap Musik, but i have no problems with people calling it a classic since it was still a great album.

When did people start liking Food and Liquor so much? I remember being one of a small minority that defended that album from people who didn't like it, now it's a classic? what changed?

I'm a HUGE outkast fan, but that Speakerboxx/Love Below album hits a lull in Andre's disc and it's sounds even worse all these years later... it's dope, but not an Outkast album like the albums prior... not a classic.

Sean Price is for sure (IMO) only on that list to just have a non-mainstream album on there kind of like that Madvillain album... if they wanted to do that, they should have had the Blu & Exile on there.

Watch The Throne is a classic now? so let's see, people hated it when it dropped, n*ggas In Paris became a hit, then they liked the album, No Church In The Wild is used in every movie trailer, now it's a classic? you realize how stupid you sound when flip flop as hard as you n*ggas do? so now n*ggas like that track produced by the Rza? and HAM? you HATED that sh*t. i remember. please just stop. if you don't like it, say so and stop switching up because someone else did.

the rest? i'm cool with.
you sincerly have to k!ll yourself right now
 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM         #10
HoLLiwood Heyti 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Man on The Moon 2 this man makes some of the most sh*ttiest sound collages known to man, and that album of his is considered a classic? Oh gawd
 5 years ago '05        #11
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,264 | Props total: 9750 9750
 esvi said:
you sincerly have to k!ll yourself right now
i'd k!ll myself knowing i'm right though. lol @ me k!lling myself for being right.

i'm from the west and i love the album, but the G-Unit affliation and the amount of albums sold has overrated it.

Tracks like the Eminem track, the Just Blaze tracks and Special = not sounding too well now...
 5 years ago '04        #12
BackBlock_OG 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,959 | Props total: 1094 1094
Get rich
the fix
the lost tapes
trap musik
black album
college dropout
 5 years ago '12        #13
Dee352 170 heat pts170
space
space
$10,744 | Props total: 610 610
 WCIB said:
Man On The Moon 2?

!!!!

Take Care

Too soon for GKMC.

the rest? i'm cool with.

5 years ago '12        #14
The Infamous1 13 heat pts13
space
space
$2,319 | Props total: 9 9
LR
CD
Stillmatic
The Blueprint
Be
Get rich
Lost tapes
Supreme caliente

All get the classic stamp. Everything else is borderline or just solid 4 mics.

Food and liquor is a masterpiece to me but for some reason I jus don't see it as a classic

Last edited by The Infamous1; 12-06-2012 at 03:16 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #15
rockyin4 14 heat pts14
space
space
$6,061 | Props total: 440 440
No 6 Kiss?
 5 years ago '10        #16
FRESCO THE 13TH 49 heat pts49
space
space
$1,771 | Props total: 235 235

[pic - click to view]

I'm having more scrilla
Dollar billas
Equals k!llas
I guess I'm k!lling
Ain't no secrets
Then I peep more secrets
Then you see how I see them
Guarantee your visions

5 years ago '12        #17
FreshBeatzBx 32 heat pts32
space
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 6 6
 esvi said:
Most of the cited albums were already certified classics for me
get rich (pretty obvious)
the doc (Top 5 production of the decade, Top 20 sequencing of all time, Top 5 mixing of all time)
the fix (really? i though errbody knew it? c'mon it's classic)
love below
Be
TM101
Eminem show (musically, this is another lever, and conceptually thats em in his prime)
black album (best mixed album ive ever heard)
college dropout (revolutionnary production)

But Flocakveli?
THA CARTER 3??????????? like REALLY??? that's probably the most trash album commercial sh*t ive ever heard

Take Care? too soon
Teflon Don? no. half is pus*y hooks
GKMC too soon.
WTT? too soon.

this list is like a mix between

Yeah definitely!!!
and
NO WAY ARE YOU fu*kIN DUMB?
U mean its the best mastered album you've heard? Or like collections of hits,lyrics etc?
 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM         #18
the synthesis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol@black album being the best mixed album

gtfoh

The best two mixed albums are All Eyes On Me and Life After death, followed closely by Dre 2001

LAD and AEOM were analogue mixed, you can turn them up loud as you want they will not distort, they have no peak. Both albums were mixed the same way classic rock albums were mixed, no expense was spared, play any song off them and admire the mix and mastering.

Black Album was hit and miss mix wise, its a digital mix album, start playing it to loud and some songs will start to distort, which seems now acceptable in hip hop...

Analogue and tape is so expensive, thats why everyone now only records, mixes and masters digitally, which is why 90's records always have that extra punch about them. Kanyes first album was also analogu.

Last edited by the synthesis; 12-06-2012 at 05:58 PM..
 5 years ago '08        #19
Kingbonafyde 
space
space
$275 | Props total: 0 0
 The Infamous1 said:
LR
CD
Stillmatic
The Blueprint
Be
Get rich
Lost tapes
Supreme caliente

All get the classic stamp. Everything else is borderline or just solid 4 mics.

Food and liquor is a masterpiece to me but for some reason I jus don't see it as a classic
i see what you tried to do there lol
but Supreme Clientele is def a classic
 5 years ago '11        #20
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
This list is hilariously bad. Then again it is a Complex list...
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
54 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
84 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
88 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
83 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy