Animals WERE Harmed in the Making of The Hobbit

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
43 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
116 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
237 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Big Baller Brand Shoe Review
67 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
5470 pageviews
41 comments

Fearless Genius 72 heat pts72
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 740 740
Animals WERE Harmed in the Making of The Hobbit

[pic - click to view]

27 Animals Died During Making of the 'Hobbit' Trilogy, Handlers Say | TIME.com
27 Animals Died During Making of The Hobbit, Say Handlers
By
[pic - click to view]

Sonia van Gilder Cooke

[pic - click to view]

JASON REDMOND / REUTERS
Peter Jackson, director of the Hobbit trilogy

In the upcoming film The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Bilbo Baggins encounters myriad dangers. But no one expected the animals that appeared in the $500 million trilogy to do the same in real life.

[pic - click to view]

According to a report by the a.ssociated Press, animal wranglers hired to oversee some 150 animals used in the films say 27 of them died because they were housed on a treacherous farm full of “death traps,” including bluffs, sinkholes and jagged fencing. The dead include a miniature pony called Rainbow, hired as a hobbit horse, who crashed off a bank on the farm and broke his back. When the wrangler found him in the morning, he was still alive, and later had to be euthanized.

The other dead animals include a horse named Claire (found with her head in a stream after toppling off a bluff), six goats, six sheep and a dozen chickens that were reportedly torn apart by dogs on two different occasions. Two other horses, Molly and Doofus, got caught in fencing and ripped their legs open, suffering significant injuries.

The wranglers for the movies say they tried to alert their bosses and production company behind The Hobbit to how dangerous the New Zealand farm was, but the animals were not relocated.

One wrangler, Chris Langridge, hired in November 2010 to oversee 50 horses, said he tried to plug some of the sinkholes and repair the fences himself. In the end, however, the task was too big: he was the one who found Rainbow the pony dying of a broken back. Langridge and his wife Lynn, also a wrangler, quit the production in February 2011 after witnessing several animals get hurt. They subsequently sent a letter to The Hobbit trilogy’s unit-production manager, Brigitte Yorke, describing the situation on the farm. Yorke replied with a request for more information, which the Langridges provided. They didn’t hear from her again.

Another wrangler, Johnny Smyth, said that even after Claire the horse died and the horses were moved to stables, the deaths continued. He alleges that a horse named Zeppelin died from stomach problems after being given a new kind of feed, though no autopsy was performed and veterinary records say the horse died of a broken blood vessel. Smyth says he was fired from his post in October 2011 after a disagreement with his boss about the animals’ welfare.

The Hobbit director Peter Jackson’s spokesperson acknowledged to the a.ssociated Press that two horses had died unnecessarily, adding that the production company had taken swift action to remedy the situation, upgrading the animal housing in 2011 at a cost of thousands of dollars. A representative of the American Humane a.ssociation, which investigated the farm in late 2011, said the AHA “made safety recommendations to the animals’ living areas. The production company followed our recommendations and upgraded fence and farm housing, among other things.”

According to Jackson’s spokesperson, the production company of The Hobbit no longer uses the farm in question to house animals. He added that Jackson had adopted three pigs used in the making of the trilogy, the first installment of which will premiere on Nov. 28 in Wellington, New Zealand.

Last edited by Fearless Genius; 11-28-2012 at 12:20 PM..

41 comments for "Animals WERE Harmed in the Making of The Hobbit"

5 years ago '12        #2
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,665 | Props total: 375 375
Lets all go on strike to not have this movie released.

5 years ago '04        #3
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2651 2651
The animals knew what they were getting into BEFORE signing on to do the movie, fu*k EM
 5 years ago '12        #4
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
 ruff said:
The animals knew what they were getting into BEFORE signing on to do the movie, fu*k EM
 5 years ago '12        #5
Fearless Genius 72 heat pts72 OP
space
space
 Nest said:
Lets all go on strike to not have this movie released.

i didn't post the article to tell people not to watch the movie because of what happened to these animals. i don't have a problem with anyone going to see this movie. it's just sad that the animals died the way they did especially since these deaths were really preventable. the last place these type of deaths should occur is on million dollar movie sets.

Last edited by Fearless Genius; 11-28-2012 at 01:26 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #6
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
 EnlightenMe said:
i didn't post the article to tell people not to watch the movie because of what happened to these animals. i don't have a problem with anyone going to see this movie. it's just sad that the animals died the way they did especially since these deaths were really preventable. the last place these type of deaths should occur is on million dollar movie sets.
Never said you did. I only posted that because it wont surprise me if this movie ends up on the news for that exact reason.

Lets hug it out
 5 years ago '11        #7
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
All those animals died for a film that won't touch the dark knight
 5 years ago '12        #8
Fearless Genius 72 heat pts72 OP
space
space
 Nest said:
Never said you did. I only posted that because it wont surprise me if this movie ends up on the news for that exact reason.

Lets hug it out
sounds good to me

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #9
monrowe 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,023 | Props total: 537 537
Weak a.ss pony
 5 years ago '05        #10
HiRolliN 109 heat pts109
space
space
$20,268 | Props total: 2461 2461
 Nest said:

Lets hug it out
its been in the news theyve been talking about this for couple weeks already just for some reason its not being perused heavily by PETA like when those horses started dieing during the filming of the TV show Luck.
 5 years ago '12        #11
Nest 19 heat pts19
space
space
 HiRolliN said:
its been in the news theyve been talking about this for couple weeks already just for some reason its not being perused heavily by PETA like when those horses started dieing during the filming of the TV show Luck.
Because 90% of PETA are probably LOTR fans.
 5 years ago '12        #12
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22145 22145
Definitely not going to see this now.
 5 years ago '09        #13
minnesota763 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,752 | Props total: 8 8
nothing to do with the hobbit. its not like they k!lled the animals while filming them!
 5 years ago '11        #14
CarlozRossi 46 heat pts46
space
space
$5,865 | Props total: 3830 3830
 ruff said:

5 years ago '11        #15
Sandor Clegane 68 heat pts68
space
space
$9,255 | Props total: 3738 3738

5 years ago '12        #16
Faythung 1389 heat pts1389
space
space
$15,205 | Props total: 9811 9811
Can't wait for this movie.
 5 years ago '05        #17
white-chocolate 124 heat pts124
space
space
$15,500 | Props total: 1358 1358
PETA gonna have a field day with this if there still around... haven't heard much from them lately
 5 years ago '04        #18
albemarle 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,143 | Props total: 447 447
Not to be funny but why would the American Humane a.ssociation have any say so in New Zealand and wouldn't they have their own type of a.ssociation there?

5 years ago '09        #19
McmasterlockPt2 41 heat pts41
space
space
$12,910 | Props total: 839 839
Cannibal holocaust was much worse of a movie,Google it!
 5 years ago '11        #20
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 1575 1575
animals were harmed making this slim jim im eating too. ill still be there day one
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
105 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
47 comments
1 day ago