Zoe Saldana Still Facing Criticism For Nina Simone Role

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
17 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
203 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
67 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #41
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,366 | Props total: 6377 6377
anybody got examples that would do this movie?
 5 years ago '10        #42
ghettofire 3 heat pts
space
space
$27,164 | Props total: 145 145
if you don't like it, don't watch the movie and put a goddamn tampon on
 5 years ago '11        #43
xo xo xo 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$5,426 | Props total: 422 422
 justinjones said:
anybody got examples that would do this movie?
These are the people I have read that some said should have been considered for the part:

1) Jennifer Hudson
2) Lauryn Hill
3) Angie Stone
4) Mary J. Blige
5) Adepero Oduye who looks like Nina Simone
6) Aisha Hinds
7) India.Arie
8) Viola Davis
9) N’Bushe Wright
10) Nicki Micheaux
 5 years ago '10        #44
Pete Butter 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,637 | Props total: 143 143
I like Zoe as an actress and I will admit that Zoe claims her black & hispanic heritage. I have no problem with her as an individual actress.

However, I think this choice is more about excluding black women with black features in favor of a more mainstream actress with mainstream features.

Its obvious that a "typical" black woman would "look" the part of Nina Simone. I personally believe that this choice is about purposely NOT embracing African/black beauty and features. And this is wrong.
 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM         #45
ManWithoutFear!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Like you muthafuhkas know who Nina Simone is.

This site is off the wall ridiculous.

White people + internet =
 5 years ago '10        #46
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,148 | Props total: 8130 8130
 carltouss619 said:
Nautilus O you are an idiot and you fail to grasp what's important here. I mean really comparing eddie murphy playing coming to america, as a Black face. Are you kidding me? Do you even understand the history behind blackface? Did you even see how ridiculous Zoe looked with that mud cake on her face?
Any time a n*gga say your name in a reply you know they about to say some bullsh*t

So if we really wanna talk shop, you really gonna act like the barber Eddie played and the pastor Arsenio played weren't coonish characters? We find it funny, but those were classic examples of "coons" , as opposed to the strong black character Akeem was. As funny as Coming to America is, if you really look at it, the strong black characters were the African ones from Zamunda, the clowns, coons, and "negative" ones were blacks from America.

If this was Mariah Carey playing Nina I could see the backlash, but Zoe is a super dope actress, this ain't no slouch.

And while you Back to Africa n*ggas wanna cry about Blackface, how many of you complained about Forest Whitaker playing Idi Amin

5 years ago '12        #47
LicensedLegend 11 heat pts11
space
space
$8,611 | Props total: 2129 2129
It's just a movie people. Either you watch it or you don't.
 5 years ago '04        #48
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,074 | Props total: 4419 4419
 Nautilus O said:
Any time a n*gga say your name in a reply you know they about to say some bullsh*t

So if we really wanna talk shop, you really gonna act like the barber Eddie played and the pastor Arsenio played weren't coonish characters? We find it funny, but those were classic examples of "coons" , as opposed to the strong black character Akeem was. As funny as Coming to America is, if you really look at it, the strong black characters were the African ones from Zamunda, the clowns, coons, and "negative" ones were blacks from America.

If this was Mariah Carey playing Nina I could see the backlash, but Zoe is a super dope actress, this ain't no slouch.

And while you Back to Africa n*ggas wanna cry about Blackface, how many of you complained about Forest Whitaker playing Idi Amin

game

set

match
 5 years ago '11        #49
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
bi*ch only likes white men but wants to play a black role get this uncle tom bi*ch outtahere
 5 years ago '07        #50
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,336 | Props total: 403 403
 Pete Butter said:
I like Zoe as an actress and I will admit that Zoe claims her black & hispanic heritage. I have no problem with her as an individual actress.

However, I think this choice is more about excluding black women with black features in favor of a more mainstream actress with mainstream features.

Its obvious that a "typical" black woman would "look" the part of Nina Simone. I personally believe that this choice is about purposely NOT embracing African/black beauty and features. And this is wrong

someone gets it.

Nautilus O said:

what was so negative and "coonish" about those characters? You cant be serious? You ever been to a black barber shop? You don't even make any sense. I mean really negative and coonish? And about forest whitaker I couldn't really tell Its just plain and simple you truly don't understand what's going on here.
 5 years ago '11        #51
1andonlyKingP 105 heat pts105
space
space
$13,300 | Props total: 4381 4381
 carltouss619 said:
Clearly you just don't get it. You act like if they choose Marj J Blige, I would be cool with it. Lets try to get through your simple mind. I don't care if they choose Nicki Minaj, Mary J Blige, or any of these Black plastic surgery having body females. Zoe is not a good pick for this when you have plenty of strong, other Black women that can play the part and don't to have their faces painted to play the part. Or have to throw on a fake afro because they naturally have their hair that way. keep in mind who nina simone is. It's about to be 2013, we don't need no black faces. I'm quite sure with just a little hard work they can cast someone much better

Mary J. Blige looks nothing like Nina, and ain't much darker than Zoe.

And Nicki? That's an even worse choice than Zoe.

This just comes down to you (and plenty other people) downplaying Zoe's blackness just because she speaks spanish.
 5 years ago '10        #52
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 Jimmy Breaux said:
That's different, fu*kwad. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.
Sounds like you befuddled

carltouss619 said:
someone gets it.

what was so negative and "coonish" about those characters? You cant be serious? You ever been to a black barber shop? You don't even make any sense. I mean really negative and coonish? And about forest whitaker I couldn't really tell Its just plain and simple you truly don't understand what's going on here.
My barber acts nothing like that, and Eddie aint that dark. Coming to America is a classic movie, but those characters feed into stereotypes and they needed makeup and prosthetics to pull it off. But apparently its cool for Forest to do the same thing Zoe is doing cause you couldn't tell this n*gga was black as a oil stain's shadow? Or is it because he was playing an evil african dictator and not one of our precious "black queens"?

Denzel looked nothing like Malcom, you gonna call Spike up and tell him he should have cast a light skin n*gga?

just admit you hating cause it makes you feel "blacker" to attack a dominican person for not being dark skinned
 5 years ago '07        #53
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
The problem is them putting on all that make-up and making the role seem forced as far as looks go. If you were gonna do that, you shoulda just found a dark skinned actress who can pull off the role. What woulda been wrong for them to just leave her as she is and at least get the personality down. Wood Harris and Andre 300 aren't the same skin tone as Jimi Hendrix but you don't see them with all types of sh*tty make-up.

Let's be real. This had a lot to do with how many viewers Zoe could pull into theatres with her name since she's now the black "It" woman.

Last edited by Playa; 11-23-2012 at 11:10 PM..
 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM         #54
Games Addict  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I love Zoe Saldana... fu*k... hispanic black chicks like her and Christina Millian are so hot...
 11-24-2012, 02:07 AM         #55
floacism  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Putting darker make up on an already dark skinned person is NOT what blackface is.

Alerts said:
I was listening to this on NPR and this is stupid, hire a light skin Latino to play a darker skin African American just to put a fake nose and dark make up on her.
Zoe is not light skinned. So what if she's Latino? She's still black.
 5 years ago '06        #56
NorthNorthReppa 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,662 | Props total: 474 474
trollolol. So mad over nothing.
 5 years ago '07        #57
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,336 | Props total: 403 403
 Nautilus O said:
Sounds like you befuddled

My barber acts nothing like that, and Eddie aint that dark. Coming to America is a classic movie, but those characters feed into stereotypes and they needed makeup and prosthetics to pull it off. But apparently its cool for Forest to do the same thing Zoe is doing cause you couldn't tell this n*gga was black as a oil stain's shadow? Or is it because he was playing an evil african dictator and not one of our precious "black queens"?

Denzel looked nothing like Malcom, you gonna call Spike up and tell him he should have cast a light skin n*gga?

just admit you hating cause it makes you feel "blacker" to attack a dominican person for not being dark skinned
your truly an idiot. I don't see any other way, to pull off playing old people with out make up Are you that delusional. Second, why are you even comparing fictional characters to REAL PEOPLE!?! You can't be serious, with this whole coming to america angle. Now this guy is bringing up Denzel and Malcolm Clearly this is way above your head and it would be pointless continuing this convo with you, good day.
 5 years ago '10        #58
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 carltouss619 said:
your truly an idiot. I don't see any other way, to pull off playing old people with out make up Are you that delusional. Second, why are you even comparing fictional characters to REAL PEOPLE!?! You can't be serious, with this whole coming to america angle. Now this guy is bringing up Denzel and Malcolm Clearly this is way above your head and it would be pointless continuing this convo with you, good day.
Calling me delusional....
Usage of smileys to discredit my points...
Avoiding answering the questions posed...

Not only did you call out the wrong n*gga......

But
[pic - click to view]

too!

Last edited by Nautilus O; 11-24-2012 at 04:38 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #59
DatKidDex 
space
space
$4,098 | Props total: 386 386
Yall are some ignorant motherfu*kers on this site... some of you know nothing of PR and DR heritage... majority of hispanics latino are blk, spanish and native indigenous ppl mixed... they as black as we are in the states just speak another language... which isnt there own entirely either...
 5 years ago '08        #60
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 7 7
IM curious to know the ethnicity of all those who posted in this thread...because it's fu*kin clear half of you are not even black or latino but want to speak on black n latino issues..

Please speak up so we can embarrass you..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
43 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
81 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
67 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
48 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
36 comments
2 days ago