Zoe Saldana Still Facing Criticism For Nina Simone Role

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
55 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
310 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
5 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #21
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,181 | Props total: 8256 8256
 fatdaddy said:
this is not an issue of performance.

this is about blackface

[pic - click to view]

How is this blackface, when the actress playing the role is of african descent? Was eddie murphy doing blak face when he was in Coming to America?

You n*ggas gotta stop with "they out to get us" sh*t.... The Help was a far more disrespectful movie to black people and black america acted like it was the greatest movie ever.

Fly 2ndComing said:
They could have gotten several other actresses to play this role, especially when there are many who act and sing. I understand they needed the big name for recognition and to draw people to the box office but this is so fu*king wrong.
So fu*king wrong? What if she was the best audition for the part? You acting like actress in hollywood would have turned down this opportunity or weren't given a chance. It's not like they picked Honey Cocaine to play Nina Simone, they picked a women who normally is casted as a BLACK woman.

So if they did a biopic on Phylicia Rashad they can't cast a lightskinned Black Woman cause she's really was Dominican??
 5 years ago '11        #22
1andonlyKingP 105 heat pts105
space
space
$13,306 | Props total: 4397 4397
 carltouss619 said:
shut the fu*k up, its rare and i mean rare when a black latino embraces their african roots. Most of the time they too busy denying it talking about they are this and that blah blah. Too busy kissing the whiteness of the spanish and brainwashed like no other. fu*k out of here
There are plenty of Latinos that recognize their African roots. Just because many of them do doesn't mean they all do. And even if they deny it, it doesn't mean that it ain't true. A lot of them are still black.

Doesn't change the fact that Afro Latinos have it worse than any other Black people. They aren't accepted by anyone.
 5 years ago '09        #23
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,100 | Props total: 1837 1837
 1andonlyKingP said:

Just another example of how Afro-Latinos have it worse than any other Black people.
 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM         #24
more_fya  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Fly 2ndComing said:

[pic - click to view]

bi*ch looks like RDJ in Tropic Thunder wearing a dress
 5 years ago '04        #25
Magnificent Phoenix|m 13 heat pts13
space
space
$7,121 | Props total: 229 229
Only ugly dark skinned fools are getting mad.

Nina was a genius talent, but she sure was ugly and dark.

They're mad because a pretty light skinned girl is playing their beloved darkie.

fu*k outta here with this jealousy and colorism bullsh*t.

You're supposed to be proud, but right now, many of you are acting like n*ggas. We need to do better.
 5 years ago '11        #26
space
space
 Travi$ said:
It's true. Zoe is an example of this.

How many Latin roles has Zoe played? Off the top of my head, I can only think of 1 and that was Colombiana. And Colombians were bi*ching about a Dominican actress playing a Colombian. Zoe has played more roles as a Black woman (Guess Who, Star Trek, Nina).

The problem is Zoe can't play Latinas. Alot of Latinos can't. In the movie industry, they want their Latinos to look European/light skinned. That's why alot of actors/actresses who arent Latino can get plenty of Latin roles (Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz, Al Pacino, Lou Diamond Philips). If you don't look like Spaniard, Italian, Southern European, Mexican, or like J.Lo, you're gonna have a hard time getting latin roles.

Plenty of Black Latinos have talked about this. La La, Christina Milian, Tatyana Ali, Gina Torres, Laz Alonzo. All they're parents are Latin American, and they speak fluent Spanish, but they will be casted as Black way before they get casted as Latino. But yet when that happens, Black people will complain that they are taking away jobs from "real" Black actors/actresses and giving it to these "imposters"

At the end of the day, Afro Latinos have it worse because they aren't accepted by anybody. Other Latinos don't accept them because they are just as racist as Americans. White people look at them as Black and treat them as such. Plus since they are Black Latinos, not only will they make fun of them for their skin color, but also for the way they talk. And even Black people wont accept them, because they don't consider them real Black people. Because in this country, Black people really think that if you speak Spanish, you can't be Black
 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM         #27
Games Addict  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

They're mad because a pretty light skinned girl is playing their beloved darkie.

You're supposed to be proud, but right now, many of you are acting like n*ggas. We need to do better.
Ouch!

damn I love Christina Milian... Black-latin people like me are the hottest on the planet :datass:
 5 years ago '10        #28
Danation 4 heat pts
space
space
$821 | Props total: 13 13
 carltouss619 said:
shut the fu*k up, its rare and i mean rare when a black latino embraces their african roots. Most of the time they too busy denying it talking about they are this and that blah blah. Too busy kissing the whiteness of the spanish and brainwashed like no other. fu*k out of here
Yes, many dominicans don't embrace their african roots, mostly due to the brainwashing that goes on growing up, but Zoe isn't one of them

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Here is a quote from IMDB from a few years ago.

EDIT: So get your angry a.ss outta here. " Rare and i mean rare"... its not that rare.

I am dominican and i know I'm just a black dude who speaks spanish. Know plenty of dominicans that feel the same way. There are just many who don't embrace it. For every dominican that doesn't embrace his or her african roots theres a black person who doesn't want to identify as black. Cant count the number of times i ask a black person where they are from and they tell me "oo I'm 1/8 indian 1/16 english, 1/8 cherokee" etc

Last edited by Danation; 11-23-2012 at 12:34 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #29
space
space
 Danation said:
Yes, many dominicans don't embrace their african roots, mostly due to the brainwashing that goes on growing up, but Zoe isn't one of them

“When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, “¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?” (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don’t understand it, and it’s the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, “Yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman.”) [They go,] “Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita.” (“Oh no, you are ‘dark skinned’”) I’m like, “No! Let’s get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra.” (“I am a black woman).”

Not everybody is like this mothafu*ka
 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM         #30
OnlyOriginality  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Magnificent Phoenix said:

The fu*k you mean we, ol disrespectful a.ss maxi pad.

And no Zoe shouldn't being playing Nina Simone, it's to many top tier dark skinned black actresses to dress this woman up in blackface while also sh*tting on Nina Simone's legacy. fu*k hollywood
 11-23-2012, 12:36 PM         #31
Games Addict  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
another baby crying racism ^^^ shut up dude
 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM         #32
OnlyOriginality  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Games Addict said:
another baby crying racism ^^^ shut up dude
Now it's obvious you're white but your infatuation with black men is pretty suspect, now I'm sorry you wasn't blessed with melanin but that's something you have to learn to live with and if it seems to be to depressing, to much for your feeble mind to endure, then contemplate suicide you could come back and just might be blessed with the same complexion as Nina Simone
 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM         #33
Games Addict  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
but I am black so you're little tirade there is automatically null...
 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM         #34
OnlyOriginality  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is my last reply to you because this thread is not about you or I, but I know what you are black and mexican, you're emotionally disturbed and obviously have self esteem issues. You were placed in retarded classes and you hate your roommate, in others you have a pretty pitiful existence and yes you are white, very white.

You've adopted the oppressors ideology and you're against the oppressed.

Last edited by OnlyOriginality; 11-23-2012 at 04:25 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #35
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,645 | Props total: 2651 2651
Love it when black people get THAT mad
 5 years ago '07        #36
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,337 | Props total: 403 403
 Danation said:

EDIT: So get your angry a.ss outta here. " Rare and i mean rare"... its not that rare.

I am dominican and i know I'm just a black dude who speaks spanish. Know plenty of dominicans that feel the same way. There are just many who don't embrace it. For every dominican that doesn't embrace his or her african roots theres a black person who doesn't want to identify as black. Cant count the number of times i ask a black person where they are from and they tell me "oo I'm 1/8 indian 1/16 english, 1/8 cherokee" etc
Here we go again, we are not talking about Black americans denying their Blackness. It aint hard to see that with all the blonde hair, blue / green color contacts etc. walking around. let's stay on topic. This is about actor who is supposed to play a person who truly embraced their blackness. You can front all you want but a lot of dominicans that look Black get angry when you considered them Black. I've seen it countless of times. Dominicans salons are known to be the best when it comes to straighten out hair for a reason now.
 5 years ago '07        #37
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
 Nautilus O said:
How is this blackface, when the actress playing the role is of african descent? Was eddie murphy doing blak face when he was in Coming to America?

You n*ggas gotta stop with "they out to get us" sh*t.... The Help was a far more disrespectful movie to black people and black america acted like it was the greatest movie ever.

So fu*king wrong? What if she was the best audition for the part? You acting like actress in hollywood would have turned down this opportunity or weren't given a chance. It's not like they picked Honey Cocaine to play Nina Simone, they picked a women who normally is casted as a BLACK woman.

So if they did a biopic on Phylicia Rashad they can't cast a lightskinned Black Woman cause she's really was Dominican??
Nautilus O you are an idiot and you fail to grasp what's important here. I mean really comparing eddie murphy playing coming to america, as a Black face. Are you kidding me? Do you even understand the history behind blackface? Did you even see how ridiculous Zoe looked with that mud cake on her face?
 5 years ago '08        #38
Dj Real Talk 1 heat pts
space
space
$317 | Props total: 6 6
Adina Porter from "True Blood" & "The Newsroom" should be playing this role...
 5 years ago '10        #39
Danation 4 heat pts
space
space
$821 | Props total: 13 13
 carltouss619 said:
Here we go again, we are not talking about Black americans denying their Blackness. It aint hard to see that with all the blonde hair, blue / green color contacts etc. walking around. let's stay on topic. This is about actor who is supposed to play a person who truly embraced their blackness. You can front all you want but a lot of dominicans that look Black get angry when you considered them Black. I've seen it countless of times. Dominicans salons are known to be the best when it comes to straighten out hair for a reason now.
OK... and how many black women you known get perms or use weave?

How can you talk about one without the other

Last edited by Danation; 11-23-2012 at 03:42 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #40
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
 Danation said:
OK... and how many black women you known get perms or use weave?

How can you talk about one without the other
Clearly you just don't get it. You act like if they choose Marj J Blige, I would be cool with it. Lets try to get through your simple mind. I don't care if they choose Nicki Minaj, Mary J Blige, or any of these Black plastic surgery having body females. Zoe is not a good pick for this when you have plenty of strong, other Black women that can play the part and don't to have their faces painted to play the part. Or have to throw on a fake afro because they naturally have their hair that way. keep in mind who nina simone is. It's about to be 2013, we don't need no black faces. I'm quite sure with just a little hard work they can cast someone much better

Edit: I don't understand how people had a problem when Idris Elba's name was brought up to play James Bond. A character whose color has nothing to do with anything, just citizenship. You got a role about a REAL person and it's basically looks like a mockery but "oh she is perfect for the role". I swear everybody is backwards

Last edited by carltouss619; 11-23-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
112 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
117 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
118 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
37 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
75 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
169 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy